ELEVEN - two years ago

Why Me?

[FLASHBACK]              

[Suho's POV]

                She seemed like a typical pick. I wasn't hating on her or anything. In fact, I quite liked her. She was pretty and very model-like; but like everyone else, I did wonder about her. No one ever heard a peep out of her unless they happened to overhear her singing in the practice studios or if they were in class with her.

                I hadn't heard her voice yet, but rumour had it that she sounded like a diva-in-training. I was happy to think she had a good voice, but I wanted to know myself. On top of that, there were a lot of other rumours surrounding her as well. 

                I heard she was abandoned.

                I heard she's a runaway and that she worked as a bar hostess.

                Wasn't she a e?

                How can she be a singer? With a body like that, she'll make it easier as a model! No wonder she worked in a job where sells.

                She's part white, isn't she? What's the other part?

                It had been four months since she first joined the company. She was a huge topic of conversation for various reasons. Firstly, she wasn't Korean; that wasn't a problem because SM has a lot of foreigners, but it was her disadvantage. Second, she's from Australia; this fascinated everyone because so many of us are so curious about that country, but because of the language barrier, we never found out. Thirdly, her proportions; it was true, she'd make a hell of a model, but I applaud her for pushing the boundaries. However, she became an object of ridicule of many of the girls. She stood at 173cm, without shoes! Her high notes were effortless and her dance moves were next to flawless. Fourth, her expressions; she looked cold and unapproachable, which is probably why a lot of the other foreigners didn't think too highly of her either. But honestly, it reminded me of Kris and the way he looked when he first arrived in Korea.

                But beyond all that, I wanted to get to know her. I knew back-chatting behind her wasn't going to help her gain confidence. Many people back-chat the Chinese members and that really hurt me because it's like they're insulting my family. They are insulting my family. And I didn't want that to happen to her.

*

                I'm not sure if she read articles about me or watched videos of my interview, but one day, she caught my eye like a bullseye.

                All 12 of us gathered in the company's cafeteria where all the other trainees were eating as well. She was there too; alone. Her back was turned toward us and she didn't know we were behind her. However, when I walked around across the hall to watch her from the side, I was starstruck.

                I've always had a weakness when girls wear glasses and have their hair tucked behind their ears. I liked it even more when they were reading a book. But she wasn't; instead, she was sketching. Nonetheless, it was a beautiful sight.

                "Hyung!" called Kai. "Why don't you go talk to her?"

                "I can't speak English!" I said. "Not enough, anyway."

                "All right then," said Kai. "Kris Hyung, it's all you."

                "Aniya, Joonmyeon-ah! Be a man," said Kris. "At least introduce yourself and get her name."

                "Her name's Ren," I said, causally.

                "It is?" asked Baekhyun.

                "Yeah, at least, that's what one of the dance teachers told me," I said. "I was about to ask if she was Japanese but then she said that that wasn't her real name."

                "I wonder what she's drawing," said Luhan. "Someone should talk to her. She's so lonely."

                I look another look at her from across the hall. I guess I felt sorry that she was alone. So I decided to approach her.

                Slowly from behind, instead of grabbing her attention, I peeked over her shoulder to see what she was drawing. I widened my eyes and turned away. The members saw me.

                "What is he doing?" asked Chanyeol. "What did she draw?"

                Before I walked away though, I overheard the table in front of her; a group of male trainees gossiping. I had seen these boys around a few times. They always thought pretty highly of themselves. I always felt standoffish about them because they weren't one of the younger trainees; they were about the same age as us, but they were dreamers that were usually lazy to put in the effort for it.

                "Yah! isn't a bad thing!" the first trainee said. "I need something to wind down at the end of the day."

                "Is that why you keep them under your bed?" asked the second trainee.

                "Yah, I told you not to go through my stuff!"

                "Yeah, man, don't mock him; he's got good taste," said the third trainee.

                "Oh yeah? What about that girl behind us," said the second trainee.

                "What? The foreigner?"

                "Yeah, she's cute," said the third trainee. "It won't be bad. You could get respect for getting through to her!"

                "Ask her out, and I'll never bother you about again. Go on! Your English is fine, she'll understand!"

                Ren didn't look up from her sketch book or take notice at all, but I did walk away slightly before turning my head around to see what was about to happen.

                "Hey," the trainee turned around and greeted in English.

                Ren finally looked up, intrigued that someone was actually talking to her. "Hi," she said, simply.

                "Uh..." the trainee stammered.  "You...and...me...uh, date?"

                English isn't my forte either, but even I had to say that was pretty lame. I glanced back at Ren to hear what response she would give him. I was half-expecting a smack across the face or a disgusted expression. But instead...

                "Why would I date a guy who sleeps with under his bed?" she asked, in perfect Korean.

                I widened my eyes even more and my mouth flew open. The other two trainees guffawed loudly, while the first trainee blushed furiously.

                I strode over to the members and laughed. They were laughing too because they overheard the whole thing.

                "I'm guessing that guy really does sleep with under his bed," said Chanyeol.

                I nodded with a hysterical smile. "Oh, she is daebak!"

                "How did...who taught her that?" asked Lay. "Has anyone actually ever hear her speak?"

                "Wah! Yep, I think we'll get along just fine," said Chen, with a smirk. "Oh, hey wait. What was she drawing?"

                "Huh? Oh!" I exclaimed. I was so caught up with hearing her voice that I had forgotten what I saw on her sketch book. "Oh, uh..."

                "What? What? Was she drawing ?" joked Chen.

                "Aniya! You can be such a jerk," I said.

                "Then, what was it?" asked Chanyeol.

                "It wasn't a what," I said. "It was D.O."

                I spotted D.O. flashing the white in his eyes out of surprise. Everyone seemed surprise as well. Why D.O.?

                "Suppose she likes him?" asked Lay.

                "She couldn't possibly," said Chen. "She's too tall for him!"

                "Yah! You have no right to speak," said Chanyeol. "You're not much taller yourself."

                "W-was it good?" D.O. asked me. "The drawing."

                "Yeah! It actually was," I said.

                As impressed as I was with how well she handled the situation, I knew that moment that she wasn't the one for me. But there was someone I was almost positive that would be perfect for her.

                "Kris Hyung! Hyung!" called Kai.

*

[Kris' POV]

                Unable to comprehend the chatter for much longer, I went for it. I could tell from the look on Suho's face that he wasn't going to make it work. Girls' love him for his kind heart, his good looks and his reputation as EXO's money; but it was clear to all of us that Ren was not that girl.

                I knew the trainees in the table in front of her too. They were quite infamous among the girls for being the biggest players. As much as people claim that SM pick their trainees for their looks, they need some talent to work with. These guys were hanging by a thread. And you didn't need to be fluent in Korean to notice it.

                I was just as curious as anyone about her, but as I walked toward her, a million thoughts were rushing through my mind as to what to say to her.

                I stopped dead next to her to glance at her sketch book. It actually was D.O.; and a really good sketch of him too. From my experience as an artist, this girl had talent; not great, but something that could be used to work with. Maybe the company was right to cast her.

                "That's really good," I said, aloud.

                Out of shock, she slammed her sketch book shut and turned her head around to see me towering over her. She looked like she was about to faint.

                "Sorry, I didn't mean to scare you," I said, in English.

                She stood up hastily and bowed until her head was almost touching her knees.

                "Hey, hey, you don't need to bow to me," I said, still in English. "I'm cool."

                "No," she spoke, raising her head. "But I do. I'm sorry."

                "What are you sorry for?" I asked, with a chuckle. "Ha, you're cute."

                "Ne?"

                "You're cute," I repeated, leaning forward a little. "Take the compliment! Also, you're a good drawer."

                "Oh, no," she frowned.

                "What's wrong?"

                "I'm sorry, I'm…"

                Starting from then, I was starting to feel sorry for making her so flustered. I should've known that if she was a big enough fan to draw any of the members, she must be terrified to meet us in person.

                "Stop apologizing; I won't eat you! I'm Kris," I said.

                She took a breath and finally smiled. "I know. I'm a huge fan. I'm Ren."

                "So it is your real name?" I asked.  "Ren..."

                "Not really," she admitted. "My real name's Serenity."

                I had to rack my brain for a little while before I realised how Ren was derived. "Oh! Se-REN-ity!"

                "Yeah," said Ren.

                "That's a cool name. Serenity. Are you a fan of D.O.?"

                "Uh…oh, man…you saw it?" she asked, with a sigh.

                "Suho did too, but then you got sidetracked," I said, honestly. "What's wrong? It was good."

                "No, it's just…they're just doodles," said Ren, picking up her belongings.

                "You won't show me?" I asked.

                "Maybe next time. I have training. It was nice to meet you, Sunbae-nim."

                I cringed. Being the youngest group in the company, I wasn't used to anyone calling me that. "Just call me Kris, or Oppa."

                "Uh...no thanks," Ren stammered. "No, I'll feel like someone's gonna hit me across the head if I did."

                I laughed. "OK, well, take care. I'll see you 'round."

                Winning one last smile from Ren, I watched her walk out of the cafeteria with her heavy back pack swung over one shoulder. It only struck me at that moment how tall she was. Yep, she's too tall for Kyungsoo. It also took me a little while to realise that that was the first time any of us had really heard her speak normally.

                "Hyung-nim!" I heard from behind.

                The three trainees that were chatting up Ren earlier hadn't left.

                "She hates me, yeah?" asked the trainee that did the talking. He had a glum look on his face, but the other two just laughed away.

                I just chuckled. "Aniya, you're cool, hoobae. Just watch the attitude from now. Women are more delicate then we give them credit for."

                "I don't think I'd call her 'delicate', Hyung-nim," the trainee said. "How would she have learnt to speak like that so soon?"

                I shrugged with a smile. "I might just find out."

 

 

 

It's soooooo quiet =(  I wish people would share opinions, whether good or bad...
well...this is my first fanfic afterall, anyway...oh wells...
so yeah, not sure why I chose Suho for the first POV, but I might be meaning to connect them all later on
Ren's backstory will rise as well, but let's see how dramatic it'll get..
and in the wake, I'll share my editted sketch of D.O. - i chose D.O. he was one of the few members I drew that actually worked out ><"