THIRTY

Why Me?

[Kris' POV]

[THREE DAYS LATER]

                "She'll be OK, I promise," said Xiao Mei. "I promise; my bodyguards and I won't leave her side. That's the plus I get in the business."

                "Thanks, I appreciate it," I said. "Look...I have this plan. I need to get Ren on board with it first. But until then...I don't know how soon I'll be able to come back."

                "That's fine," said Xiao Mei. "You and Ren take as long as you need. I promise I'll look after her. She's like another mother to me too. You really love Ren, don't you?"

                "More than anyone can imagine," I sighed. "But you know how to reach me. Not many people do, so keep it under your belt."

                With a last hug, I took one last look at her before heading towards customs. Leaving Ma in the condition she's in was heartbreaking, but at least she knew I'd be OK, and I knew she'd be OK with Xiao Mei.

                But throughout the entire flight, I was constantly second guessing my plan. It was what Ren and I promised not to do, but if I didn't go through with it, there was a chance this might be our downfall.

                I had been skim-reading the rumours online. Both of us had to at least half-expect something to pop up, but her expectations must have been completely different from mine. Things were going to get tricky...

*

[Ren's POV]

                "I'm really sorry," I said to the girls. "This wasn't what I wanted to happen. I'm really sorry."

                A little thing President Kim forgot to mention about me being 'grounded' was that the members would be grounded with me. On top of that, my position as leader was either being contradicted or tested. The girls were put to a truce with the company; to report my wrongdoings or breach of agreement for the meantime.

                "It's OK, Unnie," said Jaekyung. "It's not like we're going anywhere anyway. We're not on tour until way after the next release. But we still have a duty..."

                "Yeah, I know," I said. "You guys do what you have to. But you also know that...whatever happens with me and Kris Oppa is only between us. I won't do anything to hurt any of you."

                "You didn't hurt us, Unnie," said Ruby.

                "Unnie, it's not even us you should be worried about," said Saerom. "We'll be fine."

                "Yes, we will," I said. "I promise."

                Knock, knock, knock!

                "I'll get it," said Kimi, getting up from the couch.

                As she walked to answer the door, the other girls began rubbing my hands and shoulders for comfort. At least I was sure that we'd be OK.

                "Yeobuseyo?" Kimi called into the speaker.

                "Oh, Kimi-yang. Is your unnie home?"

                The voice echoed down the small hall and suddenly struck a nerve in my spine, sending down shivers. The girls all looked up in surprise as well.

                "Kris Oppa? Oppa, you're back?"

                "Uh, yeah...sorry, I didn't let anyone know but...I need to talk to Ren. And I'm sorry but...I either need her to come out or you guys need to leave for a bit so I can come in. Please."

                I wasn't sure how to react. But I did feel like I held it in for long enough. We needed to sort this out.

                "Kimi-ah, please. This is important."

                "OK, OK, I'll get her for you," said Kimi.

                Hanging up on him, Kimi walked back into the living room. She knew that we all overheard everything, but she looked unsure of how to put things.

                "I'll be back," I said, standing up. "You can tell President Kim whatever you need to. I have nothing left to hide."

                I usually don't feel like this when I get to see Kris. If anything, I'd rather run into his embrace to compensate all the time we don't get to be together. But this time, I trudged. Even though I was greeted with his beautifully carved face and 187cm of glory like I always was, we were both wearing sad expressions.

                "Is outside here safe?" he asked.

                "It's fine," I said.

                I stepped out from the dorm and closed the door behind me. At this time, the hall was completely empty, and the neighbours were bound to have already left for work.

                "So..." Kris started, wearily. "Do you wanna go first, or should I?"

                "You can go," I said.

                "OK, uh..." he breathed heavily. "OK, granted; I am so sorry. You really have no idea how sorry I am. The guys told me about your meeting with President Kim. I had no idea they would do that to you."

                "That part wasn't your fault," I said. "I'm fine."

                "Yeah, but it was my idea."

                "No, it was mine. I was the one who insisted I go with you. But..."

                "Your manager forbade you and resigned? Yeah, I know. But look...there's a reason I left without you."

                "Of course there was. Your mother was hurt. I understand that."

                "Well..." he suddenly choked. "Well, that's the thing."

                I crunched my eyebrows. Kris was starting to look scared. I never thought I'd ever see him like this, but his lips were actually quivering in fear.

                "She was ..." he choked out.

                I felt my face go pale white and my jaw drop. I never thought it was even possible for a woman that strong and that loving to have to experience something that horrible.

                "Did they find who?" I asked.

                "That's another thing," Kris continued to choke. "Remember how I told you I don't remember my dad?"

                I nodded. Now I was the one getting scared.

                "I lied. I remember him...oh, too well."

                "Was he--?"

                "He is a monster," said Kris, dragging each word out. "He got out of prison after fifteen years. I mean, they actually let him out!"

                Suddenly, all the anger I was regrettably feeling toward him were gone. There was nothing in my mind but the horror of Ma and what she went through.

                "Wh--How--Oh, God," I gasped. ", baby, I am so sorry. I should have been there with you!"

                "I have to find him," Kris breathed. "I have to find him and put him back where he belongs."

                "Kris, you can't do that right now. I get you want revenge, but you're still angry, and this is the worst time to avenge someone. You can have your revenge, but not like this!" I exclaimed.

                "I know," Kris said, steadying his breathing. "I know, but I love you so much for saying that."

                "Why?" I asked. "Wh-what did I say that was so great?"

                Slowly, his smile came back. "I don't know. I just love you so much."

                For some reason, and I couldn't say what reason, but for some stupid reason, the 'reason' part of my brain decided to ruin the brief moment that just made us happier than the start.

                "So do I..." I said, leaving my sentence open-ended.

                "But...?"

                "Who's Wu Mei?" I asked, woodenly.

                I could feel the pang against my heart. Kris sighed exasperatedly. This was one thing he clearly forgot to mention, including to s.

                "I can't believe I completely forgot about her," sighed Kris.

                "Well?"

                "She's my cousin!"

                Now, I felt even stupider. I was jealous for nothing. But then again, I wasn't supposed to know. But I just felt stupid.

                "She's my cousin, and she happens to now be a model," Kris added. "The last time I saw her was five years ago before she hit puberty properly! But, oh dear God, were you jealous?"

                "Of course I was, damn it!" I screeched, hitting his arm at the same time. "I mean--!"

                "No, no, baby, I'm sorry! I know you weren't supposed to know," Kris said quickly.

                "No, I didn't know!" I screeched. "But...for s sake! A model of all people?!"

                Suddenly I was so wrapped up in working myself up that I began crying.

                "No, baby, stop! I'm sorry, all right?"

                "I just--I just wish you did tell me! I mean...a model!"

                "Baby, I wanted to tell you! But I lost my phone, and yours was confiscated. Besides...I didn't think this was a conversation to be having over the phone."

                Pulling me into his arms as I have been longing to be in for ages, he my hair as I cried into his chest. I loved being in his arms so much but I hated the stupid jerk I was turning myself into.

                "Really, I am sorry," said Kris.

                "Look," I sniffled, pushing away from his chest. "I just...I just wish you'd let me in. I mean, I know it'll be hard, but like...I don't want to have to find these things out over the internet or because I got in trouble to. I just wish you'd be the one to tell me. I want you to trust me completely."

                "And I do! I do!" exclaimed Kris.

                "Well, then, just tell me! If you don't tell me these things then I can't help but misunderstand. And I hate this situation even more because none of it is actually your fault and I'm just getting pissed off at myself for being pissed off at you and all you're is just standing there looking as hot as on legs and, oh, Jesus motherer--!"

                "Hey, hey, come on! Pipe down swearing," Kris laughed, pulling me back into his arms. "I love you too!"

                "No!" I cried. "You're a rat prick and I hate myself for loving you for it. Oh, my dear! I'm in love with a bastard! How much more does my life have to get?!"

                It felt stupid, but at least it got Kris laughing. My ranting blubber doesn't often come out, and I was a little doubtful of how he'd react to it, but it seemed pretty optimistic.

                "Oh, you are adorable," Kris chuckled.

                "And you're a as much as you as y," I pouted. "I hate you!"

                "That's my girl," Kris snickered. "But hey, there's one more thing."

                The atmosphere got serious again. I quickly wiped my face with my sleeves, completely ignoring the fact that I had make up on my face to hide my pimple spots. I was over it.

                "I know we promised we wouldn't rush anything," said Kris. "But this time...this whole time...I haven't stopped thinking about it. You may disagree with me, but you gotta hear me out, OK?"

                "You're starting to scare me again."

                "OK, OK, I'll just say it. We are getting married."

                I crunched my eyebrows again. "Yes...I know...that's kinda what 'engaged' means."

                "No, no, no. Not next year, or the year after like we were planning," Kris added. "That ring I gave you; it's time to put it on, properly."

                Nothing could come out of my mouth. There was barely anything going on in my head apart from his voice.

                "I love you so much that I don't think I can ever say it enough times in my life. And, if anything, this situation that we've just overcome has made me realise how important you are gonna be in my life. Unfortunately, being an idol has its boundaries, but now is the time to reset those boundaries. Our life together has to be separated from that. It's not gonna be easy, but if we get married now, I know I can protect you better. I know I will be a better man than anyone can claim me to be. I will be your next of kin, and you will be mine. Everything and anything I go through, you will have a proper place in it. My mother is your mother now too, and I am going to make sure she plays as much part in your life as she has in mine. The company can't deny us anything. We will be husband and wife; there's nothing they can do about it."

                Most of what was going through my head at this point was how impossible we were going to make anything happen. We still had schedules until the next year, and our members were going to be jeopardised and would be making sacrifices that they shouldn't have to.

                "I know you're thinking about the members," Kris continued. "I have been too. But there is a way around it. We'll talk to them; all of them, all together. Then we'll talk to some lawyers. Things don't have to get completely out of hand, but we can work something up."

                "W-w-ait, wait," I stumbled. "What exactly are we gonna talk to them about?"

                Kris heaved again. This time, I heaved with him to brace myself.

                "Leaving SM...altogether..."

 

 

 

 

Haha~ Ren's blubbering rant was so fun to write ^^
Sigh...i guess i have to admit

Kris and Luhan's lawsuits had something to do with the ending i have in mind
But i'd rather a bittersweet ending than bitter for this story since its mostly fluff
*cries hysterically* OPPA-DEULS SARANGHAEYO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Dx Dx Dx
I'm sorry, but the 2015 Coming Soon trailer thing broke my heart Dx Dx Dx
OT12 HWAITING~!!!!!!!!!!