TWENTY-THREE

Why Me?

[Ren's POV]

                As if things couldn't have gotten any worse, my worst nightmares were beginning to come true.

               

EXO's Kris and Crescere's Ren Hong Kong transit sparks engagement rumours

 

                I daresay, our fans are amazing. Knowing Kris is from Guangzhou, and that's also being where his mother is, a Hong Kong transit would mean a stopover to get to Guangzhou. And if it's his mother we were meeting, fans figured our relationship has taken the next step to the point we can cross seas together. But then again, I had also signed a virtual contract, authoring about another hundred thousand anti-fans and few extra thousand anti-fan clubs.

                Being in a group that's only two years old, it was hard to straighten things out when things weren't even completely in my control. Despite being the eldest and the leader, I had not garnered enough respect from my seniors or other idols alike to be able to speak enough of my mind to make things matter. I still have to do as I'm told. And besides, with the way things were working out, President Kim wasn't entirely fond of me either.

                "Girls! Can you all come out here please!" Manager Oppa called.

                All six of us came out of our rooms and gathered into the longue. And I slumped down onto the couch, Ruby slumped down next to me and smiled at me.

                "You girls know about the SMTown tour, yeah?" Manager Oppa started.

                "Yeah," the six of us replied.

                "Well, they're doing what they did before. Each group has their own one-day concert, except this time, EXO and Crescere will perform together."

                My stomach flipped a couple times. I didn't know whether to feel excited or not. Last time SMTown did this sort of concert arrangement, it was over the Christmas Week and EXO had a joint concert with f(x). I didn't think it seemed fair, and that they deserved their own concert. But then again, we're the ones that don't have enough songs to make a full concert for ourselves.

                "Now, Ren, before you ask, no one requested this. This was just how it ended up. But don't worry. Every fan will be 'quarantine searched' for weapons of any sort. And eggs and flour."

                He must have noticed my expression of confliction. Naturally, he also anticipated my first couple questions.

                "OK," I said. "So...what do I do about explaining myself when the time comes to it?"

                "President Kim still wants you to keep quiet about it as much as possible," said Manager Oppa.

                "But the rumour's out now," said Kimi. "Won't they make it worse by lying about it?"

                "We're not going to say a thing," said Manager Oppa. "As far as anyone is concerned, Kris and Ren are just dating and still getting to know each other. And besides, technically, you still are. So, no, Miyoung, no one is lying about anything."

                Ruby shuffled in her seat and sat up straight. I assumed she was happy for me. As much as I appreciated it, I knew it was her young age and her naiveness.

                "We have a schedule to make a video message in Korean and English," Manager Oppa continued. "And we have a lot to rehearse, so eat up, get dressed."

                SMTown was a big deal for us, because this was our first collaboration with any of our seniors as a group. Also, this was the one thing I was looking forward to since before I debuted. I was happy to perform with EXO, but I was worried about the response. I had been staying away from the internet to avoid reading lies and rumours about me, but at the same time, I had no idea of the support that I could be getting; if I were getting any at all.

                "This is so awesome!" exclaimed Saerom. "I hope I can do another teaser with Xiumin Sunbae!"

                "Forget teaser!" said Hyoim. "We could do a whole performance!"

                "Unnie," Ruby called to me. "Wouldn't it be nice to do a duet with Kris Oppa?"

                "Oppa's not a lead singer," I chuckled. "I wouldn't know what to do with him on stage."

                "But he can still sing," said Ruby. "Unnie knows how to rap to!"

                "Tell you what," I started. "How 'bout you worry about yourself? You're a dancer; so work on your dancing and maybe have a performance with Kai Sunbae."

                "Unnie, you know that's not gonna happen," said Ruby.

                She means she's too short. But there was no denying; she was a little machine! From behind, she should be mistaken for a mini-Jaekyung. But rather than sticking by Jaekyung, she stuck by me. I never understood why.

                "Never say never," I said. "You're a good dancer! Now come on, go get dressed!"

*

                To our surprise, EXO was in the studios as well. What Manager Oppa didn't tell us was that we were all filming the video messages simultaneously and also, after that, we'd rehearse our teaser performances.

                "OK, rows of six, EXO!" the director called out.

                When the six of us entered the room, EXO was already getting organised. When Kris spotted me walk in, he smiled and waved lightly. I had to smile back.

                "All right! Rolling!" the director called again.

                "1, 2, 3, we are ONE! We are EXO!" all 12 of them chanted.

                "SMTown Christmas Wonderland will be held from December 19 to 26!" Kris exclaimed.

                The forced exclamation from the other members made me shrivel a little on the inside. But its not like no one knew it was scripted.

                "Yes, and all of us here in EXO are working really hard to give you guys a great show!" Kris continued. "So we hope to see you guys at our concerts on December 24 and 25. We will be having our joint concert with our little sisters, Crescere!"

                "Wow!" exclaimed Chanyeol.

                The random 'wow' sparked a few laughs. I'm sure that part was genuine.

                "Yes, so we look forward to seeing all of you and hopefully we can bring warmth to your Christmas Day," said Kris. "1, 2, 3!"

                "We are ONE! Thank you!"

                "Cut!" the director yelled.

                "Wah, so awkward," I muttered.

                "I think we'll be worse," said Jaekyung.

                It was probably true. Ruby and I were the only ones that speak English, but then again, Ruby isn't much of a talker when it comes to being on camera. I envied her.

                When it was our turn, we swapped places with EXO. The director put me in the middle; the position I hated the most. As if it wasn't obvious enough I was the tallest and the oldest.

                "Rolling!" the director exclaimed.

                "1, 2, 3, hello we are Crescere!" all six of us exclaimed.

                "Yes, it's that of year again!" I beamed. "It's cold, it's snowing, but not to worry. SMTown is bringing you the Christmas Wonderland concert for SMTown Week!"

                As the other five members cheered forcefully, I held back my laughter at the awkwardness of the whole concept.

                "Yes, SMTown Week will be held from December 19 to 26," I continued. "Let us help shed some light to warm your cold Christmas Day with our performances that we're working really hard on. Ruby, where exactly is SMTown Week gonna be?"

                "To find us, simply come down to KINTEX on December 24 and 25, and you can see us, Crescere, perform live with our big brothers EXO!" Ruby beamed.

                "That's right, so we look forward to seeing you all! Take care and have a happy holiday!" I beamed. "Thank you!"

                "Thank you!" the others beamed, happily.

                "And cut!"

                I flopped down on my knees and laughed on the ground for a good minute. I was happy that the awkwardness was finally over with. Even the EXO members were giggling at me.

                "Well, I'm glad that's over," said Ruby.

                "Yeah, me too," giggled Hyoim.

                "Unnie, stop laughing, it's embarrassing," Kimi said to me.

                "Hey, come on, you did good," Kris' voice beamed above me. "Kimi-ah, you used to take English lessons. Why didn't you get anything to say?"

                "I quit my lessons, Sunbaenim," Kimi said, attempting to sound polite. "I didn't have much use for it. Ren Unnie usually takes care of the English lines."

                "You don't think it's stressful?" asked Kris, also trying to sound polite.

                "Of course, it's stressful," I said, standing up and pulling my face straight. "But it's OK. I know how to reward myself at the end of each day of hard work."

                I eyed Kimi, deliberately to grind her teeth. I needed a good laugh from time to time. The other girls did too. Kimi had been doing nothing but laughing sincewe debuted. Now, she was starting to notice it. That's why she couldn't get along with EXO as well as the other girls.

                "Hey, Ren!" Chen called from a short distance. "I need a favour."

                "What?" I asked, with Kris holding onto me around my waist.

                "I wanna sing a ballad for SMTown," said Chen. "But my manager wants me to do it with one of you guys."

                "Oh," I piped. "That sounds cool. Doesn't it, Oppa?"

                "Only if you keep your hands to yourself," said Kris, jokingly.

                "I wanna sing 'Breath'," Chen suddenly said.

                'Breath' was the lead single of the latest SM the Ballad album that Chen sung in Chinese with Zhang Liyin Sunbaenim. What made him choose to sing that?

                "Why?" I asked.

                "Fans are requesting it a lot," said Chen. "And I wanted to sing with Liyin Noona at the Golden Disk awards, but she was sick and she's still recovering. I know she won't mind. I actually want her to hear this so she'll get better faster. SM the Ballad is having another comeback soon too."

                "But I've never sung in Chinese!" I said. "I barely speak it!"

                "I can help," said Kris. "You'll be fine! I've heard you sing it before too."

                "When?!" I asked, in a panic.

                "The end singing studio isn't as soundproof as you may think."

                I dropped my head into my hands. Suddenly the memories of my mispronunciations, voice breaks and voice strains came flying back. He must have heard them all!

                "Oh, I'm a goner," I groaned.

                "It wasn't that bad!" said Kris. "It was good! And besides, you gotta make a lotta mistakes to get as good as you!"

                "So, will you do it?" asked Chen. "You'll be good! And besides, you're the only one with the voice that matches mine."

                I knew Kimi was still standing closeby, listening to Chen's request. I could feel her burning with jealousy.

                Before Crescere became official, the group disbanded a few times. Throughout most of it, Kimi was the main vocalist. She was often praised by the EXO vocalists out of politeness. Not that she was bad, but let's face it; she's in high school, and she's not mature. She had a little way to go.

                Suddenly, I was beginning to think Chen had requested me on purpose; he was helping me set Kimi's teeth on edge so that she could come to her senses. I didn't know if it was the case, but I decided to go with the flow.

                "OK," I sighed. "But don't laugh at me when I sing something wrong."

                "He doesn't even sing it right sometimes," Kris laughed.

                "Hyung!" exclaimed Chen, slapping him playfully.

 

 

 

 

I think i know how to end this fic ^^
Problem is working up at least one more before i get there...
man ><"