SIXTEEN

Why Me?

[Sehun's POV]

                "Oh, Kimi-yang!" I greeted. "Hey, if you were looking for Ren Noona, she left a little while ago."

                "No, I actually came to see Tao Oppa," said Kimi, with a dull expression. "Is your manager here?"

                I was a little taken back. Of all the people she came to see, she came to see Tao? In the state he's in?

                "Uh...no, he's not, he just left, but uh..." I mumbled. Kimi looked to adorable to say 'no' to but because she's underage, I didn't what to say that wouldn't hurt her.

                "I won't stay long," said Kimi. "Another Oppa can eavesdrop if he has to."

                "Sehun-ah! Who is it?" called Suho. Walking up to the door, he spotted Kimi standing causally. "Oh, Kimi-yang. What brings you here?"

                "I wanted to speak to Tao Oppa about something. I promise it's nothing bad."

                Suho sighed. Technically the only women we've allowed in are our staff members, our mothers, our sisters or Ren. But Kimi was our dongsaeng. Even though most of us know of the awkwardness between her and Ren, I cared for her.

                "Half an hour?" Suho suggested.

                "That'll work," said Kimi.

                Finally letting the small figure walk in, I watched Kimi as she slipped her shoes off. I remembered the day she first joined SM; just before we debuted. She was tiny. She was now taller but I guess her luck wasn't with her. She was no bigger than maybe 155cm. But she had time to catch up.

                "Tao's in his room," said Suho. "Just don't close the door completely."

                Kimi nodded obediently and followed us in. Some of the members were scattered around the lounge room and the kitchen. They all stopped what they were doing when they saw Kimi.

                "Oh..." Chanyeol gasped, swallowing his words.

                "Annyeonghaseyo, Oppa," Kimi greeted with a 90 degree bow. She turned to the other side and bowed to the other members.

                "Annyeong," they replied with confused expressions.

                "Tao-ah!" called Suho, pushing his door open. "You have a visitor."

                Suho moved aside and allowed Kimi to walk in. Suho then pulled the door close, but not completely.

                "Hyung," I said. "Is this right? I mean, she's cool but..."

                "I am hoping a female's touch will get him to open his mouth," Suho said firmly.

                "And Kimi's the girl for that?" asked Chen, lounging lazily on the couch next to Kris.

                "She came by herself," said Suho.

                I looked over at Kris. He raised an eyebrow. He was just as confused as the rest of us. What did Kimi and Tao have anything to do with each other?

                "Did Ren Noona say something?" I asked.

                "No," Kris said, shaking his head. "I mean...I've told her about Tao but...we can't pretend we didn't know about her and Ren."

                "Is it really anything more than jealousy between them?" asked Chen.

                "No," sighed Kris. "I mean...I'm curious to hear Kimi's story but, I highly doubt it. I mean, they're young. There's already a six year difference between Ren and Jaekyung then you got Ruby who's still in middle school. Dang, it's no wonder she's got that 'strict mother' image goin' on."

                I turned my head and looked back at Tao's door. It hadn't moved. I didn't want to get closer in case I got scolded by the hyungs but the suspense was killing me.

                "What's wrong, Sehun-ah?" asked Chanyeol. "Jealous your girlfriend's not talking to ya?"

                The members snorted, while Chanyeol and Chen laughed.

                "Hyung, that's not cool!" I said. "You know that article was fake."

                "Yeah, but don't pretend you weren't happy," said Suho.

                I rolled my eyes.

                "Hey, who's here?" Baekhyun asked. He had just come back from the convenience store down the road with a few plastic bags in his hand. "I saw girl shoes at the front. I was gonna ask if it was Ren but I doubt her feet are that small."

*

[Tao's POV]

                "I'm not denying I'm jealous," I spoke huskily. "But I'm also scared."

                "Of EXO disbanding?" asked Kimi.

                "No, that's what you're scared of," I shot back. "And Crescere. But you know what? I don't even think that's true. You're just jealous that you're not the reason Crescere's making headlines."

                Kimi opened in shock. "That is not true!"

                "Oh, please," I scoffed. "We all know it. Not just us, but the whole company. The trainees talk. But you never knew the real reason they put you in the same group?"

                "There's a real reason?" asked Kimi.

                "They didn't know if you'd really grow up," I said. Kimi's face remained shocked but closed. "You bragged and bragged about being in a private school and took private lessons and multitasked training and school. Yeah, you're a good singer, but that's not what you thought got you in, is it?"

                Kimi couldn't say anything because I knew better. I had watched this girl train for four years and her attitude was almost exactly the same as when I first met her.

                It is true, companies will look at appearance, but they wouldn't cast you if you didn't have anything that they could work with. Kimi wanted everyone to believe that she got in for her singing; but she knows she got in for her looks. She's an ulzzang, for crying out loud! The reason why everyone liked Ren better was because she actually understood the art of modesty. Being older may have had something to do with it, but she always knew what she was talking about.

                Which brought me back to thinking about myself.

                "Look, Ren Noona's great," I said. "She's good to Kris Hyung. And she's good to all of us too. You're the only one who doesn't like her."

                "I didn't say I didn't like her," said Kimi, her face full of guilt.

                "But you don't completely like her either. Look, even if Ren Noona wasn't here, your position wouldn't change; because you've already sealed your fate. She'll just get replaced with another singer. You might get promoted to main vocals but you will still be a little brat! And I know Jaekyung's not gonna let you live it down either. So maybe, for once, you should stop being so selfish!"

                Kimi looked like she was about to cry. But in the presence of a Sunbae, she held it in. I wasn't sorry. I was sure the Crescere members have had this talk with her before; but they can just consider this a favour of finally getting her to crack.

                "And why are you even here?" I asked. "What did you expect coming in to talk to me?"

                "I knew you were upset too," Kimi said in a quiet voice, not looking at me. "But I guess not for the same reason as me. Whatever your reason is, I hope you find the right person to open up to; because I know you have problems as well."

                Kimi turned around to make for the door, but she didn't open it just yet. Instead she turned around and actually looked me in the eyes.

                "I guess you're right," she said. "But if you won't open up to your own members, who will you open up to?"

                "Funny that you're asking that," I said. "You were the last person I expected to hear from."

                "Well then I'm sorry to bother you," she snapped and walked out.

                I walked over to the door and leaned against the door frame as I watched her storm out without even saying 'goodbye' to the members that were around the dorm.

                "What did you say to her?" asked Sehun.

                "Everything that she needed to hear," I said. "She'll get over it."

                "What did she want exactly?" asked Baekhyun.

                "A shoulder to cry on, someone to pity her, someone to back her up, I actually really don't know!" I exclaimed, annoyed. "Point is, she doesn't deserve any of it and I didn't give her any."

                I turned back around and closed my door.

*

[Sehun's POV]

                Suho groaned in frustration.

                "He's my dongsaeng," said Kris. "I'll deal with him later."

                "No, it's OK," said Suho. "I just a little frustrated that even Kimi couldn't get through to him."

                "She's a little brat," said Chen. "Whaddya expect?"

                "Don't say that," I said. "She's still in high school; she doesn't know any better."

                "Ooooh, look who's getting protective," Baekhyun teased. Chanyeol giggled with him.

                "It's not like that!" I exclaimed.

                "Sure, sure," said Baekhyun.

                "No, I'm serious!" I exclaimed, trying to keep a straight face. "Come on! We were all young once!"

                "Says the maknae," said Chen, with a grin. "Look, Sehun-ah, it's fine to like her! But she's not ready for a relationship. She can barely handle Ren's relationship! And besides, are you prepared to put up with that?"

                "Can we just move past that?" I asked. "Look all I'm saying is, maybe she has the right to be upset. I mean, since Kris Hyung announced he was dating Ren Noona, it's always been about them! She keeps it cool on screen but she's screaming inside. Hardly anyone takes an interest in her anymore. What kind of an idol would that make her in the future?"

                Looking at it in that context, the members began scratching their heads.

                "It still doesn't change the fact that she's a little brat," said Kris, finally. "She's cute and all but, she's got a lot of growing up to do. But she's bound to shine soon. Ren knows what she's doing."

                "Does she really?" I asked.

                "Look," said Kris, standing up. He walked up to me and patted my shoulder. "I know you support Ren and I know you like Kimi. That's cool. And if you want to be with her that's fine too. I'm just saying, not everyone's gonna like it. Clearly not everyone likes me and Ren being together. And maybe it's good that she's not too popular just yet. Look how much is already in her head. Stuff anything more into it, and she might explode with ego and depression."

                There seemed to be no double-edged sword answer to this. I felt bad for Ren but I also felt bad for Kimi. I was feeling bad for Tao too but he wouldn't talk to anyone about it, so I gave up caring. Being maknae is hard. But beyond that, I was getting frustrated myself.

                "I never said I wanted to be with her!" I exclaimed. "We're not even supposed to be talking about me!"

                "Yeah, but it's just fun," said Baekhyun. "Besides, it's been too tensed lately. Let it go, Sehun-ah. Kimi'll come around. And then you can work your magic."

                I bobbed my head down. "Gee, thanks."

                

 

 

It's been a while, i know >< but I started another story for a competition - check it out too ^^
yeah this is a shorter update, but I needed to sort Kimi out, so yeah ^^