NINETEEN - two weeks later

Why Me?

[Kris' POV]

[TWO WEEKS LATER]

                "Don't worry, she'll love you," I said.

                "How much have you actually told her about me?" asked Ren.

                "Not much," I said, honestly. "I wanted her to hear it from you. It didn't feel right that I told her."

                Ren was sitting nervously and shifting uncomfortably on her sit with her passport and boarding pass almost crumpling in her hands.

                "Will you calm down? We've got hours to get organised!" I said, half-laughing at her nervousness.

                "How can I not be nervous?" asked Ren. "We're meeting with your mother; the only parent for the both of us. If she disapproves in the slightest, I'm screwed."

                "She won't!" I exclaimed. "Man, babe, we haven't even hit Guangzhou yet and you're sweating buckets! Just relax! Besides, one-child-per-family is a hefty burden for some parents."

                "Including yours?" asked Ren.

                "Yeah," I sighed. "She always wanted a daughter. Actually...after we migrated to Canada, she tried meeting another man. It almost worked out until she found out she could have anymore children."

                Ren's face dropped dramatically. She was almost hyperventilating before, but now it was as though she couldn't breathe at all.

                "She's just happy you haven't killed me yet," I said, to lighten the mood. "So there's no need to worry."

                "Just remind me again though," Ren started. "Why are we meeting her in Guangzhou when you both carry Canadian passports?"

                "She travels back and forth a lot; work imports and what not. She left us the apartment in Vancouver to go to."

                With another hour to go until the train to Guangzhou, I took Ren's hand and walked her to a juice bar. I then realised what else might have been making her so anxious.

                Fans girls had recognised us and were crowding around. At first, they were scattered around the airport, but closer to the time of departure, they started to huddle closer with flashing cameras and phones. I felt bad for the security guys.

                "You gotta teach me Cantonese," said Ren. "But in the meantime, do you hear anything along the lines of '', '' or 'husband-stealer'?"

                I just laughed. "You've been a fangirl for too long."

                "No, I've been a fangirl for long enough to know the damage that can be done and the time it takes to mourn your suffering," said Ren. "Only now, I have to work that in my own favour..."

                "They're not saying anything," I said. "They're just getting shots of us and running away. But a lot of them are saying that you're a lot taller in real life."

                Even next to me, Ren was distinguishably tall for an Asian woman. But for me, it felt good, because I could still hold her and she still fits into my arms.

                "Goddamn..." hissed Ren. "All this nervousness keeps making me wanna go to the bathroom."

                "Well, then stop being so nervous," I said. "Here, I'll get us a table and you go do your business. I'll get your juice."

*

                Ren actually managed to remain calm throughout the whole train ride. Out of all the times I've gone home, I don't think I've ever been as excited as this time.

                The house was a short taxi ride from the station. Ren just looked at it appreciatively.

                "It's cute," she said. "Looks cosy."

                "Yifan!" exclaimed a woman's voice. "Yifan!"

                From the front door to the front of the road, a figure ran toward me in full speed.

                "Ma!" I exclaimed happily.

                "Oh! My boy!" she cried. "Yifan!"

                It had been almost a year since I was last able to embrace the feeling of being home, let alone see my mother. She wouldn't let me go for a good minute.

                "Ma," I said. "Ma, this is Ren."

                Ren had been standing behind the taxi while my mother was hugging me. Once they made eye contact, Ma's eyes were still as bright as ever.

                "Ni hao," Ren greeted, with a light bow.

                "Hello!" Ma greeted. "Oh, my darling! You're so much more beautiful than the pictures Yifan sent me! You should take better pictures, Yifan! She's so beautiful!"

                Ren's smile was rather awkward, but Ma was too excited to contain her joy.

                "Ma, you're scaring her, let's get her inside," I said.

                "Oh, yes, yes, please welcome! I've made some tea," said Ma. "My goodness! You're too skinny, both of you! I thought you said Korean beef was the best!"