FIFTEEN

Why Me?

[Ren's POV]

                Settling the score on how to move on with our relationship was the easy part. Luckily, we got that down within the first half an hour. But then the rest of it was full of everything that had skipped; learning about our pre-idol lives. I always thought that my life back home in Australia could just stay there and not follow me to Korea; at least until a few more years to come. I suppose Kris felt the same about China and Canada.

                "You're lucky you met me when you did," he said. "You wouldn't have like me back in the day."

                "Wanna bet?" I asked, with a small smirk. "You know your parents, at least."

                "Well...I knew my mom," said Kris. "Honestly, I don't remember about my dad. He was...he was just never there. I don't think I even remember what he looked like. Sometimes...I worry about my mum. Like...how much I take after him and how much it scares her. But she doesn't talk about it much. You don't remember your parents at all?"

                I shook my head blankly.

                "And it doesn't bother you?" asked Kris.

                "Not anymore," I said. "I've been on my own since I finished school."

                "But how did you support yourself?" asked Kris. "I mean...people talked. And they probably still do."

                "About what?"

                "About how you used to be a part-timer at that car wash over in Mapo, and a waitress in that bar across the road from it. I also know that there is no way in Hell that you could have survived on that wage for two years and train at the same time. How did you cover yourself?"

                I lowered my head and leaned back until I hit the end of the couch. My legs were stretched out across and over his lap; I also felt myself sinking into his lap that little bit more.

                "Insurance money," I said, softly.

                Kris looked confused. "As in...? Your parents..."

                "Yeah," I said, nodding my head. "In 18 years, I went to five different schools and lived with three different families. My latest family, God forbid I can even call them family, were drug dealers. And moochers."

                Kris widened his eyes.

                "I never did any, if that's what you're wondering," I said quickly. His face softened. "But yeah...before I moved into their place, I went looking for my birth parents to see if they were really dead. And they were. I got sent their death certificates, and found that 'Sao' really was my last name. The money from their deaths was put into a trust fund that would've been activated once I turned 18. My foster parents knew about it somehow when they took me in. So let's just say weren't too happy when I denied them any of it when I got a hold of it."

                "You're kidding," said Kris, exhaling in awe. "Do you reckon that was the reason they took you in to begin with?"

                "I never found out for sure, but either way..."

                "Well...now I know why you left. But where'd you end up after that?"

                "I used some of that insurance money to pay my uni fees and campus rent. I auditioned for SM not too long after that. When I got the call back saying to come to Korea, all I knew was I never wanted to go back. That's why I signed the 13 year contract with no questions asked."

                Kris could only exhale deeply. I knew that most people would opt for a shorter contract, if they could help it. But even though Australia was my first home, there was nothing left for me except struggling on my own.

                "But what about...Visa issues and stuff?" asked Kris. "Surely, you had problems with that as well."

                "Sure I did," I said. "I made a few friends before I left Sydney. So I crashed with them every time I had to go back."

                "Do they know you're even here?"

                "My friends or my foster parents?"

                "Well...anyone?"

                "Well...my friends are cool with it; they're not major fans but. My foster parents...well...that's a barrel of laughs."

                Kris lifted his head and stared at me. "They seriously don't know that you're here?"

                "But so what if they knew?" I almost snapped. "I'm not thankful to any of them! I'm a kid who raised herself around North and Western Sydney! They can't force me back. And besides, my life is with you now; you and Crescere. And EXO.  honestly, I don't think it's even a good idea we go to Sydney. I think Guangzhou and Vancouver are enough. I've nothing to show."

                "But I want to!" Kris urged. "I've always wanted to see Australia. We don't have to go to the towns you grew up in. How about just the city? Maybe...take me to see where kangaroos and koalas really live?"

                "I promise you, they don't breed on the corner of every street you turn," I said, bluntly. "I get it...it's a red desert country, but seriously...would I be this pale if that were the case?"

                "Hey, I don't know these things!" said Kris, cracking a smile. "I just wanna see Australia. And meeting 'your parents' is the excuse I was planning to use on my manager."

                I guess I understood why Kris was so adamant about adding Sydney to the list for travel. I did miss Sydney, but I didn't want to hang around there for long enough for anyone to find me.

                "Look...I'm happy to show you around," I said. "But there are parts of my life that I'm not proud of."

                "You think I'm proud of my past?" asked Kris. "Babe...the only reason I wouldn't change it is because I met you! No matter how my past was, it made me who I am today. And I met you; you're beautiful and you know how to defend your own and multi-task! If you knew me back when I was at my low, even you could say you would be too good for me."

                I cringed slightly, and narrowed my eyes. "Dare I ask?"

                Kris sighed. "My mom never explained the details to me, I don't think. But...I think my paternal grandparents were hunting her down back in China. That's why we moved to Canada."

                I sat up and re-shifted my decreasing concentration.

                "I don't remember it much," said Kris. "But I know now that all she wanted was the best chance for me. I don't think coming to Korea was what either of us had in mind but...I'm just happy it's working out."

                "Are you involved in something illegal with your grandparents?" I asked.

                "No!" exclaimed Kris. But he didn't get angry. My assumption was that he had been asked that a lot. "I seriously don't know. Actually...I was hoping I'd find out for sure once I took you to go meet her."

                Suddenly, I was flustered. "Why would you need me with you?"

                "Something just tells me she wanted to wait until I was safe," said Kris. "I mean, I have pulled overnighters in the past, tryna figure out what she could be hiding from me. But I could never find anything. But I'm sure there's something. I hope that once I show her that I'm getting closer to settling down, she'll have some answers for me."

                I nodded softly. I figured there wasn't much more about my life I was going to find out about anytime soon. But it was no reason for me to not help Kris in finding out about his.

                "Unnie, we're home!" young voices called out from the door.

                "Aigoo," I exhaled. "Yeah, we're in here!"

                "Nice of them to spare the dorm," said Kris, with a father-like smile.

                "Sorry they couldn't be the tamed type," I replied with a quick kiss before the members walked in.

                "You think mine are tamed?" asked Kris. As I stood up, his eyes remained fixed on me until I followed my members to the kitchen bench.

                "Annyeonghaseyo, Kris Oppa!" the girls greeted.

                "Oh, annyeong. What did you guys bring?"

                "Not much," said Ruby. "The Unnies ate most of it. But there's enough ddeokbokki for both of you."

                "Oh, it's OK," said Kris. "I promised my manager I'd be back for dinner. I'll call you about the itinerary."

                "Yeah, OK," I sighed, as he left a soft kiss on my head.

                "I'll see myself out. Bye, girls," said Kris, patting Ruby's head on the way out.

                "Bye Oppa!" the girls exclaimed on top of each other.

                As soon as the door closed, the girls giggled at each other.

                "What are you guys up to?" I asked, curiously.

                "What itinerary?" asked Jaekyung, in the middle of a laugh. "Are you going on a honeymoon already?"

                "No, he's taking me to meet his mother after promotions," I said. "We have some time off before our next comeback."

                "But we still have other shows to go on," said Kimi. "And you have a contract with Arirang."

                "That doesn't start until the summer," I said. "Relax, I got this."

                "And what about SMTown photo shoot?" asked Kimi.

                "I said I got this," I repeated. "I wouldn't have agreed if I didn't know how much it involved." I could tell she wasn't going to let this go. Turns out the longer you train, the more you know. My patience began wearing thin very rapidly.

                "And the Lotte CF, our campaign for Nature Republic, your new contract with Victoria's Secret..." Kimi went on and on.

                "Will you just shut up?!" I hissed, irritably.

                The girls looked up at me, gobsmacked. Kimi just closed and pursed her lips.

                 "Stop setting everyone's teeth on edge, PLEASE!" I yelled out. I picked up the container of ddeokbokki and the plastic fork that came with it and marched into my room.

                After slamming the door, the girls turned and looked at Kimi. All of them were frowning, or staring with annoyed eyes.

                "You guys aren't seriously siding with her!" said Kimi.

                "There wasn't supposed to be a side to begin with!" said Jaekyung. "But then, as always, your head got in the way!"

                "Whoa, where did that come from?" asked Kimi.

                "Not from any of us! That's for sure," said Jaekyung.

                "All right, seriously? You're just gonna pretend this isn't dangerous for all of us?" asked Kimi.

                "What's dangerous?" asked Jaekyung. "The media will write anything they want to make business! So what?! Don't pretend you weren't happy about that scandal between you and Sehun Oppa!"

                "Hey, I didn't lie about that!" Kimi shot.

                "And Unnie lied about dating Kris Oppa?" Jaekyung shot back. "What is wrong with you?! We're only human! Why is it so wrong for her to be in love? Are you that jealous that you weren't the one making the headlines?"

                "Are you seriously accusing me of being jealous?"

                "Well, aren't you?"

                Kimi opened to speak, but no sound was omitted. She quickly closed again.

                "Unnie, it's OK to be jealous," said Hyoim. "But it's not OK to make Ren Unnie feel bad about it."

                "I can't believe you guys are actually blaming this on me," said Kimi. "She got herself in this situation herself!"

                "Yeah, but you're the one digging the hole even deeper!" exclaimed Jaekyung. "And seriously, Unnie's right! Just shut up! It'll do everyone a lot more good than if you keep talking!"

                "Hey, that's just...!" Kimi started.

                "No, really!" shouted Jaekyung. "Just SHUT UP! This! THIS is what's making things worse! The more you keep talking like this, the more people are gonna find out! We're supposed to support each other! Not rat each other out! Or do you really want to see Crescere in the headlines? Because we broke up over your big mouth?"

                Kimi shot her a glare. "When did I ever say that?!"

                "Unnie, please!" cried Saerom. "We never meant to accuse you of anything. But in case you haven't realised, our names haven't been mentioned in the articles with Unnie and Oppa. That's because she and manager Oppa fought for us! EXO and Crescere were never meant to cross each other's work!"

                "And we still haven't!" Jaekyung added. "So quite frankly, the only thing that's putting us at risk is your big mouth! Learn to trust Unnie! She may be a foreigner, but she's no stranger to bull from dumb es."

                Kimi widened her eyes and scoffed in horror. Hyoim, Saerom and Ruby widened their eyes too but remained quiet.

                "You don't need to be a genius to work that out; you just need a bigger heart than a bigger ego," Jaekyung added on. "Sometimes I wonder if you even have one, Miyoung-ah."

                Leaving that in her wake, Jaekyung also marched to her room and slammed the door close.

                One thing that Kimi never explained properly was the origin of her name. She always stated that President Lee gave it to her, but it was actually me. Everyone kept saying 'Miyoung' was too common of a name, and it was the same name as SNSD's Tiffany. So I made a simple derivation from her whole name 'Kim Mi-young" and turned it into 'Kimmy'; which she then turned into 'Kimi'. However, her jealousy for my ability to distinguish good people from bad people and overlooking bull got the better of her. Not once since we debuted, or even since we met, did she ever compliment me or given me strength to do better.

                "Where are you going?" Hyoim asked, as Kimi made way for the door.

                "Out," she said bluntly. "I'll be back before late."

                "Define 'late'," said Saerom.

                Kimi didn't asnwer. She just left. I was overhearing their whole argument from inside my room. It was hard not to listen but it felt good that the members were favouring me against Kimi. But I'd be lying to myself if I didn't feel a little bit nervous about where Kimi planned on going.