THIRTEEN - three days later

Why Me?

[Ren's POV - three days later]

                "Oppa?" I spoke into the phone.

                "Hey, baby girl! What's happening? I just saw all the missed calls from you," said Kris.

                "Oppa, we really, really, REALLY need to talk!" I exclaimed in a stressed tone. "This week's been killing me. Are you going home or to headquarters?"

                "We're going home first," said Kris.

                "OK, I can come there," I said.

                "Or I can meet you..."

                "No, no, I'll come to your dorm. Honestly...K knows, so M should know as well."

                "Are you sure? How come K knows?"

                "It's a long story...I'll meet you at your dorm."

                I thought I was done with balling my eyes out after the doctor at the hospital told me the outcome. But now, I felt like I could go through it all again now that I was about to break the news to the man I love.

                "If you want us to come with you, we can," said Jaekyung.

                "No," I sighed. "But thank you. I'll be OK. As long as the news doesn't go beyond the lot of us, everything will be all right."

                The sasaengs have actually, surprisingly, reduced substantially over the weeks. Rather than chasing after me with flour and eggs, they just glared at me from a distance. I didn't notice many of them, but even the ones I did notice, I didn't care. As far as any of them knew, Kris and I were still getting to know each other. And we were; only we have been jumping multiple steps along the way.

                Since EXO's dorm was near the Han River, I got to walk along there. It was relaxing, now that the word was out and I could enjoy the clean air. However, the news I was about to break to Kris kept burning the back of my mind.

                I continued walking with my earphones plugged into my ears and my iPod turned up louder than usual to block out all the outside noise.

                "Unnie!" I only scarcely heard. I stopped walking and looked around to find if I was imagining the unfamiliar voice. "Unnie!"

                I turned my music down and heard it again. From behind, I spotted one small figure emerging herself through the crowd. Everyone was walking calmly but she was the only one running. Once she found her way to me, she stood and stared at me with wide eyes. She was cute; she looked no older than about six-years-old. Her hair was in plaited pig tails and she was wearing pink overalls on top of a white top. She was also wearing a white cap with black stripes that looked like it was about to cover her face. I could only smile at how cute she was, because she was also wearing her cap backwards; like the way I did in during our debut.

                "Omo! Ren Unnie!" she exclaimed. "It's really you!"

                "Oh, ne," I sighed, with a smile. I kneeled down to her height. "Aigoo, where are your parents?"

                "They're across the road," she said. "My family owns that cafe there!"

                I looked across the road and saw the cafe that she pointed out.

                "Unnie is so much prettier in person!" she piped up, happily. "Is Unnie allowed to sign my cap?"

                I kept smiling at her as she pulled her cap off. As soon as I had it in my hand, I knew it was an adult's hat. I laughed inside at how cute it was that she was wearing a big cap. "Sure, I can. What's your name?"

                "Ah! Minjoo! Han Minjoo-imnida!"

                "Oh, Minjoo-yang."

                Quickly signing the inside flap of her cap, I gently placed the cap back on her head the same way she had it before she took it off.

                "Unnie! My mummy says you and Kris Oppa will have really beautiful children!" Minjoo exclaimed.

                My smile dropped, but Minjoo didn't seem to notice. She just continued to be overly happy and excited.

                "My favourite EXO member is Kai Oppa, but Kris Oppa is really handsome too. Does he take care of Unnie very well?"

                "Oh...yeah, he does; very well," I could only say.

                "That's good. Unnie needs to be with a good man. And one day, I'll be as pretty as Unnie so I can find a good man too!"

                I regained my smile, but only slightly.

                "Well, Minjoo-yang, it was nice to meet you. Unnie, needs to go now. But you take care; eat well and be good to your parents, ne?"

                "Ne, Unnie!"

                "And Minjoo-yang; Unnie will tell you something," I said, calmly.

                "Oh?"

                "You don't need have a beautiful face to have a good man; you need a beautiful heart. Treat everyone with respect and honesty, especially yourself and your parents. You will grow up to be a strong woman, and that is the most important thing to finding a good man. Can you promise Unnie that you'll do that? And grow up to be a strong woman?"

                "Ne, Unnie!"

                "Very good," I said, finding my whole smile again. I held my arms out for a hug. She ran into me so fast I almost lost balance.

                "Unnie, sarangheyo," Minjoo said into my ear. She reluctantly let go of my neck and walked slowly toward the pedestrian crossing. "Hwaiting!"

                I waved goodbye to her and watched her safely cross the road and disappear into the cafe. I sighed heavily. As much of a relief as it was to find that I still had a fan, it was also a pleasant distraction.

                However, there seemed to be such a confliction going through my mind once I brought myself back to reality. I realised that I needed to talk to Kris more than ever. Breathing heavily, I jogged all the remaining way to EXO's dorm. Once I hit their elevator, I was panting.

                I pulled out my phone and speed-dialled Kris' number.

                "Jagiya?" Kris' voice spoke.

                "Hey, I'm in the lobby, I'm on my way up."

                "OK, I'll open the door for you."

                The elevator ride up took longer than I had expected. But once I hit the seventh floor and strode around to EXO's front door, I found it already open and Kris standing there waiting for me.

                "Hey," he sighed, pulling me into his arms.

                I swung my arms around his waist and started crying into his shoulder.

                "Hey, hey, what happened?" he asked, hearing my sobs. "What's going on? Come inside."

                Leading me in, I yanked my boots off and quickly wiped my tears as Kris closed the door.

                "Yeah, come in, the guys are just cleaning themselves up," said Kris.

                "I'm sorry," I said, still sniffling. "I don't mean to bother you guys as soon as you came back but..."

                "No, it's OK. I know you wouldn't ask to meet me so quickly if it wasn't important."

                "Hey, Hyung, I need to move your--" the voice called out. We both turned our heads and saw Baekhyun. He saw the two of us and he saw me with red eyes. "Sorry..."

                "It's OK, just move whatever you need, I'll clean up after," said Kris.

                "Yeah, OK," said Baekhyun, with a sad expression. "I'll leave you guys alone."

                He walked back into his room and closed his door.

                "We should probably talk outside," said Kris, turning to me.

                "No, we can talk here," I said.

                "Are you sure it's OK the guys hear us?"

                "I'm pregnant," I said, almost cutting him off.

                You could hear a pin drop in the silence that followed Kris' frozen expression. He continued staring at me.

                "Well...technically..." I choked against the tears that were falling out of my eyes. "I miscarried."

                Kris closed his eyes. I gave him time to process enough before he had the courage to speak. The first news it often shocking enough, but I was lucky he didn't fall off his feet at the second news.

                "Wh-when was this?" he finally asked.

                "Three days ago," I said. "The K members were passing by our rehearsals. I fainted and they took me to the doctor. He admitted me to hospital and they only confirmed what he told me was happening. I was having a miscarriage."

                Kris walked slowly over to the couch and fell on his heavily. He didn't look at me; he just sighed into his hands.

                "Kris, I swear to you, I didn't mean for any of this to happen," I whimpered.

                "No, it's-it's not your fault. I mean...I thought we were being careful when we did it," said Kris, finally meeting my eyes as he spoke.

                "I thought so too but...I found out after I fainted altogether. If I had known before, I would've slowed down training and slept more."

                "Whoa, whoa, wait," said Kris. "You're saying you would've kept the baby?"

                I paused. "Are you mad?"

                "No, I'm not mad, I'm...I'm just tryna process all this in my head."

                "Sorry..."

                "I mean...I mean, we're still tryna know each other. It's just seemed too soon to talk about that stuff but...everything's just been happening all at once!"

                I decided to stay quiet for a couple minutes to allow Kris to unscramble his thoughts. For the entire time, the dorm was silent. I didn't even hear the other members shuffling through their things in their rooms. I figured they were listening in; but I knew they had the right to know too. However, I knew they would still have questions because our entire conversation was in English. I was already prepared to explain.

                "Are you OK though? I can't believe I haven't asked that yet," said Kris.

                "I'm all right now," I said. "They did the procedure for me at the hospital before I was discharged."

                "I'm just...I'm just so sorry I wasn't here with you. You should not have gone through all that by yourself."

                "Well...things are sent to try us."

                "But...were you serious about keeping the baby if it had survived?"

                I gazed at him, trying to study his expression.

                "Don't get me wrong," Kris said quickly. "I love kids too, but...you don't think it's too soon?"

                "I know it's too soon," I said, simply. "But we're both at understandable ages and I wasn't going to go against the nature of my body."

                I took a seat right next to Kris on the couch. He stared at me with a gentle face.

                "Or it could have something to do with the fact that my biological parents are dead and my foster parents kicked me out," I added.

                Kris widened his eyes. "Did they really?"

                "Well, technically I left, but they were the ones that opened the door," I said. "But...all I knew was that...no matter what...no matter where I am, what I was doing or how the hell it all happened in the first place...I would take care of my child. Even if it meant doing it on my own...I was going to protect my child."

                Kris froze again when I said 'on my own'.

                "But now...I'm just sorry that I couldn't do the one thing I promised myself," I said, with tears flowing out of my eyes again. "And I feel like I've let you down too."

                "No!" exclaimed Kris, putting his arms around me. "Come here."

                He placed his left hand under my knees and lifted my legs up across his lap and turned me toward him with his right hand. I continued crying as he caressed my face.

                "Hey," he whispered. "You could never let me down even if you tried."

                My tears refused to stop, but Kris ignored them and placed a soft kiss on my lips.

                "Look...I love you. And honestly...I do want a family with you; I really do. But I guess, this just wasn't meant to be. But, one day...our baby will come to us. And you are gonna be an amazing mother. Hell, we're leaders; we're already in training!"

                I managed to laugh a little bit at that remark.

                "I'm the one that should be sorry," Kris continued. "It takes two, yeah? I'm the one that put you in this situation. And I'm the one that left you alone to face it. But from now on, tell me everything, no matter where I am. China, Japan, America, Canada, anywhere! Call me and I'll fly to wherever you are. You will never be alone again."

                My crying softened a lot; and I managed to smile.

                "What's happened already is out of our hands," said Kris. "You just need to take care of yourself and your members."

                I nodded.

                "I'll help you explain to the members," I said.

                "No, no, I can do that," said Kris. "You just go home and get some rest. I have tomorrow off, so we can talk properly."

                "You sure?"

                "I'm sure! I'll be OK. Just go."

                He led me to the door and stood as my balance as I pulled my boots back on.

                "I love you so much," I whispered.

                "Me too, baby girl. Me too."

 

 

 

Gah~ I'm mentally working up the rest of the story and i think i know how its gonna go ^^
I'm sure this story is pretty boring compared to a lot of the ones that I have been reading but I am so greatful to my subscribers and to all those who have gutted through reading even the first few chapters, even without subscribing.
I'm actually working up another plot with more material, so I am working on it =)
Anyway, Ren's backstory will be revealed in the next one or two chapters, as well as Kris'. Please anticipate ^^