Change

I'm Not Just Your Umbrella

“Hyesun-ah you know him? Who was that?” Sehun ran after Hyesun after the last bell rang. Tao and Yoomi just followed after her as she left without even saying anything.

“Yeah, don’t you? He went to the same middle school with us.” Hyesun tried to answer calmly when her heart was actually racing inside.

“Ouh, I remember he’s that dancing kid right?” Yoomi said as they walk together along the hallway.

Well, it was understandable that they all didn’t know about Kai and Hyesun because they were not close with Hyseun until their last year in middle school. The thing happened between Hyesun and Kai was way before she was friend with Sehun, Tao and Yoomi. They probably just knew each other face before.

“Hey you guys go home first okay, I’ll just wait for Kyungsoo.” Hyesun said sending her friends away as they reach the school gate. Her hands were shivering without any reason as she clutched on her school strap.

When her friends were out of sight, Hyesun walked across the road to the nearest bench. Before reaching upon the bench she stumbled over a fist size rock and fell down on her knees. Her knees started to bleed as it was scratched when she fell.

Without even trying to hold back her tears, it rolled down her cheeks. She cried. It was not because of the pain that she felt on his knees but the pain that she tried to hold back ever since she saw Kai back in the classroom.

As she was sobbing, a pair of warm hands gripped on her shoulders by surprise and a voice muttered to her.

“Hey,, Hyesun-ah are you okay? What happened? Did you fell?” Kyungsoo concerned voice captured her ears. Kyungsoo helped her up and sitted her on the bench.

He threw his school bag beside Hyesun and got down on his knee. “Does it hurt? Can you walk?” Kyungsoo asked her in concerned. Their house was not that far from school anyway. Hyesun just kept silent and the tears just couldn’t stop from rolling down.

Kyungsoo took of his school blazer and tied it around Hyesun’s back. Then he took his backpack and wore it to his front. “I’ll carry you home okay?” he said. Hyesun wanted to reject the offer but then suddenly she was already on his back.

Kuyungsoo took care of her well tying his blazer behind Hyesun, the wind was blowing hard if it wasn’t because of the blazer at her back, her skirt would be blown up by now.

“Can I go to your place?” Hyesun who was quite since Kyungsoo approached her at the bench across their school finally spoke. “I have something to talk about.” She added.

Kyungsoo swallowed the lump that formed in his throat. Nowadays, he had always been flustered whenever she asked to come over. He didn’t answered back he just gave her a slight nod giving her an okay. He knew she would find out about it. It was only obvious that she would, they were going to be in the same class anyway. By ‘they’ Kyungsoo meant Kai and Hyesun.

With Hyesun on her back, Kyungsoo felt like he had committed a sin. Although Hyesun didn’t feel anything about him giving her a piggyback ride home, but Kyungsoo felt something about it. Without even wanting it that way, his heart was racing inside his chest. There was no space between him and Hyesun anymore, their body was in full contact.

Kyungsoo cleared his throat as he placed Hyesun on the couch when they reached Kyungsoo's living room. “You wait here okay, I’ll go get the aid-kid.” Kyungsoo went upstairs to his room to get the first aid-kid. God, Do Kyungsoo what is wrong with you?! He cursed in his mind.

The first aid-kid was actually in the kitchen, he just wanted to calm himself that he went up to his bedroom. Hyeun was probably upset with him because he didn’t warn him about Kai. Worst, he didn’t even give her a hint last night. She must be surprised to see Kai ended up in her class.

Hyesun looked up on the stairs when she heard Kyungsoo’s footstep. “The first aid-kid is not upstairs. I forgot that it was –” Kyungsoo didn’t get to finish his words when Hyesun showed him the first aid-kid.

“It was in the kitchen cabinet, remember?” Hyesun said shaking the first aid-kid in her hands.

“Yeah, I forgot.” Kyungsoo scratched the back of his head with one hand, and walked towards Hyesun. He took the first aid-kid box and placed it on the floor. At first Hyesun insist in applying the antiseptic herself but Kyungsoo convinced her to stay put.

Kyungsoo took out a few cotton buds and started to brush her scratches to remove the impurities. Then he took out some pieces of cotton and dipped it in the yellow-like solution which is the antiseptic. Hyesun just stared at him. Kyungsoo just focused his wide eyes on Hyesun knees."Tell me if it hurts," He said.

Putting the last tape on the gauze covering her scratch, Kyungsoo spoke up, “I have something to explain now.” He knows that he had to explain it sooner or later. He lifted his head and stared at Hyesun, “But I owe you an apology first.” He continued.

Hyesun just sat there silent. She was actually upset with Kyungsoo to not warn her about it. Since when was Kai in Korea? What is Kai doing here? There was a  lot of questions that she wanted to ask, but she just hold it all in.

“Hyesun-ah are you mad? I’m sorry okay.” Kyungsoo said in his voice feeling guilty.

“No, you did nothing wrong.” She replied. “I was the one who told you not to talk about it, remember?” she continued. Her voice was completely calm. Well she tried hard to sound as calm as she can.

She couldn’t blame Kyungsoo about it though. She was the one who told him at the park that she was not curious. When the timing was right, Hyesun told herself to ask Kyungsoo about everything.

“Make me food. I’m hungry.” Hyesun spoke up when things seems very awkward between them. She just did not want Kyungsoo to worry so much.

Kyungsoo was taken aback with Hyesun's calm reaction. She is a strong girl just to be clear but, she always seems so weak whenever things are about Kai. But, now it looks like she was not affected with Kai anymore. Is she really over him? Is there a hope for me? Kyungsoo asked in his head.

Kyungsoo went towards the kitchen and started gathering the ingredients to make lunch and fill in their hungry stomach.

♦ ¤ ♦ ¤ ♦

“So, Kai how’s school?” Joonmyeong asked as soon as she heard the door shut. Kai’s sister got off early from work and she continued updating her fansites back at home in the living room. She always asked about her little brother because she cared about him although Kai was not that little anymore.

“Yeah it’s fine, I made a lot of friends already.” He answered. He walked pass her sister and when to the kitchen. He took a bite if his Crunky chocolate bar from the fridge.

“You didn’t get into any trouble in your first day did you?” Joonmyeong asked her little brother again. This time she sounded serious although her eyes were on the screen.

“It’s just the first day, it wouldn’t be interesting if anything bad happen, right?” Kai smirked at his sister and raised one of his eyebrows. Joonmyeong just ignored her brother and focused back on her blogs.

“Noona, can you drive me to Kyungsoo hyung’s house?”  while taking another bite of his favorite chocolate bar.

“Sure, just tell me whenever.” She answered shortly, “ I bought Jajangmyeon for lunch, eat some.” She said but with her eyes and hands still busy on the laptop on her lap like her life depended on it.

“Can we go right now?” Kai said raising one of his eyebrows again.

“What? But you just got home, aren’t you tired.” Joonmyeong shut the laptop down and place it on the table as she turned towards Kai.

“I’ll just rest there then.” He talked back giving his noona his famous ‘the smirk’.

“Alright,,alright,, let’s go and stop giving ‘the smirk’ it gives me chills okay.” She took her car keys on the table and walk pass her brother.

Kai just chuckled and followed her sister outside.

♦ ¤ ♦ ¤ ♦

“Don’t forget to eat lunch okay, if you skip it I swear I’ll beat you up.” Joonmyeong shouted out her car window before zooming off her car on the road.

Kai just smiled and shook his head. Being the only son was not easy for him, plus being the maknae in the family, he couldn’t do anything except to obey his sisters.

Kai slid out his phone from his jeans and dialed on Kyungsoo’s number.

“Ouh hyung! I’m in front of your house. Can I come in?” he asked.

The other side of the line suddenly went quite for a second. “Hyung? Are you there?” Kai asked again when there was no answer from Kyungsoo.

“Yeah, sure, wait a sec.” Kyungsoo finally spoke up and hung up the phone.

After a few seconds the front door swang open. 

“Come on in, the gate is not lock just open it.” Kyungsoo shouted from the front door. Kyungsoo was still in his school uniform and so does Kai.

Kai open the gate and walk up towards the doorway. “Do you have guest?” Kai asked seeing another pair of school shoes beside Kyungsoo’s. Kyungsoo just smiled and nod.

“We’re just about to have lunch.” Kyungsoo said. “Come on I made extra.” He added.

Kai swallowed his saliva when someone in mind came in his sight.

“Hye, Kai.”Hyesun who was already at the dining table gave Kai a small wave.

“Erm,, yeah,, Hye.” Kai gave her a wave back and scratch the back of his head.

Kyungsoo looked at both of them before he went to sit beside Hyesun and pointing at the seat across him for Kai to seat. Kai just nodded and walked towards his sit.

“Kyungsoo-ah I signed up for dancing class today.” Hyesun spoke up while taking a bite of her spaghetti Bolognese.

Kai who was sitting across them suddenly choked on his food. “Yah,,yah,, aigoo this kid never changed” Kyungsoo scolded him and poured him a glass of water before passing it to him. “Eat slowly you brat,” he added

“Thanks hyung,” Kai gulped down the water and spoke up. “I signed up for the dance class too. I guess I’ll be seeing you often.” He smiled at Hyesun.

“Of course you would, you’re like the dancing machine.” Kyungsoo said looking at Kai. But, actually he was worried about Hyesun.

“Yeah, that would be nice.” Hyesun said and smiled back at Kai. Kyungsoo who was sitting beside her just took a glance at her before continue eating his food. Well, who was he to say anything about it anyway.

After eating lunch they sat together in the living room watching movies until late evening. Actually, Kyungsoo had a lot to ask Kai because they didn’t get to catch up with him yesterday. But he didn’t ask because Hyesun was around. He doesn’t want her to feel uncomfortable about it.

♦ ¤ ♦ ¤ ♦

“Guys, I got to get going now. Tell Mr.Do I said hye okay?” Hyesun suddenly said while the other guys was completely immersed in watching the movie. Both of them turned to look at her.

“Come on I’ll walk you home.” Kyungsoo stood up before Kai could even said anything.

“You don’t have to, just watch the movie.” Hyesun picked up her backpack and her school blazer.

“No, I said I’ll walk you home. You’re not walking alone with that legs young lady.” Kyungsoo grabbed his phone on the coffe table and put it inside his pocket. “Kai stay here for a minute okay,” He turned towards Kai who continued back watching the movie.

Kai just gave him a nod and stuff down popcorns in his mouth without saying anything. He was trying to be a good kid. He didn’t want to interfere more because he knows she is not his anymore. It was just his past, his first love.

Hyesun and Kyungsoo walked side by side along the road. Kyungsoo kept on glancing at Hyesun waiting  for her to say anything about meeting Kai. But she just kept silence.

“What are you staring at?” Hyesun caught Kyungsoo red handed when he was busy reading her face expression.

“Huh, nothing. I was just thinking. Are you alright?” Kyungsoo asked but not looking Hyesun in the eyes. His face turned red when she caught him staring at her. It would be weird if Hyesun sees him blushing.

“Why? I’m fine.” Hyesun answered calmly.

“Even after 4 years meeting Kai again?” Kyungsoo took the gut to look at her again with his hands tucked in his pocket.

“Kyungsoo-ah,” Hyesun halted from her pace and turned to look at Kyungsoo. “Thanks to you, I got over him for like 3 years ago okay,” Hyesun patted his shoulder and smiled.

“Okay.” Kyungsoo scratched the back of his head and smiled back. He was feeling defenseless again.

“Haha, whatever. I’m going in okay. Hyesun gave Kyungsoo a wave before opening her gate. “Ouh, and Kyungsoo I’m not a kid anymore. So, stop worrying so much.” She added before entering her house.

Kyungsoo just stood in front of Hyesun's house staring at the closed door. He looked away from the house and suddenly kick a trash can in front of him. He turned and walk away.

“Why must you say that Hyesun,” Kyungsoo let out a sigh when he turned away from Hyesun’s house.

Somehow Hyesun’s answer didn’t put his worries away at all. He was supposed to be relief about it, instead her answers made him pissed off in some way. He knows that he shouldn’t be feeling that way. But, how can he stop his own feeling?

“That made me more worried pabo-ya,” Kyungsoo said with his head down. “because you might not need me anymore to worry about you someday.” He whispered to himself and walked home feeling tired all of a sudden.

Kai was rearranging the living room when Kyungsoo got home. “Ouh hyung, the movie’s over.” Kai said.

“Woah the ending was tragic! The guy didn’t even confessed his feeling towards her before he died.” Kai shook his head in disbelief.

“How can such person exist! He should have confessed to her if she likes her. Right hyung?” Kai was criticizing about the movie that he just watched. Yeah, that’s just like him always over-reacting over some movies.

“Maybe it’s hard for him to confess!” Suddenly Kyungsoo blew up as if Kai was talking about him. “He doesn’t have the confidence. Try to understand will you?” Kyungsoo walked to the kitchen and took a glass from the cabinet and poor some milk into his glass.

“Wow hyung, you’re pissed. What happened?” Kai raised his eyebrows and walked across the living room to the kitchen. He was surprised to see Kyungsoo suddenly blew up infront of him. He thought he was the only one who usually over-reacted over some movies.

“I’m not pissed. What makes you say that?” Kyungsoo put down his glass and place it the sink. He wiped his mouth with his shirt and sat in the living room.

“Erm, yes you are.” Kai said following him back to the living room. “You always drink a one-shot on a glass of milk whenever you’re pissed.” Kai said looking at his hyung.

Then Kai chuckled watching Kyungsoo who eyes were fixed on the television. “Hyung, you made it more obvious though.” Kai added.

“What did I do? I’m not pissed.” Kyungsoo kept his eyes on the television.

“Yeah, and since when did you started watching Barbie?” Kai let out the laughter that he held back the moment Kyungsoo switched on the television.

Kyungsoo widened his eyes when he just realized that he was actually watching Barbie. He took the remote and switched the channel.

“Look at you being happy and laughing.” Kyungsoo turned to face Kai. Then he knuckled his head and wrestled him down.

“After years of leaving without saying goodbye and here you are back making fun of me huh?” Kyungsoo punch him twice on his arm.

“Okay hyung,, okay hyung,, I’m sorry.” Kai tried to defend himself. “Aigoo hyung, you just wouldn’t change.” Kai sat back straight and ruffled his messed hair.

Kyungsoo just laugh back at him and before you know it they were talking to each other again. Kai told him everything that happened back in the State about Jungah noona having her shot-gun wedding. Joonmyeong who was completely insane over some boy group named EXO. They talked like they always does back in the years.

Something just doesn’t change even after years had passed. Still, most of them change. How Kyungsoo felt about Hyesun wasn’t the same way he felt before, How Hyesun acted when facing Kai again wasn’t the way she acted before.

Also, the way Kai acted when he was in school wasn’t like the way he was back in middle school too. Although Kyungsoo thought that Kai was still the same Kim Jongin he knew before, but actually he changed a lot the past few years. Things just don’t seem to last forever. 


Author's Note;

Hey guys,, did I update it late again? =,=

Sorry I'm busy taking my driving class nowadays,,,

HAHA I'm so sad~~!! tomorrow there will be NO MORE EXO SHOWTIME -_-"

Anyways don't forget to subscribe,,upvotes and leave comments~~!!