I Should Stop

I'm Not Just Your Umbrella

Kyungsoo wipes away her tears and tilted her head to have her facing him, "It's not your fault. I'm sorry I got mad" Hyesun just stood there motionless.

"You must be tired right being with me for all these years." she said pushing his hand away trying to avoid his eyes.

"No, I'm not." Kyungsoo said with a soft voice, "and I never will be, I've promised you right when you were 10?"

Hyesun suddenly chuckled when she remembered their childish promise he made. It was a week after her father left her. She had been a crying mess that time. Instead of her mother being with her, comforting her, Kyungsoo was the one in that place. Her mother had started drinking and getting home late since that time.

“Go away, Kyungsoo.” She whimpered. “One day you’ll be tired of me like dad did and leave me.” The thirteen Hyesun ran to hide her petite body under the table. Although she was already thirteen that time her body was so small.

“Hey,” the fifteen years old Kyungsoo crouched beside the table. “You’re not a kid though to play hide and seek here,”

Kyungsoo pulled her out, “Stop crying,” he wipes away her tears, “I won’t leave you whatever happens okay,” He whispered,“I promise.” And kissed her forehead as a stamped that he promised.

♦ ¤ ♦ ¤ ♦

"Come on let's go home, it’s getting late." Kyungsoo nudge her on the shoulder and walked before her. Hyesun ran up to him to catch his pace and walked beside him. Kyungsoo flinched when he felt Hyesun clinging onto his arms "Can we get food before we go home?"

"Erm,, yeah, sure," Kyungsoo smiled and patted Hyesun on her head. "Let's get you a ddeokbukki."

"Assa~!" Hyesun clapped her hands. "Now, this is the old Kyungsoo." she punched him on the shoulder being excited suddenly when the topic of food came up.

"Hey,,don't push it." Kyungsoo rubbed his shoulder. "I might get mad at you again about this."

"Woah, since when do you know how to threatened me." Hyesun widened her eyes while walking side by side with Kyungsoo.

"Well now that I know that you would be scared if I'm mad at you, might as well I use this weak point of yours wisely," Kyungsoo smiled sheepishly. Hyesun just glared at him for teasing her on purpose.

Now she realized that her trauma of being left by the person she cared still frightened her. It was a trauma that she had when her father left her. Back in the years, whenever Kyungsoo had to leave for a vacation or something she would cry all day thinking that he wouldn’t come back. After a few years, she thought that she had got over her trauma, now she knows that she didn’t.

They walked towards a food stall across the road which was not far from the cinema. As they sat down, Kyungsoo ordered a bowl of spicy ddeokbukki and took a few skewers of fishcakes.

“Here, the whole bowl is yours.” Kyungsoo placed the bowl of ddeokbukki in front of her.

“I’ll just eat these fishcakes.” stuffing his mouth with them.

“How am I going to finish the whole bowl?!” Hyesun asked like it was impossible for her to eat all of it.

“Well, trust me you will.” Kyungsoo gave her a convincing look. “Just eat, if you couldn’t finish it up I’ll eat the rest.”

Kyungsoo had just finished his third skewers of fishcakes when Hyesun placed her emptied bowl on the table.

“You’re a monster,” Kyungsoo exclaimed. “This is only like my third skewers and you had finish the whole bowl?!”

“Well, I was a bit hungry.” Hyesun patted her full stomach. “Ouh, that was so good.” She gulped down some water.

“You were complaining earlier about finishing it, now look at you.” Kyungsoo shook his head.

Just like that they were back together laughing and joking over stupid stuff. Kyungsoo knew that how hard he tried himself to keep a distance from her he’ll ended up being the first to get the distance closer again. Sometimes he was mad at himself for giving in so easily.

“So, tell me how did Kai and you..” Kyungsoo paused in between his lines to peek at Hyesun if she was fine with the question, “you know...like get back together?” he continued.

“Ouh, well he texted me first though.” Hyesun answered. “I never thought that he would be saving my number anymore since, well we broke up.” She curved up a smile.

Seeing her smile again didn’t actually made Kyungsoo feel relieved. He had been longing to see her smiling face again since the last few days, but somehow her smile just now shot pain in him.

“Ah,, so he texted you first?” He took a sip of his cola. “So, what happen? I mean like did you catch up with each other?”

Kyungsoo isn’t the type who would like to bother asking on other people’s business but he usually does it when it’s Hyesun. At first, its not like he wanted to but he knows that he had to. Somehow that’s one of the way for him to make Hyesun feels that someone does cared about her in this world. But tonight he wasn’t asking because he knows he had to but because he really wanted to know. He was just curious about Hyesun would truly felt after all these years since Kai anf her broke up.

“Yeah, we kinda hangout like for the whole day today,” Hyesun started. “First, we just went for a walk at the park though. Trust me it was really awkward for me having him around nowadays.” Hyesun adjusted her position of sitting like she was excited at telling her story of Kai.

“Then, I told him I had a few things to buy. Well, I didn’t really expect him to accompany me because I was fine all by myself,” Again Hyesun curved up a smile. “But, he said he wanted to spend some time with me.”

Kyungsoo just sat there lending his ears, like he was very interested with her story. Every now and then he nodded to response and gulped down his cola. Whenever the beverage went down his throat he found it really hard to swallow because of the jealousy he felt when he realized that Hyesun would still has feelings for Kai.

Kyungsoo was silence for a few seconds before he continued asking further. She continued her story like it was the happiest time of her life spending time with Kai that day.

When he saw the sparks in Hyesun 's eyes as she was talking, Kyungsoo confirmed it himself that she still has feelings for Kai. And he mentally noted that he should really try to stop chasing after her now if he don’t want any scar left in his heart from this one-sided love.

♦ ¤ ♦ ¤ ♦

"Wow,,Seriously you guys made a pretty quick progress." Kyungsoo said when they both walked towards the bus stop after finished eating and walked towards the bus stop.

"I expected that you guys would be awkward for a long time though, when you guys meet again," he continued. "For the first time my intuition about you is wrong," Kyungsoo added while looking at her.

"Haha,,see I've changed." Hyesun stick out her tongue to . "I'm more mature now Do Kyungsoo." She flipped her hair like she's mature enough to live on her own.

Kyungsoo just chuckled seeing her proud reaction. As the bus arrived they boarded on and sat at the back seat because it was their favorites, something that they both had in common since middle school when they rode a bus to school.

“Hey, how’s your mom doing?” Kyungsoo asked out of the blue trying to distract himself from thinking about Hyesun and Kai.

“Well, she is as usual.” Hyesun bright expression changed. “I don’t know what to do anymore,” she sighed, “Actually, I don’t know what to do at all.” She added.

“Well, what is there to do.” Kyungsoo shrugged. “Don’t worry much. I’m sure she’ll find someone perfect for her to settle down.”

Hyesun just smiled back at him. She would like to believe what Kyungsoo had said. But, knowing her mother she won’t be settling down that easy. It’s been 4 years since she was divorced and she was still the same from 4 years back when she was divorced.

“Yeah, maybe she’ll find the perfect person one day.” Hyesun answered shortly.

They only boarded the bus for only 10 minutes and Hyesun had already gone to dreamland resting her head on Kyungsoo’s shoulder.

Although Kyungsoo somehow felt uncomfortable having her so close, he just let her be. It’s not an uncomfortable feeling because you hate something, but it was an uncomfortable feeling because you’re scared that you might do something bad to that person.

♦ ¤ ♦ ¤ ♦

As the bus stopped at the bus stop across the park near their house, Kyungsoo shook Hyesun gently telling her they had arrived.

Still being half awaked Hyesun walked down the bus with Kyungsoo supporting her by her side. With Hyesun’s shopping bags on his left hand and her right hand supporting Hyesun, Kyungsoo found it hard to walk all the way home like that.

“Yaa, are you really going to do this to me?” Kyungsoo shook her shoulder again.

“I’m just too tired, Can’t I just close my eyes while walking?” Hyesun answered.

“Wah, you really won’t give me a rest, are you?” Kyungsoo halted from his pace and pulled up the shopping bags up to his shoulder.

“Why are we stopping?” Hyesun opened her eyes half way to look around, “Are we home yet?”

“Aigoo, this girl always make me do all kind of things.” Kyungsoo get on his knees in front of Hyesun.

“Get on my back.” He wrapped Hyesun’s hands around his shoulder.

“Wait,, wait,, I’m all awake now.” After Hyesun could even finish her whole sentence, Kyungsoo got up and walked towards their house. Hyesun felt guilty again for having Kyungsoo carrying her after the situation that they had earlier.

“I rather do this than supporting you walked like a zombie.” Kyungsoo hissed.

Suddenly there was no reply from Hyesun. “Hyesun-ah are you asleep?” Kyungsoo turned his head to the right making him only inches away from Hyesun’s face who rested her head on his shoulder.

Kyungsoo gulped down and just turned back his head to the front and continue to walk with silence. He was taken aback by how close he was again with her face. He shook his head a few times to shake away the weird thoughts that suddenly lingered on his mind.

♦ ¤ ♦ ¤ ♦

“Ouh, finally you guys are home.” Mrs. Jung was quite taken aback when she opened the door to see Kyungsoo standing in front her doorway with Hyesun on his back. Kyungsoo just gave her a smile before turning a bit showing Hyesun on her back who was deep in her sleep.

“Yes,, yes,, come in.” Mrs. Jung let him in and followed him to the stares. “Just tuck her in her bed.” Mrs. Jung walked pass Kyungsoo to open Hyesun’s bedroom door for him.

“I’ll be waiting downstairs okay.” Mrs. Jung gave him a smile before heading back downstairs.

“Yeah, I’ll be right down after I tuck her in.”Kyungsoo whispered back at Mrs. Jung. He pulled away her comforter and placed her down. He pulled up the comforter over her and switched off her light.

“Kyungsoo-ah,” as he was about to leave the room, Hyesun grabbed his wrist making him stop his pace. “Promise me you’ll never leave me okay?” Hyesun eyes were closed it made Kyungsoo confused weather she said it intentionally or just sleep talking.“Yeah, I promise.” He replied anyway.

“Promise me you’ll stay as my bestfriend forever okay?” Hyesun asked again. This time Kyungsoo was a bit hesitant to answer. Just bestfriend? Being just bestfriend? Forever? He gulped down and thought things through for a while.

“Yeah, I promise. Bestfriend forever.”

The words seem so hard to be said out of his mouth but it was harder to be swallowed back. He had to teach himself to stop now. Stop hoping for something that would never happen like how he hoped for his deceased mother to be with him.

♦ ¤ ♦ ¤ ♦

After closing Hyesun’s door behind him, Kyungsoo head downstairs to bid Mrs. Jung goodnight.

“Thanks Kyungsoo for bringing her home.” Mrs. Jung patted Kyungsoo on the shoulder being grateful that Hyesun has someone that she could depend on.

“Yeah, no problem.” Kyungsoo smiled. “She was probably tired shopping all day today.”

Mrs. Jung just chuckled. “Also, thanks for being with her all this while. I’m very relieved that Hyesun has  someone like a brother for her to depend on.” Mrs. Jungs added.

Brother? Being just bestfriend and now even a brother? Yeah maybe that’s the only thing that suit you Do Kyungsoo.Kyungsoo mentally noted it to himself.

“Well, that’s what brothers do.” Kyungsoo scratched the back of his head. “I’ll make sure to keep an eye on her Mrs. Jung.” Kyungsoo gave another warm smile. “Well I better get going now.”

“Okay, be careful on your way home.” Mrs. Jung walked Kyungsoo to the door and waved him goodbye before closing back the door.

Kyungsoo walked along the dark road, still deep in his thoughts. His mind keeps telling him that he should stop this pethathic one-sided love that he had since middle school but his heart was still not ready. He really felt like breaking down thinking how coward he was for not being able to confess to her. Should I really just stop?


Author's Note;

Ouh WOW~!! it's like a month since I last updated~ O_O so sorry~ quite busy these days,,~

I hope this chapter will make it up,,and I promise to be updating soon ^_^ I'M JUST SO 'OVERDOSE' NOWADAYS~!!

DON'T FORGET TO SUBSRCIBE, COMMENT AND UPVOTE ^_^