Name of the Wind: HunHan

AU drabble dump

Drabble 9: Name of the Wind, Hunhan

“Everything has a name, Sehun. And when you know something’s true name—the truest, deepest, elemental name of an object, you will gain mastery over it.” Luhan extended his finger, and a droplet of water rose out of the glass in front of him. Abruptly, he curled his hand back into itself, and the water splashed back into the cup.

Sehun jerked slightly, and then nodded slowly. “Is that how your power works, Luhan?”

The older student smiled slightly. “No, actually. My power isn’t an elemental power; I don’t know why your professor sent you to me, and not Suho. Suho’s power is more like this; he has mastery over water, because he understands it so intimately. You have an affinity for wind, right Sehun? So, if you want to become more powerful, you must work on learning the name of the wind.”

“How do I do that?”

Luhan chuckled. “Ask Suho. And also, pay attention in class.” He reached across the table and flicked Sehun’s forehead, snickering when Sehun whined and rubbed at the spot. “They teach you important things like that.”

“None of my professors have mentioned learning the names of the elemental powers.”

“That’s because you haven’t specialized yet, because you’re so young. Next year, you’ll learn more about this stuff in a more professional setting. But your professor is sending you to me because your affinity for the wind is manifesting itself early, and he doesn’t want any accidents to happen. What they do teach you about is meditation and mind control, and these are both especially important for you, Sehunnie.”

Sehun was seventeen, and a very early bloomer. Most people’s powers didn’t show until the age of twenty, although there were special cases, such as Suho, whose power had manifested in his early teens, causing him to train for seven years in near-isolation before he could control himself well enough to return to the outside world again.

“Are you going to transfer me over to Suho, then?” Sehun made a face. “He’s so quiet and hermit-like.”

Luhan chuckled. “He’s just shy. Once you get to know him, he’s just like a regular person.”

“But are you?” Sehun asked insistently.

Luhan smiled slightly and shook his head. “No, I’ll take you on for the rest of the school year. I was kidding about Suho-ah.”

Sehun smiled slightly and reached across the table to steal Luhan’s cup of water. “So, are you going to teach me how to name the wind?”

Luhan wrinkled his nose as Sehun took a sip from his cup, but reached out across the table and put his hand over Sehun’s anyways. “It’ll be alright, Sehun. We’ll find a way for you to control your powers.”

Sehun turned his hand over and squeezed Luhan’s fingers tightly. “Thanks.”

Luhan cackled with glee when the mug of water suddenly flew out of Sehun’s fingers and dumped its contents on to his head, startling Sehun into a shout of laughter.

a/n: Y'all should read The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss if you get the chance; it's a very good book! The magic discussed in this drabble does depend a little bit on the ideas from that book, but it is certainly not the same. Thanks for reading, I hope you enjoyed my first (implicit-ish) hunhan, and upvote and subscribe if you enjoyed, and comment whatever your reaction was!