Suhan: Masked Pt. 1

AU drabble dump

a/n: Warnings: mentions of domestic violence.

Drabble 21: Masked

“…And so, we must put our best face forward. We must welcome the citizens of the Land of Fire Lilies into our lands, we must let them mingle with us, my dear people. We must not give them a reason to use violence on us.” Suho’s pace faltered slightly, and he came to a stop in the center of the village square. “Remember, my people, your suffering is my suffering. And yet, we must not let them see how they affect us! For now, accept their presence with a smooth mask. Do not give them a reason to harm you.”

Suho’s advisor, Jongdae, suddenly darted out from the crowd and caught Suho’s waist in a firm grip. “Your suffering is my suffering,” Suho repeated. “I can feel your pain, my people. Please, heed my request, and soon, the pain will be over and we can set our feet on the path to a rise to glory.” Suho’s face was growing paler by the second, and he raised his hand to the crowd gathered around the square, who roared their approval in response.

Jongdae kept an iron grip on Suho’s torso as they made their way to the carriage sitting in the corner of the square. “Almost there, my prince. Almost there.”

Suho blinked, and then fainted dead away in Jongdae’s grasp.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Suho woke to the soothing feeling of the carriage rolling over the cobble stones of a paved road. He turned his head to the side and met Jongdae’s worried look with a gentle smile. “I’m sorry you had to see that.”

“Don’t be ridiculous, I’ve seen you go through worse,” Jongdae said grimly. “Would you like some water, your Highness?”

“That would be much appreciated.”

Jongdae handed Suho the water, and waited impatiently while Suho took a gulp of water. “My prince, you shouldn’t have gone to speak today if you were feeling ill.”

“I feel ill, every day Jongdae.” Suho pulled out a handkerchief from his pocket and wet the corner of it before handing the water back to his advisor. “That was the very purpose of today’s speech.”

“I don’t understand.”

Suho carefully wiped beneath his left eye, and a smudge of white came off on to his handkerchief, revealing the dark bruise. “You underestimate me, Jongdae. All of today was carefully planned. You’ve seen me disguise my injuries much better than this. The shadow of the bruise was clearly visible to anyone who so much as glanced at my face. I wanted to remind the people that I suffer as they do, and that I understand their pain. All they needed to do was look at my face and see how thin and pale I’ve become to understand that. But then, to drive the message home—that we must show our best face, even in the face of defeat—I showed them that by coming to speak to them, even when I was clearly unwell. Fainting on my way out of the square only underscored the fact.”

“The square went into an uproar when you collapsed. I barely made it to the carriage before the first citizen could get close enough to ask about your well-being.”

“Yes, well. You know how it is,” Suho chuckled softly as he folded the damp handkerchief back into a neat square.

“Your husband will hear of this.”

“Undoubtedly.”

“Will it stop him, tonight?”

“I don’t think anything will stop him from beating me,” Suho sighed quietly. “But soon, I hope it will be over.”

“You will be pleased to know that Prince Baekhyun has reached his castle in exile safely, and that he is doing well there. A spy passed the information to me while you were speaking.”

“Did they know of my parents?”

“I have heard rumors of a movement that are attempting to whisk your parents over the border into safety with the Nation of the Herons, but no one has confirmed if their attempt has succeeded.”

“I hope it does,” Suho sighed. “I have been arranging the steps to get them across myself, but it is too dangerous for me to receive any knowledge about their movements.”

“On the contrary, my prince. King Luhan will undoubtedly inform you first if they have been killed.”

Suho laughed wryly. “Well, there is that,” he murmured after a small pause. He reached over and squeezed Jongdae’s hand tightly. “You’ve been a great comfort to me, Jongdae.”

“Anything for you, Prince Suho.”

The carriage came to a halt, and Suho quickly released Jongdae’s hand. “Get out of the way as soon as you can, Jongdae.”

“As you wish, Prince Suho.” Jongdae slipped out of the carriage, helped Suho step out, and then vanished into the shadows the moment Suho’s fingers slipped from his.

Suho smiled at the carriage driver and thanked him just as Luhan came around the corner.

“Suho.”

Suho stilled, and then turned away. The carriage driver snapped his reins and clattered away, leaving the two men alone in the courtyard.

“Luhan.” Suho smiled faintly at him and bowed politely.

“Where have you been?”

“I went down to speak in one of the more unruly villages today.” Suho remained where he was, afraid to move.

“Come here, Suho.” Luhan waited until Suho was beside him before putting an arm around Suho’s waist, his lip curling slightly when he felt Suho’s shudder of distaste.

“I heard your speech. Very impressive. And fainting at the end was a lovely touch.”

“I’m glad you think so.” Suho forced himself not to show any fear.

“I expect there to be great results. Most people were discussing how they were frightened of what would happen to you if they continued to rebel.”

“Perhaps they should have been,” Suho said quietly.

Luhan’s grip on his waist tightened uncomfortably for a moment, and then loosened. “I wonder what you must think of me, to think that I would hang your life over their heads in return for their obedience.”

Suho did not reply.

Luhan stopped walking and turned Suho to face him, his eyes roving over his husband’s face. “I see that you removed the make-up you wore in the square.” He pressed his lips to the bruised area under Suho’s eye, and smirked when Suho flinched backwards.

“You think I am weak,” Suho said at last, simmering rage sharpening his words. “You are wrong.”

“On the contrary, you must be one of the strongest people I’ve ever met. It takes great strength to admit defeat,” Luhan said smugly, and patted the side of Suho’s face. “I’ll see you after dinner, Suho.” He withdrew and walked away, leaving Suho standing alone at the entrance to the palace.

Suho shook himself and hurried inside, his feet carrying him up several flights of stairs, past the looks of pity and rage burning in the servant’s eyes. He stumbled into his room and locked the door behind him with one hand, the other hand coming to tug at the collar of his shirt. He walked into the bathroom and stared at his face in the mirror. The bruise beneath his eye immediately caught his attention, and he the faucet and splashed water all over his face, washing away the feeling of Luhan’s hands.

He let out a broken sob and let his head rest against the cool stone wall. The weight of carrying his nation was too much for him to bear alone.

a/n: I'm thinking about making this into a full story at some point. What did you guys think? I know, all the angst ahahaha. Anyways, please leave a comment with your thoughts, and upvote and subscribe if you're enjoying so far :)