A Mask

Breathless Love

Hey Guys! This is author emjchin21 I am so sorry that I was unable to update any sooner. I have just had a packed summer and with school starting it was a little tough but I wrote a slightly longer chappy for you guys! I kinda strayed from the fluff a little but I hope you like it!!! 


 

Yeoreum pressed her back against the gym wall as her sweat trickled down her forehead. She let out heavy breaths as the basketball slipped out of her hand. Her muscles were aching from the strenuous hours of practice.

The silence was broken when the sound of footsteps echoed through the room. The footsteps stopped beside her and sat next to her.

“Oh hey Sehun,” she said, her voice trembling slightly, “What are you doing here?”

Without giving a reply, Sehun let out a sigh and hung his head low. The room was filled with silence until Sehun decided to speak up.

“Can I asked you something?”

Yeoreum nodded in response.

“Do you know how it feels to have something so close to you but yet so unreachable?" Sehun asked, “Yeoreum I just don’t know what to do.”

Yeoreum placed her hand on top of his and gave him an understanding gaze. Sehun let out a sigh and continued.

“There’s this girl that I’ve liked for quite some time now, but the thing is I’m only a friend to her and it hurts seeing her with someone else.”

Yeoreum’s heart clenched. She knew all too well how he felt. How much pain she felt in this moment was indescribable. Listening to Sehun’s heartfelt words, listening to him talking about his feelings towards someone else. She didn’t know what to do. All she could do was listen.  

Yeoreum broke out of her thoughts as Sehun continued talking.

“I don’t know how long I can keep wearing this mask. In front of her I put on a mask to make me seem happy and strong but all I want is for her to notice how much I truly care for her.”

Sehun stopped for a moment and continued, “I just don’t know what to do anymore Yeoreum. I don’t know if I can keep up this façade. What do I do?”

Yeoreum’s breath hitched, she could feel the tears threatening to escape her eyes but she held it in. Instead, she turned to Sehun and smiled at him.

“I know its hard Hun, I know how much it hurts,” Yeoreum spoke with a shaky voice, “but if keeping that mask on is the cause of your pain you should just go out and tell her. As scary as that may be, you just have to step out and do it. Maybe it’ll lighten your burden.”

Yeoreum let out a breath and grabbed both of Sehun’s hands. As much as it hurt her, all she wanted was for Sehun to be happy and this was the way only she could do that.

“Just be strong, okay? For me.”

Sehun pulled Yeoreum in his embrace and nuzzled his head at the crook of her neck. Yeoreum’s stomach churned as his warmth engulfed her body but at the same time she felt a pang in her chest knowing that his actions meant nothing more than friendship.

However, Sehun always felt safe with Yeoreum. He always felt as if she understood him and he always felt like she never judged him and would always listen to his rants and his problems. He could freely say what was on his mind and he could even say things he would never say to others. Sehun only found this comfort in Yeoreum and treasured her a lot but everything to him was just platonic.

***

When Yeoreum arrived home, she washed up and locked herself in her room. She laid on her bed staring at her ceiling. She should be used to this by now. She should be used to having Sehun talk to her about his problems. She shouldn’t be feeling this way.

Yeoreum buried her face in her pillow as thoughts ran through her mind. She didn’t know what to do anymore.

Yeoreum grabbed her phone and dialed Aerin’s number. The dialing tone echoed in her ear before Aerin picked up. Shuffling noises could be heard before she heard her voice.

“Rin?” Yeoreum said as her voice shook, “I need to talk to you.”

“What’s up Unnie?” She asked.

Yeoreum sighed before speaking up.

“You know how Sehun comes to me with his problems sometimes?”

“Mhm.”

“Well today was one of those days but it was different. He was talking about the girl he likes and I couldn’t help but help him. Why do I do this to myself? It hurts to listen to him and listening to him makes me want to help him. But helping him hurts me…”

Aerin felt bad for her best friend because she knew how much Yeoreum liked Sehun and she knew how much she cares for him. All she wanted to do was hug her and wash all her pains away.

“Unnie… Don’t be sad, it makes me sad when you’re sad. I know it’s difficult but… Hwaiting!”

Yeoreum just laughed. Talking to Aerin and Yujin always helped they always knew how to cheer her up.

“Thanks Aerin, you’re the best.”

With that, the two girls hung up. Now that Yeoreum was feeling better, she decided she would pack her bags so that she would be ready to go to Chen’s resort the next morning.

***

The next morning, Yeoreum felt the sun rays touch her skin. Her eyes opened as she laid in her bed. She glanced at her clock and got out of bed.

Unlocking her phone, a smile graced Yeoreum’s lips as she gazed at her lock screen photo of her and her two best friends smiling away.

Feeling content, she got ready to leave to see her favourite people.

When she was ready, she grabbed her things and gathered all her things before leaving the house. However just as she was about to leave, her phone vibrated.

“Hello?”

Yeoreum heard rustling through her phone causing her eyebrows to knit together in confusion, but just as she was about to speak again she was greeted by Yujin’s voice.

“Yeoreum! Don’t leave your house Aerin and I are coming right now to pick you up!”

But before Yeoreum could reply Yujin had already hung up. Yeoreum let out a sigh as her lips curved into a content smile.

***

When the three girls arrived at the resort they were greeted by a beautiful vacation home. They stepped into the huge double doors and was faced with the three boys who were ready to go and have fun.

“Come on guys let’s go! We have been waiting for you three for so long!”

However, just as the boys were about to race out to the beach Aerin stopped them.

“Wait!”

The boys paused confused.

“We still have to wait for Luhan” Aerin said sternly.

Realization dawned on the boys. Although they had to wait longer they knew it was worth it for a friend.

Moments later however, Luhan arrived. As he walked in, awe was evident on his face. He had never seen a place so big and beautiful. Luhan’s thoughts were quickly interrupted when he was tackled by Sehun and Baekhyun.

“Hyung! Hurry you are the last person to arrive and we want to get to the beach now!”

With that, Luhan was escorted (more like kidnapped) to his room to get changed.

***

When the seven arrived on the beach, the boys couldn’t wait any longer. The four of them ripped their shirts off (not literally) and raced into the water. The girls simply looked at each other and sighed.

“Boys….” They said in unison.

The three of them just laughed and began to set up the towels and umbrellas.

Content under the shade the girls refused the invitation to go into the water. However, their peace was broken when each of them were picked up. Chen smirked at Yeoreum as he ran towards the water.

“Chen don’t you dare!”

None the less, it was too late, Yeoreum was drenched from head to toe. She watched Baekhyun run in with Yujin. But the sight that caught her utmost attention was Aerin fighting off Luhan and Sehun. Oh was it a sight to see. Sehun had grabbed Aerin’s legs while Luhan grabbed her arms. But eventually her fight was futile as she was thrown into the water.

The whole group was laughing hysterically except for Aerin who was pouting.

"Ya! Oppa!” Aerin yelled frustrated.

Her burst of frustration though caused more laughter among the group.

“Aww come on Rin, all of us got wet. Don’t be upset” Yeoreum and Yujin cooed.

A few moments later a smiled formed on Aerin’s lips. She brought her two best friends closer to her and whispered into their ears.

“We will have our revenge.” Aerin said, evil dripping from her voice.

“Any ideas?” The other two girls asked.

“I think I have something up my sleeve…”


Hi guys hope you enjoyed this chapter! Sorry if it was not that great but I really tried my best writing this chapter foryou guys! If you guys could leave a comment and tell us about it or maybe even some helpful critisim we would really appreciate it! Thank you so much guys!!!