By Your Side: Chapter One

By Your Side

It was a warm spring morning in Seoul. The sun was out and the temperature outside wasn’t so bad. You sat up from your bed and stretched your arms then rubbed your eyes. With the covers still covering your legs, you looked over to the side where you see a picture of you and your family, happily smiling while you were back in Busan.

Yes, when you were small you lived in Busan with your family but your parents had sent you to Seoul to study and become whatever you wanted to be. Unlike in Busan, you didn’t have a large house like you used to, instead you lived in a rooftop apartment where you were isolated and it was peaceful. You also weren’t the richest girl on the block but you could still make somewhat of a living and still pay for your college tuition. You work as a waitress at a five star restaurant, that way you can earn a high income.

You smiled and took the picture from where it sad and looked at it. “Eomma… Appa” you said at the picture, “I promise I will make you proud!” You kissed the picture and set it back down then got out of bed and get ready for school. Your school, Bangtan University, isn’t a private school so you didn’t have to wear any uniforms.

While picking out your outfit, you heard a lot of rustling from the other side. The noise became so noticeable and your curiosity grew. You quickly put ont your selected clothes then looked outside to see that someone is moving in the other rooftop apartment. “Oh?” you thought to yourself. As much as you wanted to go out and check it out, you couldn’t because you had to get ready for school.

You fixed up a bowl of ramyun, commoner’s food, and ate it whole heartedly then placed your dishes at the sink. You slipped on your socks and your shoes, grabbed your back and headed out the door. On your way out, you could still see the men placing furniture in the other apartment. There was so much furniture that you couldn’t believe that they all could actually fit in that tiny apartment. You shook your head then went back to focusing on going to school. You looked away then walked down the stairs where you exited your building. You got on your motor bike and drove your way to Bangtan University.

With the busy streets, you managed to make it to school on time where you find your friend Sandy waiting for you at the curb.

“C’mon we’re gonna be late!” Sandy. Sandy is a typical fashionista but under all of that she’s a complete nerd. Boys often go for her looks rather than her personality which she finds to be disgusting. Often you would get jealous of Sandy because she grabs the boys attention whereas they only see you as “Sandy’s friend.”

“Calm down Sandy we still have five minutes before the bell rings!” you said trying to calm her down.

“I know but Jason is coming!”

“Who?”

“Jason! He’s the new kid and I really like him!”

“Jason… oh is he that guy that transferred from China?”

“YES HIM! My golly he’s so cute! C’mon I wanna watch him go to class!”

“You know he’s not that big of a superstar.

“In my world he is now let’s go!” Sandy grabs you by the arms and races with you up the stairs to follow Jason around. As her heart kept beating chaotically, yours is calm and very relaxed. The only thing you had in mind was that you have a new rooftop neighbor and couldn’t wait to meet the owner.

Throughout the day, school was normal for you. Nothing was new and nothing was old. Afterwards you had to go to work. You didn’t want to be late so you left Sandy and hopped on your bike. You drove to the restaurant you worked at parked in the back. you walked in rom the back, changed into your waitress closed then placed an apron around your waste. You then grabbed your notepad and walked out where customers have waited in line for a while.

“Welcome to Bangtan’s! Please follow me” you said with a smile as you your party to their table. The whole day you seated people and even took their orders. You were completely exhausted an hour before your shift was over, but you were so hard working you had to keep up your positive energy.

When your shift was over, your boss was pretty proud of you and gave you your pay for the day.

“WOW! 3OO,OOO WON?!” you said in surprise.

“Yep! Ms. Kim you definitely deserve it!” said your boss with a smile.

“Thank you so much!” you said with glee and hugged him around the waist. Your boss laughed and gestured you for you to go home and study.

Once oyu got home, you dropped your bag on the side and jumped on your bed with full happiness. With your pay, you placed the cash in a jar along with the rest of your money. Just as you were about to start studying, you walked over to your kitchen sink to wash the bowl you had this morning and noticed that your neighbor’s apartment was lit up. As you were washing it, you noticed the owner step out and stood outside to look at the stars.

You just watched him, trying to get a glimpse of him from time to time. In your mind you thought of how he looked like. You thought that he may be your ideal type and just as you were about to day dream, a knock came upon your door. your turned off the faucet and dried your hands then walked over to the door. before you opened it, you fixed your hair and you clothes then shook of your thoughts about how your neighbor looked.

Right when you opened the door, a man of about your age stood looking down. “Hello?” you said. The boy was startled then slowly looked up with a smile.


“Hello! I’m Jungkook. Your new neighbor.”