Chapter 5

Love Her and Keep Her
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Sarang felt her heart beat speed up at what he said and she quickly cleared to cover up her heart’s strange reaction. Following that small action, Sarang closed her book to put into her bag. Not a single though appeared in her mind but she only knew to get away from Hanbin. “I have to go.” Sarang couldn’t be found speaking to him, it would  only get back to Mino’s ears and big problems are sure to begin.

Hanbin clenched his hands, withholding his frustrations. Just like in the present time, the Sarang now didn’t even want to be around him. He pressed his lips together so that he wouldn’t say anything that would push her further away. “Be safe walking home.” He offered her a soft smile after much internal struggle.

Her quick hands slowed down in their movements at his words. She knew she had somehow insulted him but if she wanted to keep this boy from getting on Mino’s bad side, it couldn’t be helped. Even after switching seats to please Mino, it didn’t stop Hanbin from talking to her. “You too.” Lastly, she grabbed her bag off the table and promply walked out of the library.

After the unsuccessful interaction, Hanbin walked home with his hopes having been deflated. He walked into his room, finding Jinhwan lounging on his bed as casual as can be. “What are you doing here?” The sight of the angel no longer surprising him.

“Reading.” Jinhwan was flipping through his magazine and not bothering Hanbin with a single glance.

“What is that? 'Angel’s Weekly'?” Hanbin walked over and took a seat at his desk. Aren’t angels busy? But it looked like Jinhwan had all the time in the world.

“Nope, 'Celebrity Gossip'.” The boy answered cheerfully. “So, how is your mission going?”

“Well, my wife is still dating another man.”

“Ex-wife.” Jinhwan corrected him harmlessly.

Hanbin gritted his teeth at Jinhwan's tactlessness. “Right, my ex-wife.”

“So, what are you going to do now?”

Hanbin sighs. “I don’t know. She won’t even let me get close to her.” The memory of Sarang rushing out of the library unwantingly came back to mind.

Jinhwan finally looks up at Hanbin and away from his intriguing magazine. “You’re the one with the advantage here, you were married to her, you know things about her that Mino doesn’t.” That fact was obvious enough.

Hanbin opened his mouth to agree with him but closed it when nothing came to mind. He felt like he was forcefully awoken up from a beautiful dream. That can’t be right, how could he not know anything about Sarang?

Hanbin stuttered.

But it was true, he didn’t even know that she liked to read.

“You’ve got to be kidding.” Jinhwan stared at the boy in surprise. “You don’t know anything about her?”

“I know what she doesn’t like.” He only knew that because Sarang had personally told him - but the things that she did have a preference for, he didn’t have a clue. Hanbin’s answer did nothing to remove that shocked look from Jinhwan’s expression.

“You two have been together for five years.” Jinhwan stated softly. “Then, do you realize why she divorced you?”

“She didn’t love me anymore.” Hanbin answered softly. This unsettling feeling was beginning to take shape within him. He didn’t need to be reminded about that at the current time, that neither the past Sarang nor the present Sarang could return his feelings.  

Jinhwan shook his head. “You’re wrong.”

The words that Hanbin heard once too many times from Sarang came from Jinhwan’s lips this time. “How could I be wrong? What other reason is there?”

“You don’t see it?” Jinhwan chuckled when Hanbin couldn’t even see the answer in front of him. “Anyway, that’s something you need to find out.” He needed Hanbin to realize this himself, it was the only way that would allow him to win Sarang’s heart once more.

***

Hanbin was walking into school along with Bobby and Jinhwan when his name was called out. “Hanbin!” He turned around and found Mino standing in front of him, with his own friends. Well, what a lovely face to see so early in the morning.

“What do you want?”

“Stay clear of Sarang, I’m taking time to warn you now.” Mino doesn't hesitate and quickly gets straight to the point. When he first met Hanbin, he didn’t think the boy would prove to be so troublesome. Usually, by now any boy would have given up knowing that Mino isn’t one to mess with, but Hanbin didn’t seem to care and continues to push forward.

Bobby chuckled nervously from the side. “Hey, there’s no need to be so confrontatio

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter