Chapter 29

Love Her and Keep Her
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Sarang’s eyes fluttered open as her vision struggled to focus itself. As it cleared up, Hanbin’s face slowly met hers. He was still sleeping peacefully and it finally gave her a chance to just gaze at him. It’s been a while since the last time she has seen him. He has changed in many different ways. His features showed how tired he was – like the bags underneath his eyes. And besides that, his personality seemed to have gone through a 180 degree change. He was putting in so much effort and Sarang knew he was.

Sarang gently gets up from bed so as to not wake Hanbin up. She got ready as quickly and quietly as possible and grabbed everything she needed before slipping out the front door.

She pulled out her phone and called her company. “Hi, it’s Sarang. I won’t be coming in today.” Without further explanation, she shuts it off and puts it into her bag.

Today was the day that she will finally come to a final decision. No point in dragging it on any longer.

***

Hanbin awoke to find the spot beside him empty. Instinctively, panic spread through his body. His eyes automatically scan his bedroom and he gets up to look in the living room. Seeing that the boxes and luggage are still where they were left last night, the sight comforted him a little. Sarang didn’t completely leave him again.

He goes back into the bedroom and grabs his cellphone. He calls Sarang’s number and puts it up to his ear only to be met with her voicemail. She didn’t have her car here so how was she getting around? Now he understood the frustration Sarang must have gone through when he failed to answer her calls.

“Sarang is really tiring you out, huh?”

Hanbin spun around at the voice. A voice he didn’t think he would hear anytime soon. “Jinhwan?” He was greeted by the boy’s smiling face.

“You’re so old now. Sarang aged better than you.” Jinhwan .

Hanbin chuckled in response. “Did you see Bobby? He got old and bitter.” Hanbin joked. “What are you doing here?”

“Waiting to see you finally have a happy ending.” Jinhwan looked around the home to see boxes around the area. “It looks like you’re still working on it.” Jinhwan decided to not tell Hanbin about his little visit to Sarang. He didn’t want Hanbin to think he was meddling.

Hanbin sighed. “Sarang has always been careful and that aspect of hers never changed.”

Jinhwan nodded in understanding. He witnessed it himself. “Well, I’m cheering you on.”

Hanbin gave the young boy a grateful smile. “Thanks, Jinhwan.”

The smile on Jinhwan’s face wavered. “Well, I can’t stay too long.” He tried his hardest to give Hanbin his famous bright smile. “This is goodbye, Hanbin. I don’t want to make this a depressing goodbye but I don’t think we will ever have a chance to see each other again.”

Hanbin smiled softly. He already knew. “Don’t cry on me now.” He tried to lighten the mood. “Thank you for everything, Jinhwan. You have no idea how much you’ve done for me.” He patted the boy’s head. “I hope you finish that bucket list of yours.”

Jinhwan took a deep breath and nodded his head. “I will and good luck. I’m sure your love will reach Sarang again like in the past.” He looked up at Hanbin. “Thank you and tell Bobby thank you for being kind to me while I was with you guys.”

Hanbin nodded. “Goodbye, Jinhwan.”

“Bye, Hanbin.” And like how he appeared, Jinhwan disappeared into thin air.

Hanbin stared at the empty spot where Jinhwan had stood and a smile appeared on his lips. Too bad he couldn’t spend more time with Jinhwan. He really liked him and Jinhwan has been nothing but helpful. “Until we meet again.” Hanbin mumbled to himself quietly.

Hanbin’s attention suddenly turns back to the task at hand. He has to make Jinhwan proud.

So, how is he going to find Sarang?

***

Hanbin called the company and they said she never came in. He also saw her car still in the parking lot belonging to the building. Hanbin racked his brains and went everywhere Sarang could have gone to. He went to bookstores, libraries, and her favorite snack shops, but there was no sight of her.

The longer it took Hanbin to find her and because she wasn’t picking up her phone, the more nervous he got.

Hanbin drove aimlessly down road after road, hoping to find a familiar figure of his wife but to no avail. He turned down a recognizable road and the woods came into view. He parked on the side of the road, realizing there was still one spot he hasn’t checked.

He rushed through the woods, images of Sarang standing at the end of the woods, in the clearing flashed through his mind. His heart raced faster as he got closer to the end. When he got out from the endless rows of trees, his head flipped left and right but to his disappointment, Sarang was nowhere to be seen.

He fell flat on the ground and stared out over the city. He refused to let such negative thoughts slip through his mind. But, it was getting hard to block them out. What if Sarang did leave him again? Everything she left at his place was replaceable. But, last night, she wanted to come home with him. So, her sudden disappearance left him in utter confusion.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter