Chapter 1

Love Her and Keep Her
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Hanbin.”

“Sarang.” He nodded back at the young woman.  

This was how their greetings were like. This tension filled and uncomfortable greeting that irked the both of them, yet they don’t do anything about it.

“Mr. Kim and Mrs. Kim – “

“Ms. Ahn.” Sarang quickly corrected the lawyer. “The divorce proceedings are nearly done.” The words didn’t come out as confident as she would like but the words couldn’t seem to leave her lips easily. After all, it was only last week that she was still calling him her husband.

“Right, my apologies Ms. Ahn.” The lawyer bowed. Hanbin hated it when she said something like that. Even though it was true, it irritated him to no end. It felt like the three year marriage between the two meant nothing to her. “Please come into my office.” The lawyer's words broke Hanbin from his antagonizing thoughts. Hanbin followed in after her and once seated beside the young woman, he couldn’t keep his eyes to himself. Sarang is still beautiful to him, even now.

“Mr. Kim.”

Hanbin snapped his head forward. “Yes?”

The lawyer smoothly slid the document across the desk. “Mrs – I mean, Ms. Ahn had stated over the phone with me that she wanted nothing from this divorce.”

Hanbin grabbed the paper to have a closer look and after reading it through, he felt even more confused. “What is this?” He mumbled under his breath. No matter how much he read it, the words didn’t make sense to him.

Nothing. She was taking nothing from him. Most people would be happy about keeping everything with them, but Hanbin felt the complete opposite.

“Mr. Kim, you can keep the house, the car, and all of your money.” The lawyer answered. “Ms. Ahn had already signed it as her agreement, it will be settled once we have your signature as well.” He handed Hanbin the pen.

Hanbin turned to Sarang, who had kept her attention forward this entire time. She didn’t want to stay longer than she had to.“If everything is done here, I have somewhere to be.” The lawyer nodded and receiving his permission, Sarang grabbed her bag. “Thank you.” She reached out to shake the lawyer’s hand and proceeded to leave the room while Hanbin remained struck dumb.

“Mr. Kim –“

Seeing how he couldn't let it end this way, Hanbin got up from his chair and rushed out the office. His eyes land on Sarang's retreating back as she continued walking down the hallway. WIthout a moment of hesitation, he hurried after her.

“Sarang.” He held her arm and pulled her around to see him. And the sight of the blank expression on her face bothered him. “What did the lawyer mean?”

“It was very clear. I don’t want anything.” She answered calmly. What was he doing being so close to her, she wasn’t ready to face him like this. It brought back unwanted feelings and being in close proximity to him made her notice how much she already missed him. The better of a reason to get out of here quickly.  

“I don’t understand, I thought we agreed to split everything in half.” He searched her eyes, trying to understand what she was thinking. It wouldn’t have been so hard before. Before, he knew everything about her but now, her actions only left him more confused.

But, it was a final decision made by her. She didn’t want anything from her almost ex-husband, it would only hold her back while she begins to make an effort to move on with her life. To move on past Hanbin. She wanted nothing more than to get over him. “I don’t want it. You can keep everything.” She answered straight-forwardly.

The frustration only grew within him with each word that left her lips. “There has to be something you want.” There it was again. This feeling like she wanted to get rid of her past with him, wanting to make it like it didn’t exist, when clearly it did. And it bothered him, he didn’t want her to throw it away so easily - not while he was trying hard to keep it precious.

Sarang didn’t know why Hanbin was trying so hard or why he was so adamant with splitting their assets. Hanbin was never able to give her what she wanted so why was he trying so hard now. She pulled away from his hold. “There’s nothing I want from you anymore.” And as much as it must have hurt Hanbin to hear that, it hurt her to say it also. But she couldn't hold back these words, they needed to be said,

A small scoff left Hanbin. “Right, because you already got what you wanted.”

“What is that supposed to mean?” Sarang clenched her hands. Those words may seem simple but why did it pinch her heart so painfully?

“You wanted the divorce and you got it.” Hanbin isn’t going to deny it. It hurt him. It hurt him when she placed the paper in front of him and asked him for the divorce. She didn’t once hint at it and everything came crashing down when those damn words came out .  

Sarang hated it when he spoke like that. Almost insinuating that she was the bad guy when he didn’t put up much of a fight either to save the marriage. He was the one that always felt like he was never understood when it was her that wasn’t listened to. She was hoping he would at least reject it but he didn’t. Truthfully, she got what she wanted quite easily. “Yes and you willingly signed it. So get over it.”

“Willingly?” He gave a short laugh. “What else was I supposed to do?” He stepped forward only causing Sarang to move backwards away from him. She couldn’t stand to be close to him but she didn’t know what that simple act did to him.

Hanbin watched as she backed away. Why was she in such a hurry to get away from him?

“You could have fought it.” Sarang answered, barely audible.

“I knew how badly you wanted it…and I gave it to you.”

Sarang smiled sadly at him. He

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter