I LOVE YOU TOO CHAPTER 53

I Love You Too

 

CHAPTER 53

 

Kris, Eunhyuk and Donghae reached back to Sungmin’s room in total silence. No one say anything and wants to say anything. They kept silence until the last moment.

 

“I’ll stay with Sungmin. Hae, please...” Donghae nodded, already understood what her husband is going to say by the expression on his face.

 

“It’s okay, Hyukkie.” She replied.

 

Eunhyuk averted his eyes away and walked straight into Sungmin’s room, leaving Donghae and Kris who is still confused with his action.

 

“Donghae...”

 

“Let’s have a drink at the cafe oppa. There will be not much people there at this time around.” She said, forcing herself a smile and walked in front.

 

Kris stared at her retreating figure and Sungmin’s room back forth. After a long thought, he slowly takes his step in following Donghae to the hospital’s cafe.

 

True as said, there are not many people there at the café when Kris and Donghae reached there. They both choose to take some caffeine and seated at the furthest place in the cafe. It was silence. There were lots of questions on Kris’s head, but he just didn’t know how to start it. So, he waits.

 

“I’m sorry if it shocks you, oppa.” Donghae finally speak, “It must be hard on you today.” She continued with a forced smile remained.

 

Kris shook his head, “Stop forcing yourself to smile, Donghae.” He told her.

 

Donghae’s expression fell by the true remark.

 

“Cry if you want. It’s okay.” He assured and Donghae’s eyes glassed almost immediately after he said it.

 

The pain that she’s been restraining from the past few hours has finally surge up, choking her heart. Donghae cried, feeling so helpless because she couldn’t do anything but that.

 

 

/////

 

 

Kangin left the hospital and went to the Sakura Café, being greeted by Taemin. He notices Leeteuk, sitting at one corner, looking outside the window. He takes a deep breath and approaches her. Leeteuk didn’t notice the other man’s presence. Her mind is engrossed worrying about Sungmin in the hospital.

 

“Teukie.” She slightly jumped by the greeting and is surprised that she didn’t notice Kangin in front of her, “Hey, how are you?”Kangin greeted, as casual as he could be.

 

Leeteuk blinked, “Hey.” She replied, “How’s Sungmin?”

 

“Still asleep. Also…Siwon came.”

 

“What? He did? Why?”

 

Kangin shrugged, “He said he’s worried but before he even get close, Uncle Hyuk already crushed him.”

 

“Ah. Hyuk appa didn’t…”

 

“No, Teukie, he didn’t kill him.” Kangin corrected and Leeteuk sighed in relief.

 

“That’s good. He will really do it if he determined to do so.”

 

“I know.” Kangin agreed.

 

Silence engulfed their conversation. Kangin slowly heaved out a sigh.

 

“Aunt Donghae talk of Sungmin’s past just now.” He said suddenly, “She said…Sungmin was …”

 

Leeteuk turned up looking at him.

 

 

/////

 

 

Kyuhyun on the other hand, let his feet brought him towards Ryeowook’s room. After a knock and a ‘come in’ from Yesung inside, Kyuhyun opens the door. Yesung and Ryeowook stares at him, didn’t expect for his visit.

 

“Kyuhyun.”

 

“Hey,” He greeted simply, “How’re you doing?”

 

“I’m fine.” Ryeowook answered, understood that the question referred to her.

 

Kyuhyun scratched his head, “Oh yeah, uncle Hyuk just punched Siwon.” he exclaimed.

 

Yesung and Ryeowook looked at each other, a bit surprise by the statement, “He came?” they asked.

 

Kyuhyun nodded, “Just a few rooms away from here. But Uncle Hyuk already forbids him from going near Sungmin’s room.” He added quickly.

 

“Yeah, I should have guessed that.” Said Yesung sneering.

 

He heard about what happened in the police’s room from Leeteuk. To say he’s shock by Eunhyuk’s action is understatement. He is grateful enough that Eunhyuk didn’t kill the other. He is capable of doing so.

 

“Then, why are you here, Kyuhyun?” Ryeowook asked.

 

Kyuhyun silently think. His mind is still hesitating but he needs to know. Slowly, he gazes up and looked straight into Ryeowook’s eyes.

 

“What happened?” three men, Kris, Kangin and Kyuhyun questioned a short and simple question in a different place, to a different people but with a sole purpose, SUNGMIN’S PAST. 

 

Leeteuk POV

 

“Did you remember, Kanginie? I once told you...the reason why I become a psychiatrist is because of Sungmin.” Leeteuk started and Kangin slowly nodded to the question.

 

“I was…ten at that time. I was the school perfect, so I was given a duty to take care of my junior student. I notice one thing from the beginning of the year. There’s a girl who’s either too early or really late in reaching school every day. And that girl was Sungmin. She’s six.” Leeteuk started, looking far outside the window.

 

She remembered the little Sungmin she once knew. Even though almost every time the girl is late, she is always prepared and willingly to be punished.

 

“Sungmin was a good student though. She always excels in school. The teachers all like her, even me. Then one day, my teacher asked me to bring something to little Sungmin. She said, Sungmin has been absent for three days and she is worried. She gave me her home address and I went there, together with her. We rang the bell few times but no one answered. When the teacher decides to go home, something pulls me to push the door. It opened, unexpectedly.”

 

“We went inside. What lies in front of us was little Sungmin...half alive...”

 

Kangin cringed.

 

“Her body was perspiring and burning hot. There are also traces of blood. And…and….she’s not even crying.” Leeteuk covered her face and cried, remembering the moment really affected her so much.

 

Kangin didn’t say interrupted her, “An ambulance came and took Sungmin. The doctor said, there are new and old scar on Sungmin. They were all from abuse.”

 

“Abuse? Who?”

 

“Her mother, Lee Minjung.” Kangin widened to hear it, disbelieved.

 

“Her mother hides it too well from everyone around her. And little Sungmin was too scare to disobey her. That’s why no one knew about it, not even the neighbor. Because of that, Sungmin suffers alone.” She takes a breath, “When the school heard about what happened, her mother and grandparents were called and lectured. I didn’t know what happened in the school court room, no one does. But for sure, that was the last time I ever see Sungmin again. She transferred away.”

 

Ryeowook POV

 

“My first meeting with Sungmin was not a memorable one. All I remembered was grandma comes home with a girl. And I don’t like it.” She laughed at herself.

 

Kyuhyun and Yesung silently listen to her story.

 

“Grandma said, she found Sungmin searching for a work and she was just 10 years old.  With that, she offered to work at the bakery together. Sungmin didn’t ask much salary but bread a day. Enough for her to eat she said. And our live continues. In just a month, Sungmin’s getting along so well with everyone around her. All grandma’s customers like her, except me.” her sullen face showed some regret.

 

“I was jealous of her I guess. Everyone likes her bubbly and positive energy. But, only I couldn’t accept it. I was afraid that Sungmin might take away the love that grandma had for me. I think Sungmin realized it when suddenly she suggested grandma to resign. Because of that, me and grandma had a huge argument.” She wipes her unseen tears.

 

“Sungmin blames herself and her sincerity anger me more. I run away from home, hoping to get away from the stress. But, foolish me, who didn’t realize a car while crossing the road, almost caught into an accident. Sungmin…saved me.”

 

Flashback

 

“Are you okay, Ryewookie? Are you hurt anywhere?!” Sungmin boomed her with questions while Ryeowook still blankly tried to accept everything that has just happened.

 

“Ryeowook?” Sungmin called again worriedly and Ryeowook finally wakes up from her trance.

 

“I’m…okay…” she replied hesitantly, still in shock.

 

Sungmin sighed relieved. She smiled and a tear of happiness fall.

 

“Thank goodness…” she said, “That’s so…great…” suddenly her body fall forward and went limb into darkness.

 

“Sungmin!”

 

Flashback end

 

“The accident almost cost her life. There’s even a scar on her forehead, a reminder for me. It changed our life since then. Grandma becomes even more protective of her and we built a sisterhood. We were always together and inseparable. When Hyukkie appa came into our circle, Sungmin was hesitant. She told me about her insecurity of hurting her father because of her status. And how she’s afraid that her past might come again.”

 

“She’s happy with Uncle Hyuk isn’t it?” Kyuhyun questioned.

 

Ryeowook nodded, “Very happy. Especially since the reconciliation of Hyuk appa and Hae umma. Sungmin finally got a complete family.” She smiled thinly after saying it.

 

Donghae’s POV

 

“We took Sungmin to live with us. Hyukkie enrolled Sungmin back to school and she blends in easily. She skipped a grade because of her geniuses. We also realized that Sungmin started wearing contact ever since then. When Hyuk argue about it, Sungmin said…she didn’t want people to ignore her again.”

 

Kris cringed, “Was she bullied at school before?” he assumed.

 

Donghae chuckled, “Kids oppa. We couldn’t stop them from ‘teasing’.” She rebutted.

 

“We were happy though.” Donghae claimed, smiling, “I feel so attached to Sungmin that I totally destroy the fact that she is not my daughter. Her sad smile makes me and Hyukkie want to protect her so much. But…” her voice flattened and she stopped.

 

Donghae takes a deep breath and let it out slowly. She arranged her words inside her mind and starts. She promised herself to forget about it. But, she knew, that moment will always be unforgettable for the rest of her life.

 

“It happened a year after Sungmin starts living with me and Hyukkie. It was her fifteen birthday. We celebrated it simply just with the family.”Donghae started.

 

“Then suddenly, she appeared.” Solemn surrounds Donghae’s expression.

 

“She?”

 

“Lee Minjung.” Kris tensed up.

 

Flashback

 

“Mama?” Sungmin ran towards Minjung’s side, very surprised to see her.

 

“Sungminie!” Minjung called happily and hugged the daughter, shocking the others including Sungmin.

 

“I miss you so much baby.” She planted a kiss on each of Sungmin’s cheeks, “Happy birthday.”

 

Sungmin’s body tensed but she tried to keep her face straight.

 

“What…what are you…”

 

“What the are you doing here, Minjung?” Eunhyuk suddenly blurted, controlling his voice from getting really angry.

 

Minjung eyeing him with a glare, irritated. She really didn’t like the way Eunhyuk spoke and welcoming her to the occasion.

 

“Who gave you the permission to enter my house, huh ? This place is not for someone like you.” Eunhyuk cursed.

 

Minjung’s head started to get boil with Eunhyuk’s words.

 

“Appa…”

 

“Go next to your umma, Sungmin.” Eunhyuk cuts her off, and pulled Sungmin away from Minjung.

 

Sungmin didn’t feel right but she obeyed just what Eunhyuk told her and moved closer to Donghae. Eunhyuk gave Minjung a glare and was about to leave when Minjung spoke again.

 

“I came to see my daughter.” Her voice stated sternly.

 

Eunhyuk stopped.

 

“Sungmin is still my daughter, Hyukjae.” She added.

 

Eunhyuk snapped. And that’s the end of his patience. He turned back to Minjung with a smirk. An angry and evil smirk.

 

“Heh, what did you just said?” he snorted, “Daughter? Hahaha…” Eunhyuk laughed out loud suddenly, giving a chill to every ear hearing.

 

“DON’T GIVE THAT , MINJUNG!” Eunhyuk yelled angrily.

 

All the people inside the room jumped by the sudden anger.

 

“SINCE WHEN DID YOU BECOME SUNGMIN’S MOTHER?! TELL ME! YOU ABANDONED HER!”

 

“Because you left me!” Minjung fight back, “If you didn’t…umph!” Minjung choked.

 

“Appa!”                       “Hyukkie!”

 

Sungmin and Dongahe cried in sync. The scene that happened was like a horror movie. In a split second, Eunhyuk pushed Minjung, hold her by the neck and strangled her.

 

“Urgh…”

 

“Appa, stop it!” Sungmin begged, holding Eunhyuk’s hand firmly for him to let go.

 

Eunhyuk groaned, totally ignore his daughter plea.

 

“How dare you speak to me like that, Minjung. I think you’re getting the wrong idea about me. You still haven’t seen how scary I could be. Do you want me to make you remember how you put those scars on Sungmin’s body? Or do you want me to do that to you instead?” He threatened while gritting his teeth, and unconsciously tightens the hold on Minjung, gagging her.

 

“Urgh...let go…” She wailed.

 

Minjung struggled from Eunhyuk’s hold. But, his woman’s strength is no match against Eunhyuk’s at all. She’s really frightened but, still keeps her stoic face to him.

 

“Appa, no! Stop! Please!” Sungmin cried, really afraid of her father hurting Minjung even more.

 

No matter what has she done to Sungmin, she is still Sungmin’s birthmother. Tears fast flowed from her eyes.

 

“Appa please! Let her go…” Sungmin pleaded sadly.

 

Eunhyuk heard the voice. But, his anger has really overwhelmed him. He didn’t know why but all he knew that moment was to just kill the woman in front of him. Minjung choked, and was almost losing out some air to breath.

 

“APPA!! Ah…” something snapped inside Sungmin after the scream.

 

Her hold on Eunhyuk’s hand loosened and she fall limb on the floor shocking every eyes there.

 

“SUNGMIN!”

 

Flashback end

 

“Sungmin fainted due to pressure and exhaustion. We were in terror to see that sudden condition. Hyukkie was worried the most. He blamed himself on that part. When Sungmin wakes up later, she begged for Hyukkie to never hurt her mother again. But, what has happened that day is actually the start of everything.”

 

“Why?”

 

Donghae looked upfront, meeting up with Kris’s eyes.

 

“Hyukkie hates her, oppa. He hates her so much. And that hatred hurts Sungmin too.” Tears glistening in her eyes, remembering.

 

“What did Eunhyuk do, Donghae?”

 

Donghae sniffed, “Hyukkie was really angry. It was the first time in my life where I saw Hyukkie burning in anger like that. He vented it out on us. Sungmin was really scared and she was trembling in my arms with every shout he gave. She tried to reason back to him to make him understand but Hyukkie was already blinded by the anger for the woman. He failed to see the love in Sungmin’s eyes. He failed to see the longing that Sungmin felt towards Minjung as her birthmother. And knowing Sungmin defended the mother, it makes him angrier.”

 

Flashback

 

“Appa please…it’s just a present.” Sungmin pleaded.

 

“No, Sungmin. I want you to throw it away right now.” He demanded.

 

“But appa…”

 

“I SAID NO SUNGMIN!” Eunhyuk shouted on top of his lung making everyone jumped by his voice.

 

“How many times must I repeat myself that I don’t want to hear, see or know anything about that ! I don’t want her present with you and that’s final! Why can’t you just obey me?!” he yelled furiously.

 

Sungmin’s body quivers badly by the anger.

 

“Have you forgotten everything she did to you? Did you already forget how she makes your life suffer? Did you?! Answer me!”

 

“N…no!”Sungmin shakes her head vigorously.

 

“Then why?!”

 

Sungmin once again jerked away by the yelling.

 

“Hyukkie stop it!” Donghae jumped into their argument before it gets worse.

 

“You stay out of this, Hae! This is not your problem!”

 

“What do you mean not my problem?!” Donghae retorted back, irritated with her husband attic, “Sungmin is my daughter too, Hyukkie! Her problem is mine also!”

 

“Donghae!”

 

“Appa no!”Sungmin fast defended in front of Donghae before Eunhyuk’s hand managed to slap his wife.

 

Sungmin was panting hard.

 

“Appa, no. Please, stop...I’m…I’m sorry. Please don’t get angry at umma.” She begs, and Donghae can feel Sungmin’s body shivered from crying.

 

“Then, obey me! Throw that gift away!” Eunhyuk was still stubborn with his decision.

 

“But, appa...just this once. I just…”

 

Sungmin pleads again.

 

“You still love that , Sungmin?” Eunhyuk cuts Sungmin angrily.

 

The girl froze.

 

“I really don’t get it how you still have some heart for someone ruthless like her.” Eunhyuk spat, “Do as you wish then. Go and live with her if you want it. I don’t care anymore. You just prove yourself that you’re the same like your mother.”

 

“Ah.”

 

“I regret of taking you back into my life.”

 

Eunhyuk walked away and slammed the door hard. Tears one by one flow from Sungmin’s eyes. What said by Eunhyuk absolutely burned her heart. Donghae who has been listening can only watched with pained expression. Slowly, Sungmin moved and took out her bag from her closet.

 

“Sungmin? What are you doing?” asked Donghae.

 

“I…I’ll leave, Hae-umma.” Sungmin shuttered, while packing some of her clothes into the bag.

 

“No!” Donghae stop her hands, “Don’t go, Sungmin. Your appa is just angry. He’ll get back to his sense later. Just give him time. I’m sure he didn’t mean what he said.”

 

“I know Hae-umma. But, it’s okay. If I stay here longer, appa will get angrier.”

 

“But…”

 

“I’ll be fine. I just go back to my old apartment for the meantime. I want to get something there too.” She lied.

 

“Sungmin…” Donghae called her name sadly.

 

She feels so helpless because she couldn’t even stop Sungmin from going away. She watched as Sungmin packed her clothes one by one until finished.

 

“Umma…thank you.” Sungmin whispered to her ear, and embraced Donghae slowly.

 

Donghae also hugged her back, with tears already swelling in her eyes.

 

“I’ll be fine, don’t worry.” She assured, faking a smile, “If I stay here, all I give appa is pain…and anger. I resembled umma, remember?”

 

A flood of emotions washed over Donghae. She really feels hurt with Sungmin’s pain which is the truth. She nodded hesitantly.

 

“I love you and appa so much, umma.” Sungmin said sincerely.

 

Flashback end

 

“Sungmin left the house afterwards. Hyukkie saw her leaving but he didn’t do anything. He also feels hurt, I know. But, his ego was quite high at that time. And yet…” Donghae’s gaze lowered slowly, “Little did we know, the words of confession to me were actually the last time I heard of her, before that incident happen.”

 

Leeteuk POV

 

“Aunt Hae called and told me about what happened. Together with her, we went to Sungmin’s old apartment. But, Sungmin was not there. The apartment was locked and empty.”Leeteuk explained.

 

“She runs away?” Kangin guessed.

 

Leeteuk chuckled bitterly, “I doubt that.” She remarked.

 

Kangin frowned, so did Tiffany and Taemin. They have closed the cafe early and decided to join Leeteuk and Kangin in the story telling of the past.

 

“We asked people around the neighborhood, in case they have seen her somewhere. And, a neighbor told us that she saw Sungmin few days before. She went with a very beautiful lady, she said.” Leeteuk continued.

 

“We figured that maybe Ryeowook has come back and she went with her. Wanting to give her some space and time, we went home. We thought that it’s better that way. But, few days later, it was Ryeowook who called us. She’s asking about Sungmin’s whereabouts. She said, she didn’t get any news from Sungmin since her birthday. That’s when we started getting worried.”Leeteuk’s gaze saddened.

 

Yesung POV

 

“My family and I were on a holiday. 5 days trip on a cruise.” Yesung started his POV, “My mother, Heechul met Sungmin for the first time on the deck. Sungmin helped her picking up her hat. She showed me the girl that she took interest to. And on the second time, was when we’re having breakfast. She was with a group of people. Lee Minjung was together with her.”

 

“People? Who are they?” Kyuhyun questioned out his curiosity.

 

“None of us recognized them. But, we realized that they are someone important judging from the number of bodyguards surrounds.”

 

Kyuhyun frowned.

 

“My mother greeted her and we talked a bit before she hastily left following a boy from the crowd. My mother likes her, so she anticipates in meeting her again. And yet, we stopped seeing her after that. Not until the last day of the trip, in the worst condition ever.” A deep frown formed on Yesung’s face.

 

“What condition?”

 

Yesung silently gazes at Ryeowook. He can see the tears b in her eyes. It hurts her as much as it hurts him too. He caressed Ryeowook’s cheek gently, silently encouraging her. He then, takes a deep breath to continue the story.

 

“We found her, on one of the emergency boat, wrapped only with a blanket.”

 

Kyuhyun could almost feel his heart jumping hard by the nervousness.

 

“She was shot.”

 

“Ah!” he cringed, unconsciously his knuckles angrily.

 

Donghae POV

 

“Hyukkie got a call on the fifth day. It’s from the hospital. ‘Miss Lee Sungmin is in critical state. She has been shot’. The doctor said.” Donghae holds her hands to each other.

 

Kris listened in a nerve-racking mind. He could almost picture the moment when it happened though he was not there. It was almost the same as what is happening to them now.

 

Donghae continued with her story, “We rushed to the hospital. Me, Hyukkie and Ryeowook. Leeteuk arrived there later than us. And our heart breaks seeing Sungmin’s condition.”

 

A drop of her tears fall.

 

Leeteuk POV

 

“There are indescribable bruises all over Sungmin’s body. She lost too much blood. It almost kills her as Sungmin’s blood type is A- which was hard to obtain. But, what we found from the doctor was crueler.” Leeteuk closes her eyes.

 

Kangin’s hands intertwine with her, supporting her in silence. Tiffany and Taemin who has been listening also feel stuffed by what they are about to hear.

 

“She was gang. Repeatedly.”

 

Every ear listening almost passes out listening to the revelation. They immediately turned silent.

 

Ryeowook POV

 

“Sungmin was unconscious for 3 days. Medication seems to work because her wound started healing. She opened her eyes on the 3rd day. Me and Hyuk appa were there.”Ryeowook explained.

 

Flashback

 

“Em…em…” a light groan instantly wakes Ryeowook who’s sleeping on the chair beside Sungmin’s bed.

 

“Uncle! Sungmin’s waking up!” She called.

 

Hyukjae startled from his rest, “Really?” she rushed to the side.

 

The two of them anxiously await as Sungmin’s eyes slowly flutter open. She blinked, once and twice, adjusting to the light. She sees Eunhyuk and Ryeowook and they couldn’t get happier than that.

 

“Min…Minnie…” Ryeowook chants, with tears spilling, “I’m so glad.” She hugged Sungmin thankfully.

 

She sensed how Sungmin’s body tense by her touch. But overwhelms by the happiness, she hushes the negativity away.

 

“I’m happy…”

 

Her words were cut off when suddenly Sungmin pushed her harsh.

 

“Wookie!” Eunhyuk caught her. 

 

Both were wildered by the reaction. They looked at Sungmin in horror. Sungmin had her hands covered her ears. Her body was trembling, had. She was already curled up into a ball.

 

“No…” Sungmin whispered almost inaudibly.

 

“Sungmin...” Ryeowook approached her but just as her hand about to touch her, she pushed it away.

 

Ryeowook’s heart obviously scatters by the rejection.

 

“Sungmin, it’s appa…”

 

“No!!!” Sungmin screamed.

 

And the nightmare starts.

 

Flashback end

 

 

/////

 

 

Present day, inside Sungmin’s room, Eunhyuk is looking at her daughter.

 

“Sungmin…” He called softly.

 

His hand caressed Sungmin’s head and brushed away strands of hair from her forehead. She was still panting and it hurts him. To see Sungmin in that condition was the same as the past that they tried to forget the most.

 

“Please be safe. Appa is sorry…” he apologized, for no specific reason.

 

He was really angry with the fact that the same thing happened again. Even under his power, he still couldn’t protect his daughter from being ravage. What’s worse, that someone was actually someone that Sungmin gave her heart to. He never thought that could happen. He thought that Siwon could understand her situation but instead he chooses to trust on Minjung, his ex-wife.

 

Lee Minjung, that . He cursed inside, holding his fist in fire.

 

 

/////

 

 

“Then, how did you handle everything? How’s noona after that?”

 

“She had nightmares, frequently. She didn’t recognize any of us, not even your appa even though she’s calling for her. She cried and screamed almost every day. The doctor said it was because of her trauma. She’s just a child, Kris oppa. A fifteen years old girl. It affected her more than we could understand.” Donghae said sadly.

 

Kris and Sungjin lowered their head, feeling the pain.

 

“Then…” Sungjin trailed, “What heal her?” he asked.

 

Donghae looks at her son. She takes another deep breath.

 

“A month passed. A month after the incident, Sungmin had a terrible high fever. We were already at home at that time. We were all worried, and the doctor only kept telling us to be patient. She was asleep for another 3 days. On the next day…a miracle happened.” Donghae smiled unexpectedly, “She smiled. To you Sungjin.”

 

“Hah? Me?” Sungjin pointed to himself, puzzled.

 

Kris also looked at him, didn’t understand what Donghae is saying.

 

“I vividly remember that morning.” She said, “Your sister went missing from her room, again. Unexpectedly, we found her in your room. She was holding your small hand, looking so calm and happy. It was like none of the nightmares ever happen before. She changed drastically in that one day.”

 

She chuckles, “She even gave you a nickname.”

 

“Jinnie?” Sungjin guessed.

 

“No.” Donghae shakes her head, “It’s Kyung.”

 

“Hah?” the two listeners were once more confused.

 

“Kyung? Where does it come from?” Kris asked.

 

Donghae shrugged, “We’re not sure. But, she did call Sungjin with that name. For more than 3 months. She slowly started to recover after that. She still hides behind Ryeowook though. For sure, Sungmin didn’t say anything about what actually happen to her. It remained a mystery to us.”

 

 

/////

 

 

Kyuhyun was in his room, his mind still occupied with Sungmin’s past. Hearing the story from Ryeowook and Yesung proved to how painful it was to the girl. At first, he refused to believe that it happened. Then, when he remembered a time where he himself witnesses it, he understood. It did happen. His heartbreak and love are nothing could be compare to what Sungmin had to go through before. What’s more now, the past has repeated itself again.

 

Flashback

 

Yesung bring Kyuhyun away from Ryeowook’s room after that. He wants to give his wife some rest. The story telling has already drained so much energy and emotion of theirs. At one restaurant, he continued his story.

 

“Sungmin wakes up into having nightmares. She didn’t recognize anyone around her. She screamed whenever we approached her. She…even hurts herself. It pained us, to see her calling for help but we couldn’t do anything.”

 

“Why?”

 

“Because it will hurts her even more, Kyuhyun.” Yesung coldly said, “When we touch her, she would struggle to break free. She cried saying there were hands holding her. ‘It hurts’ she screamed. And the scars that we thought already healed, suddenly re-appeared again.”

 

Kyuhyun winced at the thought of Sungmin’s scars that he once saw. His fist unconsciously tightened.

 

“We tried to wake her, many times, but her eyes remained darkened by the illusions that only she sees.”

 

“What did you do then?”

 

Yesung shakes his head, “We leave it to the doctor.”

 

“And the rapists?” Kyuhyun continue interrogating.

 

Yesung didn’t immediately answer. He sighed.

 

“We reported to the police of everything that happened. At first it went smooth but in the middle, suddenly the police said no witness is available to prove anything. So, they had to stop the investigation.”

 

“What?”

 

“Hyuk Appa went around here and there searching for a truth. Yet, almost…no every time we were close, something will come on the way and destroyed the evidence.”

 

Kyuhyun frowned, “Someone behind everything?” he prelude.

 

“Yes. And that someone is powerful than us that he could bribe everyone to sway the investigation. Hyuk Appa was stuck. We become completely helpless. My father tried to help. But, because at that time, we also weren’t that strong, our help wasn’t enough. The investigation leads to nowhere.” Yesung added.

 

“No suspects were caught?”

 

Yesung nodded and Kyuhyun scowled in dissatisfaction by the story. It disgusted him to know that Sungmin has to go through all the pain and the ‘predators’ were set free. 

 

“Then, all of you didn’t do anything?”

 

“More to we couldn’t, Kyuhyun.” Yesung corrected Kyuhyun’s accusation.

 

Kyuhyun averted his eyes from Yesung’s stare. He knew he’s being ridiculous by saying that. He’s just frustrated that no one backing up Sungmin.

 

“Our top priority was Sungmin. So, all we thought was treating her. After a month staying at the hospital, slowly though difficult we brought Sungmin home to the Lee residence.” Yesung continued, “Furthermore, Hae umma was pregnant of Sungjin at that time. We didn’t want to give the family more pressure than it has already been. Sungmin’s hysteric lessen a little too, compare to the previous time. Starting from there, Hyuk Appa decided to focus only on Sungmin, keeping his pride inside from looking into the crime further. It was for the family’s best, he said.” He looked at Kyuhyun and realized the tense face on him.

 

“So you know we are not ignoring the fact that they hurt Sungmin, Kyuhyun.” He exclaimed, “Me and the family are only protecting what is left from Sungmin and us. Sungmin’s smile.”

 

Their conversation turned silence after that. Kyuhyun also looked a little ease than before Yesung start story telling. He seems to understand now.

 

“So…the story of nightmare in Sungmin’s speech…during your wedding, is refer to this?”

 

Yesung slowly nodded.

 

The sullen expression on Kyuhyun’s face deepened. What he heard of the day is beyond his wildness imagination ever. Someone as cheerful as Sungmin, he never thinks for it to be a painful past behind it. He finally understood the reason why the family is so overprotective of Sungmin. She’s been in so many hurdles to become what she is now. The family…has gone through a lot to arrive where they are now. A small sigh escaped from Kyuhyun.

 

“Thank you for willing to share this story, hyung.” He thanked, “I know it must be very painful for you to do so. I’m sorry.”

 

Yesung just hummed as a reply. The atmosphere turns dull and silent. Both contemplating with own minds and drinks their water.

 

“Alright then, I think I should leave.” Kyuhyun speaks up after some time.

 

He bowed courtesy and stands up.

 

“Aren’t you curious, Kyuhyun?” suddenly Yesung blurted, stopping Kyuhyun from leaving.

 

He turned back.

 

“I spoke of a boy in my story. A boy in which Sungmin followed when we were on the cruise. Aren’t you curious to whom he is?”

 

Kyuhyun didn’t understand. But, he recalled the part. 

 

“What are you implying, hyung?”

 

Yesung looked up and meet up with Kyuhyun’s eyes.

 

“The boy is Lee Minhyuk.”

 

“What?” he was startled, for sure.

 

Flashback end

 

 

/////

 

 

Minhyuk is waiting outside Sungmin’s room. Impatient as he is, he still waits. Even though his heart demands to barge inside, he couldn’t. There are two bulky bodyguards guarding Sungmin’s room. He knew that Eunhyuk must have hired them to protect his daughter. And to know that Eunhyuk is inside, he’s willing to wait for hours if possible. He is even willing to beg as long as Eunhyuk lets him see Sungmin again. The door opened and he dashed towards Eunhyuk.

 

“Uncle Hyuk!” he called but was stopped immediately by the bodyguards before anything.

 

“Minhyuk? He’s fine.” Eunhyuk ordered his men to whom they obeyed, “What are you doing here?”

 

“Uncle, how’s Sungmin? She’s okay, right? I want to see her. Please let me meet her.” he begged.

 

“No, Minhyuk.”

 

Minhyuk’s face instantly fell by the rejection.

 

“I don’t want anyone near my daughter now. She has been through enough.”

 

“But, I’m not just anyone, uncle!” he talked back, “You can punish me after this, I don’t care. Just let me see Sungmin. Even just for a moment, it’s alright. You know I will never do anything to her. Trust me. I swear.” He begged and swore on his knees, “Please…”

 

Eunhyuk watched the latter coldly. He could almost feel the pain he felt. True, Minhyuk is not just anyone. He is someone important for his daughter and someone that he trusted. Slowly, his heart softened.

 

Eunhyuk sighed and averted his eyes away uncomfortably, “5 minutes.” He concluded.

 

Minhyuk beamed and nodded happily. He walked passed him, opened the door and quickly went inside as to not waste any more minute. He’s really happy to get that chance. But, his smile vanished as soon as he sees Sungmin. The girl is on the bed and asleep. His steps feel so heavy, as he walked towards her. It shattered his heart to see such a weak Sungmin lying lifelessly there. He sits slowly on the chair beside the bed. Unconsciously, he gritted in anger seeing some cuts and bruises on Sungmin’s face. He traced Sungmin’s hair from the top till her face, and it gently.

 

He takes Sungmin’s hands into his. Cold. Sungmin’s hand feels so cold unlike the usual warmth he feels. Sungmin’s breathing was slow and yet, it’s enough as a sign of her been living. His hold on Sungmin’s hand tightened. He brought her hands closer.

 

Touching his forehead, “This should not happen.” He said and a tear dropped, “You should not be here. I’m sorry little Min. I’m sorry I failed to protect you. I’m sorry…”

 

He blamed himself in hoping that Sungmin will wake up and blames him. Still, Sungmin remained lifeless and the silence breaks him even more. He cried. He lets the tears fall and savor the moment where he and Sungmin alone.

 

“I love you, little Min. I have always loved you. And I will never stop loving you.” He professed, “So, please. Get heals again. I will be here, for you.” He prayed wholeheartedly and planted a gentle kiss. 

 

Minhyukie

 

He recalled Sungmin’s voice calling for his name, happy. His tears have stopped apparently. Continue staring at Sungmin, slowly he closed his eyes and savored the moment of silence with Sungmin’s hand still in his. After a few moments, his eyes opened again but this time, it’s dark. 

 

 

TBC