I LOVE YOU TOO CHAPTER 49

I Love You Too


 

CHAPTER 49 - COME CLEAN

 

Sungmin wakes up with a terrible headache that morning. She cried again after recalling what happened the other night. The insult. The ignorance of Siwon. Her father’s anger. And her break up. Everything that she kept in all those weeks accumulated and consumes her, breaking her heart, again.

 

“Umma…umma…I’m sorry…” she sobbed.

 

“Appa is angry because of me, I’m sorry. I’m sorry…” she apologized again and again breaking Donghae’s heart seeing it.

 

Donghae didn’t say anything but to embrace her firmly. She knew nothing she said that moment will going to change how Sungmin feels inside. Her husband has left early that morning, maybe still angry at her for lying. There’s really not much she can do now except let the time heal everything. She stayed by Sungmin’s side and comforts her as much as she could.

 

 

/////

 

 

“Bring her here!” Heechul ordered.

 

“Wait, what do you mean bring her there? Why should I…”

 

“WAIT?!”

 

The phone detached away from Eunhyuk’s ear instantly by the loud scream.

 

“How dare you ask me to wait, Lee Hyukjae!” she shrieked hysterically, “Our baby girl is heartbroken and you told me to wait?! Did you know how breaking it is for a girl’s feelings to be dumped like that?! He’s her first lover! Don’t you see how it hurts our baby girl?! And you still ask me to wait?! How dare you!!” she vented out.

 

“Argh! Calm down can you?!” Eunhyuk yelled back, “I understand what you’re trying to say. It just…”

 

“I don’t care! I want her here! I WANT HER NOW!” she protested immediately.

 

Heechul panted from all the shouting. Eunhyuk groaned and sighed heavily. He leans his back more onto the cozy chair.

 

“Will you just calm down and give me time to think, Heechul?” he asked, “I know you are worry and angry but I am too, in fact I am fuming now. But, running away will not going to solve anything, you knew that. Sungmin is okay now, thankfully. So, you don’t have to worry much anymore.” He explained long.

 

Heechul snorted at his calm composure.

 

“How can you be sure she’s okay if you just said it yourself you vent your anger at her last night. What if she wakes up and cries again?” Heechul retorted and mocking Eunhyuk.

 

“I know I did wrong, Heechul. But, I can assure you that she’s okay. I’ve talk to Leeteuk. And the maids too. They said Sungmin is with Donghae now. She’s there to calm her, so don’t worry.” Eunhyuk explained more.

 

Heechul listened but truthfully, she’s still angry. Eunhyuk heard a huff from the other line.

 

“Just let me settle everything here, first. I’ll send her to you myself, if you insist.” He promised.

 

After another growl from Heechul, “Make sure of it.” She warned him for the last time before the call ended just like that.

 

Eunhyuk gawked at the first few moments from his in-law’s action. He sighed again and throws the phone on the table. He regretted a bit by the decision of telling Heechul about Sungmin’s problem. Well, he knew she’s going to make uproar so it is the same whether he told her sooner or later.

 

FLASHBACK

 

“I’m sorry for lying, Uncle Hyuk.” Leeteuk apologized after Eunhyuk’s scolding ended, “I know I have disappointed your trust on me.”

 

Eunhyuk sighed.

 

“So, the reason why you come back last week is because of this?” he asked.

 

Leeteuk hummed approvingly.

 

“And I found out about it sooo later than anyone else.” he mocked and once again silenced the other line.

 

“I’m sorry, uncle Hyuk.” Leeteuk apologized again.

 

“I’m not angry at you Jungsoo, not anymore I think.” He said after some silence, “But, I am disappointed. How could all of you lie to me about this matter? It makes me think that I was not at all important to Sungmin.”

 

“No, it’s not like that.” Leeteuk fast rebutted, “You know you meant everything to Sungmin uncle Hyuk. She just…feels insecure about everything that’s all. And she’s mostly afraid of your wrath.” She added the last statement like a whisper.

 

“What did she tell you actually, Jungsoo?” Eunhyuk questioned.

 

Leeteuk silenced in thought, “Sungmin confessed everything about what has happened. Actually I put her on hypnotize to seek the truth.” She admitted.

 

“And? What did you find?”

 

“On the day of Siwon breaking up with her, his mother and a woman claimed to be Siwon’s fiancée come to see her. Just like what you said happened at the occasion, the same thing happened to her at that time. They said hurtful things to her and many other things, including Sungmin’s background.”

 

Eunhyuk frown harder, “Sungmin’s background? Who would dare telling them that? And how did they know?”

 

“I don’t know. But I’m sure someone did. That someone poisoned the other’s mind and Siwon’s mind with the same thing.” Leeteuk expressed her opinion.

 

“That someone couldn’t be that right?” he guessed, already his fist in anger by the thought.

 

Leeteuk unconsciously gulped by the tone used. She knew who is the person Eunhyuk referred to judging from of the anger only.

 

“I’m not sure, uncle. But, what I can tell from Sungmin’s story, she did involve in Siwon’s company. Maybe, they have interacted with her or something.” Leeteuk explained carefully.

 

“Damn!” Eunhyuk cursed, banging his hand onto the table.

 

Leeteuk jumped from the other line.

 

“If only Sungmin let me, I’ll shot that to death.” He determined.

 

“Uncle Hyuk no.” Leeteuk reprimanded him, “Please don’t do anything stupid. You knew exactly why Sungmin prevented you from doing anything.”

 

Eunhyuk growls in dissatisfaction, “All of you are just too soft-hearted.” He remarked.

 

Leeteuk smiled thinly by the remark.

 

“But, aren’t you glad that Sungmin and Siwon break up, uncle?” she added.

 

“Eh?” Eunhyuk tensed by Leeteuk’s sudden question.

 

“Your bad feelings about Siwon previously turned out to be true after all.” his heart relaxed again after she continued, “Perhaps it is not a good thing that Sungmin is heartbroken now but isn’t it better now than later. Maybe Siwon is not destined for Sungmin or maybe fate has already written something better for her. No matter what, I think all we can do now is to just stay by Sungmin’s side and supporting her, uncle. She’s been restraining herself a lot after what happened, especially from you. So, she will need all the strength she could get.” Leeteuk expressed her opinion.

 

“Sungmin might close her heart again but I think we all know how Sungmin is honestly, right?”

 

Eunhyuk hummed, “Yeah, you’re right.” He agreed.

 

FLASHBACK END

 

Eunhyuk didn’t easily admit it but he is the most glad that Siwon and Sungmin break up. He likes the man for his daughter but he got mixed-feelings about him since from the very beginning. He didn’t say anything before because he cared for Sungmin and he saw how happy Sungmin is whenever they are together. But now, recalling Sungmin’s crying state, he can do nothing but sigh. It will be difficult but just like what Leeteuk said, he and the family will stay by her side, forever.

 

That same afternoon, he goes back home with heavy heart. He’s been feeling guilty since morning from the cold shoulder he gave his wife. He felt the utmost guilty when he opened the door to his room and sees Donghae spacing out near the window. Cold air blows from outside, swinging Donghae’s hair beautifully. Eunhyuk takes a deep breath and calms himself down. Walking slowly towards her, he determined he’ll resolve everything.

 

“I’m sorry, Hae.” he back-hugged his wife gently.

 

Donghae jumped a little by the sudden presence. But, she calms down right away, recognizing her spouse.

 

“I’m sorry for raising my voice for you. I’m sorry for hurting your feelings. I’m sorry for not being a good husband.” Eunhyuk continued, explaining a reason for each of his apology.

 

Donghae smiles in his embrace and just listen to her husband’s rambling. She relaxed in the embrace that she missed so much.

 

“I miss you…” Eunhyuk ended with a confession, hot whispering into Donghae’s ear.

 

He hugged Donghae tighter. He really did miss his wife. It was the first time ever that they fought since the last time, which is many years ago. So, he really regret with whatever he said and did to her. He is angry but more than that, he doesn’t want to lose anyone that she loved. Not anymore.

 

Donghae shifted and face to face with him. She holds both Eunhyuk’s cheeks in her hands and smiled.

 

“I love you so much, my Hyukkie.” She professed and that is all they need.

 

Their distance gets closer and they sealed it with a kiss. No other gestures can describe how they feel now. They smiled to each other happily.

 

“Now, let’s go and console our baby girl. She needs you.” she said and Eunhyuk agreed completely.

 

 

////

 

 

Two days passed in a blink of eyes. In those two days, Sungmin mostly stayed at home with her family. She also, didn’t leave his parents’ side. Sort of becoming like a child again, Sungmin stuck to them everywhere. After Sungmin’s holiday ended, she goes to the office. But, she comes together with a letter this time. A letter of resignation. Her president, Kangin was sure shocked to receive it. And yet, looking from the sad eyes in Sungmin’s, he accepted it.

 

“I’m sorry Mr Kim.” Sungmin apologized with head hangs low, “I know it is very sudden. But, I will have to resign starting today. My appa…ordered me to stop working…” she said the words softly.

 

“But, I will compensate you everything, don’t worry.” She quickly added.

 

Kangin was still silent. He looked at her and the letter on the table back-forth. Actually, he already expected for her to resign. Eunhyuk called him that same morning to remind him to fire Sungmin if she still insists of working. Eunhyuk also had explained everything that happened and the reason behind it. He heaves out a sigh.

 

“It’s okay, Sungmin.” he exclaimed.

 

Sungmin turned her head up looking at him.

 

“Okay?”

 

“Yes, okay. I can’t force you to continue working right? You don’t have to explain anything too. Your appa has done it on your behalf.”

 

“Appa did?” Sungmin repeated.

 

Kangin nodded.

 

“But, are you sure you’re fine now? Does it still hurt? You can tell me anything if you want, you know?” he asked worriedly.

 

Sungmin gives him a smile and nodded affirmatively.

 

“I know. Thank you. But I am okay now.” she assured him.

 

“Really?”

 

Sungmin nodded again.

 

“There’s a lot things happened but I think I can manage now. Well, it doesn’t hurt much compare to the first time. For sure, appa is with me.” Sungmin explained, giving him the best smile she could.

 

Kangin smiles back at her and patted her head lovingly. It is for everyone’s good. He reminded himself inside.

 

“But, seriously, I want you to stop acting on your own.” Kangin nagged, “Tell us if it hurts. Don’t ever keep it to yourself, okay?”

 

Sungmin pouted, “I know I did wrong, sorry…” she mumbled to herself.

 

“We care about you, Sungminie. That’s why we don’t want you to hurt yourself.”

 

“Please oppa, don’t start nagging again. I already got enough scolding from appa and Jinnie.”

 

“Jinnie? Sungjin comes back?”

 

Sungmin shook her head, “Appa fly me and umma there. We just come back yesterday night, honestly.” She explained.

 

Kangin chuckled, “Yeah. I should have guessed that what’s your appa will do.”

 

Tok tok tok

 

“Come in.” Kangin ordered after the knock from outside.

 

The door opened and Junsu appeared. He greets him first and noticed Sungmin is there. His expression looked shock upon seeing her.

 

“Hey, oppa.” Sungmin greeted him.

 

“Oppa? Why…you’re not working?” He repeated and changed the question in puzzled from the informality.

 

Sungmin grinned at him.

 

“She comes to give me this.” Kangin answered him, waving the white envelope few times.

 

Realization dawned upon Junsu. Without any explanation, he understood the best what’s the meaning behind the white envelope.

 

“You’re resigning?”

 

Sungmin replies him with a smile, “Sorry, oppa.” She said, clapping her hands into an apology.

 

Junsu walk closer towards them.

 

“Is this about what happen at the CEO event in the last few days?” he asked.

 

“Eh? You know about it oppa?” she asked back.

 

“I’ve heard about it from Jaehyun.”

 

Sungmin finally realized, “Ah…Yunho oppa’s assistant. He must have seen everything. I’m almost forgetting that he’s there.” She responded, scratching the back of her neck awkwardly.

 

“Everyone has seen everything, Sungmin.” Kangin and Junsu repeated at the same time but with different tone.

 

“Hehehe…I hope it wasn’t that bad.” Sungmin chuckles her embarrassment away.

 

Junsu sighed, “He said that it was his first time seeing your father so angry. No one even dare to say anything when it happened. The Chois didn’t hurt you right?”

 

“They didn’t have the chance, oppa. Appa quickly dragged me away from there.” She explained.

 

“Uncle Hyuk said Mrs Choi insulted you, is that right?” Kangin enters into their conversation.

 

Sungmin averted her eyes away from the men. She is not really in the mood to remember again what has happened. Reading the silence as a sign, Kangin decided that it is best to just stop the topic there.

 

“You can tell me again whenever you are ready.” He comforted her with a gentle pat on her head.

 

Sungmin’s head turned meeting eyes with Junsu and Kangin. A smile formed on Sungmin happily. She really loves the oppas the most. They are the most understandable people for her whether it is about work or personal problem. So, she’s really grateful in knowing them in her life.

 

After that, Sungmin bid a due to everyone at the office that day. Every worker is sure astonished by the sudden resignation but, they still accept it. She apologized and thanked them for everything they did while she worked there before. Kyuhyun on the other hand, glad that Sungmin took the decision. He knew that if Sungmin continued to work, the chance of her meeting with Siwon is high and he’s sure that is not what the girl wants.

 

“What are you going to do now? Working at your appa’s company?” Kyuhyun asked.

 

Sungmin shook her head, denying.

 

“I’ll focus on my café, I think. Appa said he still could manage everything on his own now. He didn’t want me to get involve much with the office word for the mean time. But, we didn’t know later, right? I will help him no matter what still.” Replied Sungmin to him.

 

Kyuhyun hummed approvingly.

 

“How about you, Kyu?” suddenly the question went back to him.

 

“Me? What about me?”

 

Sungmin giggled at his reaction.

 

“What are you doing here? Aren’t you supposed to be working at this hour?”

 

Kyuhyun’s hand stopped eating his spaghetti by Sungmin’s remark. He grinned awkwardly after being caught red-handed by Sungmin like that.

 

“Well?” Sungmin smirked at him teasingly.

 

“I’m having a break, Lee Sungmin.” he lied, “I didn’t have my lunch, remember?”

 

Sungmin only laughed at his replies. It is obvious that Kyuhyun is lying to her. It is already past lunch time since an hour ago, so, it would be unreasonable for him to still having a lunch break. Especially since Kyuhyun ordered spaghetti, something that she rarely served at her café. But, Sungmin didn’t pierce into the matter further. There’s no use arguing to someone who actually owns a huge share in his own company. He has every right to come and goes out whenever he wants.

 

She smiled at the man before focusing back onto her drawing. It has once more becomes her habit after the break from work and relationship. She used to draw all the time back in the days. Because of work, she rarely draws and whenever she did, it only specified to her cake designs only. But now, since she had so much free time, she decided to refresh back her forte. 

 

Kyuhyun on the other hand, already contented enough to get the chance in meeting Sungmin. Sometimes he takes a peek at Sungmin’s focus expression while eating. He purposely gets out from work to pay a watch on Sungmin. Didn’t feel bit remorse of leaving his work unattended, he smiled slyly looking at Sungmin. He knew some people already criticized him much about his action of getting close to Sungmin but he didn’t really care about it. Not anymore.

 

Just as they are enjoying their time alone, Sungmin’s phone unexpectedly rings. Sungmin picked it up and realized it’s a video call.

 

“It’s Sunny.” She told Kyuhyun and accepted the call, “Sunny.”

 

“Sungminie!” Sunny’s face appeared on the screen with few people behind her.

 

“Hi!!!” the people greeted.

 

Sungmin smiled and waved at them happily.

 

“Alright guys, let me speak to Sungminie first.” Sunny took the lead and calmed down the excitement, “Sungminie, you’re free tonight?”

 

“Eh, tonight?” Sungmin hummed, “Probably, why?”

 

“LET’S MEET!!” they all screamed excitedly.

 

Sungmin no longer suppress her laughter seeing it.

 

“The president has booked the restaurant and everything for tonight. There’s even a Karaoke room. So, let’s sing to our heart content. He said it’s a party especially for you.” Explained Sunny again, “You just need to come tonight, okay?”

 

Sungmin nodded, “I will try. Just text me the address of the restaurant and I’ll meet you there.”

 

“No need.” Sunny quickly reply, “Kyuhyun will send you here.”

 

Hearing his name being spoken, Kyuhyun out of sudden choked the food he’s eating and coughed badly.

 

“Kyu!” Sungmin stands up panicky, and rubbed his back.

 

After the pain subsides, he snatched the phone away from Sungmin’s hand. He sees Sunny and the other co-workers laughed from the other line.

 

“HOW DID YOU KNOW I’M HERE?!” he ticked off at them.

 

“Of course we know, Mr Cho Kyuhyun. You are not that difficult to predict.” She responded sarcastically.

 

Kyuhyun’s face instantly turned red. He is holding out his anger.

 

“Ah, Mr Cho Kyuhyun there’s a message for you. Mr President said that it’s better for you to come back now. He has left many things for you to check and he wants it urgent.”

 

“But, I already told him that I…”

 

“He also said to stop giving excuses!” Sunny cuts him.

 

“You!”

 

“Don’t forget to bring Sungmin to the restaurant, Mr Cho. We will be waiting. Bye!!” And the line turned off before Kyuhyun able to vent his anger.

 

Kyuhyun groaned dissatisfied. He shoved back the phone to Sungmin. All his appetite has already gone by the joke played. Plus, the warning about his hyung wanting him back to the office should not be taken light of.

 

“I’ll pick you up at six.” He demanded.

 

Sungmin is left out gaping at him. A chuckle escaped from her, after the door closed and Kyuhyun disappeared behind it.  

 

“Seriously…he’s nuts.” She concluded and continues back with her work.

 

She received another message from Junsu few minutes later. She treated it as a sign of confirmation of the night’s plan. When it is time, Kyuhyun comes to fetch her as promised. He nagged along the journey because of Kangin’s scolding that afternoon. He kept saying it’s unfair but Sungmin didn’t say anything about it except just laugh.

 

They had a great feast that night. Kangin also had a great time. Though his money was terribly flies by the spending, his worries disappear almost immediately seeing the smile on Sungmin’s. when it was almost midnight, slowly one by one decided to call it a day.

 

“Remember to always keep in touch, Sungminie.” reminded Sunny while hugging Sungmin firmly.

 

Sungmin laughed but she nodded nonetheless. Each one of her co-worker hugged her and left one by one after saying goodbye. Sungmin smiles happily, thinking that she will probably miss the moment after this. But, she knows that her decision is the best for all.

 

“Are you okay going home with Kyuhyun, Sungmin?” Kangin’s voice suddenly heard asking her.

 

Sungmin nodded, “Of course it’s okay. He will not hurt me in anyhow oppa. He’s your brother, right?”

 

Kangin chuckles, “Right. I know.” He agreed.

 

“How about you, oppa?”

 

“What about me?”

 

“Well…” Sungmin smiles teasingly, “I’ve heard from Teukie unnie about your heroic values.”

 

Kangin tensed almost instantly by the name spoken.

 

“You like her right? When are you going to confess?” Sungmin continued teasing.

 

Kangin lets out a big laugh to hide his embarrassment.

 

“What’s with the question, Sungmin? Why on earth would I confess all of sudden?” he retorted still with some laughter.

 

“Why? It is the truth right? Don’t lie to me oppa. I know you like my Teukie unnie.” She said back confidently.

 

Still laughing, “Yeah, I like her. But, how about her? Are you certain that she likes me back?”

 

“Of course I’m sure. Well…though unnie didn’t say anything about it, I know that she likes you. The way she speaks about you is always with sparkles in her eyes. Isn’t that just enough proof?”

 

“Really?” Kangin mumbled under his breath.

 

Somehow, the information makes him proud of himself a little. Maybe Sungmin is talking the truth after all. He hides the happy smile he has and ruffles Sungmin’s hair messily.

 

“Oppa! Stop it!” she protested and pushes Kangin’s hand away.

 

“Hahaha…” he laughed, and continued teasing the girl.

 

Junsu comes soon after that and joins in teasing. It seems Kyuhyun has taken quite a time in the restroom while they are waiting. Few minutes later, finally the said person arrived.

 

“Alright, let’s go.” Kyuhyun comes, while fixing his coat here and there.

 

The three people turned to him at the same time.

 

“Finished taking out dump, Kyuhyun?” Kangin and Junsu annoy him altogether followed by a laugh.

 

Kyuhyun’s face instantly turns red by the anger. Their laughter increases even more his anger, especially since Sungmin also giggled by the side.

 

“I’m not taking out dump!” he vents out.

 

They laugh more, totally enjoy in tormenting Kyuhyun. kyuhyun huffed and stomped his feet in protest.

 

“Stop making fun of me!” he yelled, “Lee Sungmin, let’s go.” He said for the last and walked away, still angry.


Sungmin giggles seeing Kyuhyun’s cute reaction.

 

“I’ll leave first oppa. See you again.” Sungmin excused herself and waved happily before she makes a run in following Kyuhyun.

 

Kangin and Junsu wave back at her and watch until they both vanish from their sight. They have a proud smile on their face.

 

“So…” Junsu’s voice resonates breaking the silence, “Who is this Teukie unnie that Sungmin talked about just now?”

 

Kangin tensed by the unexpected question. Without looking back at the latter, he knows that he’s smirking.

 

“No…no one.” He stammered with his replies.

 

Chuckling, Junsu quickly to talk back, “Oh come on, hyung. I’m your PA. Aren’t I ought to know everything about you, right? It’s unfair that only me being left out.”

 

“No comment.” Kangin retorted and right away runs from answering.

 

“Hey, Kangin-hyung!” Junsu followed him behind and continues teasing.

 

Life becomes more stable after Sungmin comes clean with her problem especially to her father. Now that she’s no longer associated with the corporate world, she feels more at ease. She also got her friends and family around, so she never feels alone anymore. But one day, the one she thought she could forget once more appear out of sudden in front of her.

 

Sungmin and Siwon stood still looking at each other without saying a word. It has been few minutes but none of them seems to want to make the first move. Sungmin noticed the messy hair, and dark circle under Siwon’s eyes. She can even see the tiredness in the other’s eyes but she determined that she will not get sway by it. Not anymore. She is not the same Sungmin anymore.

 

“What can I do to help you?” she brave up to speak first.

 

Siwon scoffed, “Why? Do you hate seeing me now?” he mocked.

 

Sungmin fisted her hands, holding on from the mocking. Her eyes softened looking at the man.

 

“It is you who hate to see me, aren’t you, Siwon-ssi?” she gives the words back at him.

 

Siwon visibly gulped. He could feel anger and sadness in the way Sungmin talking back at him. But, he knew it better than anyone else that he is the one at fault.

 

“I’m just checking on you.” he said, trying to keep his cool composure.

 

His eyes scanned Sungmin from head to toes, “You look more than okay now.” he added, sounded so sarcastic.

 

“It’s not your concern.” Sungmin has her stoic mode on, pretending to not feel affected by Siwon’s words, “I have my right to do whatever I want and whenever it is. I don’t want to keep on lying to myself anymore. Appa also didn’t want me to continue this anymore.” She talked back.

 

Siwon snorted.

 

“Appa this, appa that, and appa…everything you do is all about your appa. Don’t you have any conscience about yourself, Lee Sungmin? Is your appa happiness more important than your own?” he purposely mocked at her.

 

“Yes it is.” Sungmin fast replied.

 

“Ah.”

 

“You don’t understand anything about me, or my family, so, stop judging.” She glared at him.

 

Siwon was totally taken aback by Sungmin’s words and confidence. He can see that the Sungmin in front of him now is totally different than the one he knew before. She has become more confidence and courage to stand on her point of view. She…is not his Sungmin anymore. He told himself. Silences once more engulf them. Both seem to contemplating with their own feelings about everything. Slowly, Siwon gazes upfront and looked straight into Sungmin’s eyes.

 

“Did you ever love me, Sungmin?” he asked, “In those times when we were together, did you ever love me?”

 

Sungmin’s eyes gradually moistened hearing that question from Siwon. It stabbed her heart painfully as it appears that Siwon never have any trust in her before. Like he never really sees the true her from before.

 

“I did and I still love you, oppa.” She whispered sadly.

 

“Then, why? Why didn’t you ever fight for our love? Why didn’t you want to save it?” he poured out his questions in annoyance.

 

Sungmin stares at him and take a deep breath, “Because you didn’t love me.”

 

“Ah.” And that sentence sent Siwon into silence.

 

“I didn’t see a slight love for me in your eyes anymore, oppa. You are different than the man I knew once before. Your eyes…are no longer for me.”

 

She smiles thinly.

 

“Many times, I try to think and find the reason behind your action. I thought that maybe it’s my fault or maybe there is something else that I miss. But, almost every time, the answer I got were the same. You…didn’t trust me. ” she brave up her courage to stares into Siwon’s eyes, fighting against him, “You said you love me but I never see any sincerity in it anymore.” She smiled, averting her eyes away, “I have mistaken your kindness, after all. You…never really love me.” she concluded.

 

“Sungmin…”

 

“Please leave, Siwon-ssi. In case you forget, you’re getting married right?”

 

“You knew?”

 

Sungmin mocked at him, “You’re a public figure, and so did your fiancée. It’s not that difficult to oversee it.” She responded back, “So, I’m asking you nicely. Leave.”

 

Sungmin turned her back and walked away, hiding the tears that are already swelling in her eyes.

 

“Sungmin, wait!” Siwon’s hands fast grabbed Sungmin’s and turned her back facing him.

 

“Please, Sungmin…don’t do this to us.” he holds Sungmin’s shoulder, “Just tell me that you love and I will end everything! I will…I will…”

 

“No, oppa.” Sungmin stopped him, “Don’t do anything. Don’t apologize. Just stop caring about me anymore. Don’t create any more mess than what has already happened.”

 

“But…”

 

“Please…stop this…” she pleaded, detaching away the hands away from the hands slow and painfully.

 

Sungmin feels hurt but she already decided. She will not let Siwon in her heart again. Siwon feels so heartbroken by her rejection. He tried to hold on, but Sungmin’s hands and souls seem just too far away from him. She’s slowly leaving him.

 

“You loved me but it was in the past. Find someone else for yourself. I will never be equal enough for you.” Sungmin’s words stabbed him piercingly, “So, it’s enough already. Stop doing something that is not you. Stop hurting me. Please leave…” Sungmin begged him.

 

“Sungmin…”

 

Sungmin ignored his pleas and slowly retreated away from the man. She leaves Siwon there and goes back inside her café. She walked without making a single turn back. She’s afraid that she might become soft if she sees Siwon more. Reaching inside her café, she hides by the corner. She waits for a few minutes, not doing anything.

 

The scene turned into dead silence with only the clock ticking heard. Sungmin makes a quick look outside and sees no Siwon anymore. He has left. It has completely over now. No more turning back. Sungmin’s legs finally gave in and she slides down onto the floor. She buried her head between her legs and hugged herself. Her body shakes while holding up the tears from coming out. It was really painful to let go of something that she dears so much. Suddenly, she felt darkness blocked the light in front of her. She turned and meets up with the eyes of Minhyuk.

 

The said man crouched down to her level.

 

“You did a good job.” He praised, patting Sungmin’s head.

 

More tears flow, like a river from Sungmin’s eyes.

 

“I’m…I’m sorry…just this time…please let me cry. Don’t tell anyone…appa too…I don’t want him to get hurt by this. I promise…I promise I will be okay again… isskh… just… just this time…” Sungmin choked by the sadness.

 

The man moved forward and embraced Sungmin.

 

“It’s okay. Just cry.” He comforted her and tightens his hug.

 

Hearing the words near to her ears, Sungmin cried harder, clinging onto the man. Just like a newborn child’s first cry, Sungmin cried. But she is sure it will be the last time from now on. She will never cry for a guy named Siwon anymore. She will move on and have a life on her own. 

 

 

/////

 

 

Minhyuk puts a piece of meat inside Sungmin’s plate. He heard a soft whisper saying thank you from her. And that is all he need. Sungmin’s tears have dried but he knew that the pain is still there. After the melancholy state they were into just now, it is no doubt that Sungmin feels so blue. But this time, Sungmin has completely calm down and he is there by her side.

 

“You’re okay now?” he asked.

 

Sungmin hummed while eating the food. Somehow, she feels really hungry after everything ended.

 

“So…” Minhyuk trailed, “Is it over between you and Siwon now?”

 

Sungmin hummed again.

 

“I’m sorry to hear that.” he said again.

 

Sungmin shook her head, “It’s fine. There’s nothing we could do about it anymore. I guess it’s better this way.” Replied Sungmin even though her gaze is clearly avoided from looking at Minhyuk.

 

She played with her food, silence. Minhyuk watched and tried to read her mind but couldn’t figure out anything. He slowly let go of his holding breath.

 

“What has happened, Miniming? I’m all ears if you ever want to tell me anything.” He offered.

 

Sungmin laughed, taking the offer as a joke from the man.

 

“There’s nothing serious, Minhyukie. Rest assured. We broke up only because we lost chemistry with each other, that’s all.” Sungmin said, sort of explaining and comforting herself too.

 

But, Minhyuk doesn’t believe in it. He can see clearly that Sungmin is lying and hiding behind her mask again. He knew Sungmin must have gone through so much difficulty as to not make anyone around her worry. Above all, after what he saw happened between Sungmin and Siwon, he is sure that it has completely end.

 

“So, what’s now?”

 

“Eh? What is it?” she questioned back innocently.

 

“What are you going to do next? Open up for a new love?”

 

Sungmin went into thinking mode by Minhyuk’s words, “Maybe.” she responded indistinctly.

 

“I love you.” Minhyuk fast said the words.

 

“What?”

 

“I love you.” Minhyuk repeated his confession, serious.

 

Sungmin has hangs open staring at him, totally astonished by his sudden confession. She blinked, speechless to retort anything towards the man. Suddenly Minhyuk laughed.

 

“Seriously, Miniming…” he commented, ruffling Sungmin’s hair like a child.

 

“Minhyukkie!” complained Sungmin, pushing the hands away.

 

Still with the laughter, Minhyuk cupped Sungmin’s face with his hands lovingly.

 

“You don’t have to act so surprise like that.” he told her, “You know that I love you very much since before right?” he said again.

 

Their eyes meet in a perfect match. Yet, Sungmin’s heart clenched painfully to hear his casual statement. She knew about Minhyuk’s feelings ever since before and the man has many times confessed to her. But, she still likes Minhyuk only as best friend, not more than that.

 

“Minhyukkie…sorry…” she apologized slowly.

 

Minhyuk sneered, “Stupid. It’s not even your fault. Why would you apologize?” he scolded her.

 

“Because...it makes me sad to see you are sad. I am sort of guilty, right?”

 

“No, you are not guilty. For once just be selfish to yourself Sungmin.” Minhyuk reprimanded her like an elder brother.

 

Sungmin unconsciously pouted. Her lips puckered into a sulk by the lectures.

 

“Anyway, put about my feelings aside, I want you to answer my question honestly. Why did you accept Siwon’s confession before and agreed to be his girlfriend, Miniming?”

 

Minhyuk asked nonchalantly. He’s been keeping the question from a long time now. Even though, it’s unreasonable with the timing and everything, he just feels like asking.

 

“Why? He…confessed to me?” she responded him, a bit hesitate.

 

“So did I, right?”

 

Sungmin’s breath hitched Minhyuk’s fast reply.

 

“And your president too, Kangin. From what I know, he also confessed his love to you, right? Even way before Siwon. But you didn’t accept him. Why?”

 

“Err…”

 

“Is it because you treat him like a brother?” Minhyuk continued, doesn’t give Sungmin a chance to rebut, “Or because he didn’t like you in the past? Or is it because he is your best friend’s step brother? Wait. You didn’t know about it before.” Minhyuk started rambling again, questioning and answering on his own, “Then, why? It’s strange. Ah.”

 

Minhyuk’s explosive of questions suddenly stop at one point. He eyed Sungmin by the corner of his eyes and saw the girl frowning hard at him. He swore he heard a growl coming out from her. 

 

“Are you…angry?”

 

Sungmin huffed, “I am.”

 

He grinned awkwardly.

 

“Sorry~~” he sang, closing his hand together.

 

“You’re always like this Minhyukkie.” Nagged Sungmin, “Every time, you never want to listen to my explanation and shot me with many ridiculous questions. You know me, so, shouldn’t you be the one to understand me the most? Why must you ask me?” Sungmin poured out her frustration.

 

Minhyuk meekly laughed, “I’m sorry, okay?”

 

Sungmin death glared at him long and subconsciously nodded, “Alright.” She surrendered.

 

“Come, let me treat you. Just order whatever you want to eat.” He offered.

 

Sungmin had a long thought by the offer, “I want to drink soju. You’ll let me?”

 

“Soju?” he repeated, “You’re…not trying to make yourself drunk, right?”

 

The stare in Sungmin’s eyes sharpened, “I am.” She said, full of determination.

 

Minhyuk gaped. But, the seriousness obviously showed that she’s not joking. In the end, he obeyed and accompanied her. It doesn’t hurt anyone. He is more than glad to accompany her too. It is better than letting Sungmin alone drinking. He knew Sungmin had a really low tolerance in alcohol. Within just half an hour and a few bottle of soju, Sungmin already getting tipsy.

 

“That jerk!” Sungmin stabbed her chopstick onto the cooked meat harsh, “Who does he think he is?!” she raged, sort of speaking to Siwon himself, “He’s just a jerk! Ump!” and she shoves the food inside .

 

The soju has finally intoxicated her into the drunkenness. She started rambling many unrecognizable words, pouring out all her complains that she kept inside before. Minhyuk who has been watching laughed at her, feels amused. He received a glare from Sungmin.

 

“Stop laughing!” she scolded, “You are not him!” she continued while pointing to him.

 

“Hahaha…yes, yes. I know Miniming. I am not him.” Minhyuk agreed and calmly offered her some more meat that he cooked.

 

Sungmin glares at him more. But, soon after, she opens and took the meat willingly. She continued complaining about many things in her life. Her appa, her work and especially about Siwon. It seems that the soju has helped to ease her mind a little bit in admitting. Minhyuk found himself smiling and holding out his laughter with Sungmin’s every action. It’s funny but touching all the same.

 

A few hours later, Sungmin passed out after few more drinks. Minhyuk carried Sungmin on his back. The two of them walked away from the stall after Minhyuk finished paying everything. He strolled carefully into a park. Sungmin’s breathing was slow but calming in a melodious sync. When Minhyuk thought that maybe Sungmin has fallen asleep, he heard her voice.

 

“Minhyukkie…” Sungmin whispered his name soft.

 

“Hm?”

 

“Thank you…” Sungmin’s voice resonates in his ears sadly.

 

Minhyuk’s expression slowly changed upon hearing it.

 

“Thank you for accepting my hand. I was really grateful. Your hands were warm and still warm now. Thank you also…for always stays by my side and believes in me. You are…always the best companion I ever had.” She confessed her feelings, for the first time ever, “But, I’m sorry.” Her tone saddened once more.

 

“I’m sorry to have rejected your love and hurt you. I’m sorry that I couldn’t love you the way you love me. I’m sorry that you have to bare the pain alone. But, remember that you always have a special place in my heart. No one and no matter what happen or what you did, my heart will remain the same for you. Now and forever.” She promised.

 

“You will forgive me, right?” she ended, cutely.

 

Minyuk didn’t give Sungmin any reply. He just continues walking and finally stopped at one bench. Carefully he puts her down onto the bench. Sungmin’s expression is dejected. Her face is red flush by the soju and her eyes are still blurry from the dizziness she felt but Minhyuk knew everything she said is from her heart. He kneels down in front of her, and purposely cleans Sungmin’s hand even though there’s nothing on it. Subsequently he sighs. He reached for Sungmin’s head and her hair lovingly.

 

“You’re forgiven.” He replied simply.

 

A smile automatically grew on Sungmin’s face. It seems that she is completely satisfied by the answer she got. Minhyuk also has a smile pasted on him looking up straight into Sungmin’s eyes. He moved and takes a sit beside Sungmin to which Sungmin immediately puts her head onto his shoulder. She wrapped her hands around Minhyuk’s arms and their finger interlaced with each other. Sungmin started humming a song and Minhyuk followed her with a proud smile. After that, it is silence again between them.

 

“You know Sungmin…” Minhyuk speaks off slowly, “I have been wondering ever since the first time we met. Do you…recognize who I am really are?”

 

Minhyuk notices a slight tense on Sungmin’s body. He knows he’s being ridiculous by asking half-conscious Sungmin but at the same time, he knew he can trust her. Sungmin’s drunken state is always the honest one. He was stunned for a minute when a cold hand reached for his cheek. His eyes meet up with Sungmin’s.

 

“You’re my Min-oppa.”

 

Totally taken aback by Sungmin’s answer, Minhyuk’s expression darkened.

 

“And I’m your little Min, right?” Sungmin continued.

 

“How…how did you know it’s me?” he could feel his heart trembled with his own question.

 

Sungmin pouted, “I just know I guess.” She responded back softly, “You didn’t change much since the last time.”

 

Minhyuk freeze at the revelation. He has always thought that Sungmin knew about his secret but he never believed that it is actually true. His hands clench into a fist. Now, he’s unsure to what sort of reaction he should give to Sungmin.

 

“I’m sorry, Min-oppa.” Suddenly Sungmin apologized again, “Seeing me again must have hurt you right? I’ve done nothing but only gives you pain. Right from the beginning.” She hugged his arms tighter.

 

Minhyuk remained silent.

 

“But actually I’m very happy.” Sungmin smiles as her head turned to him, “I’m very happy that we met again and be together like this. I know it’s wrong but I’m so glad that I am able to stay together with you again. I’m happy that I can be assured that you had your life of your own now.”

 

“Heh…” Minhyuk sneered, “A life of my own. Are you sure about that?” he remarked, sadness once more overwhelms him.

 

“Does it…still hurt?” Minhyuk once again tensed when Sungmin’s cold hand touches his chest where his heart is.

 

His heart thumping loudly and he knew Sungmin can feel it. Their gazes locked with each other.

 

“I miss you, Min-oppa, so much. Ever since we part away, I always pray that you’ll be happy. I’m always praying that you will stop suffering.” Sungmin’s lips puckered suddenly, saddened, “But I guess my pray weren’t answered.”

 

Minhyuk’s heart tightened painfully by Sungmin’s words of blaming herself, “Why?” he asked reflectively.

 

“Why? Because you are hurts, Min-oppa. And it’s because of me.”

 

A drop of tear falls from Sungmin’s eyes.

 

“I never forget about what happened to us. Maybe I am lying to be okay, but, honestly I never want to forget. More than the pain, the memories we had together is also very precious to me. So that’s why…I feel sad whenever I remember that I hurt you.”

 

Minhyuk’s heart breaks even more. He wants to talk back but the words just stuck inside, not knowing how to express it.

 

“You can hate me…” Sungmin told him, “I can understand if you do. So, it’s okay to hate me. If it could help you lessen the pain, I am willing to be hated.”

 

After the longest silence, Minhyuk smiled thinly.

 

“How can I do that, stupid little Min? When it is you…how can I hate you?” he softly replied and wipes the tear off Sungmin’s cheek.

 

More tears fall from Sungmin and Minhyuk wipes it away one by one, “I will never hate you little Min.” he runs his hand onto Sungmin’s hair her gently.

 

Sungmin closed her eyes while adoring the warmth from him.

 

“I will never hate you, so you can stop blaming yourself about this matter.” He said, holding onto Sungmin’s hand, “Whatever happened to me, to my family or to us, is not your fault at all. It hurts my feelings to see you blaming yourself like this you know? I’m fine now. And I will be even better if you are too.”

 

“But…”

 

“Shh…stop. No more protesting.” Minhyuk stopped her from continuing, “I love you little Min. More than anyone could ever do. I love you before and I will love you forever. I know that without telling me, you already have someone special in your deepest mind. And I also know you will forget about this tomorrow. But please promise me, Little Min. Please stop blaming yourself and stop hurting us like this. You can do that, right?” he patted her cheek gently.

 

Sungmin is pouting but she nodded nonetheless. That sign is all that Minhyuk needed. Minhyuk continued on holding Sungmin’s hand, while the silence night getting deeper by the time. Not many people know but he and Sungmin did has some history together. Sungmin herself never talk about it to anyone. Just like she said, the memories they had was only pain and as much as they want to forget about it, neither of them are able to do so. Other people might never understand or knows about their true relationship, but he didn’t give a damn care.

 

“Look, your savior is here for you.” Minhyuk informed suddenly breaking the silence.

 

Sungmin lazily turned her head beside and sees Kyuhyun’s figure comes running towards them.

 

“Kyu…hyun?”

 

Kyuhyun arrived beside them at the same time as Minhyuk standing up.

 

“Sungmin, are you okay?”

 

“Hahaha...it is Kyuhyun!” she chirped and laughed happily.

 

Kyuhyun frowned. He turned towards Minhyuk asking for an answer.

 

“She drinks?”

 

Minhyuk nonchalantly nodded.

 

“Why? How come?”

 

“I don’t know. She said she’s stressed.”

 

“Stress? Because of what?” Minhyuk shrugged Kyuhyun’s question away, “And me? Why did you call me here for?” Kyuhyun continue asking.

 

“I want you to bring Sungmin home.”

 

“Why?”

 

“No particular reason. I just feel like making you suffer the wrath from Sungmin’s father, that’s all.” He smirked evilly, obviously teasing Kyuhyun from the statement.

 

“You…know he will get angry.” He remarked.

 

Minhyuk laughed, “Hahaha…I know much more than you could ever think of, Cho Kyuhyun.”

 

Kyuhyun sighed. He concluded that there’s no use of arguing against Minhyuk when he clearly sees he’s losing. He kneels down in front of Sungmin and looks at her closely. Sungmin had her eyes closed, maybe getting sleepy. A smile spreads on him automatically.

 

So cute. He complimented inside.

 

“Alright Sungmin,” he brings his hands around Sungmin and carried her bridal style, “Let’s go home.”

 

Sungmin groaned after being lifted like that so suddenly. She struggled to get out from Kyuhyun’s grip but the latter’s strength holds her firmly.

 

“Stop moving, Sungmin.” scolded Kyuhyun.

 

“Urgh…it’s hot…” she complained, hitting Kyuhyun’s chest with her hands.

 

“Right, right. I’ll take you to the car right away. Just please stop struggling.” He comforted her.

 

Sungmin groaned in dissatisfaction but Kyuhyun holds her steadily as to not make her fall. Minhyuk laughed while watching their interaction. He’s amused of course. It is the first time ever that he ever sees Sungmin acting so cutely like that. He is sure the only reason is because Sungmin is the most comfortable with Kyuhyun.

 

“Do you have any question you want to ask Sungmin, Kyuhyun?” Minhyuk asked out of the blue.

 

“Eh? What? Why?” he’s not getting tired asking the same question.

 

“Just wondering.”

 

Kyuhyun hummed thinking, “Probably.” He replied hesitantly.

 

“Then, I suggest you to ask her now.”

 

“What?” Kyuhyun jaw dropped, “Are you serious? You want me to ask Sungmin now, in her drunken state, like this?” he pointed to the slight sleepy and tipsy Sungmin in his arms.

 

Minhyuk nodded, “Why not, right? There’s even a saying that the most honest man in the world is when a person is drunk. So, I don’t see anything wrong with it.” he replied reluctantly.

 

A frown formed on Kyuhyun, “You’re joking.” He remarked.

 

Minhyuk laughed, “Well, I’m just suggesting, Cho. You can take it or leave it. But so you know…” he moves closer and caressed Sungmin’s head, as gentle as possible, “This is the only time where Sungmin will speak the truth about anything and forgets the next day come.” He informed with a proud smile.

 

“The only time?” Kyuhyun repeated.

 

Minhyuk nodded admitting.

 

“How can you be so confident?”

 

“Because I’ve seen it and tested it before. Not only me, many other people can testify to that, you just need to ask about it.” he told him.

 

Kyuhyun turned to look at Sungmin, he blinked. He did have a question he wants to know. But, he’s still hesitant about the new information. Should he ask?

 

“Are you sure she will not remember the next morning?” he asked again.

 

Minhyuk looked at Kyuhyun and just smiles with an unreadable expression.

 

“Just try Cho Kyuhyun.” he suggested for the last time and walked away without turning back.

 

Kyuhyun stares confusingly at his retreating figure, couldn’t understand what the man just talked about. Another groan from Sungmin wakes him from dazing out. He looks again at the girl and smiles unconsciously.

 

“Let’s go, Sungmin.” he whispered to her ear softly.

 

Kyuhyun’s steps are slow towards his car. He honestly wants to savior the moment with Sungmin in his arms. Saying him as stupid, but he likes it. Moreover, he didn’t feel a bit tired holding the girl so long. Sungmin is never heavy to begin with, so he is fine with it. Even though he knows by the time he sends Sungmin home, it’s going to be another story altogether. Just like what Minhyuk said, it’s a wrath but a bit suffer for a greater happiness is nothing to compare right?

 

 

 

TBC