VII Rose

The Happy Ending

My love is like a red rose
It may be beautiful now
But my sharp thorns will hurt you
My love is like a red rose
Yes, I may be fragrant
But the closer you get, the more I’ll hurt you

Don’t look at me with that light glance
Don’t speak of love easily
If you want my heart, you need to take my pain too
Because you will be pricked by my thorns someday

Don’t trust me too much
You don’t know me that well yet
So just run away run away
I said ooh ooh ooh
Don’t love me
You don’t know me that well yet
I said run away just run away
Don’t come to me

 

Their fellow label mate Lee Hi's song was playing on the radio in the car as soon as Jiyong turned it on. Beside him, he noticed how Dara couldn't help but quietly sing along to the song. It was always so nice to hear songs of YG family members on the radio, and every time they do they can't help but feel a sense of pride for their family.

Reminding him of the upcoming comeback of 2NE1, Jiyong said, "by the way, how are your preparations for the comeback so far? I heard do song."

"You have?" Dara replied surprisedly. She can't help but feel nervous every time the two of them talks about their work. After all, he was still her senior and he still had more experience than her in this field.

"Yes. It was really good. As expected." Jiyong said with a big smile on his face, his voice filled with pride for his hoobaes. It was a good thing he was driving because he would have seen how red Dara's face turned at his simple compliment.

"Thank you. Preparations are doing pretty well. The girls are all so excited for our music video shoot as well. It has been a while after all."

"Well I'm sure everyone's gonna love the song."

"You are full of compliments today, aren't you?" The two laughed. "Hey, where are we going anyway?"

"You'll see! We're almost there," he said, still keen on keeping from Dara where they're going.

True to what he said, they reached their destination not long after. Dara remembered this place as if it was just yesterday when they went here. This was the place where they had that chili game. This was the place where he took the punishment for her so long as she does her "in and out" dance moves. This is where she started to feel something else when she saw the smile on his face while she was doing what he asked her to. Why did he bring her here?

"I know you're really surprised to see that we're here..."

Oh no. What is he gonna do? She remember she told him before when they just started dating that this was the place where she fell in love with him. Did he plan everything out with CL? But then, what was that with Ji Na? Ji Na wouldn't have been part of this.

"Actually, there's something I haven't been completely honest with you about..."

No. No, this can't be. Could he possibly be trying to pursue her again? She already told him they can't be together. She thought after all these months he has already accepted that. What is she supposed to tell him? Is she to break his heart again? Why is he doing this? How can he not imagine how much more harder it is for her every time she tries to push him away?

"The truth is..."

Is she ready for this? She knew he told her that he might never forget about his feelings for her, but she noticed how he was doing pretty fine nowadays. Or that's what you made yourself believe. Could it be that he was going tell her he still loves her? Could it be that he would ask her to try it again with him? What was she supposed to say? She doesn't think she can still reject him this time. She has been holding herself back for too long, and Ji Na's appearance just provoked her feelings more. Is she really ready to have him back again? Despite what she knows? Despite what he doesn't know she knows? No, she can't. She loves him, yes. But she can't. Once they're together again, she wouldn't be able to keep it from him, and she knows knowing that would hurt him more than them not being together. No, she can't do this. Not yet. Maybe not ever.

Dara was sweating like a pig, and Jiyong quickly noticed that.

"Hey, are you okay? What's wrong?" Sounding worried, he tried to reach out his hand to her forehead.

"Look," Dara started, raising her hands up in front of her face, halting Jiyong's attempt to feel her forehead. "Whatever you're about to say, you don't have to say it okay? I'm sure it'll be just fine even if I don't hear it."

"But-"

"No buts Ji, please. Let's just eat okay? And then take me home. Please."

Dara stepped out of the car without another word and rushed to go inside the restaurant. Confused with what just happened, Jiyong hurriedly went out of the car to follow the flustered girl inside the restaurant.

Dara's appearance was composed, but deep inside she was panicking real hard. Did she do well? Did she avoid it well? Of course not. She overreacted and she knows it. Now what? Can she really eat dinner with him, alone? Perhaps she should ask him to take her home now? She closed her eyes for a moment and then turned around. As she did, she bumped into someone. The impact was so hard that she would've fallen to the ground if not for the hands that held her arms.

"Dara?" She heard a familiar voice call her name. She opened her eyes and looked up at the owner of the voice, shocked out of her wits. "What are you doing here?"

Having caught up with the escaped girl, Jiyong spoke for her. "Hyung!" Upon hearing him call, Se7en let go of Dara to greet him. "Sorry hyung, I wasn't able to tell you I was going with Dara. She and the girls were supposed to eat out but some things happened and so here she is."

"You were meeting with Dongwook?" Dara asked Jiyong in an accusatory tone.

"Yes," he answered apologetically. "I was about to tell you, but then you started sweating heavily and freaked out. What did you think I would do?"

Stupid, Dara. Very stupid. How narcissistic can you get? Do you possibly think he would still want you back after all those times you pushed him away? Of course you had to overreact. Dara scowled at Jiyong for not telling her earlier but mostly, she scowled for how she acted earlier. She was embarrassed that she just wants to get away from these two boys who holds a dear place in her heart.

"Sorry, I didn't really know you were gonna be here. Aren't you with Han Byul?" She looked at the tables, trying to look for a familiar face.

"If I had known this was supposed to be a double date, I would have brought her."

"This is not a date!" The two said in unison.

"Oh." Se7en said, coming to a realization. "So I'm guessing you two are still..."

"Yup. We're still friends, thank you very much." Dara said a little too sharply. This made Jiyong wince a little, but thankfully the two didn't notice. They immediately went to their table, and after ordering food they started chatting, catching up with each others' lives. Mostly, it was Se7en who was speaking. Dara cheerfully conversed with him every time the topic includes Han Byul. Jiyong was more of a listener that night despite the fact that he was originally to have this dinner with Se7en alone.

And the night went on like that.

 

_________________________

 

Jiyong was driving back to his apartment. He just dropped off Dara after a really awkward night, awkward goodbyes included. He was still trying to understand why she acted the way she did earlier, especially when he told her that he had something he needed to tell her. And then after that she seemed really irritated with him. Could she possibly have thought that he was going to ask for them to start dating again? Is that why she seemed pretty angry? Is she that greatly appalled with the idea of them being together again? He really doesn't know anymore.

He knew that eventually, he would have to make her see that they should be with each other. He knew that he had to pursue her again soon, but now is not yet the time. Not until she tells him what's been bothering her, what caused her to break things off with him. He thought if he asked Dara to at least be friends, they would go back to being comfortable with each other the way they used to be. He thought he would at least be close to figuring out what her real reasons were, but as the months passed by, he saw her slipping farther and farther away from him. He couldn't do anything, couldn't even hold on to her because he wasn't his to hold on to anymore.

He tried. At one point, he tried to forget her. He was in Japan then for a special performance. he stayed there for a week. He took advantage of that and tried to keep her away from his mind. He almost thought he could. But at the end of the day, before he fell asleep, he still thinks about her, thinks about how her day went. He used to tell her she should be used to him asking how her day went until they grow old together, promised her he would never get tired of asking what happened to her in that day. Looks like he can really keep his promise.

Arriving at his apartment's basement parking, he immediately stepped out of the car, rode the elevator, and went inside his apartment. Once inside, he was welcomed by his dog Gaho. It was always nice coming home because he knew he was never alone. Gaho made sure he would always have company, and he felt reassured with that fact. He caressed his dog's head and went into the kitchen to get his food. After filling up his food container, Jiyong went to his room to take a quick shower and rest. This day sure was very exhausting for him, especially the dinner.

His phone suddenly rang as he lied down. He checked the caller I.D. and found out it was Ji Na.

"Hello?" He immediately answered. "How was your grandpa?"

"You never did pay attention, did you?" Ji Na said sarcastically. "I told you through email that my grandpa passed away 5 years ago."

"Oh, yeah." Jiyong said, relaxing at her reply. Almost instantly, he realized what his friend just said. "Wait, what? Your grandpa is what?"

Ji Na laughed on the other side of the phone. "You're funny, Yong. Always so naive. So how was your date with Dara?"

"You planned all this?" he said in an accusatory, almost angry tone.

"Well, it wasn't really my plan. I've heard about what happened between you and Dara before I came here, and it seemed like CL and I had the same feelings towards this. So, no I didn't plan this alone."

"Ji Na, what were you thinking? You shouldn't have done that!"

"What? I was just helping. You should've seen how the two of you acted in the meeting room and in the elevator. Geez."

"Ji Na, you know I respect you and treat you as a really good friend, but could you please out of this? And since you're really good friends with Chaerin now, why not tell her to do the same."

"No, Yong. We can't do that. Nothing will happen if you two continue to be stubborn like this!"

"She's not yet ready!"

"Oh yeah, and how do you know that?"

"I just know, okay? And besides, she hasn't even told me why she broke up with me in the first place. Maybe she just doesn't love me anymore."

"That's not it." Ji Na said. She was silent for a while, unable to reply to his statement. "What if she would never be ready to tell you?" She said, being careful with what she says so as not to give out anything. "What if she's just waiting for you to tell her why you broke up?"

"Tell her? Are you ing kidding me? How the hell would I know. She was the one who broke up with me." He said, pinching the bridge of his nose. "We were perfectly fine. Before that, we were perfectly fine. Yes, we fought every now and then but that's because it was too challenging to be physically together in a secret relationship. But we were totally fine. I'm sure of it."

"She doesn't think so. Looks to me like she's waiting for you to do something, or at least say something."

"What do you mean?"

"Look, I have to go. I have a really important meeting with the president tomorrow. Bye." And just like that, Ji Na ended the call.

"Whaaaat?" Jiyong said out loud in frustration. What did she mean by what she said? Waiting for him to do or say something? How could that be possible? He swore he had already done and said everything he could, but it still didn't bring her back to him. At least not in the way he wanted them to be.

And just like that, his day got more worse than it already was. He thought about what his friend told him until the wee hours of the morning. Even though he tried to sleep, sleep didn't evade him. His head throbbed, his eyes hurt, and his body was dead tired. Still, he thought about what his friend's words could mean. And like that, thinking, throbbing, hurting, he fell asleep only to wake up from a nightmare.

 

--------------------------------------------------------------

a/n: So I'm supposed to be studying for an exam tomorrow (rather later) but here I am, uploading a new chapter. Crazy, right? Haha.

Anywaaaay. So, are you guys getting more curious about Ji Na? Getting confused which side she's on? I was confused at first too haha. But believe me, she has a pivotal role in our precious daragon's love story. Whether its a good or a bad role, that's for me to know and for you to find out in the next chapters. ;3

Feel free to post comments! :)

Newbie writer,

cescanicolelala♥