I.

10 Ways To Break His Heart

"Miyoung!" my mother roared from the kitchen. I finished fixing my hair and ran down. She was wearing her usual apron, her hair pulled into a messy pony. My mother is a cook, handling our small restaurant. Because we couldn't afford a bigger place, the restaurant stood in a hidden alley where strange guys eat. 

"You slept late again didn't you?" she shouted, throwing a rolling pin on the floor. I picked it up and placed on my apron to help.

"Ah, I waited for Myungsoo to finish last night." I exclaimed. Thinking of him made my heart flutter. We've been together for almost 3 years now and he never fails to make me swoon. 

"That guy again? When will you learn that rich guys like him will never like people like you!" my mother shouted, putting down the plate loudly. Most of the time, I would just ignore her and understand that she's under a lot of stress but these days, all she does is bring me down.

"Mom, we've been together for 3 years now. Isn't that enough to prove?" I argued, keeping my temper in place since a customer arrive. He was a scruffy man covered in jackets.

"No." she answred, welcoming me with a glare. I sighed and stared at the clock. I removed my apron and headed for the door. "Now where are you going?" she shouted.

"I'm baby-sitting at Ms. Park's!" I answered back, half way across the street. I walked calmly when I was far enough from the house and placed on my headphones. The one Myungsoo gave me. I could remember it as if it was yesterday. Even though I'm not the prettiest girl or the smartest one out there, he picked me. Until now, the idea seems crazy. Myungsoo is the son of a well-known business man. He and his father handles different businesses so they're well-known. I got a job at their flower shop and Myungsoo handles the other branches of their coffee shops and studios. Life has never been this perfect.

"Guess who?" a voice whispered as his hands covered my eyes. 

"Yah, Myungsoo!" I exclaimed, welcoming him with a hug. He hugged back and placed a kiss on my forehead.

"Where are you heading?" he asked, lacing his fingers with mine as we walked. 

"Mrs. Park. I'm baby-sitting. You?" I replied, removing my headphones as they dangle around my neck.

"I'm free today. Want me to come with you?" he asked.

"Ani. You should go rest." I argued. He titled his head and stared at me for a moment. I flicked his head and laughed. "See? You even have frown lines!" I exclaimed dramatically.

"And does that make me ugly? Ah! So that's why you don't want me to come with you! I'm getting ugly!" he acted, shaking his head.

"Yes you're ugly. And I can take care of myself if that's what you're worrying about." I smiled at him, squeezing his hands. As if on cue, a speeding car slashes across the street, half of it eating up the side ways. Myungsoo pulled me as fast as he could, turning me around so we could switch places. The car grazed him but Myungsoo didn't react as he continued to glare at the driver who is frantically apologizing.

"M-my car is--"

"I don't give a about your car! What if my girlfriend got hit? What if she was the one grazed? your life isn't even half of her's!" he shouted.

"I'm really sorry," he stammered and walked to me bowing. Myungsoo glared more and he ran off. 

"Are you alright?" I asked, checking his arm. No wounds or anything. I sighed and looked at him. "Aish, you were too harsh on that man. He looked scared." 

"He should be. No one tries to hurt my jagi." he smiled and pulled me closer. 

 

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTHThFlJGPApNykTVQNvYT

 

"And they lived happily ever after." I finished, closing the book. I stared at Jiyoon who is still actively listening. " I guess this is the part where you sleep." 

"Unnie, why does the princess always have the happy ending?" she asked.

"Hmm, because the bad girls are...not so good."

"Wae? Like the bad step-sisters in Cinderella, they just want to be loved. Is it bad?" the six year old asked. I stared at her in awe. Is she being smart with me? Or is it pure innocence?

"Well, the story was cut short. We never know what happened next." I smiled. Jiyoon settled into her sheets and smiled back.

"Maybe she was mad. Because the prince chose Cinderella. She'll ask the fairy to make her pretty and get revenge. Then she'll break the prince heart like he did to her."  she smiled evilly.

"Yah. That's not good." I scolded but she was already asleep.  I sighed and stared at her. Maybe I'd get a child like her someday.

"Now that's a twisted ending." Myungsoo laughed, leaning at the doorway.

"So you're siding with her, eh?" I pouted. He sat beside me and held my hand.

"Of course I'd side with my future wife." he breathed.

"W-what?" 

Myungsoo knelt down and pulled out a small box. Inside it was a silver ring. 

"Kang Miyoung. Will you be my wife?"