FORTY TWO

Ah, Love

AUTHOR’S NOTE:

 

            Remember when I asked you guys before what was the star for because I got really excited about it and I was dumbstruck when you all started congratulating me for the feature of XOXO? Kekekeke, good times :3

 

            I was about to sleep last night when I decided to check on the site because I have this habit of reading fluff stories before I go to bed and was surprised when this thing met my face. I cried like a baby last night and my sister laughed at me but I didn’t care because I was too lost in the sea of the moment! I just want to take this time to give you all a big thank you because you guys are the reason for all this /creys a nile river/ and I'm sorry I can't give you much but if I could, I would treat you guys for icecream... there's many of you though and I'm poor so I have yet to still Suho's black cardeu ~

 

            OH MAH HEARTU ~ I would post a video of me crying like a baby over it but I watched it this morning and I therefore conclude it should never be uploaded on the internet for it may be used against me in the future. But seriously thank you guys ~ thank you subbies, thank you friends, thank you for the upvotes, the comments, the critiques, the PMs and the congratulations that you all have been sending my way! You guys have made me realize that my hard work is being appreciated and I don't overall at life.

 

            Looks like this may not be my last year here on AFF afterall, kekeke.

P.S.soo

I still don't have a laptop and have yet to buy one. Bear with the slow updates for awhile. (LOL at mah face)

 

 


 

CHAPTER 42

 

 

 

 

 

Yi Fan!” Luhan snaps his fingers infront of the dazed chairman’s face “Huh?

 

 

You’re spacing out, did something happen?

 

 

Kris groans, running his hands through his hair in frustration as he pushes himself back to lean on the backrest of his leather chair. He and Hana had ended the call in the wee hours of the morning already, an hour before the sun rose and he didn’t really get a wink of sleep because his brain refused to rest “Yeah, something definitely happened” Luhan concludes out loud and sits himself down on the visitor’s chair “Alright, tell Lulu what happened

 

 

He didn’t even know why he suddenly started talking but all he knew was that he couldn’t suppress it any longer.

 

 

Okay, okay, stop there machine gun” Luhan says holding up his hands; Kris sighs heavily as he buries his face in his hands “So let me get this straight, Hana passed the test?” Kris nods “But she’s still thinking if she should take your offer or your grandmother’s?” he nods again.

 

 

I think she should take your grandmother’s

 

 

Luhan!” he roars

 

 

What?” the doe eyed male shrugs “I'm stating my honest opinion here. Your grandmother has a point you know. You and I know how much criticism Hana is getting every day and I doubt it’s gonna stop any time soon but come on Kris… you clearly know that this is a solution infront of you

 

 

Kris rests his head on his desk looking utterly defeated; ofcourse, it was indeed a solution but it was not exactly ideal to him. If he were to have his way, give no regards to Hana in the situation, he would have the offer refuted, bankrupt Cube, anything at all just to have Hana flown to China but no… he couldn’t be selfish now.

 

 

He had given her his word and she had given him his full trust now, he was not gonna flunk it.

 

 

Luhan shook his head feeling sorry for his friend; he had never seen Kris like this. He had been so used to the Kris Wu always gets his way that he had still yet to adjust to the Kris Wu is weak for his girlfriend side of him.

 

 

So what do you plan to do if she ends up choosing Cube?

 

 

I gave her my word… ugh” he sounded so defeated that it made Luhan laugh, thus earning him a glare from the higher ranked guy. He held up his hands in defense and mumbles an apology “Alright sorry, you just sound funny… who knew the almighty dragon of the business world would sound this weak for a girl?

 

 

Shut up, man” he grumbles, his head still planted on the table.

 

 

What about that other plan of yours?

 

 

Kris sits up, sighing heavily as he massaged his temples “That’s another thing…

 

 

Stephanie.

 

 

I stare back at my reflection in the mirror making sure that no strand of hair was out of place; cream colored long sleeve button up shirt, black fitted jeans and black pumps. Sigh. Simple office look, Stephanie. Keep it simple. I take one last glance at myself before grabbing the bag on my bed just in time that the door to my bedroom opened and Yookyung walked in, busily trying to put on her watch.

 

 

Hey we have to get going now or your brother’s going to –” she stops abruptly as she looks at me and all of a sudden I feel self-conscious; Yookyung has always had that eagle eye look whenever she was faced with clothes, it was some sort of perk that came with being a fashion designer, I don’t know but it has always made me feel uncomfortable and judged but I never complained because she insisted it was normal.

 

 

She locks up her watch and walks towards me; swiftly she reaches out a hand and pulls on the tie keeping my hair together. So much for perfecting that bun. Mental sobs. She runs a hand through the long locks for a couple of times before ruffling the underside just behind my ears and takes a step back as if observing a masterpiece before smiling and chiming brightly “There, now you look less boring and uptight, more demanding

 

 

I timidly turn to look at myself in the mirror, amazed at how such a simple ruffle up could change a whole look. Gulp. Wow.

 

 

I… thank you but I don’t think I’d fit the demanding part well” I mumble as I turn to look at her, only then seeing how much we bother differed.

 

 

She wore a pearly white military style and gold buttoned jacket over a black fitted dress, black stockings and black pumps; her hair curled at the ends and cascading down one side of her shoulder. Yes, totally different. Then again, she was going to be the head of Fashion Department from today onwards plus she has always been extravagant anyway. Fashion Icon, if I may say so.

 

 

Listen to me” she walks forward, grabbing the sides of my arms and looks at me dead in the eye, her face turning serious “The business world has no place for weaklings; you are a Wu therefore, you are entitled to power and wealth so straighten up, bask in the glory and show them just how equally deserving you are to use the family name

 

 

I didn’t fail to see the look of sullen clouding her eyes as she said that last reminder. We were alike in that way afterall, unlike Kris, we are not so welcome in the Wu Family because up until now no matter how much we turn a blind eye and ignore the remarks, we are still branded illegitimate.

 

 

Because, everyone looks at Kris as the one, only and rightful owner of everything the Wu family had and will have.

 

 

It’s a bitter thought but that’s not what bothers me. I could care less about the wealth and other whatnots, all I wanted was just to be accepted as I am without having to prove myself or having people look at me in ridicule as if I’m some freeloader just because the family name that everyone respects is attached to me. Hearing a sigh cuts me off of my thoughts and I’m reminded that Yookyung was still in the room.

 

 

She releases me and turns on her heel “Come on, we can’t be late on our first day

 

 


 

 

The car ride seemed rather slow and Yookyung kept groaning and mumble curses under her breath, grumbling about how my brother was going to rant to no end if we’re both late. Somehow, I find myself giggling and placed a hand on her shoulder in hopes to calm her down “Relax, late is better than speeding and getting into an accident

 

 

An accident is better than having Kris breaking my eardrums” she scoffs rolling her eyes but she gives up and sinks back on her side of the seat “Really, I don’t know Hana can tolerate that guy… if I were in her place, I would have given up on him long ago

 

 

Jie jie’s temper and patience is really something” I turn to look out of the window “She loves him and I truly believe that people do stupid things for love

 

 

Yookyung laughs “You sound like you’ve experienced it firsthand, tell me did you have a boyfriend before?

 

 

Or I just read too many romantic novels” I chuckle. A wash of relief pours down on me as I see Wu Prime’s building, still far but it’s a signal that we’re getting close.

 

 

Jie jie” she calls and I’m suddenly reminded that I’m actually older than her. I often forget that fact. Yes?” “Can you keep a secret?” I turn to see her looking at me with the most determined and dead serious eyes “What?

 

 

Promise me you’ll keep it a secret and you must never ever, ever tell anyone especially Yi Fan

 

 

Gulp. I bat my eyes at her before nodding “Okay, I promise

 

 

All of a sudden her face falters. She presses a button, rolling up the divider to isolate the backseat from the driver and only then she spoke “I really need to let this out, I envy their relationship” I blink my eyes at her. That’s it? Now please don’t tell that to Yi Fan because he will use it against me, and I may never hear the end of it!

 

 

I chuckle, one minute she’s this fashion designer oozing with demand and the next she’s acting like a child. I never get Wu Yookyung, she’s weird. I nod my head and assure her that her secret is safe, she sighs in great relief and wipes off imaginary sweat “Phew, glad I got that out!

 

 

Yeah, it was an envious relationship. A relationship that anyone would want to have, a relationship that people only thought existed in fiction. There’s one thing I don’t envy though and in some way I think it’s rather wrong of me but I’m more than relieved that I am not the one in Hana’s shoes because for me, the weight she carries is heavier than mine. To be honest, she has more spotlight than me simply because she’s the girlfriend of a business tycoon and we all know that everything comes two-faced.

 

 

Everything comes with a price; don’t they say that in the corporate world?

 

 

And Hana is paying a mighty big price for the title she holds and come to think of it, how much more is she willing to pay if that title was to be erased and replaced with something that sounds more… permanent?

 

 

Hana jie jie…” I spoke up and find myself smiling “is really something

 

 

It’s still undeniable of how much I am in debt to her though. She’s idiotic and clumsy, I’ll agree with what gege’s friends tell me, but her determination, her spirit and will to always keep going no matter what makes her who she is and it’s what makes me believe that she will overcome all odds just to stay with my brother.

 

 

I can’t lie, she’s a strong woman. That’s a fact.

 

 

A woman indeed” Yookyung laughs and the car finally comes to a stop; the door to Yookyung’s side opens and she steps out of the vehicle with me following. A female in uniform greets us both with a smile and as if it was for the very first time, she greets us “Welcome to Wu Prime

 

 

Gulp.

 

 


 

 

About time you arrived” Kris grumbles, slapping down folders on his table and gets up, buttoning his expensive Italian brand blue coat as the two ladies stand before him. Yookyung was quiet, her lips sealed shut and Stephanie didn’t fail to notice the change of demeanor in the girl. Perhaps, a new façade, she concludes.

 

 

The door opens and Luhan walks in, smiling and greeting the two and managed to sneak Yookyung a smirk to which she replies with a roll of her eyes. Childish she thinks.

 

 

Everyone’s ready to meet them” Luhan informs the chairman and Kris responds with a nod before leading the way. Stephanie takes a deep breath before following, jumping a bit in surprise as she feels a hand land on her lower back but comes to a relief when she finds that it was only Luhan “So jumpy, there’s nothing to be scared of” he chuckles and gives a light push on her back thus they begin to walk.

 

 

Kris’ PA follows along behind the four upon request. The chairman presses the button for the fashion department’s floor and the elevator doors close in

 

 

Luhan” he calls out his colleague’s name; he makes eye contact through the reflection on the mirror and sees Kris’ brows narrowing “Yes?” “Please put your hand elsewhere

 

 

The doe-eyed boy realizes that his hand was still where he had placed it and Stephanie seemed rather uncomfortable so he immediately retreats it and mumbles an apology to her, laughing sheepishly “Sorry, force of habit

 

 

I-it’s fine…” Stephanie mumbles and Yookyung fights back the urge to snigger.

 

 

When they reached the department floor, Kris didn’t waste any more time and immediately introduced the two to the people under them. Stephanie was going to be Yookyung’s right hand of some sort so it placed all else under her; Kris didn’t even make petty talk, no mention of flowering words, just plain introduction and instruction making sure that authority oozed out of every word he said and when all was done, the small group had entered Yookyung’s new office whereas the chairman left in a hurry.

 

 

Luhan breathes out a heavy sigh as he watched the closed door that Kris had gone out of “Tsk. Damn he has it hard” he mumbles more to himself but the others catch on. Stephanie turns to him “What do you mean?

 

 

Apparently Hana talked to him about the transfer yesterday and well he’s had it hard; she’s like making a choice between Seoul and China and he’s been trying hard not to be… selfish” and for Luhan, Kris was at it big time but hey the guy was trying atleast.

 

 

What’s the big deal if she chooses Seoul anyway?” Yookyung asks, sitting down on the chair behind her desk.

 

 

Meifen was quiet not wanting to into a conversation that the elites were having; Kris had asked her to stay behind and be of assistance to Luhan just in case.

 

 

It’ll spoil his plans… big time” he states

 

 

What plan?” Stephanie asks, curiosity getting the best of her and Luhan smirks. Should he tell? He might aswell and the three females standing in the room listened well.

 

 

The next words that came out of his mouth made Meifen’s eyes go wide and deny as she would, her heart broke whereas Stephanie and Yookyung had gone speechless. Luhan chuckles to himself, amused by the reactions he received.

 

 

That’s it… he has definitely gone insane” Yookyung concludes throwing her hands up in defeat.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Seoul

 

 

Two days later…

 

 

“Dear god she looks horrible” Suho cringes as he tears his eyes away from peeking at the small crack on Hana’s door; Kyungsoo crosses his arms letting out a sigh “She’s been crying, what do you expect?”

 

 

The CEO frowns as he pockets his hands. It’s been four days since her exam results came out and Tao’s been reviewing them along with the other members of the board –in other words the other bosses including Suho; DING. The two turn their heads and see Tao walking out of the elevator with a bright smile on his face “Hey guys, is Hana in?”

 

 

Kyungsoo presses a hand to his chest, stopping him and at the same time blocking his way to Hana’s office “What do you have there, Tao?” he asks, eying down on the envelope in his hand; Tao holds up the item “Oh this?” he smiles “It’s for Hana”

 

 

“Is that what I think it is?” Suho asks. Tao nods “Yeah, now if you’ll excuse me I have to talk to her” he tries to move aside but Kyungsoo blocks his path again “I don’t think now is a good time” “Why?” he pouts but Kyungsoo doesn’t answer. Tao tries to move again but Kyungsoo repeats his previous action, he continues to block the path thus this irritates the blonde head of the company’s fashion department “Aish! Do Kyungsoo, I swear if you don’t move I will wushu your out of my way”

 

 

CREEK. The door had opened and there stood a confused Hana by the doorway “Is… there something I can help you with?”

 

 

The other three look at her; Kyungsoo takes away his hand from Tao’s chest and Suho pockets his hands “I’ll be in my office” the CEO quietly says before disappearing.

 

 

“Ah, Hana! I wanted to talk to you” Tao innocently smiles; Hana glances at him then at Kyungsoo “And you sir?” “I just got done talking to Suho… so…” he quietly sighs “I’ll be going now”

 

 

“I see… well” Hana turns to Tao “Please come in, Mr. Huang”

 

 

She gives Kyungsoo a smile before walking back inside her office. Tao beams a glare at him to which he only rolls his eyes to and walks off.

 

 

Tao closes the door behind him before marching up to her desk however he doesn’t do anything, he doesn’t give her the envelope, he doesn’t sit down but all he does is just look at her and she doesn’t even notice because her eyes were focused on the paperwork on her desk… and he felt worried.

 

 

Tao.

 

 

Horrible. That is the sole word to describe this girl infront of me right now. Kim Hana looks horrible.

 

 

“Hana” I call out her name and it doesn’t even surprise me that the moment she looked up at me and I smiled at her, her eyes got filled with tears until such time they ran down her cheeks. Yes, ladies and gentlemen, Kim Hana cried infront of me for the very first time ever since I met her and I would say that I don’t know why but I do.

 

 

Somehow I find it a little adorable that when she had realized she was crying, she quickly turned away from me to wipe them off and attempted to fix her face “Oh god, I’m so sorry for that Mr. Huang; I don’t know what’s gotten into me”

 

 

I laugh “It’s okay, don’t worry about it… you must be having a hard time, huh?”

 

 

“Yeah” she sniffles, taking out a handkerchief from her blazer’s pocket and wipes the underside of her eyes “A lot of paperwork to finish and all, it’s been hectic” “Not that” I said. She gives me a confused look whereas I looked at her with knowing eyes. She flashed me a weak smile and nods “It’s really hard”

 

 

Sigh. Was it even a right move that I talked to her that night?

 

 

I can’t help but feel somewhat guilty that she’s been taking things hard these past days; what if she had already been having it hard before I talked to her and I only made it harder by telling her that she was being unfair? Hana’s always been the kind to make things right afterall, for sure she takes extra caution now than compared to before. I heaved a breath of air and walked around her desk, stopping beside her before bending down my upper body to embrace her from the side and the waterfall begins again.

 

 

Geez, Zitao, hugging people makes them cry more! But on the other hand, it’s better than just staring at her like some heartless jerk. I usually would think it’s ridiculous whenever I see these certain situations in dramas because I tend to think that people over react rather than just it up and make a choice, it all changed today though.

 

 

Is it really hard to make a choice though? It’s not like they’re gonna break up… then again perhaps I’m in no position to dictate my opinion of it right now.

 

 

Choices affect our futures afterall.

 

 

“Hey Tao…” her sniffles bring me back from my thoughts “Yes?”

 

 

“You think he’ll be mad at me?”

 

 

I snort unattractively, breaking the embrace so I could take a good look at my buddy’s clumsy girlfriend. She cracked a small smile at me “Now where have I heard of that line before?” I mumble before pulling her close again and rested my chin atop her head “All hell will break loose, Hana. I may aswell dig my own grave.”

 

 

She laughs rather weakly but I decide its better. Atleast.

 

 

When it was certain that she had calmed down, I broke away from her side and walked around her desk, taking my place before her and placed the envelope on her desk while she was busy wiping away the dry tears on her cheeks. She abruptly stops and looks up at me like a lost kid and I smile down at her

 

 

“Perhaps that could help you decide”

 

 

Hana.

 

 

The world seemed to have moved by slowly today but somehow, I made it through the office hours and had bid Suho that I was gonna go ahead. Thankfully, his schedules were done but he said he had to stay behind to finish a few more things and he let me off easily, not questioning me about anything because he probably knew how clouded my mind was at the moment.

 

 

I look horrible. I sniffle, staring back at my reflection on the elevator wall as I made my way down.

 

 

BEEP. An unknown number.

 

 

Hana, would you mind meeting me for dinner?

 

- x

 

 

Sigh. I may aswell… this could only belong to one person anyway.

 

 

Ofcourse not, ma’am. Where shall I meet you?

 

- Hana

 

 

BEEP. DING. I step out of the elevator and head out of the building, slipping myself inside my car before driving off to the address given.

 

 

Choices

 

 

They say that everything in life is a choice and those choices make us who we are. Our futures are all based on the decisions we make in the present time, whether we bask in glory or drown in misery in the days to come, everything that happens to our future is brought upon by the decisions we make.

 

 

But you’re probably wondering, right? Why is it so hard? You’re probably thinking that I should just choose Kris because everything will be fine as long as I’m beside him.

 

 

No, there are a lot of what ifs to be considered and at the bottom line of the long mental list that I have mind, at the very bottom is the question on everyone’s mind: Stay or go?

 

 

I slow the car down to a stop and as I arrive at the location of the meeting place. An Italian restaurant: a typical choice for sophisticated ladies living the good life. I give the keys to the valet before heading inside and stating the name of Kris’ grandmother but only to be confused when I was told that she made no bookings for the evening

 

 

“What? That can’t be, she sent me a text to meet her here”

 

 

“Hm… may I have your name, ma’am?” he asks and I state it; he goes through the list and his eyes lit up “Ah yes, Ms. Wu has been expecting you”

 

 

Ms. Wu? Stephanie? Yookyung? I was confused but still found myself following him as he led me to an isolated part of the restaurant. At a distance, I see someone sitting with their back turned to me and as we come nearer and nearer I swallowed hard as I recognized the person.

 

 

“Ms. Wu, Ms. Kim has arrived” the host informs the lady sitting and she turns around, catching my eye before standing up.

 

 

Hana… manners. I bow politely.

 

 

“Good evening, ma’am” I greet, putting on a small smile.

 

 

It wasn’t Kris’ grandmother, it was his aunt.