THIRTY SEVEN

Ah, Love

CHAPTER 37
 

 

 

 

 
 

 

 

 

 

China.

 

Stephanie hurries down the front steps of the Wu residence as soon as a sleek black cars pulls a stop and the door to the backseat opens; her eyes lit up as she immediately wraps her arms around her brother’s waist as he steps out of the vehicle. Kris gives her a brief embrace before they break the little moment and walk into the house, maids carrying his luggage.

 

Are you staying here for tonight, Yi Fan?” she asks him. He nods his head “I need to get things straightened out so I’ll be spending more nights here than the usual

 

The siblings enter through the door, walking into the living room area where Kris saw Chun and Sonya. His cousin gives him a smile that he returns before exchanging greetings with them; the atmosphere was quite nice as they welcomed the young Wu chairman.

 

How’s Hana?” Sonya asks, hooking her arm around her husband’s; Kris leans back on his seat “She’s doing fine; not even a tsunami can break her spirit” “That’s good to know” Chun says, relieved. Sonya stands up and turns to Stephanie “Stephanie, can you accompany me to the kitchen for a moment?

 

Ofcourse jie jie” the young girl answers; she gets up from her seat and follows Sonya to the kitchen leaving Kris and Chun to be alone.

 

Silence.

 

Kris.

 

I saw it coming and I most definitely know what’s happening next. The look on his face, the dismay and sympathy in his eyes, it’s very clear.

 

I’m really sorry, Yi Fan” he apologizes sincerely and I don’t need to question what it’s for because I clearly know why he’s doing it.
 
 

 

Though I honestly don’t see any reason why he’s in place to say or feel such things. The guilt in his voice is evident as if he’s the one who had committed wrong.

 

Then it surges through my veins, no it’s not relief nor is the most calming feeling in the world; it’s anger. My brows narrow almost involuntarily and my lips curve down into a frown.

 

Chun lowers his head “I’m really sorry” he apologizes once more but it only seemed to have added fuel to the fire. I can’t seem to remember the last time I have felt like this but I’m still in my right mind not to take it out on him, like I said… he’s not the one at fault here.

 

Stop apologizing” I tell him “Doing so doesn’t make the wrong right nor does it justify the suspect’s fault

 

He lifts his head, meeting my gaze once again before he lets out a breath “You’re right… but I just can’t help but feel like I’m responsible

 

But you’re not so don’t apologize

 

I really didn’t know it would have gotten that far, Yi Fan” he mumbles. My eyes trail from his to the staircase “How is your mother, Chun?

 

He follows my eyes and glances at the staircase for a moment or two before turning back to me “She’s actually been a little off, often in her room and dazing out at times

 

I see…” I get up from my seat; “Where are you going?

 

I’m going to take a rest… jet lag” I briefly explain before leaving the premises and head upstairs.

 

The hall was quiet, in fact, the whole Wu household was. A typical scene for such a large house, such a wide vast of space yet it can be so lifeless. I continue my way down the hall, walking past the door of my bedroom and instead stopping before another. I grab one of the handles and push it open, not bothering with a knock.

 

I told you not to disturb me” says the person sitting on a chair facing the large curtain covered window.

 

I step inside and close the door behind me; I flip another light switch bringing more light into the room and this seemed to have enraged the woman sitting; she shot up to her feet “What the hell are you d--?!” but then stops dead as our eyes met.

 

Y-Yi Fan…

 

And I could hear it; that little thing I have heard from a lot of people dozens to thousands to perhaps a million times already… fear.

 

 

 

TWO MONTHS LATER
 
 
 
 
“Okay, this isn’t right at all… he will freak out” Luhan frowns, closing the crack of the door of where he had peeked through to get a glimpse of the female –looking like she would pass out at any given moment- behind her desk, working through stacks of papers and frantically typing on her laptop. Kyungsoo lets out a breath; he leans back on the wall just beside the door “That is why we shouldn’t tell him anything”

 

 

Lay pockets his hands and suggests “Why don’t we just ask Suho to give Hana a day off or two?”

 

 

Kyungsoo shook his head in disagreement then explains how Hana would probably refuse the offer and suspect Kris to be behind it. Luhan’s face scrunches; he runs a hand through his hair and lets out a groggy sigh. He doesn’t know exactly why he had agreed –along with Kyungsoo and Yixing- to keep Kris from knowing about Hana’s overworking habit.

 

 

It’s been two months and it didn’t really help that her final exams were just around the corner. She’s been rather desperate in studying in great hopes of passing it and having her transfer to China.

 

 

The door to Hana’s office opens, her eyes blinking in surprise at her three bosses that were hanging around. She bowed in respects and greeted them before asking if they needed anything; Luhan gives her a disapproving look “May I have a word with you, Ms. Kim?”

 

 

“Luhan…” Kyungsoo starts but the doe-eyed boy shoots him a displeased look “No Kyungsoo, she needs to hear this”

 

 

Gulp. Hana nods her head, her heart suddenly raced as she realized that Luhan was not happy at all and with this she begun to rack her thoughts for reasons why; had she done something wrong? Had she missed to do an errand that he asked her to do? Did she forget something that caused him delay? What could it be? Hana… you are in trouble! The three file inside her office, Lay and Kyungsoo were there just to make sure Luhan doesn’t go anywhere out of line, they had known their friend –despite his calm nature- could go overboard at times.

 

 

The door closes and Luhan begins “Hana, this is wrong”

 

 

Confused, she tilts her head to the side and blinks her eyes “Sir?”

 

 

“What Luhan means is that…” Lay speaks, placing a hand on Luhan’s shoulder “You’re working too much and it’s not good; Hana, you’re neglecting your health”

 

 

Realizing the reason behind Luhan’s little fit, Hana’s lips curve into a warm smile making her doe-eyed boss hang his head low in defeat “Ugh… I give up”; Kyungsoo smiles at the response that the female gave his colleague. He walks over to the two and pat their backs  
 
 

 

“Alright, I’ll take it from here”

 

 

Lay nods and guides Luhan out of the office leaving the two to talk. If there was anyone else that could talk to Hana well, it was Kyungsoo. As soon as the door had closed once again, Kyungsoo turns to Hana casting a smile that could pass for an apology although she doesn’t really know what was there to apologize about.

 

 

“Kyungsoo –sir, I –“

 

 

“Hana…” he gestures for her to sit down. Breathing out heavily, they both take their respective seats on the two visitors chair before her desk.

 

 

Once seated comfortably, Kyungsoo crosses his legs; arms resting on the arm rest as the look on his face turn serious thus making her nervous. Hana presses her lips in a thin line, gently lowering her head and mumbles a quiet sorry. I must have made them worried. She thinks to herself; she definitely knew better than to make others worry over her welfare.

 

 

“We know that you’ve been working very hard, Hana; balancing work and school is no joke but it’s not exactly enough of a reason to push your body past its limits… look at you” his brows narrow in disapproval as she suddenly feels self-conscious “You’ve been skipping lunch often, you’ve lost weight; think of what Kris will say if he sees you”

 

 

She swallows hard “H-he’d probably think I’m ugly now, won’t he?” she tries to joke but Kyungsoo didn’t seem up for it at the moment.

 

 

“No” he firmly says “He would be mad and he would probably blame himself for not checking in on you often”

 

 

Guilt churns in her stomach and another apology dances off her lips. Finally taking it as a sign that he had made her understand, his look softens “Hana” he calls her name and she looks up “Why don’t you take a rest tomorrow, relax and have an easy review?”

 

 

“No!” she waves bother her hands infront of her in rejection “Mr. Kim’s schedule is packed for tomorrow and there’s only three days before my finals, I have to get everything done before then and not only that but –“

 

 

“It’s just for a day, Hana… we’ll find someone to fill in for you tomorrow”

 

 

“But…”

 

 

“No buts”

 

 

“Kyungsoo –“

 

 

“It’s that or we’re gonna tell Kris”

 

 

She pouts at the threat and gives in “Fine”

 

 

Triumphant, he smiles and gets up from his chair. Hana does the same and was about to walk back to her chair behind her desk when he grabs her by the arm and pulls her to the door “Sir, I have to finish –“

 

 

“It’s lunch time already, Ms. Kim… no skipping”

 

 

Chanyeol.

 

 

Boring. Well, actually, no… it’s quite a busy day today. Everyday has been a busy day here at Wu Enterprise since the end of the fashion summit but amidst it all, I just can’t help but feel bored as fu – “Hey Chanyeol” Sehun comes through my office door, his eyes busy on a folder as he doesn’t even spare me a glance. Rude.

 

 

“What do you want?” I ask, swiveling around in my chair, my hands busy fiddling with a pencil.

 

 

Still he doesn’t look up, not even as he sits down on the visitor’s chair “Just wanted to ask if you have any idea on the expense cost for the video feeds back in Jeju, I need it” he closes the folder and finally looks up with a blank look on his face.

 

 

“Nope, try asking the finance department” I answer nonchalantly. I’m just really bored today.

 

 

He puffs out a breath and leans back on the chair making himself comfortable; he stretches his arms over his head “I need a break”

 

 

“Don’t we all?”

 

 

Silence falls upon the room making my face scrunch. Being bored and alone in my room was one thing but having someone around just gives me an uncomfortable feeling. I toss the pencil onto my desk and turn to Sehun –he certainly didn’t seem like he would be leaving soon.

 

 

“Yah…” he raised a brow at me “Don’t you have to do somewhere else?”

 

 

“Nope” he pops the p. Sehun brings his locked hands behind his head.

 

 

It only brings me two options: leave or kick him out. The first option seems ideal but then again this is my office, why should I leave? Add to the fact that I really have no plans on leaving my chair since I’m too lazy to do so. The second option would take effort and would require me to get up from my chair since I doubt words would make him leave and like I said, I’m feeling lazy.

 

 

Bored and lazy… bad combination.

 

 

“Am I making you uncomfortable?” he asks, his lips pursed in a thin line.

 

 

“Honestly…” I scratch the bridge of my nose “Yes… very, actually”

 

 

“Good”

 

 

Aish. This kid. Silence falls upon us both again, the little continues his merry way of making me uncomfortable and I stare at him –or more like glaring- in hopes that it would make him get up and leave but I was obviously feeling.

 

 

“I hope you suffer my discomfort one day, Oh Sehun” I tell him but he seemed rather unfazed and even smirked cockily “One day but not today, hyung”

 

 

“Hmph” I huff. I guess I should just make conversation; it would beat awkward silences at any day anyway. “So… a lot is happening”

 

 

“Yup” he pops the p again but thankfully flows with the talk “Hana’s exams are in three days and Tao’s final evaluation of her is in a week”

 

 

“You think she’ll pass?” I ask, curious of his opinion on the matter. He thinks for a moment then shrugs his shoulder “Eh… she could then again the tides could turn and she could fail”

 

 

True… she could fail. The possibilities seemed rather endless but life is life, sometimes no matter how much one strives, it would never be enough and the next thing we know, life is grabbing hold of our legs and slamming our body on concrete. Pretty harsh but it’s a reality. It’s unfair.

 

 

“What do you think Kris would do if she fails?” I ask.

 

 

“I don’t know” he mumbles “He’ll be disappointed though, I can tell but it’s not like he can do anything about it; I doubt Hana will allow him to just transfer her” he snaps his fingers “just like that”

 

 

“True”

 

 

“But hey, if she passes then Ling will be Suho’s PA and here comes another love story, eck!” he makes a sickened face; I laugh at the expression, he probably feels out of it. Bosses falling inlove with employees, I mean… I’d never get myself in that situation.

 

 

I glance at my watch and get up “Well, I’m going out for lunch”

 

 

“Oh! Come on, treat me food!” he jumps up from his seat. Rolling my eyes, I shook my head at him and he pouts tugging on my sleeve “Come on! You never treat me out to food!”

 

 

“Fine, fine, sheesh”

 

 

Hana.

 

 

Here I am, stuck at home because apparently I’m banned from the office just for today. Sigh.

 

 

“Atleast I get to do this…” I smile to myself, flipping on the page of the recipe book as I followed the procedures to making the perfect batch of chocolate chip cookies. It’s not everyday that I get to make pastries anyway, it’s usually just when the boys come over or special occasions happen.

 

 

Ding. Dong.

 

 

My ears perk up at the sound and immediately I put down the spatula and bowl, washing up my hands and wiping them dry on my apron as I run for the door. My eyes fall on the small screen of the security lock and see a woman on our doorstep. She’s unfamiliar… hm. I press my finger and speak “Yes?”

 

 

She looks at the camera and gives a smile; I could tell she was aged but her face was clearly beautiful “Kim Hana?” she asks. I raise a brow “Erm… yes, who are you?”

 

 

“I’m Yi Fan’s grandmother…” my eyes widen in surprise and for some reason, my heart pounded as my cheeks burned up. “I wanted to speak with you, Ms. Kim”

 

 

I swallow hard “J-just a sec”

 

 

Taking a deep breath and calming my palpitating heart, I unlocked the door and opened it, finally coming face to face with a person who was indeed… Kris’ grandmother.

 

 

And I tell you, she screams luxury.
 

 

AUTHOR’S NOTE:
                Hello everyone! I am so very sorry that I have only given you an update now but if you haven’t heard, my laptop got broken and all my files were there. Until now it still hasn’t been returned. Anyway, the next updates will take another while. I will post them as soon as I get my baby back. I bet you’re wondering how I wrote this though; I borrowed my friend’s laptop yesterday and typed it there, saved the file onto a USB and here I am, inside an internet café posting this update.
Kekeke ~ will go on an update spree as soon as I get my laptop back!