THIRTY NINE

Ah, Love

CHAPTER 39

 

 

 

 

 

 

The afternoon has finally settled; Tao checks his watch, three minutes before four. He looks up and smiles, spotting Hana going out of the front doors of the scholastic institution. He waves at her and she gives him a wondering look, advancing towards where he was.

 

 

“I thought you were in Belgium?” she blinks her eyes; Tao grins and opens the passenger door of his car for her “Perks of having a private jet”

 

 

She shakes her head with a laugh before entering the vehicle. Tao does the same and they strap themselves in their respective seats “So, how were your exams?” he asks. Hana takes a deep breath in and heavily breathes out “It was fine… no, scratch that it was hard, I got confused with some questions” she groans, burying her face in her hands.

 

 

Tao laughs and starts up the engine “What’s important is you tried your best. When are the results coming out?”

 

 

“In three days” he drives off, speeding away from the school “I hope I pass”

 

 

“Eh, you probably will”

 

 

“How do you know?” she asks, raising a brow at him and he laughs, stealing a quick glance before putting his whole focus on the road “Chen said you read a whole book; I’m confident you’ll pass”

 

 

She smiles then asks where they were going. Tao briefly explains how they were going to get some dinner outside before he takes her home “Kris said to treat you to something after your exams”

 

 

Beep. She pulls out her phone from her pocket and speaking of the devil… her heart flutters as she sees his name and opens the message that he had sent:

 

 

Did you do well? Ofcourse you did, so as a reward don’t question it.

If only it could be me but I hope to see you soon; stay safe.

 

- Kris

 

 

“Kris?” Tao asks, taking a turn; Hana nods “Yeah, you miss him, Tao?”

 

 

He chuckles “Ofcourse I do… to be honest, I’m still getting used to not seeing him everyday at the office” he slows down the car, eventually coming to a stop as he parks up infront of a restaurant. Hana unbuckles her seatbelt and gets out of the car. The car beeps in lock at the press of a button and the two march up to the front doors “But…” Tao starts as the door is opened for them “Kris is Kris, he’s unpredictable and business is business”

 

 

“True” she nods in agreement.

 

 

They were led to one of the tables and given the menus to order, she let Tao do most of the ordering. It had been awhile since she’s actually hung out with Tao, following so much of the work after the fashion summit his schedules had been constricted, actually all of their schedules were. She sometimes felt a little bothered that they had to spare time to check on her sometimes even thinking of telling Kris not to order them around about anything that had to do with her.

 

 

“How are you, Tao?” she asks, a gentle smile on her face.

 

 

He laughs; the waiter bows and leaves the two of them for awhile “Ah, I’m fine Hana… I should ask you that, I heard from Luhan that you’ve been overworking yourself” Hana sighs, muttering to the side how Luhan wasn’t suppose to say such things. She turns to Tao “Luhan was just over exaggerating, I’m good and besides, I dislike it when things aren’t settled, it’s bothersome”

 

 

“Still, over working is bad”

 

 

She laughs –the food arrives- “Look who’s talking” he rolls his eyes.

 

 

Aside from Kyungsoo, Tao was someone she found as the easiest to talk to for some unexplained reason; maybe because he was close to Kris or because his watchful eye on her was father-like, whatever reason it may be, she was at ease around him the most. “Say Tao…” “Hm?” he sips on his drink. Hana pokes a berry on her plate as she then speaks “Tell me about Kris”

 

 

“Don’t you already know everything?” he asks her but she shook her head “No, actually it’s embarrassing but I really don’t have much knowledge of his basics”

 

 

“Basics? You mean like how his real name is actually Wu Yi Fan and not Kris?”

 

 

The expression of looking dumbfounded on her face answered his question. He chuckles “You really didn’t know?” she shook her head, scratching the back of her neck “I thought they just call him that… Wow, how many more don’t I know?”

 

 

“Probably more than what you think” he shrugs “Gege is pretty hard to read with his subtle façade and –excuse the language”

 

 

“Considering you’ve known him far longer than me, too…”

 

 

He shrugs “Well you have things you know that I don’t like how he is in bed or something” he laughs seeing her fluster, Hana pouts “You didn’t have to mention that” “Sorry… he’s a good friend, Hana; the closest thing to a brother actually”

 

 

“Did you guys ever fight?” she asks, taking a spoonful of rice. Tao nods his head “Ofcourse, that’s unavoidable… it’s a little frustrating actually but we always find our way in the end, the important thing is to always work it out”

 

 

She smiles and silence falls upon them for a moment.

 

 

“Tao…” he looks up from his plate “You think he’ll be mad at me?”

 

 

“Why would he be mad at you?”

 

 

“Remember that uhm… thing about Cube offering me a job?” Tao nods. Hana takes a breath “Apparently, Cube was under new management at that time but it just so happens that they were so discreet about it that no one knew about anyone buying the company”

 

 

Tao’s face scrunches a bit; he was getting confused as to where this was going “So what are you trying to say?”

 

 

“Listen for a sec…” she puts down the silverware “Kris’s grandmother bought Cube”

 

 

The Chinese businessman across her blinks his eyes, his thoughts still in a rumble as he tries to figure exactly what she was trying to say or get at. Hana clears “She’s the one who sent an application letter under my name and her offer stands but Tao, please, please, please do not tell Kris”

 

 

Silence.

 

 

“What?” that is the biggest piece of bull, I’ve ever heard. He thinks to himself.

 

 

Kris.

 

 

Morning.

 

 

Ugh. My head hurts… I would say that I would push the covers away but I’m not in bed. I had fallen asleep on the couch inside of my office. Yes, I didn’t go home last night because unfortunately, paperwork stacked up and deadlines had to be met which is preposterous considering I, Wu Yi Fan, do not and is not given deadlines.

 

 

Bull. Heaving a sigh, I sat up and grabbed my suit’s jacket laying by the arm rest before putting on my shoes, I was just about to leave when a knock came on the door and Meifen came in “O-oh, good morning Mr. Wu” she bows. I rub my eyes with one hand, the other swinging the jacket over one shoulder.

 

 

Morning” I mumble and head for the door. Meifen steps aside and I exit; she presses the tab onto her chest, a fluster on her cheeks.

 

 

I would say she’s strange but if she thinks I’m naïve not to know or notice the looks she gives me then she’s wrong because I can read a woman a mile away. Working all those years at Wu Enterprise and having several to hundreds of female employees professing their undying love, how can I not learn how to read women? Not to mention that my friends are a bunch of Casanovas and deem themselves love experts or like that.

 

 

As per routine, she gives me an overview of my schedule for the day.

 

 

Cancel my eight thirty, I have to get home first” I grumble as she follows me towards the elevator; it’s seven thirty on my watch and I’d rather not go meet a bunch of other people in a meeting room than be late. It’s just a stock meeting anyway… sigh.

 

 

U-understood, sir…

 

 

Ding. I step into the elevator and press a button, leaving her.

 

 

Beep.

 

 

Good morning Fanfan! Wake up and have breakfast, okay?

P.S. The guys miss you already

P.P.S. Count me too.

 

- Hana

 

 

Fanfan? I raise a brow at the nickname, one side of my lips tugging upward because it honestly sounded… ah , am I really gonna say this? Cute. I felt a shiver run down my spine at the thought of the word and involuntarily bit back my lower lip as I typed a quick reply of cheese –by that I mean: I miss you too and we’ll see each other soon

 

 

Ding.

 

 

The doors open to the underground parking lot and I step out of the four walled compartment, heading straight for my car. Sigh, where did the days go? I suddenly miss the eleven kids running around and about, sometimes barging into my office without notice or if they feel like it, block. It’s been two months already and I haven’t gotten the chance to fly in and hang around; in a way, I’m thankful that Hana pushes me to spend time with them or arrange surprise food appointments with them minus her because now that I think of it, it’s a rare occasion.

 

 

I drive out of the vicinity, speeding through the streets with the eagerness to get home and take a nice long shower before hitting the office again.

 

 

Putting on the wireless Bluetooth earpiece, I made a quick dial of a number onto my phone, taking advantage of the red light. The other line rang for a while, my fingers drumming on the steering wheel as I waited for the light to turn green

 

 

“Hello?”

 

 

“Luhan, it’s me… how are you?”

 

 

Luhan cackles laughter on the other line “Did you bump your head or something? Why the sudden call of how are you?” the light turns green and I resume driving. A sigh escapes me lips “What? I can’t casually call my colleague and ask how is going?”

 

 

“Psh” and as of this moment, I could picture him rolling his eyes at me “Sometimes, I wonder if Hana bringing out your sensitive side was a good thing or a bad thing but for the heck of it, I’m fine and I’m actually at the airport right now”

 

 

“And you are going where?”

 

 

Luhan.

 

 

I pull my suitcase along as I walked inside the airport, phone pressed on my ear. A smile was plastered on my face as Ling tailed not far behind me, staying quiet as I was talking to the chairman “And you are going where?”

 

 

Should I tell? I probably shouldn’t. I glance over at Ling as she taps a finger on her wristwatch, probably telling me that my flight was soon and that I need to wrap the call “Overseas, as always” I sigh, stopping on my tracks for a moment “But really though, what made you call?” I got goosebumps when he asked me how I was, that was totally unexpected.

 

 

“Really, I just wanted to check on you and the guys” I laugh “And you called me? What am I, mother goose? Because I’m pretty sure Suho fits the role more than me” he laughs and that, ladies and gentleman, is another rare thing that Kris Wu does that I have yet to fully adjust to. Hana! What have you done to our cold big boss?!

 

 

I check my watch “Idiot, listen I gotta go… look after Hana, okay?” Mental face palm, did he seriously just forget that I am going out of the country? Eitherway, I don’t argue, the story would drag on all day if I do and I know better than all fo people how stubborn he could be to make his point win “Yeah, yeah, me too and uh by the way about Hana”

 

 

“Yeah?”

 

 

A little teasing wouldn’t hurt “She’s gonna fail… hard

 

 

“You motherfu –“ “Bye!” Beep.

 

 

I quickly set my phone on airplane mode, laughing to myself, I might aswell take advantage of the fact that he’s soft today and . It was mean but oh to hell, I’ve done worst. I pocket my phone, taking a deep breath as I turn to Ling with a smile and she responds with the same facial gesture “Be careful” she says and I give a nod “You too, try not to miss me too much, okay?”

 

 

She laughs but nonetheless nods her head “I hope everything will become easier”

 

 

“Don’t worry, it will be… Suho knows what he’s doing” I give her a brief hug of goodbye before finally parting ways. I give one last glance back at her and a wave my hand.

 

 


 

 

Kris exits the vehicle, heaving a heavy sigh as he cracks his neck side to side to release the stiffened muscles. With heavy and tired steps, he enters the Wu residence quickly giving his jacket to a maid that had approached him; the house was quiet as always but something seemed off and just as he was about to brush off the feeling, he saw suitcases by the staircase.

 

 

The young Wu chairman raises a brow at the odd scene, wondering who it belonged to.

 

 

Yi Fan, where were you last night?” Stephanie’s voice resonates through the room. He looks up and meets her gaze as she descended the steps, he met her halfway “I stayed late in the office… are those yours?” he points.

 

 

She looks at the suitcases, her brows scrunching together. Nope, not hers definitely. He thinks to himself before letting out a sigh and walked past his sister; he could care less, really… he needed a nice shower and he needed it now. He had an empire to run and someone leaving this house was the least of his concerns, it’s not like he had control over their lives anyway.

 

 

As he entered his room, he quickly shut the doors and walked towards the bathroom leaving behind him a trail of clothes. Everything felt heavy at the moment; it felt as if he was carrying the world on his shoulders.

 

 

Work, duties, priorities, stress and longing. The things he would give to have a certain someone within arm’s reach at the moment, to have someone wrap their arms around him and just smile and listen to him complain, to have that someone lay down beside him at night.

 

 

Hana…

 

 

He breathes out; feeling the comforting drops of water hit his head and body as he leans his arm on the wall along with his head.

 

 

He closes his eyes picturing a certain smile; eyes that always looked at him in great adornment, cheeks that he always has been fond of pecking on, her neck that would often times be marked with so many purple bruises… . Not now. He groans feeling blood suddenly rush to a certain region “…” he cusses, weakly reaching for one of the shower knobs and adjusting the water from lukewarm to full on cold.

 

 

Just as he was about to reach for something else, the door of the bathroom flies open. Kris’ eyes widen as he quickly pushes himself off the wall and stares at the intruder. “Hey Kris, I’m –

 

 

Damn it, Yookyung!” he yells covering his nether region with his hands considering that the shower stall glass was full on transparent glass. His cousin raises a brow before scoffing in a mocking manner to the side, simply not bothered by the fact that she had just walked in on her oh-so powerful cousin while he was taking a shower and is currently - “Oh please…” she crossed her arms “I’ve seen better

 

 

Kris glares at her and growls, obviously angered that his peace was disrupted “What the do you want that you had to walk in on me?!”

 

 

Who, chill ~ I just wanted to say that I’m back as per your request, dear cousin

 

 

Awkward silence.

 

 

That’s ing it?!

 

 

She hums, lifting a pointing finger and tapping it thoughtfully on her cheek before grinning “Yeah, pretty much!” “Get the out!” he yells at her. Heaving a sigh, she shakes her head and shrugs, doing as he says and slams the bathroom door. Once left alone, Kris runs a hand through his now damp hair with a low groan but not a moment too soon, harsh knocks land on the door “What?!” he shouts.

 

 

Can’t a man have some peace and quiet in his life, ing hell! He mentally cries to himself.

 

 

I don’t know what Hana sees in you!” Yookyung yells from the other side of the door “You’re is the same back as when we were kids!

 

 

Feeling a little bomb go off in his brain, he smirks “She can’t walk properly after our deeds, so yeah thanks for the compliment, !

 

 

Silence follows and Kris knew he had won. One loud knock is sent to the door “You win this round, Yi Fan!” and footsteps leaving follow. Finally, peace.

 

 

 

Seoul.

 

 

 

Kai tosses the folders onto his table, leaning back on his leather seat, rubbing his eyes with his thumb and forefinger feeling tired from all the paperwork that has been coming in his office. A knock resonates through the space “Come in” he says.

 

 

“Good morning, Mr. Kim” came the voice of his PA. He looks up at her and she smiles at him, normally he would give her a smirk and tell her to shut the door –most especially when he’s stressed out- but recently he’s been feeling a little off. Don’t get him wrong, even with his liking for Hana then, he still had his fair share of one night stands and play-s; Kai sighs and throws his head back to stare at the ceiling “Stressed out, sir?”

 

 

She walked behind his chair, her hands resting on the temples of his head and began to slowly massage in circular motions. He closed his eyes “Stop…” he says in a commanding voice and the female does so. His brows knit together and he hunches forward onto his table “Get out”

 

 

“Mr. Kim –“

 

 

“Get out or you’re fired” he growls.

 

 

Afraid, the female bows politely and exits the premises of his office. What’s wrong with me? He asks himself, pounding his hand on his desk in frustration. Ring. Ring. He lifts his head and glares at the phone. Ring. Ring. He was about to pick it up but then decides to leave it be until such time it went through voice mail

 

 

“Yah, I know you’re in… answer the goddamn phone”

 

 

Ugh. He picks up the phone and lazily holds it against his ear “I’m not in the mood, Sehun” “Neither am I, so shall we get bubbletea?”

 

 

Jongin squints his eyes at the clock by his door “It’s nine in the freaking morning” Sehun humphs on the other line “Bubbletea chooses no time, get your up, I’ll treat you” “I’ll pass” he breathes out, leaning back on his chair once more. On the other line, Sehun raises a brow and sniggers “What’s with you? Wait…” he pauses “Is it because of that girl? Kris’s PA in China?”

 

 

“Shut up” but his response only made Sehun cackle in laughter “Aha! So it is her! Damn, you’re ed Jongin ~ long distance relationships are an ” “It’s not her!”

 

 

“Pft, not her, my … You need a doctor because you are sick… love sick”

 

 

Kai didn’t know, was it because he had drunk his coffee too fast this morning or because of Sehun’s disgustingly sappy choise of words but he wanted to puke “You sicken me”

 

 

“I pity you, peasant... well, my offer stands on the bubble tea until ten thirty” the call ends.

 

 

As he puts down the phone, the door bursts open to his office and Baekhyun waltzes in “Yo!” he hollers. Kai mentally slaps his face; he was getting irritated by such little things today, heck he could beat a girl on her period. “What do you want, Baekhyun?”

 

 

The latter stops before his paper-clad desk, his pretty fingers resting on the surface as he leaned his weight down on them “Someone’s grumpy today… smile a little, you might get uglier than you already are” Baekhyun sniggers but Kai was least amused by his joke. Jongin presses his lips in a thin line and decides to just distract himself with paperwork “I’m not in the mood, Baek… I got lots to get done if it isn’t obvious”

 

 

“Oh it’s obvious alright” Baekhyun says and rolls his eyes at him; something was up with the Casanova and he could feel it at the tips of his beautiful God-given fingers “So…” the diva-ish shareholder of Wu Enterprise casually sits half his on Jongin’s desk “How are things with Kris’ PA?”

 

 

Kai scoffs bitterly “We’re nothing”

 

 

“Then why do you sound so disappointed?” “I don’t” Kai defends but Baekhyun smirks “Deny all you want, you don’t fool me Kim Jongin… you are in deep Kkaebssong ” Baekhyun crosses his arms and shook his head at the younger lad.

 

 

Kai sighs in defeat. Baekhyun hops off his table “Well, Suho calls for all of us to be in the meeting room in ten minutes” he heads for the door, smirking to himself as he turns back to Kai “I don’t know if you think I’m stupid but I know you got her number on your phone… just call, it’s not like you can’t afford long distance calls anyway” and with that, he makes his leave making sure to shut the door.

 

 

. He thinks.

 

 

For the next moment, Kai tries to re evaluate himself and comes to a conclusion that he had not been this way before. Not even with Hana and he hated every second he was feeling it. The feeling was frustratingly indescribable. He punches himself mentally as he picks up his smart phone, a wash of disbelief pouring over his head as he presses call and holds it against his ear biting down on his lower lip

 

 

Hello?

 

 

Hey, it’s me

 

 

Hana.

 

 

I sat inside the quiet café, patiently waiting for a certain someone to arrive. My heart has been pounding since this morning when I woke up. I’m not supposed to be hear actually, Suho has a meeting with the other bosses today –Luhan excluded since he had to go somewhere- but he spared me a few hours and had Ling stand in my shoes.

 

 

Sigh. I pick up my cup of iced coffee and take a long sip, silently praying that it eases my nerves.

 

 

The café bell rings and I turn my head, immediately getting up and bow as Kris’s grandmother arrives. She smiles at me and tells me to take a seat, once comfortable she speaks. The conversation started with the usual ‘how are yous’ then slowly progressed to work related topics… specifically, her offer.

 

 

“So, have you thought about it?” she asks and I nod my head.

 

 

I’ve been thinking about it since we last talked and sometimes, it got a little unpleasant. The reason why I started to think twice about the deal I made with Kris was because she shed more light on the subject of boss-employee romance, even though I knew about its dark side, she had fully explained to me an even darker abyss. It could affect not only Kris’ personal reputation but that of the company aswell and ofcourse, I didn’t want to cause any harm to him or his business. Her offer to take me into cube was tempting because it meant saving Kris and I from explaining ourselves one day and all other hassles, in other words… her offer was the easiest way out of the possible future problems.

 

 

“My exam results are coming out in a few days, ma’am… I’ve thought hard about it but I still haven’t made up my mind” I cast an almost apologetic smile and she returns it with one of understanding. I breathed out silently in relief “Ofcourse dear, I’ll respect whatever decision you make… rest assured that I will”

 

 

“Thank you, ma’am… um… have you… talked to Kris?”

 

 

She chuckles and shakes her head “No dear, not yet… I think now is not the best time”

 

 

“Ah, I see…” I say not wanting to annoy her and awkwardly sip on my drink. I felt my cheeks burning when I felt her stare at me with a smile, it was making me feel self-conscious “I like you, Hana…” she says; I fluster and meet her eyes “You remind me of my daughter”

 

 

To be told such things by a woman that’s a big part of Kris’ life… it’s probably the best thing. It is. I smiled.