NINETEEN

Ah, Love

 

CHAPTER 19


 


 


 

News spreads like wildfire.

In a short span of three hours, the news of the passing of Wu Prime's former chairman was made known to the world. Media reports and articles were published but despite it all, the Wu Family kept their lips intact. None made any comment.

Hana closes the door to Kris's condo. She turns around and watches as the tall guy makes his way towards the bed room with slow, heavy steps. He hasn't spoken a word ever since she appeared in the hospital, all he did was just let his tears out; he didn't question how and why she was there, he wasn't thinking straight –too drowned with loss.

She bit back her lower lip. She knew that Kris was not supposed to find out, she can't lie her way out of it if ever he questions her presence and Stephanie and Xiumin would get scolded... all the more, she just broke a promise. His dad had specifically told her not to let him know.

But given the happenings, she just dropped everything, crossed the lines and broke chains because... Kris needed her. The aftermath, the consequences didn't fly across her thoughts, all she knew then was that he needed her.

Technically speaking, she was fulfilling a request from the chairman too.

Hana... he needs you right now. That's all. Just be here right now. He stops by the doorway of the bedroom and leans against the wall.

She's never seen him this way before and seeing him like this now was heartbreaking. Then she reminds herself that Kris is only human too. Cold as he is, he still has a heart.

“Kris...” she calls out to him with a smile on her face. He doesn't turn around though but just stands there. She puts her bag down on the couch as she passes the living room and approaches him. She walks around and stops infront of him, he looked so lost in his thoughts that he didn't even lift his head to look at her. Cautiously, she raises her hands and cups his face gently.

He flinches a bit and blinks his eyes, now looking at her “Take a nap, I'll wake you up when I finish cooking lunch... okay?” she tells him. Kris looks at her for a moment, swallowing hard before slowly nodding his head and she leads him to the bed, taking off his blazer and tie before guiding him under the sheets.

She spots his phone on the inside pocket of his blazer and takes it, making her way out of the room;

XIUMIN

She presses call and held the phone against her ear; since her phone wasn't set on roaming, she couldn't use it. Sigh. Pick up...

Kris!” she bit her lower lip “Minseok-ah, it's me...” “H-Hana?”

“I'm sorry... I couldn't help it b-but don't worry, I'll be the one to explain to him why I'm here, you'll be okay, I promise it's just that... I couldn't help seeing him alone”

Xiumin was quiet on the other line for a moment then lets out a breath; he smiles to himself on the other line “Nah, it's okay... you did good, Hana... you did good” she wipes away a tear and takes a deep breath “I'll have to cancel on the flight, please tell Suho that I'll make up for it”

Sure... but where are you right now?”

“At Kris's condo... he's asleep” she says, glancing over her shoulder for a brief moment and sees the figure lying down with his back her “I'll grab my things at the hotel later on”

How is he?”

She bit back her lower lip “He's fine... I think” “Well, since you're there just be with him for awhile... Tao and Lay will be flying there tonight” Hana nods her head “Okay...”

Stay strong Hana, just keep smiling and everything will be okay” Xiumin says in an encouraging tone and she nods her head once more. After exchanging goodbyes they end the call.

Chanyeol.

It's like a time bomb just went off.

Everyone in the company was a buzz as word of the chairman's passing arrived; everyone but us. After Sonya called Suho earlier and told him about the tragedy that struck, the CEO gathered us all and passed it on. I didn't know what to do, how was I supposed to react or what I was supposed to say.

No words could be said.

“...yeol? Chanyeol. Yah!” Baekhyun snaps his fingers infront of my face, bringing my attention to him. He lets out a heavy breath; I look around me and remember that we were at the lobby as Suho was about to make a formal announcement to the hungry press.

Cameras were rolling and flashing as they waited. The CEO was still not here but the rest of the bosses were; “You're dazing off” Baekhyun says. I let out a quiet breath and look around, my eyes squinting a bit whenever a flash went off “Sorry... just... just a little shocked”

“Still?” He raises an annoyed brow. “Calm down, Baekhyun...” Kyungsoo –who was standing on my other side- tells him whilst keeping his gaze directly at the reporters “Everyone copes in their own way”

Baekhyun scoffs to the side, obviously annoyed right at the moment. “Stupid reporters...” he grumbles under his breath “So hungry for ty news... tsk”

Ding. The sound of the elevator captures the attention of the mass and everyone turns their head, the flashes became more wild as Suho steps out. Let's get this over with... atleast, after they get what they want, they'll leave the Wu Family to grieve in peace.

“Do well, hyung” I pat his shoulder as he passes and he gives me a brief smile before walking to the podium that was set up; he taps the mic with his finger and clears his throat; the noise tones down to murmurs and clicks. I glance over at Kai –he was just as lost in his thoughts as Lay beside him.

What is running through your head, right now, Jongin?

Suho clears his throat.

Earlier this morning, we received grave news from China. The former chairman and the father of the former CEO and now successor of Wu Prime, has passed away due to health reasons”

He pauses for a moment, taking a deep breath. If he spoke further, his voice would have cracked.

Wu Enterprise Seoul extends the deepest condolences to the Wu family. We hope everyone gives them the privacy they need in these times; we will not be answering questions”

And he quickly steps off; Chen goes to his side and accompanies him away, giving comforting pats in the back as Suho had his head held low and I assumed that he was crying. In a line, we exited while security blocks off the media, who despite hearing that we will not be answering anything, still raised questions.


 

I was on my way to my office.

“Yeol” I whipped my head around and saw Chen approaching “Hey Jongdae...” I merely mumble in a whisper. As soon as he reached me, we both began to walk together. He puffs out a breath “Suho's worried about Kris” he starts “...so am I, who knows what that guy will do”

Sigh. I think we're all worried. “Does Hana know?”

He smirks “She's already in China...” Huh? I raise a brow “That fast?” “She's been there since yesterday, according to Minseok”

So that's why I haven't seen her all day yesterday. “That's good to know... he needs her” Chen nods in agreement. I open the door to my office and we both enter, he closes the door “How's Kai?” I ask him. He pockets his hands and returns a question “What about him?”

“I mean... with what's been happening between the three of them and all, you think it's crystal clear to him now?”

The situation at the moment seems like the good time to really do call it quits. I understand his feelings towards Hana but as heartbreaking as it may be, this makes it pretty clear that she is and most likely never will leave Kris's side. Chen shrugs “Maybe but... I don't think Kai is thinking of his own feelings right now”

True. I puff out a breath and sat down behind my desk, leaning my head back and stared at the ceiling. True... indeed.

Hana.

I set down the tray of food on the bedside table; my eyes catching a glimpse of the framed family photo beside a photo of us. I swallow the lump in my throat and sit on the side of the bed, the mattress dipping a little because of the weight.

“Kris...” I gently shook him. His back was turned to me, his eyes closed yet I was not sure if he really was asleep or just pretending to be. I shook him again “Kris, lunch is waiting” I put a small smile onto my face and he slowly shifts. He pushes the thick sheets off his upper body and sits up but doesn't say anything.

As I was about to pick up the tray, he grabs my wrist abruptly thus I turn back to him, looking at him with questioning eyes. He looks at me for a moment then wraps his arms around me, pulling me for a hug.

Sigh. I bit my lower lip to keep it from quivering. “Do you want to eat now?” I ask, trying to break off the silence and ease the atmosphere. He shook his head and stayed still once more. Kris wasn't the powerful chairman of Wu Prime nor was he the cold hearted CEO that I came to know.

Right now, he was just a boy who lost his dad.

“What do I do, Hana?”

He mumbles.

“Everyone I love keeps leaving me...” and I just froze.


 


 


 

“That's not true...” she says, turning her head to whisper in his ear. She pulls away and looks at him but he kept his head hung low, his arms falling limp; Hana smiles at him, lifting his chin with her thumb and forefinger, making him look at her “Your friends are still there, your sister, your cousin, your aunt...”

Finally, he meets her eyes “You have me”

And a small curve forms on his lips.


 


 

“Mama...” Chun calls out to his mother, who was sitting on a chair in her bedroom facing the window. It was already night time yet she hasn't come out once since they came home.

He closes the door and hears a loud sigh “I am finished, Chun...” came her groggy voice.

Her son walks towards her, stopping behind the chair and placed his hands on her shoulder “Mama, you need rest...” he tells her but she doesn't listen.

Kris will take everything away, Chun... he will

Chun frowns at her words “I don't think that's what Kris is thinking about right now, Mama...” she gets up from her chair and turns around then before Chun knew it, a hard slap came across his face.

If only you took the position offered to you! If only you listened to me!” angry tears flowed down her cheeks; Chun stayed still as she continued her rage “But you chose to be enslaved by your wife's father! You are no different from your father! If only you listened to me! If only --

Then what?” Chun cuts her off “Uncle would live? We'll get shares from the company? Aren't you the head of one of the departments?

Her hands clench; Chun lifts his head and looks at her with a blank stare “Is money and riches all you ever think about?

Your future, Wu Chun

He lets out a heavy sigh and turns his back onto her “Your brother died, Mama... he helped you all your life, the least you could do is stop thinking about who inherited what

Slam. The door closes and Chun disappears.