Ch.06 - Far Side of the Moon

Just Another TaeNy Story

What the am I doing? That was the question on Tiffany’s mind. She fell on her soft comfy bed, burying her face in the pillow. Her mind went completely blank for a moment. She felt Prince sniffing her ear. How did he get on the bed? Not that it was important. But she just didn’t want to think about the whole situation. But she has to. She has to think about it. They are going out together tonight for god’s sake! Tiffany let out a groan and her back as she started to run out of oxygen. Prince Fluffy immediately wanted to cuddle, so she started to pet him.

She looked around her luxurious apartment. It had three enormous rooms. Hers, her father’s and a living room. Her room was pink. It used to be pinker, but Jessica once told Tiffany her room looked too childish, so Tiffany switched pink curtains for white ones and replaced pink pillows with purple ones. Everything else remained pink. She refused to give up any more on her favorite color, no matter what Jessica said. All of the rooms were really huge and she basically lived there all alone. Her father travelled a lot; he spent most of the time in the USA. So did her older sister. And her older brother moved to Philippines and settled down there as he married a woman from Manila.

So Tiffany was left on her own. She used to be a very bright and hyperactive person. Used to be. Then it all started. And her sister moved, then her brother moved, Tiffany started to get a bit depressed. Jessica was trying really hard to cheer her up and sometimes she actually managed to succeed, but Tiffany’s depression was getting worse and worse. Then Taeyeon appeared. Oh my god, Tiffany, you are going to go insane if this continues. She didn’t really like Taeyeon, Taeyeon was weird. But she made her life a bit less boring, Tiffany had to admit that. Taeyeon actually made her smile a few times and that was kind of rare. Sincerely smile, of course. Tiffany was already very skilled in faking a smile after that last year. Or two.

I have to be careful. She can’t know. She mustn’t know my ing secret. I really shouldn’t be so friendly with her. What if she finds out? That would be bad. Nah… don’t worry, Tiff. She won’t found out. How would she? Only Jessica knows your secret. And Jessica has your full trust. Jessica would never… so why can’t I keep calm?

Tiffany realized her breathing got a bit heavier. She was nervous. I shouldn’t have agreed with the date, it was a stupid thing to do. Wait what? What am I saying? How is it a date? We are not even friends, god damn it. She owes me a coffee and wants to return the favor. It would be rude to turn her down again. It’s going to be fine, no worries… It’s just a coffee. Simple coffee, just talk about school, weather, don’t get too comfortable. Don’t talk about your life and it will be fine… Won’t it?

 

 

She was waiting. And she couldn’t believe something like that was actually happening. How exactly Taeyeon became her friend? She was trying to convince herself and also Taeyeon that they were not friends. What a lie. They were on the best way to become friends. Taeyeon was making her both comfortable and uncomfortable at the same time. Yes, weird. Tiffany knew it was very odd, she couldn’t explain it. And it was making her damn nervous. She arrived to the place much earlier and now she was freezing. Then she saw her in the distance. The short kid with chubby cheeks, smiling widely and walking quickly. Taeyeon sped up even more and in a second she was standing like next to Tiffany.

“I’m sorry, have you been waiting for a long time already?” Taeyeon asked, still smiling.

Tiffany hesitatingly smiled back. “No,” she shook her head.

Taeyeon frowned a bit, pouting her lips. “Your nose is really red, you must be cold,” she said and poked Tiffany’s nose with her index finger.

Don’t ing touch me, Tiffany thought, but didn’t say anything. She was determined not to reveal a thing about herself. “It’s fine, really.”

“Okay then.”

“So where are we going?” Tiffany asked then, trying to act really cool. She was kind of good at it. For some reason Taeyeon didn’t seem to buy it though. Ah, damn, this girl… is driving me crazy. What is wrong with her? Or… is there something wrong with me? I need to stop seeing her. Agreeing to this was a mistake.

“Mhm, the same café we went to last time? What do you say?” Taeyeon suggested with a smile.

Tiffany nodded. “Works for me. So let’s go.”

 

                

Tiffany was determined not to start talking. She decided that she will simply answer Taeyeon’s questions in the shortest way possible. She knew it was giving Taeyeon a really hard time, but why should she care? It was selfish and she was very aware of that, but still, Taeyeon was the one trying really hard. Tiffany didn’t want to spend time with her or anything. She wondered why Taeyeon was trying to become her friend. At that moment, she was waiting for Taeyeon to order their drinks.

“One hot chocolate and ahem… sorry, what would you like to have?” Taeyeon smiled awkwardly, interrupting Tiffany’s trail of thoughts.

“Latte macchiato please,” Tiffany smiled at the waitress who wrote it down and walked away.

Taeyeon cleared and Tiffany looked at her. “So… What are we going to discuss?”

“I don’t know, you invited me, so you talk,” Tiffany shrugged.

“Well… thank you once again for… what you did today,” Taeyeon blushed.

“Ah, it was nothing, really,” Tiffany just shook her head. She herself wasn’t really sure why she got that angry at the guy for firstly almost killing Taeyeon and secondly for yelling at her so harshly. She wasn’t the type that would get involved in such a situation voluntarily. She was the type that minded her business and her business only. Always. She was confused.

“What are you planning to do during the winter break?” Taeyeon asked then.

“Nothing much,” Tiffany answered honestly. “I will spend some time with my family, some with Jessi, I’m not going anywhere.”

“Ah, I see,” Taeyeon smiled. “I’m having a friend coming over; I’m really looking forward to it. But we’ve never met before, so I am a bit nervous. I believe everything will go smoothly though, she’s a great girl, I don’t see any reason why we shouldn’t get along,” she said.

Then she continued talking about the girl, blabbering and blabbering, so Tiffany stopped paying attention to her and started to get lost in her own thoughts again. What am I doing here? The same questions over and over again. She had no answers and she knew she won’t be able to think of any anytime soon. Why? Why me? What am I going to do? And what can I actually do? Nothing… or… can I? This is killing me. I hate this… I hate this…

“I hate this…” she mumbled aloud, not really realizing it.

“…she also like zombies and- excuse me? What did you say?” Taeyeon suddenly asked, raising her eyebrows.

“Ah, nothing, sorry,” Tiffany answered quickly.

“Is something wrong? You seem a bit sad.”

“What? No, I-“ Tiffany stopped talking as the waitress came with their drinks. Tiffany immediately took her cup of coffee and took a sip. “Ouch!” she hissed as she burnt her upper lip and tongue. “Ouch…” she whined a bit.

“Ahh, stupid Fany,” Taeyeon shook her head. “Let me take a look.”

Tiffany watched Taeyeon stand up and walk towards her. Suddenly, Taeyeon was staring at her from a dangerously small distance. Tiffany’s eyes widened and for a few seconds she was lost at words.

“You are not supposed to drink it when it’s this hot, be more careful next time…” Taeyeon said, worries in her voice. “There…” she mumbled and blew some air on Tiffany’s burnt lip.

That’s it. I’m done. I’m done.

“Don’t,” Tiffany said quickly and looked away.

Taeyeon blushed. “Oh s-sorry, didn’t realize you would… mind.” She looked as uncomfortable as Tiffany was.

“I told you last time. I am uncomfortable around gay people,” Tiffany said.

“May... May I know why?” Taeyeon wondered.

“Honestly?” It freaks the out of me. “It’s weird. Unnatural. Girls should love boys and vice versa. Because girls can have babies only with boys. That’s how things should be.”

“B-but… relationships aren’t just about babies,” Taeyeon opposed.

“I know, but babies are a really important part of it. If girl and girl was natural, then girl would be able to have a baby with a girl. But guess what, it’s not possible,” Tiffany argued. Her heartbeat quickened a bit. She was failing at not saying much. She was clearly talking a lot. That was not her original intention. I need to stop talking. Now. Tiffany Hwang, stop ing talking. Stop.

“But relationships are about love and love knows no gender. Love is based on emotions you have for a person not on… anatomy.”

“You seem to know a lot about love,” Tiffany said.

Taeyeon just let out a bitter love. “Yeah, I wish. I’m pretty sure you are more experienced when it comes to relationships than I am.”

Tiffany laughed, not saying anything.

“What? Isn’t that right?” Taeyeon wondered.

Please, let’s not talk about it. It might reveal… things. Tiffany knew Taeyeon wasn’t stupid. And the least thing she wanted was for Taeyeon to put one and one together.

“I’m not sure if I can consider these… moments relationships.”

“Ah… one night stands, right…” Taeyeon mumbled quietly and drank a bit from her cup.

“Yes.”

“I’m a bit curious… You don’t have to answer if you don’t want to…” Taeyeon started carefully.

Oh god... “Be sure I won’t answer if I won’t want to,” Tiffany said.

“Well… do you know even an exact number of… your… one night stands or relationships or whatever? L-like… the number of people you slept with,” Taeyeon said eventually, blushing madly.

Tiffany smirked and gazed on a wall, making Taeyeon even more nervous.

Yes, I do.

“No, I don’t,” she answered after a while.

“Oh…” Taeyeon mumbled.

“Well, what is your number?”

“…Uh…”

Heh, she’s so flustered, it’s kind of cu- NO! Stop right there, Tiffany! Do NOT get too comfortable in her presence. Why am I getting comfortable in her presence? What is it? How do I stop it? I need to stop it!

“One, I guess… Or zero. I’m not sure if that one fling counts,” Taeyeon admitted.

Tiffany tilted her head to a side a bit, looking at Taeyeon. She seemed like she was saying the truth. Tiffany was a bit curious about that fling. But no, she won’t ask. She would actually prefer to end this relationship talk.

“Ah, I see, whatever… let’s change the topic, I don’t like talking about these things,” she said, trying to sound like she doesn’t care that much.

“O-okay, sure, yeah,” Taeyeon said a bit too quickly. “Uhm… so… I noticed on Facebook you are planning to go on that school party or whatever that is.”

Am I? Ah, yes, that’s correct I am. I don’t really wanna go, but if I don’t want to raise suspicions, I should. Well, maybe I will just pretend being sick. That could work for me. “Yes, I definitely am, unless something unexpected happens,” she said.

“Okay, me probably too. I’ve never been to a party with people from school, so I’m quite curious. Maybe we will meet,” Taeyeon smiled shyly.

“Yeah, maybe.” Tiffany exhaled. That party is going to , I will have to deal with the usual crap and now with this girl as well? Oh well, good luck me. I really should just make some kind of excuse and not go. She drank some of her coffee. Over a half of it was gone already. She peeked at the clock. Almost an hour passed since they met. Time was flying by quite quickly. Is it because I am thinking so damn much about every single petty thing? Tiffany hated this habit of hers. Overthinking everything. She didn’t used to be like that at all. Why did it have to happen? Why? Will it ever stop?

She sighed and finished her coffee. Taeyeon finished her hot chocolate around the same time.

“Do you want anything else? One more cup or something?” Taeyeon asked then.

“No, but thank you. We are equal now,” Tiffany forced a smile.

“Well… okay,” Taeyeon scratched her head and smiled dorkily.

“Okay…”

Silence.

Then Taeyeon cleared . “So… shall we go?”

Tiffany just nodded. “Yes please.” She really wanted to leave. She was slowly getting on the edge of mental breakdown. It wouldn’t be good to start crying in front of Taeyeon. Actually it would be very very bad.

“Okay…” Taeyeon called over the waitress and paid the bill.

Then they stood up, took their jackets and left the café.

It was freaking cold outside. Tiffany shivered as the cold wind hit her face.

“Uh….” Taeyeon mumbled.

“What is it?”

“Would it be weird if I walked you home?” she asked then, her cheeks turning really pink. Tiffany wasn’t sure if it was because of the question or because of the weather.

“I prefer going on my own, don’t be offended but my opinion about you didn’t change. No friendship between the two of us,” Tiffany said, maybe a bit too harshly, but she didn’t really care.

“O-okay,” Taeyeon mumbled. She looked down, looking disappointed. “So… be safe, Tiffany,” she said then and slowly turned around before walking away.

Tiffany sighed, watching her leave and then slowly started to walk the opposite direction.

She couldn’t hold it anymore. A single tear ran down her cheek as she started to run…

 

 

Hot water was running down her body, but she felt cold. It’s been a while since she arrived home, cried a little and then decided to take a shower. She felt very lonely at the moment.

She exhaled deeply as she let the water splash on her face, smudging her already smudged mascara even more. She shivered as she stopped the water. She couldn’t even tell if she was still crying. She felt like it, but was the wet thing on her cheeks a tear or just water? Whatever, it didn’t matter anymore.

She made a decision to skip school tomorrow. She took a towel, wrapped her nice body in it and walked out of the bathroom. She was still alone in the apartment, so it wasn’t a big deal. She fell on the bed and her stomach grumbled. She realized it’s been a while since she ate. She also realized she doesn’t have anything to eat, except for a package of cookies on the table. She lazily stood up and took them, before returning to bed and switching her lap top on. She checked the news and then checked Facebook in case one of her siblings sent her a message.

There was no message, but there was a friend request pending. Tiffany checked it, thinking it’s probably another boy from school. It… wasn’t.

Kim Taengoo.

Kim Taeyeon. Yes, no doubt that was her.

Cute photo, Tiffany thought as she looked at the profile. But since Taeyeon’s profile was set as private, she couldn’t see much, just her cover photos which happened to be Taeyeon’s celebrity crushes or some random quotes by famous people. She wasn’t sure whether it was curiosity about Taeyeon’s profile or what, but she accepted the request.

Something about that profile was drawing her in. The first thing she noticed was that Taeyeon didn’t have many friends. She’s probably not the type that accepts every single request. Unlike me, huh…

Tiffany went through Taeyeon’s photos and found almost nothing. She could see Taeyeon wasn’t the type that would expose things online. Good for her…

Suddenly a message popped out.

 

Kim Taengoo 9:04PM

“Thanks for accepting the request, did you arrive home safely? :)”

 

Tiffany Hwang 9:05PM

“Yes, I did.”

 

Kim Taengoo 9:05PM

“That’s great ^^ Hope you had a good time. We can go out again sometime if you want to :)”

 

Tiffany Hwang 9:07PM

“Ok. Maybe.”

 

Kim Taengoo 9:07PM

“So see you at school tomorrow!”

 

Tiffany Hwang 9:08PM

“Yeah, see you.”

 

Tiffany didn’t wait for more possible messages she could get from Taeyeon or anybody else and closed the lap top.

She put it away and lied on her back, putting her hands under her head, just staring on the ceiling. She was still in a towel only, her hair was still wet and she knew it would make her bed wet as well. Then she started to feel cold. She tossed the towel on the ground, she really did not care, and slipped under the blanket. She felt bad, she didn’t feel like changing, she didn’t see any reason why she couldn’t sleep with no clothes on.

She was glad she didn’t switch on the lights, now she didn’t have any more reason to get up from the bed. She took the cookies and started to eat them. She sadly smiled. Thank god it’s almost over…

 

 

A/N: Hello, I've decided to update earlier as a little thank you gift for the number of 1000 unique subscribers! ^^You are so awesome guys, thank you! *bows*

Hope you enjoyed this little POV of Tiffany's, it won't happen again for a while :PP

Thank you for reading, thanks for comments, love you all!

See you again in approximately two weeks! Look forward to... YoonHyun!