Ch.24 - For Smartasses Only

Just Another TaeNy Story

“What is that?” Seohyun asked a random blond girl who just randomly reached her on the street and gave her a red rose with a envelope, not saying anything, running away.

Seohyun just shook her head, completely lost, but didn’t bother to chase her, the girl was already a long time gone as she was obviously a great runner. Seohyun turned her attention to the note and rose in her hands. She opened the envelope and took a piece of paper out of it.

She frowned as she realized it was a bunch of text in different language. Or more like different languages. “Oh, there’s another one piece of paper,” she realized then as she checked the envelope once again.

 

“Dear Seo Juhyun,

This is somebody who loves you. If you are wondering who is behind this, complete these tasks and you will find out. If you don’t want to do this, I will understand, but that way, you will never find out who wants to confess their love to you.

This is task number 1. Identify all the languages. The first letters will then tell you your next location. Have fun. Oh, and the texts are actually nonsensical, no actual real words, so even though I know you wouldn’t do so, using Google Translator won’t help you. :)

Sincerely,

Somebody who loves you

 

Seohyun stared at the paper for a while with her head slightly tilted to the right. She did not see that coming and the first thing that crossed her mind was that this is some lame joke. But who would do that to her? Maybe it’s a real deal. She could try to find out. She loved riddles, this might be fun even if that somebody is actually just mocking her.

Then she looked at the piece of paper with the text.

 

Bonorum denique cu eam, mel ea putent abhorreant.

Tumukan ampak dari sesatu yang timak maduk akal.

Vypakovaja kuča šahotoje, čto nemaje nijakeha sansu.

Sluchajnaja gruda čegoto, što neimejet nikakogo smisla.

Ewekkansige stepel eits wat nie sin maad nie.

Tychaía so̱ró káti pou den échei kanéna nói̱ma.

Unele rahat supeaaleatoare nu știți ce este.

ʻTlʻkʻ swṗʻr trʼap bwlşyt ʼyr tʼán nyt wwysn wwʼás ʼyz.

 

„Wow, this is actually really interesting,” Seohyun laughed as she sat on the bench and began to think.

“Latin, obviously,” she mumbled as she looked at the first sentence. Mhm, Indonesian, probably. The third one would be… Russian. No wait, the forth one is Russian. What is the third one then? Never mind, I’ll get back to it later. Okay, the fifth one is weird. It looks kinda Germanic, but it’s not German. What are other Germanic languages? Is it Dutch? Or… Maybe Afrikaan? I’ll leave this one empty for now too. What the hell is the next one. Wow, somebody made sure it wasn’t that easy. Uh, the last one is obviously Yiddish. Okay. So what have I got…. L, I, ?, R, D/A?, ?, Y.

Seohyun thought about the letters she got and after just a few seconds she realized the correct answer.

“Library!” she exclaimed, all excited. “Wait, but which one? The school one?” she wondered then. “Probably,” she concluded as she smiled, happy that she solved the first puzzle and headed towards the school library.

 

Okay, so…. What now? she wondered as she entered the school library. She looked at the librarian, who just stared back with a smile and pointed towards some direction at the very back.

“Oh, thanks,” Seohyun bowed her head and went where the librarian told her to.

She walked just around one of the shelves and immediately covered her eyes and had hard time not to shriek as she spotted something that she will never forget.

“Oh god! Taeyeon unnie! Tiffany unnie! What are you doing?! In a library?!!” she whispered sharply as the two girls pulled away and looked at her feeling suddenly guilty.

“Sorry, uh,” Taeyeon cleared as she got off Tiffany’s lap and fixed her shirt. “But we were just making out a bit, it’s not like we were about to have . Or we might have, but not now, haha,” she chuckled earning a creeped out stare from Seohyun and a punch into the shoulder from Tiffany. “Ouch!”

“No we might not, geez, she’s a ,” Tiffany rolled her eyes.

“Sorry,” Taeyeon smiled cutely, making Tiffany sigh and kiss her cheek gently.

“Sorry for the punch.”

“That’s fine.”

They’re really cute, Seohyun thought.

“Anyways, we are happy to see you dealt with the task number one and arrived,” Tiffany smiled. We have the task number two for you.”

“Oh, great,” Seohyun smiled. “What is it?”

Taeyeon just pointed at a huge book on the desk and shrugged. “Don’t know, we are just supposed to give you this book.”

“Really?”

“Yeah.

“Okay then…” Seohyun looked at the book. It was The Grand Chessboard, her favorite book these days. She noticed one of the pages had a folded corner and immediately knew that was the page she was supposed to find.

She laughed as she immediately understood where she’s supposed to go next. “Well, that was easy, I expected something at least equally difficult to the first riddle, this was for children,” she chuckled. ”Thanks unnies!“ she said as she immediately left to the next location.

“Well, somebody is having a lot of fun,” Taeyeon noted, while Tiffany stared at the page where the information about next location was supposed to be.

“I don’t get it. How the hell did she get it from just one look at a map of Asia?” she asked, trying to figure it out.

Taeyeon shrugged. “Well, Yoona obviously added some notes, you see, there is some arrow pointing from Japan towards China. You probably need to read the book to understand, coz I really don’t get it either.”

“Yeah. Whatever. Are we free to go now?” Tiffany asked.

“I don’t know, but I say yes, we are,” Taeyeon smiled, took Tiffany’s hand and they walked out the library together.

 

Seohyun chuckled as soon as she entered the only Japanese restaurant in a local Chinese borough, because she immediately spotted another couple she knew. Well, Sooyoung was her high school classmate and she knew the other girl just briefly, but she knew her name was Sunny and that they were seeing each other. They were having a late lunch or early dinner, chatting happily with each other when she approached them.

“Hi, unnies,” she greeted. “Do you have a riddle for me?” she asked immediately.

“Well, somebody’s excited,” Sooyoung said with so full it was hardly understandable.

“I am, you’re right,” Seohyun nodded enthusiastically.

Sunny smiled. “Cute,” she said. “Okay, so here’s a crossword, you need to solve a crossword. The answer will tell you where to go next.”

Seohyun joined them at the table, took the crossword and a pen and started to fill the blank fields in. Sunny was looking at her, impressed that she was solving all the questions so quickly, while Sooyoung was just busy eating her Japanese food.

It took Seohyun less than 5 minutes to figure it all out.

“Done!” she cheered.

“Good. You’re fast,” Sooyoung said.

Sunny smiled. ”Now you know where to go, so don’t let your admirer wait too long!”

Seohyun ceased her eyebrows. “Can’t you tell me who it is?”

Sunny shook her head. “Nope,” she laughed. “But it’s a really good person, don’t worry.”

Seohyun slowly nodded. “Okay.”

“The next stop is going to be the last riddle, so… have fun!”

By then Seohyun was already at the door, leaving the restaurant and heading towards the Yangnyeong-ro Bridge.

 

She already knew what to look for. Another two people she knew. And she quickly found them. They were having a fight.

“I swear I am going to throw you in the water right here right now, Kwon Yuri, if you don’t stop being so ing dumb!”

“I’m sorry! Okay? I had no idea that it was like that!”

“Geez!”

“Uh, excuse me?” Seohyun said, getting their attention.

“Oh, hi, Seohyun,” Yuri smiled while Jessica didn’t even try.

“Hi, unnies. Do you have a riddle for me, please?” she asked a little bit freaked out because of their argument.

“Yeah, here, solve this equation,” Jessica said, giving Seohyun a piece of paper.

Seohyun’s eyes widened as she looked at it.

“Without a calculator? That’s insane! I love it!”

“Took me almost an hour,” Jessica said.

“Never made it,” Yuri added. “And I actually used the calculator.”

“It’s not really that difficult, you will figure this out, so… Sit on the bench and go, your love won’t wait forever,” Jessica said. “And I have some killing to finish over here,” she added, glaring at Yuri, who gulped.

“O-okay,” Seohyun nodded and looked at the equation.

 

[sin(π/6)*[4] + (3!)^2 - (46,656)^(1/3)] *3969 = x

 

Seohyun sit there for twenty minutes solving the equation. She thought she probably would have already solved it if only the two idiots stopped fighting with each other over some stupid thing.

“God, why do you keep fighting?!” she asked then, annoyed.

“Because we love each other,” both of them answered at the same time, surprising the girl.

“Really?”

“Yeah, Taeyeon called us the unconventional couple,” Yuri said proudly.

“She keeps using the word all the time now when she knows the actual meaning, it’s really annoying,” Jessica rolled her eyes.

“So you two hate each other, but love each other or what?”

“Exactly,” Yuri nodded. “But I actually love her, she just annoys the crap out of me.”

“Same here.”

“But yeah, we like it this way, as we figured out just recently, right, Sica?”

“Right,” Jessica nodded with a poker face. “Whatever. Have you solved it yet? If so, you are really a genius.”

“Give me a minute…” Seohyun looked at the equation once again and then it hit her. “Oh you gotta be kidding me!” she said suddenly.

“Wow. She solved it,” Jessica said. “I had the exact same reaction.”

“It’s impossible, this complicated thing can’t equal one! Who would be that mean to make this thing so complicated!”

“Haha, thought the same, that kid Yoo-chmpfgh!!!”

“Shhh!”

“What the hell!” Yuri shoved Jessica’s hand away and glared at her.

“You can’t say the name! Idiot!” Jessica whispered into her ear. “Blabber mouth.”

“I was just gonna say…. That kid, you gotta love!” Yuri said quickly. “That’s what I was going to say. That’s it. Yeah.”

Jessica rolled her eyes. At least for once Yuri came up with quite a smart reaction. Impressive, but the whole thing was still dumb.

Seohyun seemed a bit confused, but they she went back to the equation. “So… the answer is x=√3969.”

“Correct, now you have to figure out how much is that,” Jessica smirked. “Do you know how?”

Seohyun sighed. “I remember this really complicated way how to count this without the calculator… I have to divide it to 39 and 69. √39… That would be 6 something and √69 is 8 something. Meaning the answer is a number between 57 and 68. Three squared is nine and five squared is twenty-five…”

“What the hell is she saying?” Yuri whispered, trying not to disturb the mathematical genius.

“There’s an algorithm for it, uh, algorithm means method in case you didn’t know,” Jessica explain and Yuri just nodded.

“Ah, I see.”

“I know where to go!” Seohyun shrieked then. “The answer is 63! 63 Building! Thank you unnies!”

“Wow, she’s so smart. And so are you of course, you solved it too,” Yuri quickly added.

“Yeah, she is. And you are lucky I am not throwing you into the Han River. Whatever. Go, girl, your admirer is waiting at the very top, hurry up,” she smiled then and Seohyun waited no more.

 

She was already tired as hell because she had kept running around Seoul the entire day, but she still literally ran the last three floors up the stairs, since the elevator only reached the 60th floor.

She was surprised to see nobody up there. It was completely empty, no tourists whatsoever. Which was weird. “Uh, hello?” she asked as she looked around.

Suddenly out of nowhere a person popped up. Seohyun couldn’t see the face, but it was definitely quite a girl with a great body. She was covering her face with a hand-drawn picture of two girls.

Seohyun gulped. This was very proposal-ish. She felt touched, it all must have been really difficult to set up. And to think that somebody did all of this just for her… She never even dared to dream of it.

She looked at the picture, there were two girls drawn, one of them was kneeling on one knee and held a red rose in her hand.

WILL YOU BE MY GIRLFRIEND?

That’s what it said at the very top of the drawing.

The girl then slowly revealed her face, making Seohyun sure. She knew Yoona loved her the most on this planet. She was never sure if it was in a romantic way though. Now she was.

Yoona flashed a shy smile and took a red rose, Seohyun didn’t notice from where it came from.

“Seo Juhyun, we’ve been friends for a while and because you are such and amazing, smart and beautiful person I actually started falling for you. I have known I love you for a while now, but I wasn’t brave enough to confess until now. Also thanks to our lovely friends I am now ready to tell you, that I love you more than just a friend and that I hope that you will accept my love and become my girlfriend. On the other hand I will understand if you won’t, because I can think of millions of reasons why to refuse me. I still hope you won’t though, because it would make me sad and I really don’t wanna lose you as a friend as well. So… what do you say?” she said basically in like one breath, extending her hand with the red rose.

Seohyun smiled at her and then she looked at the drawing.

“You have drawn this on your own? It’s really pretty.”

“Well, when I was in Switzerland I worked with a model who was actually a really skilful painter. He might have showed me a trick or two, but other than that, yes, it’s one hundred percent my work. Uh… so what do you say?” Yoona started to feel really nervous.

“Well, what can I say. We’ve been friends for quite a long time already and even though you were busy, you have always been a good friend to me.”

“O-okay,” Yoona stuttered, worried she was about to get friend-zoned.

“You did so much for me, even this, did you like rent this place? Why are there no tourists? Whatever, don’t answer. It doesn’t matter how you did it, all that matters is that you actually did it. And tell me. How could I possibly refuse anybody who is that caring and sweet? But…”

Yoona still tried to keep her smile, but it was getting more and more difficult. Of course, there is a but.

“But if I accept, you need to promise me to be patient with me. I don’t know if I’m ready to be in a serious relationship. I obviously love you too and I admit that I am attracted to you, I am just probably not as in love as you are, uh, so… uh…”

“I am getting a bit confused,” Yoona said. “So you’re saying that…?”

“We should try it. Maybe it will work out, maybe it won’t. Make me love you,” Seohyun said cheekily and took the rose from Yoona’s hand. “Yes, I will be your girlfriend.”

Yoona’s smile grew enormously big. “Yes!” she cheered, put the picture aside, grabbed Seohyun around the waist, lifted her and spun her around. She stumbled and almost fell, so she let go of her quickly.

“God, sorry, that was supposed to go smoother than that, they make it look easy in the movies.”

Seohyun laughed. “That’s fine. You can always just… you know.”

“What?”

“You can just kiss me,” the younger blushed.

Yoona blushed too, but kept grinning happily. “Yeah… well… I guess I could do that. I mean… I’ve wanted this for quite a-”

Seohyun got tired of Yoona’s never ending talking, so she made sure she was stop and just kissed her instead. Gently and shortly, but it served its purpose.

“O-okay, I get it,” Yoona said when Seohyun pulled away. And then she kissed her properly.

 


A/N: There is probably no apology for not updating ever. Well.... I , deal with it. I kinda lost interest + I have been busy af, working and studying... University turned out to be quite hard - shout out to my beloved teacher who let me flunk all of his subjects last year, thank you for nothing (he may hate me for something I once said about his class and he accidentaly overheard. Well....). I'd still like to finish this story tho. Please try to keep your faith in me when I lose it :) Thanks to everybody who read this. Thank you, really. Yes you, you are the best.

With love, Lucy Sharon W.

 

P.S.: I wrote this chapter like a year ago and I am re-reading this and that √3969 mathematic makes like ZERO sense to me, like what???? How did I come up with that so called "algorithm", I will probably never know, anyone can tell me if that is actually a real thing? :D