Ch.19 - Fear of Comparison

Just Another TaeNy Story

*Beep beep*

Seohyun carefully put a bookmark into her book and put it aside. Then she took her phone. Who could be texting her this late in the evening?

 

10:21PM

From: Yoona unnie

“Hello, Seohyun-ah! Hope you’re not asleep yet. Sorry if I woke you up. Just texting to let you know I am back from Italy and it seems like I might stay in Seoul for some really long time, my agency wants me here now! Hope you had a good time while I was gone! I missed you! XOXO, Yoong”

 

Seohyun laughed, reading the cute text from her friend. It’s been almost two months since she saw Yoona last time, Yoona had to leave to Switzerland and then directly to Italy doing some modeling campaigns and even though she and Seohyun chatted, Seohyun missed her. They grew close and became really good friends.

 

10:25PM

To: Yoona unnie

“Hello, unnie! No, I’m not a sleep, I’m reading a book actually. It’s called The Grand Chessboard and it’s very interesting, so I might end up reading all night. Glad to hear you are back! Are you healthy, unnie? Was the flight okay? Are you jet-lagged? Everything else okay? Let me know! Missed you too! –SH”

 

Seohyun really couldn’t help it but smile. She completely forgot about her book and just expected the reply impatiently. She couldn’t wait to see Yoona! And she got the reply by return.

 

10:27PM

From: Yoona unnie

“Yes, yes, don’t worry, I am completely fine, just a bit tired after the flight. I have so much to tell you! Will I see you tomorrow?”

 

10:28PM

To: Yoona unnie

“Absolutely! MG café, 2PM? We can have late lunch.”

 

10:29PM

From: Yoona unnie

“Sure! See you! Okay, I’m really tired, so I’ll go to bed. Enjoy your book! Good night and sweet dreams!”

 

10:29PM

To: Yoona unnie

“Sweet dreams to you too, unnie, have a good rest!”

 

Yoona grinned as she made herself comfortable on her bed and put her phone aside. Then she looked at a box on her table. It was a flat box, with a shape of a book. Yoona shakily exhaled as she felt nervousness running through her veins.

“You can do it, Im Yoona, you can do it.”

 

 

 

Tiffany frowned as she watched a girl sitting near her during the break between lessons the following day. She and Jessica decided to go outside for a few minutes before the next lesson since the weather was just great. The girl seemed oddly familiar, but Tiffany just couldn’t figure it out. The girl was really cute, short and pretty. Tiffany took a quick peek at Jessica only to make sure she was still immersed in that weird freaky book of hers, and then she looked back at the stranger.

The girl suddenly looked directly at her. Tiffany wanted to look away, but she couldn’t for some reason, she was fascinated. Not that she liked her in some weird way or anything, she was just wondering why she knew her.

The girl looked similarly surprised to see Tiffany. Then she smiled, making Tiffany even more confused.

“Excuse me for a moment,” Tiffany said to Jessica, who didn’t even bother to look up or react in any way actually.

Tiffany walked towards the girl. “Uhh, hi, do we know each other?” she asked, smiling a bit awkwardly.

The girl shook her head. “Not really. You’re Tiffany, right? Taeyeon’s girlfriend?”

Tiffany got even more puzzled and then she remembered. It was the girl whose photo Taeyeon had on the wall in her room along with photos of Hyoyeon, Yuri and her family. And also the girl Taeyeon spent the New Year’s Eve with. What was her name again?

“Sunny,” she introduced herself before Tiffany managed to say anything, extending her hand. “I’m Taeyeon’s friend. Nice to meet you.”

“How did you know who I was?” Tiffany asked then a bit suspicious, but accepting the hand nevertheless.

“I checked your Facebook after I noticed you and Taeyeon were in a relationship. Facebook rules the world,” Sunny shrugged.

“Yeah… What are you doing here? I-I mean, sorry, don’t mean to be rude, but I thought you lived in like… Daegu?” Tiffany asked then, trying hard to suppress the insane and mainly insanely absurd jealousy that she felt rising in her body. She had some jealousy issues and she was aware of that. She was okay with Hyoyeon, because Hyoyeon was Hyoyeon and she was just awesome and could win everybody’s heart including Tiffany’s easily. But knowing Taeyeon’s weird suspicious touchy friend was in the city and Taeyeon’s hadn’t told her… Now that was quite an issue for Tiffany.

“I got accepted to this university, so I will live here from now on.”

“Oh, I see. Taeyeon must be happy to have another friend in the city,” Tiffany answered flatly, not being happy about this at all.

“Oh she doesn’t know yet!” Sunny quickly said and Tiffany felt at least some of her jealousy fade away in that exact second. Taeyeon didn’t know… Good… “I want to surprise her.”

Tiffany nodded, smiling a little less forced. But still not being exactly a fan of this situation. She felt a bit possessive and definitely very protective of Taeyeon. And having another suspicious friend, god knows if not ex-girlfriend in town… it was too much for Tiffany to handle.

“Oh, she’s having a lesson right now, but you can meet her here once she’s done, which should be in like… two hours. I will probably be here too. Unless you don’t want me to,” she added sulkily.

Sunny just cutely shook her head. “I don’t mind your presence. I actually have some lesson myself, so I will head back to my department and meet you here in two hours, okay?”

Tiffany nodded. “Sure. See you.”

“See you. It was nice to meet you.”

“Yeah… You too.”

 

 

 

Tiffany waited for Taeyeon in front of the classroom. Her lesson ended earlier and she felt a weird need to be there when Taeyeon meets Sunny.

Taeyeon looked surprised, but happy when she spotted her. “Hello, beautiful,” she greeted her and pecked her cheek.

Tiffany slightly blushed and looked around. She was very shy about being intimate with Taeyeon in public, after all, it was very unusual to see two girls openly dating in Korea even now. Luckily it seemed like everybody around them was cool with it. Tiffany was really happy about it, but she still felt a bit insecure, remembering what was happening to them in their senior year of high school.

“Hi, TaeTae, how was your day?”

“Even better now,” Taeyeon smiled and held Tiffany’s hand as they walked out of the building.

“Why are we taking the long way?” Taeyeon wondered as she noticed Tiffany led her to the wrong direction.

“Oh, uh, there’s- you will see,” Tiffany smiled.

“Okay,” Taeyeon nodded, but now being very curious.

They entered the backyard. Sunny was already waiting, just like she had said. Took Taeyeon a while to notice her and realize it was her friend, but once she did, she immediately let go of Tiffany’s hand and half run to hug the girl.

Tiffany felt the weird rush of jealousy in her body again. She swallowed as she watched them greet excitedly.

“What the hell are you doing here, Sunny?” Taeyeon asked, all confused, but really thrilled.

“Studying! What a plot twist, huh?” Sunny smiled.

“Totally! What’s your major? Don’t tell me it’s music.”

Tiffany, listening to their friendly conversation frowned as she realized she would probably die of jealousy if Sunny’s major was music as well as Taeyeon’s.

“No, it’s not.”

Thank god! Then Tiffany went closer to them and with a slight smile touched Taeyeon’s arm.

“Oh god, how rude of me. Fany-yah, this is my friend Sunny. Sunny, meet my lovely and beautiful girlfriend Tiffany.”

Sunny flashed an eye-smile similar to Tiffany’s, maybe even cuter. “Already had the pleasure.”

Tiffany just nodded.

“Oh, that’s why we took the long way!” Taeyeon realized. “Should we go for a lunch?”

 

 

 

That was the most awkward lunch Tiffany had had in a while. Awkward for her. Taeyeon and Sunny seemed to have a lot in common and a lot to talk about and even though they both tried to involve Tiffany in the conversation, she would always just give a short answer and continue eating her meal.

Tiffany was pretty sure Taeyeon wouldn’t break up with her, remembering all the stuff she went through, she believed Taeyeon’s feelings for her were strong, she knew they were. And she knew she herself was quite pretty and quite smart, but seeing Taeyeon with Sunny made a part of her brain think that they would make a better much. Sunny seemed prettier, cuter and smarter in Tiffany’s eyes. Heck, she was even closer to Taeyeon in the terms of height, so Taeyeon wouldn’t have to tiptoe every time she would like to ki- No! Stop these thoughts, Tiffany Hwang! No kissing between these two going on! But they seemed so close and understood each other so well… Tiffany felt her head spinning, she had that feeling like she was about to faint soon.

“Hallo? Hallo?! Earth to Tiffany! Baby, what are you thinking about it?” Taeyeon waved her hand in front of Tiffany’s eyes, making Tiffany snap out of it.

“Oh, I’m sorry, I don’t feel very well,” Tiffany smiled faintly.

“What’s wrong? Did the food make you sick?” Taeyeon asked, worried, as she grabbed her hand.

“No, I’m just tired,” Tiffany shook her head. “I think I should go home take a nap.”

“I’ll go with you, just to make sure you are okay,” Taeyeon immediately said.

Tiffany smiled at her concerned girlfriend. “No, just stay, I’ll take a cab, it’s gonna be okay. You two have some catching up to do,” she said, standing up.

“Are you sure?” Taeyeon doubted, still seeming unconvinced.

“Yes, I am okay. I will call you in the evening, okay?”

“Okay then,” Taeyeon nodded slowly as she stood up as well and gave Tiffany a little goodbye kiss. “Make sure you rest a lot, okay?”

“Sure. Bye Sunny,” Tiffany waved and left the restaurant.

Sunny just look at Taeyeon, shaking her head.

“What?” Taeyeon asked.

“You two are so unbearably adorable, makes me wanna puke rainbows. I kept watching her a bit and I think she might be jealous.”

“Oh…really??”

 

 

 

Yoona was having a lot more fun during the lunch. She finally got to see Seohyun after many weeks. Even though they texted from time to time, it felt like an eternity. They were having a great time, catching up and stuff.

Yoona was a bit anxious though as she was very aware of that box in her handbag all the time. She was so determined to give it to Seohyun now, but she lost all of her courage the moment she saw her. She hated herself for being such a coward. Maybe later that afternoon…

“So you really will be staying in Seoul for a while?” Seohyun asked happily.

“Yes,” Yoona nodded. “I might actually finally finish high school. It was hard with all the private teachers and stuff, you know that… And my parents want to me finish finally and then possibly let me attend university as a normal person.”

“Yeah, I understand that,” Seohyun smiled. “You will be done in a year and we can attend uni together then!”

Yoona laughed. “I like your enthusiasm a lot.”

“Excuse me? Are you by any chance Im Yoona?” a random girl interrupted them. She could have been like thirteen years old.

Yoona looked confused a bit. “Yes, that would be me.”

The little girl smiled really brightly and happily. “Oh my god, I am so lucky! Could you please sign me a picture?!” she asked a bit too loudly.

Yoona seemed a bit confused and so did Seohyun. The girl then gave Yoona a magazine with the young model’s photo in it. It was a Korean magazine for a teenage girls, Yoona was regularly on the page dedicated to fashion.

“Yes, sure,” Yoona answered, still taken aback as she took the magazine and also a pen. “What is your name, sweetie?” she asked then.

“Lee Taeyeon,” she said, making Yoona laugh.

“Taeyeon, that’s also my cousin’s name! Haha!” Yoona said cheerfully as she signed the magazine with a short dedication to the girl.

The Taeyeon girl then took the stuff back and with a happy smile returned to her table.

“What was that?” Yoona asked then, amused and confused.

“You’ve got yourself some fans, unnie,” Seohyun stated. “You’re really famous now.”

Yoona just shook her head. “Not really, I don’t understand what just happened, haha,” she said then.

“You could become really famous, you know?” Seohyun said. “Now it’s just a bunch of fashion photo shoots, Pro-Active commercial and an interview for a Fashion magazine, but you could be the next Gisele Bündchen!”

“More like Cara Delevinge,” Yoona chuckled quietly.

“Nah, you are way prettier than she is, unnie,” Seohyun opposed.

“Possibly, but totally just as gay as she is,” Yoona blurted and immediately covered as she realized she just had a slip of tongue and said it actually aloud. In front of Seohyun. Awkward. So far her cousin Taeyeon was the only person to know about this and even though she wanted to ask Seohyun to be her girlfriend, she kind of didn’t want to come out like this. Suddenly she thought asking Seohyun to be her girlfriend without actually coming out to her first was a really stupid idea.

She carefully watched the other girl’s reaction. Seohyun seemed really surprised for a second, but quickly covered it up with a slight smile. They were quiet for a few seconds, until Seohyun cleared . “When... Why didn’t you tell me sooner?” she said then.

Yoona touched the back of her neck and rubbed it, trying to hide how uncomfortable she felt at the moment. “I… wasn’t sure for a really long time and, you know… stuff,” she mumbled, not really sure what to say.

“Really?”

“And I wasn’t sure if you would still feel the same about me. Are we… are we okay?” Yoona asked.

“Of course we are,” Seohyun smiled. “I wouldn’t be a good friend if I minded, would I?”

Yoona insecurely smiled back at her. “Thanks.”

“No need to thank me. What made you so sure?”

“Uh…” Yoona turned red. No. This wasn’t the right time. “I fell for a girl.”

“You’re kidding!”

“No.”

“That’s amazing, unnie! Did you get yourself a lover when you were abroad?”

Yoona laughed a bit bitterly. “No, I didn’t. I didn’t tell her.”

“What a pity,” Seohyun said and it seemed sincere. “You deserve some love.”

She had no idea it made Yoona even more upset. It was a sign Seohyun probably wouldn’t accept her proposal.

“Will you see her again? I guess you met her during work, didn’t you?”

“Yes, I did,” Yoona lied. “And I don’t know, so there’s no point in thinking about it. Let’s not talk about her, okay?”

“Okay.”

 

 

 

Sunny persuaded Taeyeon to pay Tiffany a surprise visit that evening. Taeyeon was a bit reluctant at first, she felt like she should catch up with Sunny, but eventually agreed. Was Tiffany really jealous?

Taeyeon chuckled. She thought that was impossible. Why would Tiffany be jealous? Tiffany was pretty much perfect, even though Taeyeon was sometimes more than just confused by her.

The doorman already knew Taeyeon as she was often a guest in Tiffany’s apartment, so he immediately let her in without any questions. Taeyeon took the elevator and played with the red rose she was holding. Sunny also suggested buying Tiffany a flower. She’s such a brilliant friend.

She knocked on the door and covered the eyelet with the rose. She waited for quite a long time when finally the door slightly opened and a girl peeked at her.

“Oh,” she uttered, opening the door a bit more, but not completely.

“Hello, beautiful,” Taeyeon flashed her best smile and extended her hand with the flower. “May I come in?”

Tiffany didn’t respond for a second, but then opened the door, inviting Taeyeon inside without a single word. She also took the flower. “You’re sweet,” she smiled.

Taeyeon had to admit Tiffany looked tired and maybe a little bit sad. That made her feel upset and like reeeeally guilty.

“What would you like to drink?” Tiffany asked.

“I am not thirsty, thank you, I wanna talk,” Taeyeon said and closed the door and joined Tiffany in her room. They both sat next to each other on Tiffany’s bed.

“About?”

“Sunny,” Taeyeon said, not wanting to beat around the bush.

Tiffany’s face got slightly darker. “What about her?”

“You don’t like her, do you?”

“It’s not like that…” Tiffany said awkwardly.

“Are you sure?” Taeyeon looked into Tiffany’s eyes and saw a slight hesitation in them.

“I… don’t like it how close you are. Please don’t think I am stupid.”

Taeyeon chuckled, realizing Sunny was indeed right. “You don’t have to be jealous. Sunny is just a friend.”

“But you two are so alike! You have so much in common! The two of us though…” Tiffany saddened.

“That’s exactly it. Have you never heard of the opposites attract thing? Dating Sunny would be basically like dating myself and that’s just creepy. Would you like to date yourself?”

Tiffany bitterly laughed, embarrassed. “No, I wouldn’t. I would hate it. I… think I understand now… oh god, I feel so damn stupid.”

“You are not stupid. You are amazing. You are my girlfriend and I lo-,“ Taeyeon stopped in the middle of the sentence, blushing hard and breaking the eye contact.

“W-what?” Tiffany stuttered.

“Yes, that’s right,” Taeyeon spoke up after a few seconds, looking back into Tiffany’s widened eyes, suddenly overflowing with courage. “You are my girlfriend, of course I love you. I wouldn’t date you if I didn’t, isn’t that obvious? I love you, Tiffany Hwang,” she said, courage slowly leaving her body. Suddenly she felt rather shy.

Tiffany slowly smiled until her eyes almost disappeared. “I love you too, TaeTae,” she said then cheerfully.

Taeyeon felt happiness slowly overtaking her body. Then she leaned in and kissed Tiffany quite deeply. It was probably the most passionate kiss they had shared. No, not probably. It definitely was the most passionate kiss they shared so far. Taeyeon didn’t really care in that moment if Tiffany was taken aback by the kiss, she just wanted her and couldn’t stop herself. She caressed Tiffany’s cheek with her right hand and put her left hand around Tiffany’s neck, pulling her closer. She could literally feel Tiffany’s insecurity and thought of it as her obligation to make her feel comfortable.

She slowed down a bit and whispered right into Tiffany’s ear, sending a shiver down her spin. “It’s okay, babe.”

“I know,” Tiffany breathed out and to Taeyeon’s surprise kissed her again with the same passion Taeyeon had had earlier. Their tongues touched for the very first time and Taeyeon had a feeling like she was about to pass out, her head was spinning madly and she was just so head over heels in love with this girl. Everything was forgotten at the moment. It was just the two of them. They kept kissing for a while and eventually ended up hugging in Tiffany’s bed and falling asleep there. It was the best night in their lives.

 


 

A/N: I know I am totally helpless, lol, sorry for the late update again, still being really busy.

But don't worry, I am alive and writing... slowly, but I am :)

Teaser:

“Okay, what the hell is wrong with you two?”
“Nothing is wrong with us. What should be wrong?”
“Yes, nothing’s wrong. That’s what’s wrong."

Thanks for reading & commenting & subscribing & upvoting & all the love, I love youuuu!! You are the ones who make me keep going, hehehe.