Ch.04 - What is Truth?

Just Another TaeNy Story

The following day, Taeyeon had to go to the work. It was Sunday and she a bunch of catalogues to deliver. She really hated her job as a postwoman, but… it meant money, so she was more than willing to do it. For the money… it was worth it. Every single Won was worth it. And the job wasn’t that difficult. Just from time to time, it was annoying. You’re saying there’s no mail on Sundays? Well, Taeyeon had a deal with her boss. Since she has school on Monday and Tuesday, she can deliver on Sunday as well. It must be done by Tuesday evening. And better sooner than later. That’s what her boss says.

She returned home, said hello to her mom and headed right into her room.

“Wait!” her mom stopped her.

“What is it?” Taeyeon asked, turning around.

“I talked with your aunt, apparently Yoona is going to Seoul for a few days and she would like to stay over at our place,” her mom announced.

“What? Really?!” Taeyeon smiled. Her little cousin is going to come! “When is she going to arrive?”

“In a week. She is in Japan or at least that’s what your aunt says and now she has to go to Seoul before returning to Busan.”

“Great, I look forward to seeing her!” Taeyeon exclaimed. She really did. Her seventeen year old cousin Yoona was a dork just like she was. A little boyish and… a model. Yoona was tall, beautiful, had a perfect face, flawless body. From time to time it was making Taeyeon upset. People sometimes told her that from behind Yoona looked much older than Taeyeon does. On the other hand they both had a total baby faces, so from the front it was hard to say who the older one is. They both looked like twelve. Disturbing. Very.

Since Yoona was a model, she was traveling a lot around East Asia and sometimes even the US. Oh yeah, she was from the rich part of the family, unlike Taeyeon. But Taeyeon still loved her cousin. They didn’t meet often but once they met, it was definitely worth it. Plus Taeyeon trusted Yoona a lot. Maybe she can ask for an advice or two about Tiffany…

And if not, then at least they are going to have A LOT of fun…

 

 

Two days passed. Taeyeon was at school, but she barely talked to anybody. Yuri, big surprise, was absent again and except for exchanging a few words with Seohyun, Taeyeon didn’t really have any buddy to talk with. She met Tiffany on a hallway. They didn’t have any class together on Monday. Taeyeon tried to greet her, but Tiffany just gave her a really cold look. So Taeyeon decided to remind quiet. And she also chose to ignore Tiffany on Tuesday. It was kind of making her upset. She really wanted to talk to her. Because of the mission. She was only really very thankful Sunmi was leaving her alone for the time of being. She just found a fake spider in her locker. Which was very lame, she was not afraid of things like this. Taeyeon was pretty sure it was Yubin’s work. Sunmi wouldn’t bother with something as lame as this and Taeyeon was assuming Yenny actually knew something about her, including the fact spiders don’t scare her. After all, they used to be friends for two years. On the other hand, she never really thought Yenny was listening to her when she was talking. But she still blamed Yubin.

That afternoon, Taeyeon had no school work and she needed to clear her head a bit, reorganize the thoughts, so she decided to take Ginger for a long walk. She headed towards the forest nearby. It was a popular place of dog owners, but Taeyeon was pretty sure it would be empty in early December. She put on her earphones, some music and let Ginger off his leash. He was a good boy, he never ran too far away from her, so Taeyeon was calm. She just kept walking and walking, her dog happily running around her.

Taeyeon switched off her brain. She finally managed to get rid of all of her heavy thoughts and just enjoy the nice nature and cold weather. She had the music on a low volume, she was listening to slow, soothing songs.

Suddenly she heard Ginger barking. She quickly pulled her earphones out and looked around. She saw Ginger barking at some white fluffy ball of fur which was running towards him. The white fluffy ball jumped on Ginger and started to bite his ear. It was obviously still a puppy a little smaller than Ginger, so Taeyeon didn’t feel bothered. The dogs actually started to play together after a few seconds.

“No! Prince! Stop it!”

Taeyeon immediately lifted her head. The voice sounded freaking familiar. Too familiar. She knew who it belonged to.

She watched Tiffany running towards her white fluffy puppy called Prince and laughed a little bitterly.

Tiffany heard that and finally looked her direction. She froze. She left the dogs alone as her eyes met with Taeyeon’s.

“I sure wouldn’t expect you here,” Taeyeon said, not sure whether she should smile or not.

“Feeling the same,” Tiffany said also with no expression.

“Oh, so you are talking to me?” Taeyeon asked.

Tiffany looked away and cleared . ”Well… Since we met here coincidentally… I see no reason why I shouldn’t.”

“So what’s your reason when we meet coincidentally at the school’s hallway?”

“I don’t have anything to tell you,” Tiffany answered simply, looking back at Taeyeon.

“And now you do?”

“Well… since my dog… yeah.”

“Ah.”

“Yeah.”

Taeyeon scratched her head, watching their dogs. “They are playing well together.”

“Yes they are,” Tiffany agreed.

“What’s his name? And how old is he?” Taeyeon asked.

“I named him Prince Fluffy, but I call him just Prince. He’s just three months,” Tiffany smiled. She really seemed to be fond of her white puppy.

Taeyeon laughed. “My first thought when I saw him was that he is really fluffy, so you gave him the best name you could.”

“Yeah, it really suits him,” Tiffany chuckled. “What about your dog?”

“Oh, his name is Ginger and he’s six months,” Taeyeon smiled like a proud mommy.

Tiffany tilted her head to a side. “You named a boy dog Ginger? Really?”

“Yes, why, something weird about it?” Taeyeon frowned.

“… No, not really,” Tiffany shook her head and once again looked at the dogs. They were… “Oh god, I think your dog is… homoual,” Tiffany almost whispered the last word seeing Ginger was sniffing Prince’s and trying to jump on him.

“Ginger! Stop it! I don’t think he is, his still a puppy after all, he’s probably just fooling around. I don’t think he want to… you know. But they do say dogs and their owners resemble each other,” Taeyeon added and laughed dorkily.

Tiffany frowned a bit.

“Something’s wrong?” Taeyeon asked.

“No. I just… gays make me uncomfortable.”

“Really?” Taeyeon felt surprised and disappointed because of the statement. “I never knew.”

Tiffany smirked. “And what do you know about me?” she asked more rhetorically.

Taeyeon frowned, thinking if she should reply or no. “Nothing much I guess,” she mumbled then.

“You see,” Tiffany answered matter-of-factly.

“You can tell me something more about yourself if you want to, you know,” Taeyeon shrugged casually.

“Yeah, well, that won’t happen,” Tiffany shrugged. “Prince, come on, let’s go,” she ordered her dog, who was still happily playing with Ginger. “Prince!” she repeated and when the dog refused to listen she simply took him into her arms and without a single look for Taeyeon she started to walk away. “Bye,” she said simply.

“Wait!” Taeyeon yelled. Tiffany indeed did stop and turned around, her eyebrows risen.

“What?”

“Uhm… well…”

Think Kim Taeyeon, think!!

“Well?”

“Well… you paid our bill last time! I feel like I should buy a coffee or something,” Taeyeon said quickly.

Wow, that was a good one.

Tiffany smiled for a second. “Maybe next time.”

Maybe next time… Next time sounds… okay.

 

 

Yuri was late for school. That wasn’t any breaking news. She was almost always late, she didn’t bother to rush.

She was late for whatever class, she didn’t even know which one, she just knew it’s one of the classrooms on the first floor. She opened every door, one by one, looking for familiar faces.

Suddenly she spotted a person coming from the other side, doing the same thing.

“Jessica Jung,” Yuri said flatly as she saw her.

“Ah, Kwon Yuri, exactly the person I wanna talk with,” Jessica smirked.

“Why?” Yuri frowned. The two never really talked to each other. Jessica’s pure existence was pissing Yuri off for many reasons. One of them was her unbearable hotness. And the fact she was genial. And rich. And gorgeous.

“Apparently we’re project partners. Are you going to do that experiment?” Jessica asked.

Yuri was thinking for a while, trying to recall what project Jessica is talking about. By the time she remembered, Jessica figured out what that dumb expression on Yuri’s face means.

“Physics, idiot,” Jessica explained. Her voice was driving Yuri crazy. It was pissing her off the most about Jessica. It was so high pitched and princess like. It made her look even more arrogant.

“Ah, right, I’m so not doing it,” Yuri said.

“Okay, me neither.”

“Okay,” Yuri started to walk away, wanting to keep looking for her classroom.

“Hey, Kwon Yuri,” Jessica stopped her once again.

“What is it?” Yuri groaned and turned around.

Jessica bit her lip before she opened and slowly started. “I’ve heard you’re gay,” she said quietly.

Yuri looked at her, confused. “Yes, breaking news, everybody knows that,” she said. “What’s your point?”

“Well… I’ve also heard you… don’t discriminate.”

Yuri still had the same puzzled expression. “I’m sorry, I don’t talk smart-people-ish. Please use simple expressions I understand.”

Jessica sighed. “I heard you don’t mind ing random people.”

Yuri proudly smiled. “Oh yeah, I am very popular within girls,” she bragged immediately.

“Would you mind putting me on the list?”

“Wait…” Yuri frowned a bit, thinking. “What exactly are you suggesting?”

“You know, you’re not that dumb.”

“OH MY GOD JESSICA JUNG WANTS TO ME!” Yuri yelled in disbelieve and it totally echoed all over the school.

Jessica whined, covering her face with her hands. “Kwon Yuriiiii! Are you ing kidding me? The entire school just heard you! Oh my god!” Jessica grabbed Yuri’s wrist and pulled her towards the closest bathroom, right in time before the door of one classroom opened and a teacher peeked outside, looking for the source of the noise.

Jessica was peeking outside the bathroom, seeing it. “I swear I just heard Jessica Jung’s name and , but I couldn’t figure out the rest of the sentence, could you?” she heard the dialogue of the two students in the classroom sitting near the door.

Jessica exhaled in relieve. Thank god Yuri pronounces like a Neanderthal. Once the teacher closed the door, Jessica stopped peeking and closed the door as well, before looking at Yuri, who was standing in the middle of the bathroom, arms crossed, head tilted to the side. Her expression suggested she was irritated but also kind of surprised.

“Sorry, Jessica, friends only,” she said. She had no interest in touching Jessica in any inappropriate way. Or in any way actually.

“What do you mean?”

“That I’m not interested in being your science experiment, no matter what you are trying to prove to yourself or to anybody else by it,” Yuri answered.

Jessica sighed. She looked… sad.

“Why do you wanna do this anyways?” Yuri asked.

“I’m not sure. If you understand,” Jessica said.

“Oh…” Yuri mumbled and scratched her head.

“You don’t get it, do you?” Jessica said, annoyed.

“No,” Yuri smiled.

“I’m not sure if I’m as straight as I thought I was! Oh my god, you are so ing stupid, how do people like you?” Jessica complained.

“You think you’re gay?” Yuri asked to make sure.

“Yes,” Jessica nodded, still being very irritated. “Don’t forget to yell and announce it to the entire school again.”

“Oh, no, sorry, don’t worry, but well… it’s still friends only,” Yuri shrugged.

“Can’t I be an exception?”

“No,” Yuri slowly shook her head, her voice low. “Why don’t you just ask your friend Tiffany? She seems like she, I’ll use your words, doesn’t discriminate either.”

Jessica frowned. Yuri didn’t like that expression. She wasn’t sure what that means, but Jessica sure looked upset about what Yuri just said. “What do you know about Tiffany?”

Yuri shrugged. “That she’s very friendly with people in private.”

“She’s straight.”

“And how is that a problem? There’s no rule saying that straight people are allowed to sleep only with opposite . You have to admit I have a point.”

“ you, Yuri, forget I’ve ever asked, I was stupid thinking that you could help me out,” Jessica said angrily and left the bathroom.

Yuri tiled her head to the side as she looked at the door that Jessica harshly closed as she left. “Interesting.”

 

 

Taeyeon had three weeks left. A few days passed, another weekend came, and she hasn’t talked to Tiffany a single word. Sunmi confronted her only once. Taeyeon noticed how significantly richer she got over the past few days Sunmi stopped taking her money.

“Use the money I’m letting you have to bribe her,” Sunmi joked about it that one time.

Very funny. That weekend, Taeyeon took Ginger to a long walk. She was bored, had nothing to do, didn’t want to study. She soon found herself standing in front of her school. She sighed, looking at it. She didn’t know why she decided to walk that way, she probably just chose the way she knew the best.

She sure didn’t expect anybody to be in school during the weekend, but suddenly the door opened. Taeyeon assumed it must be a cleaning lady or secretary, or simply some employee, but she was wrong. Students. A boy and a girl. And she knew them. Both of them.

It was Donghae, Sunmi’s… now already ex-boyfriend. And… it was a girl with hair similar to Tiffany’s. … Yura!

“Oh my god!” Taeyeon gasped and quickly turned around, putting her hoodie over her head, so they wouldn’t see her.

She was thinking hard. Yura and Tiffany looked a bit alike… No, not really, it was just the hair, but still… That one night she thought she saw Donghae with Tiffany, it pretty much could have been Yura as well. She didn’t see the girl’s face, just her hair and yeah… Yura…

Yura was the janitor’s daughter. She had keys… And these two would meet at school because Yura has a lot of siblings and Donghae is a spoiled rich douche whose parents sure as hell wouldn’t be supportive about this relationship.

Taeyeon frowned. She was totally overthinking the whole thing. But… who knows? It could be actually correct? Or not? Taeyeon was secretly watching them leave.

Then another thought crossed her mind. Sunmi’s taking revenge on Tiffany for something she didn’t even do. Probably. Unless the player Donghae switched to another girl that quickly. That’s… Taeyeon needs to tell Sunmi about it. But… what if Sunmi tells her to seduce Yura instead? Yura, quite a mean girl as well, homophobic and obviously dating Donghae. Or sleeping with him. Plus now when Taeyeon’s on… friendly terms with Tiffany. Are those considered friendly terms? Taeyeon wasn’t sure. Now she had a lot of things to think about, to consider. What’s more important? Her own well-being or being honest and fair? She knew she was selfish. She always knew this thing about herself. She needs to finish what she started. Tiffany will suffer for only four months. That’s not that bad. She can manage. Taeyeon gulped. She wasn’t sure what to do. What if Sunmi is wrong about Tiffany sleeping with Donghae? It definitely seems like it and if that’s so… Tiffany doesn’t deserve it. But… do I deserve it? No. Life ain’t fair. Deal with it.

And then another thought crossed her mind. If the Donghae rumor isn’t true… how many more rumors aren’t true as well?

 

 

“She’s acting so ing weird lately.”

“I don’t think the rumors are true, is it possible?”

“She’s probably just awkward because of the weird request.”

“I don’t think it’s possible for the rumors to be lies.”

“Maybe I shouldn’t have turned her down.”

“She would definitely say something if it wasn’t true. Why wouldn’t she, right?”

“Maybe I’ll tell Jessica I changed my mind. She’s hot after all. No, I’m not that easy.”

“It’s really strange, she’s a mystery.”

“Who the am I kidding; I am that easy. I kind of want to have with Jessica Jung.”

“She’s a bit- wait, whaaaat did you just say?” Taeyeon stopped walking and looked at her friend. They were on their way from school. It was Monday and Yuri actually arrived that day. What a surprise. No sarcasm involved. Taeyeon was observing Tiffany. She seemed same as always – distant, mysterious, beautiful, rumors floating around and she didn’t care at all. Yuri was observing Jessica. Jessica was… well, sleeping most of the time, but when she didn’t, she seemed a bit anxious. Which was quite an unusual thing, Jessica was always… expressionless. Spacing out or simply just looking arrogant. Yuri couldn’t stand it.

“I said I’d like to have with Jessica Jung,” Yuri repeated as she stopped as well.

“What? You hate Jessica Jung more than anybody else on this planet!” Taeyeon exclaimed in disbelieve.

“Yeah, she’s a … but you know, sleeping with the enemy… is ing hot,” Yuri said in a low voice.

“Oh god, seriously, you are so… whatever, whatever,” Taeyeon just shrugged and started to walk again.

Yuri quickly caught up. “So what. It’s just a , it’s not like I would fall in love with her. Or she would fall in love with me. And it’s kind of a challenge. You know… I’ve never had with somebody I hate and who hates me… or at least I think she hates me, even if she didn’t before, she sure does now,” Yuri smirked. “On the other hand, even though she’s hot, she’s such a turn off. Her annoying voice and those bored faces she makes… I don’t know, she looks like a total pillow princess. I need to think about this.”

“You’re sick and you need a professional help,” Taeyeon answered matter-of-factly.

“I know I do, I don’t care,” Yuri smiled. “What were you saying about Tiffany though?”

Taeyeon sighed. “Do you think she really is like everybody says?”

“A ?” Yuri asked to make sure. Taeyeon nodded. “Yes,” Yuri answered then, with absolutely no hesitation. “Don’t you?”

Taeyeon shrugged. “I don’t know anymore. She’s confusing. I just… don’t know…”

 

 

“Im Yoona!!!” Taeyeon shrieked in excitement when she spotted her younger cousin in the middle of their living room.

“Hi unnie,” the tall model smiled as the shorter girl ran towards her to hug her.

“Welcome back in your homeland!” Taeyeon laughed as she let Yoona go. “I’ve heard you were in Japan. How was your journey, everything was fine? And how are you? You got more beautiful since the last time I saw you. And taller too.”

Yoona chuckled. “I’m still the same, unnie. You’re the one who got shorter,” Yoona teased.

Taeyeon frowned, acting insulted. “You’re right, you’re still the same,” she said then, smiling happily. “So really, how have you been, my little cousin?”

“Good, working hard, I’ll never finish high school like that,” she said. “But good.”

“Problems at school?” Taeyeon asked as they went into her little room and sat on the bed where Ginger was. “I thought you have a special program.”

“Yes, I do, of course I do, no way I’d pass my exams if I didn’t, but it can still be a bit too much from time to time.”

“Ah, I get it… I get it…”

“Do you have some kind of problems, unnie? You seem a bit down.”

Taeyeon just smiled and shook her head. “It’s nothing serious. Just girl issues, you know,” she said.

Yoona slowly nodded, like she was thinking. She knew her cousin preferred girls to boys for some time already. “Liking somebody?”

“Well… no, not really, but trying to seduce her.”

Yoona gave her a questioning look. “Excuse me?”

“It was a bet,” Taeyeon said the same old lie she was telling everybody.

Yoona was still kind of confused. “Okay. Weird. Well… You’re failing?” she asked.

“Yes, hard,” Taeyeon nodded. “She’s straight.”

“Ah, I see… Why did you agree with the bet then? Didn’t you know?”

“Oh, I did, I knew it very well, but… I kind of didn’t have a choice, it’s a bit more complicated, whatever, not important.”

“Can I help you somehow? You know, to turn her gay or something,” Yoona said half joking half serious.

Taeyeon laughed. “I don’t know. Maybe. But I don’t think you can actually turn somebody gay or straight.”

“You sure?” Yoona asked, this time one hundred percent serious.

“Yes, pretty much. Why?” Taeyeon asked.

“Just wondering…” Yoona sighed. “How do you even know you’re gay? I don’t understand this.”

“Well… you just know it. Do you… doubt yourself?” Taeyeon asked, raising her eyebrows.

Yoona shrugged. “Don’t know.”

“Aww, let me tell you one thing,” Taeyeon said, putting her arm around Yoona’s shoulder. “Just like what you like, it doesn’t need a label. Just do what you feel is right and don’t think about labels. Love is love. What made you doubt your uality?”

“Well…” Yoona blushed a bit. “We were shooting photos for a jeans commercial and there was a girl I was shooting with, totally beautiful, a bit older than us and they gave her a… really daring shirt. And the photographer was like… ‘Lie down next to her and touch her thigh!’… And it made me a bit uncomfortable,” Yoona admitted the whole truth, her cheeks still a bit pink.

You’re so gay, Taeyeon thought. But she can’t say that aloud, that would probably freak Yoona out. “Yeah, well, it seems a bit… You could be biual I guess,” she said then, scratching her head.

“Yeah, I guess so…” Yoona sighed.

“I’ll help you figure it out,” Taeyeon winked. “You can try to help me with my lovely seducing mission and maybe it will help you as well with your problems. Deal?”

“… Deal.”

 

A/N: Back with an update! :)

Thank you all very much for reading & for the comments! Love you all :)

I would tell you what to expect in the next chapter, but I don't have it yet, so... uhm... but there will be some YulSic :)