The End of HoMin

For You, Anything... And Everything
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A/N: Hi, all! This chapter was originally meant to be called “To Set You Free,” but then I realized the third chapter of this story was named “The Start of HoMin,” and won’t it be fitting to have a parallel one called “The End of HoMin”? It had a start… and now an end.

The elevator doors opened, and Changmin slowly stepped out into the corridor. As the doors closed again behind him, he let out a heavy sigh.

It was already past midnight. Though practice had ended early that day thanks to Lee Soo Man’s announcement that Yunjae would perform a duet in the SM Town concert, Changmin delayed his return to their apartment. He had badgered Kyuhyun and dragged him off to a late dinner after Kyuhyun’s musical rehearsal, even if Kyuhyun whined about being tired and just wanting to go home. The DBSK maknae also chose the longest route going home afterwards.

Deep down, Changmin knew that he was only delaying the inevitable. God, to be honest, this has been delayed for too long already. Years, even. This had to be done. This should have been done a long time ago.

But far too often, the right thing is the hardest to do.

Changmin took slow, heavy steps down the corridor – each one bringing him closer to what he felt would be his destruction. Well, maybe “destruction” is a slight exaggeration, but he knew for sure that his heart, for one, will not survive the next hour whole and intact.

Soon – far too soon – he reached their front door. He took a moment to just stare at it. Beyond this door is their home. A place of comfort. He wondered idly if it would remain that way after tonight. Would it still offer him comfort? Or will there only be awkwardness and sadness after he did the hardest thing he would ever have to do?

Nothing in their home will ever be the same again, that’s for sure.

Changmin opened the door with his keys and stepped inside. He could hear the sound of the television from the living room. Yunho was still awake. He knew that was a good thing. He needed Yunho awake for that conversation, after all. But a part of him – the part that dealt with self-preservation and wanted to hold off his own destruction as long as possible – wished that Yunho had been already asleep, so that he would have some excuse to delay it a bit more. Until the next morning, at least.

Delay, delay, delay.

Delay longer.

Delay as long as possible.

But Changmin knew it wasn’t possible. Not anymore. The longer he delayed this, the longer he kept Yunho from the path that would finally lead the older man to his true happiness. The longer he delayed, the longer Yunho had more reasons to wallow in bitterness and resentment. The longer he kept Yunho tied to him, the longer Yunho was kept from the one person who could truly heal him – who could make him happy and whole again.

That gave Changmin the strength now to do what must be done. This is for Yunho. Always for Yunho.

“Hey, Min,” Yunho smiled, looking away from the television screen as Changmin appeared by the living room entrance.

Changmin just nodded vaguely as he approached the sofa and sat beside Yunho. He made sure to put as much space as possible between them.

Of course, Yunho gave him a puzzled look. “What are you doing all the way over there?” the leader asked with a slightly confused smile. He reached over and pulled Changmin closer, wrapping his arms around the maknae and keeping him pressed against his side.

Changmin closed his eyes, allowing himself one last time to relish Yunho’s hug. Even if things between them were still good after tonight, even if he could feel Yunho’s hug again, it will never be like this. He will never get to feel Yunho’s hug as a beloved ever again.

“Did you have fun with Kyuhyun?” Yunho inquired. He knew his maknae had spent the evening with his counterpart from Super Junior.

With all the strength left in him, Changmin took a deep breath and finally drew away from the hug. He wriggled free of Yunho’s arms completely and moved a bit away from him again.

“We need to talk.”

“Did you two evil maknaes do something wrong again?” Yunho immediately asked, raising his eyebrows. He gave the younger a look that was a mixture of disapproval and resignation. “Do Leeteuk and I need to pay for damages and beg for forgiveness on your behalves again?”

The possibilities of chaos and mayhem were endless when it comes to Changmin and Kyuhyun, after all.

“Let’s break up.”

Yunho stared blankly at Changmin for a moment, uncomprehending. Then, his mind processed what Changmin just said. Yunho’s eyes widened in shock.

“What?”

Surely, he must have misheard Changmin?

“We should end our relationship, Yunho. It’s just not… right… anymore. This will be better. Better for you…”

Every word was causing Changmin pain, but he still persevered to say them. He had to set Yunho free. He just had to.

Yunho couldn’t believe that Changmin was serious. Maybe the maknae was playing another prank on him? It was not a very good one, if so. Yunho had been a victim of Changmin’s pranks many times over the years. He was therefore sort of immune to them to some degree. He was more used to them than other people. But this. This kind of prank was below the line.

The leader was about to tell the maknae off for joking about such a thing, but then he saw the look in Changmin’s eyes. He saw the pain… and the determination. Yunho then realized that Changmin really was serious about this.

“Why, Changmin?”

Yunho was shocked.

Surprised.

Confused.

Bewildered.

He just couldn’t understand.

(In the back of his mind, though, h

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter