Chapter 08

SM Boarding School

 


Day two

If Eunhyuk would sleep forever then Donghae was sure he would fall in love with him. When sleeping he was that angel Donghae though about the first time he saw him. He had never seen Eunhyuk looking like that; eyes peacefully closed, his messy brown hair resting over his forehead and his mouth slightly open. He looked years younger. The badass Eunhyuk was nowhere to be found. He was a baby now.

A song Donghae couldn’t recognize started playing. It was Eunhyuk’s phone, the alarm telling them that it was time to wake up. Donghae chuckled in his mind, finding it ironic that he had been up hours before the alarm would start. After yesterday’s incident Donghae couldn’t fall asleep again. He had literally been lying in his sleeping bag, watching Eunhyuk till the sunrise.

Eunhyuk frowned, his eyes still being closed, annoyed by the sound that interrupted his sleep; like a little child does when his mother tells him it’s time for school. He moved a little, but still had his eyes closed, and Donghae had to bite his bottom lip to not smile at the unfamiliar cuteness. He looked somewhere else when he noticed that Eunhyuk started to open his eyes. 


The sun was shining bright and the students comforted themselves with the knowledge that it would be a nice weather today too. The teacher gathered them together, 8a.m, to eat breakfast. Donghae didn’t notice the glances he received from Eunhyuk, Siwon and even Sungmin and Shindong. And he didn’t notice the glare Siwon gave the three friends when realizing that something must have happened. Honestly, he was too tired to notice. And if he did, then he was too tired to care.

After breakfast they got 20 minutes to get ready before they would start their first task. Eunhyuk and Donghae didn’t say a word to each other during those minutes. Eunhyuk got ready in ten minutes while Donghae had troubles getting dressed since his wrist still hurt. They still didn’t say anything and Eunhyuk left to hang out with his friends. When Donghae was finished he didn’t see Eunhyuk anywhere and calculated that he would be doing everything by himself – again. He liked it better that way though, so he didn’t complain at all. 

Almost all students had already left to explore the forest – even Siwon – and Donghae was probably the last student to leave. He carried all books and notes he needed before starting his incredibly interesting mission.


All trees looked the same. Seriously. Donghae didn’t understand anything. ‘This tree has leafs of this size which are bigger than this tree’s leafs’. To Donghae all trees in this forest looked the same. And they had way too complicated names. He watched the photo in one of the books his teacher had given them and then looked the tree in front of him. He didn’t get it.

He looked at the picture again. Then at the tree. He sighed. This was impossible. He decided that it wasn’t even worth trying and put his book down to keep walking. He was holding way too many books with only one hand and it didn’t surprise him that he eventually dropped half of them. He crouched down to pick them up but didn’t even have time to touch them before he suddenly saw a foot pressing his two books down. He looked up and saw a smirking Eunhyuk, smiling devilishly at him. He screw his foot, only to emphasize what he was doing, before walking away with some laughing classmates after him. Donghae didn’t even mind to glare. Instead, he picked up his books and tried to brush some of the dirt off. He didn’t even mind to sigh.

When Donghae decided to completely give up he saw his supposed team mate walk towards him. He was alone and Donghae even dared to think that he was on his way to help Donghae. And luckily he was, since he stopped beside Donghae, when Donghae pretended to be deeply concentrated in his tree studying.

“Thanks for your help.” Donghae said, still looking at the tree; pretending that he was deeply concentrated in his work. “I mean, I wouldn’t be able to do this if it wasn’t for you.”

“You’re welcome.”

Donghae turned to glare at him. He didn’t want to provoke the other, but he couldn’t help it. He was kind of getting tired of all this. How can a person be so complicated? “Do you even realize how fake you are?” he asked, looking Eunhyuk direct in the eyes.

Eunhyuk stared at him, at first not exactly understanding what the younger was saying to him. He was surprised, too surprised to get angry. Too surprised to even reply. His eyebrows slowly rose. Donghae gave him one last glare. 

“Never mind.” he said in a low voice, both to himself and to Eunhyuk. He pressed three books against Eunhyuk’s chest, hard, and Eunhyuk grabbed the books in reflex. “My wrist hurts.” was all the explanation he got before Donghae walked away. 


Donghae wasn’t sad. He was pissed off. He was blessed with something called ‘patience’, but he was human too and his patience wasn’t totally persistent. He was walking with fast and angry steps, still glaring at whatever his eyes met. Then he saw their class sitting in a circle on the ground, with their teacher standing in the middle – talking to them – and he had to try to put his angry mood aside before approaching.

“Ah, Donghae shi!” the man said and beckoned him to come closer. “Where’s Hyukjae shi?” Donghae shrugged his shoulders and something told the teacher that he shouldn't ask more about it. Their teacher started talking about how wonderful nature was. Most of the students were just yawning while others kept whispering to each other – not even minding to pretend that they were listening. After almost half an hour he let the students continue with their work. During their teacher's speak Eunhyuk silently walked over to Sungmin and sat down beside him.

Siwon asked Donghae how everything was going and Donghae was about to answer that everything went fine, especially when Eunhyuk wasn’t there, when a voice made Donghae go quiet. 

“Donghae yah.”

Donghae froze. The voice calling him was familiar, however; the voice calling his name was unfamiliar. Eunhyuk, Lee Hyukjae, the bastard, the angelic , had called him by his name for the first time. Not “you”, not “idiot”, not “stupid”, but “
Donghae”. Donghae’s heart skipped a beat and his cheeks grew a bit red. How absurd. He cleared his throat before answering. “What?”

Eunhyuk, not taking notice of anything, pointed at a tree in the book before pointing at the tree in front of him. Donghae walked over, also looking inside the book.

“It’s not the same.” he said.

“Yes, it is.”

“No.”

Eunhyuk didn’t seem to care that Donghae was arguing with him. He just looked surprised that Donghae wasn’t agreeing. He carefully looked at the real tree and the picture. “Yes, it is.” he said again.

“I’m telling you, it’s not the same.” 

Donghae noticed too late that his tongue and mind had been taking a break and he had spoken with his dialect. Perfect. Especially when the whole class was nearby. Sungmin burst out laughing, together with the other students and Donghae glared at babyface boy. He did like he always did, ignoring the laughs and comments, comments like “how can you talk like that?” and “how embarrassing!”.

He looked at Eunhyuk who was biting his bottom lip; trying to hide a smile. Not a smirk, but just a gentle and cute smile.  He wasn’t making fun of him and Donghae couldn’t stop thinking that Eunhyuk’s smile was... very weird. Very weird but yet very charming. He took the book from Eunhyuk’s hands and pretended that nothing happened, even though he was smiling in his heart and soul. 


The sun was already making its way down and Donghae could call this a successful day. He was happy. He was sitting on the grass together with Siwon, eating noodles and enjoying the beautiful nature. They didn’t even talk to each other, but just watched the sunset; exchanging satisfied sighs every now and then. When their eyes met they just smiled to each other, still not saying anything.


When time was getting near bedtime both Eunhyuk and Donghae were reading books, since there really wasn’t much more to do. They were, as always, sitting as far away as possible from each other. Neither of them liked the book they were reading but as said, there wasn’t anything else to do. Suddenly Sungmin was standing outside their tent, calling for Eunhyuk, in a low voice, to not being heard by the teacher. The teacher had given them the same rules here as in school: do not be outside after 10p.m. And both Donghae and Eunhyuk knew that it was far past 10p.m. 

Eunhyuk put his book down and was about to open the tent when Donghae felt a stab in his stomach. Alone in a tiny tent in a dark forest. He acted on pure impulse and grabbed Eunhyuk’s wrist. “Don’t leave.” he said, his body and mouth acting faster than his brain. He had no idea why he did or said that. 

“Uh, what?” Eunhyuk asked, being just as surprised as Donghae was.

“I mean... You’ll get in trouble”. Silence. “Yeah, you’re right.” Donghae sighed. “I don’t care if you get in trouble. In fact, I’ll be pretty happy if you do get in trouble.” 

Eunhyuk didn’t have to be a genius to understand what Donghae wanted. He cursed himself for being such a softie and even having a second thought. He should just leave. He didn’t care about Donghae. Honestly. “If you’re scared then just call your friend”. He tried to fight against that thing called conscience and leave, but Donghae was still holding him.

“No, don’t!” he said and when Eunhyuk turned to face him again he had to fight against a blush. “I can’t wake him up. He was really tired. Just don’t leave. It doesn’t matter that it’s you, I just don’t want to be alone.”

One thousand mean comments came to mind and Eunhyuk tried to force out at least one of them. But instead he kept thinking about Donghae the previous night, when waking up in panic because of a nightmare. “Do you often have nightmares?” he asked. Donghae let go of Eunhyuk’s wrist, trusting that he wasn’t going to leave, and shrugged his shoulders. He didn’t want to answer honestly to that, but Eunhyuk clearly saw what the real answer was. “Because of what happened to you?” 

Donghae shrugged his shoulders again. “Just stay.” he said, before lying down. Eunhyuk sighed soundlessly before nodding. He opened his handbag and took out his pink milk and cell phone.


For the first times in days Donghae didn’t wake up because of a nightmare. Instead he woke up because of a sound. Someone was walking outside his tent. He flew up in a sitting position, feeling the adrenaline rushing though his veins. Then he tried to calm himself down when think that there was like ten other tents there too, belonging to his classmates, and even one tent belonging to their teacher. He shouldn’t get scared. But just in case, he turned to wake Eunhyuk up, only to discover that Eunhyuk wasn’t there. He heard a giggle and someone telling Shindong to shut up. He reached forward to the tent but the person on the other side was faster. Hyukjae, having red eyes, looked at him in surprise, as if asking what Donghae was doing there. “Hello there.” he said, both in surprise and amusement.

Donghae didn’t answer but kept looking at him in a mix between surprise and confusion. They hadn’t been out doing something bad, had they? Eunhyuk straggling, his lazy smile and the strong smell of alcohol spoke for themselves. 

The older one, standing on one leg, was about to take his shoes off before entering the tent when he lost his balance and just fell – his body landing over Donghae’s and supporting his hands on each side of Donghae’s head. Donghae just stared at him, eyes opened wide, and he held his breath both because of the shock and because of the smell. Having Eunhyuk that close, his face inches away from his own and their bodies pressed together made Donghae’s mind blank. And Eunhyuk not moving wasn’t helping. Instead the older smirked.

“Actually...” he said in a sloppy voice, his eyes blinking slowly. “You're not that bad.” 

It was kind of hard trying to understand what the drunk male was saying and Donghae was positive he had misheard him. He must have. “Wh-what?” was the only thing that came to mind and Donghae felt like an idiot since he didn’t push him away.

Eunhyuk’s face slowly approached Donghae’s and Donghae widened his eyes even more – if that even was possible. What was going on? “You’re so pretty.” Eunhyuk said in a whisper, but Donghae heard him clearly. “So cute... Are you really a guy?” 

Donghae was about to ask him again what the heck was going on but his tongue suddenly seemed to be numb, and he couldn’t form any words at all. Instead, his heart started to beat faster. Without being prepared their lips touched and Donghae could swear his heart just stopped beating. He was paralyzed; not knowing what he should do. He wasn’t thinking when he slowly closed his eyes and parted his lips and seconds later felt and unfamiliar tongue starting to explore his mouth. 

A cold hand sneaked down and inside Donghae’s shirt, making Donghae gasp and his body wince. But he didn’t come back to earth until the hand started to inch its way up on his upper body. What the...? He opened his eyes and sat up; pushing Eunhyuk away and stretching out his arm to keep their distance in arm’s length. “Wh-what are you doing?” he asked. He should have asked himself the same thing. 

Eunhyuk looked at him with tired eyes. He shrugged his shoulders before giving the younger a lazy smile, one of those smiles that always reminded Donghae of how good looking his enemy was. Then he just lied down over his sleeping bag, as if nothing particular or unusual had happened, his back facing Donghae. Donghae stared at him. What did just happen?

 


 

Posted on: 28th September. 2011. Wednesday.