Chapter 22.5

SM Boarding School

Some of Kibum's friends had asked him if he and Ryeowook wanted to go downtown after school. But Kibum wasn't in the mood and his friends knew it already – they just asked to be polite – so no one was surprised when he turn them down. 

Kibum threw himself on his bed, face down. He sighed heavily. It was weird that everything had affected him so much. He didn't care about Eunhyuk more than anyone else in this school. Sure, he didn't want Eunhyuk to die because Kibum was also a human being, but he honestly didn't care about Eunhyuk that much. Why would he? But when remembering Donghae, the way he looked so desperate and lost, the way he cried and screamed, Kibum felt his whole body tense. That had been the most horrible thing he had ever seen. 

“Kibum ah...” Ryeowook said carefully.

It took a few seconds before Kibum rolled over, lying on his back, eyes on the ceiling. “What?”

“You're in love with Donghae hyung, aren't you?” 

The hesitation in Ryeowook's question, should he really ask?, was obvious both to him and Kibum. Kibum was still facing the ceiling and he didn't reply. He didn't mind shaking his head or respond verbally. Deep inside Ryeowook knew he was right, both of them knew that. 

“I just knew.” Ryeowook continued and Kibum still didn't say anything. 

There was an awkward silence because neither of them knew how to react. Ryeowook asked himself if he was doing wrong in sticking his nose into Kibum's business. Kibum asked himself if he should deny it or unburden his heart. 

“You never told me anything about the relationships you've had. And I didn't ask because I thought you didn't want to tal–”

“Donghae hyung and I were together right before he entered this school.” Kibum interrupted him, before he had the time to change his mind. He sat up on his bed, back against the wall, watching as Ryeowook slowly sat down on his own bed; both of them looking at each other. Kibum sighed. “We were together for almost a year.”

“Why did you break up?” 

The brunet shrugged his shoulders a little, as he started to play with his fingers, and Ryeowook knew he did it because he was uncomfortable. He was about to say Kibum didn't have to tell him if he didn't want to, but Kibum was faster.

“I used to travel to Mokpo because he didn't have money enough to come to Seoul. One day I just stopped coming”.Ryeowook didn't have to ask why, because the surprised and confused look on his face spoke of themselves. “I really liked him and he really liked me, but I couldn't let my parents find out. I got scared and I thought that if I left just like that he would eventually forget about me. I never imagined him entering this school though.” 

There was a moment of silence and Kibum chuckled a little sadly to himself and shook his head; not understanding how he could have thrown away something like that so easily. “Turns out my parents were fine with it. I told them a couple of months ago that I had dated a guy... They were fine with it.”

Kibum didn't cry, his eyes weren't even teary. He didn't look sad, but just completely hopeless. He shrugged his shoulders a little, his right hand running through his hair. 

“I'm sorry.” Ryeowook said in a low voice because he had no idea what else to say.

“No need to be sorry. I screwed up. Donghae hyung liked me a lot so he must have been really sad when I left. But when he saw me here he wasn't angry at me. He asked once why I left but I didn't answer.” 

He was about to say that he didn't deserve Donghae for leaving like that, but he didn't because he knew that would reopen old wounds. Eunhyuk didn't deserve Donghae either. Kibum knew Donghae deserved to be happy and he knew how much Donghae loved Eunhyuk. He also knew why Eunhyuk was in the hospital right now, because of Donghae. But thoughts like this, thoughts that said he should be the one with Donghae right now, couldn't stop running through his head. Thoughts that told him he and Donghae were meant for each other and that if it wasn't for Kibum being a stupid, idiotic, pathetic coward they would still be together. It hurt.

“I don't wanna talk about this.” Kibum said in a low voice and Ryeowook nodded. 

Kibum wasn't the type to cry easily and he wasn't the type to talk about how he felt either. Usually he would just sit there quietly and not let people know what was happening in his mind. Whenever he felt like crying he would leave and whenever he felt angry he would stay quiet. He had always been like that, so at this moment Ryeowook didn't know what Kibum felt. He didn't know if Kibum wanted to cry but didn't dare to. 

After a few seconds of silence Ryeowook got up from his bed and Kibum lift his head at the sound of Ryeowook walking towards him. The shorter one walked over to Kibum's bed and sat down, Ryeowook's back against the wall too and their arms touching. He leaned his head on Kibum's shoulder and grabbed Kibum's hand. They stayed like that in silence, Ryeowook toying with Kibum's fingers.

“You're a good person.” Ryeowook said. “You're gonna find someone that's meant for you.”

Kibum nodded, even thought that thought seemed so impossible, so far away, at the moment.

Kibum didn't hate Donghae or Eunhyuk. He didn't hate anyone and he didn't judge anyone either. He was sixteen years old, he had his whole life ahead of him, with friends backing him up even when he would screw up. This is life; you get sad, happy, desperate, immature... You forget everything that actually means something, friends and family, because of a temporarily obsession. There was no need for him to hate or judge anyone. He was ready to move on, to grow up. 

A small smile appeared on his lips and he sighed; feeling the last weight on his chest leave his body. He leaned his head too, his read resting over Ryeowook's as he looked down at their hands. 

 

~ * ~


“Sungmin shi.” their Korean teacher suddenly said when Sungmin was packing his books into his bag. A few students had already left and the classroom was filled with chatter and gossip. Donghae was standing up in front of his desk and packing down his book too, facing Sungmin's direction. He followed the teacher with his eyes as the man walked over to Sungmin. 

The teacher crouched down beside Sungmin's desk and something told Donghae he should wait before leaving. The classroom wasn't that big, and Donghae would have heard what the teacher said if it wasn't for the two girls sitting behind Donghae who were talking loudly about a cute new student. Donghae mentally cursed them and slapped them in his mind for being so loud. The teacher said something, Donghae being too busy being angry to try reading his lips, and suddenly Sungmin froze. 

Donghae froze too, because even though he hadn't heard what the teacher said he knew who it was about. 

Sungmin's eyes were wide open in shock, eyes staring at nowhere in particular. His hands slowly went up to cover his mouth, and Donghae saw tears running down his cheeks. But the teacher was smiling, placed a cheerful hand on Sungmin's shoulder and Sungmin just nodded at whatever the teacher said before quickly running his hands over his eyes. A small smile appeared on his lips. 

That's when Donghae knew. He turned his head to look at Siwon, who without him noticing also had been watching Sungmin and the teacher. Siwon smiled at him, dimples on his cheek, and moved closer to give his friend a side hug; pressing Donghae close to him and resting his head over Donghae's because the other was so short. 

Donghae was smiling too, for the first time not because he had to but because he was happy; a genuine smile Siwon had missed for too long. 

Eunhyuk was alright.  

 

~ * ~


Thick light gray clouds were making Seoul gray today. Tiny snowflakes were falling down from the sky, the first snowflakes of this year's winter. Children ran outside this Sunday afternoon, yelling and laughing and trying to catch the snow with their mouth or hands who were inside colorful mittens. There wasn't enough snow for them to play and as soon as the flakes touched the ground they sank into the asphalt; not leaving any trace behind. But that didn't stop the little ones from having the time of their life. 

Eunhyuk watched through the window as two little girls were spinning fast, with outstretched arms and facing the sky with opened mouths. One girl lost her balance and fell which cause both of them to burst out in laughter. Eunhyuk smiled. 

The doctors here were nice, the bed was comfortable and the food was eatable. But that wasn't enough for Eunhyuk wanting to stay. The nights were so quiet and lonely and cold, it made him depressed and his nurse had an awful timing. Whenever he felt he wanted some time alone she would knock on his door and ask if everything was fine, if he wanted something and talk about how Christmas was getting near. Whenever he felt lonely she wouldn't come.

Eunhyuk didn't want to lie in a bed because he wasn't able to walk without help. He wanted to dance. He wanted to hear the music, feel it going through his veins, through every inch of his body and forget everything outside the trance he got into whenever he danced. But no, instead he was stuck here, being forced to call for help whenever he wanted to get up and just stretch his legs. 


Someone knocked the door and Eunhyuk didn't reply because he just knew it was the nurse, again, because right now he wasn't in the mood for visitors. What the , she was here just fifteen minutes ago.

“You awake?” a voice asked, a voice way too manly to belong to the nurse. 

“No, hyung. I'm sleeping.” Eunhyuk said flatly, not being in the mood for jokes. But a stupid question deserves a stupid answer. 

Leeteuk grinned before stepping inside the room and closing the door behind him.  “How are you?” 

Eunhyuk shrugged his shoulders, not really being in the mood for talking about how he felt. He was bored, his body hurt and he wanted to get out of there, what more is there to say? He hated how that was the only thing people asked, “how are you”, every single time someone would visit him. Seriously, didn't they have anything else to say? He forgot how many times he had answered that question. 

The senior grabbed the chair that was standing right next to the door and carried it over to Eunhyuk's bed. He took in the sight of his dongsaeng; his left forearm and fingers were wrapped up in bandage and the big, squared shaped sticking plaster on his cheek made him look like a little kid.

“You want me to get something for you?” he asked and sat down and Eunhyuk shook his head.

Leeteuk was leaning forward, his elbows on his knees and his hands clasped. Eunhyuk was looking outside the window again which only made him curse in his head for being stuck to this goddamn bed. When he heard Leeteuk sighed he turned his head. 

“The police is involved now.”

Eunhyuk shrugged his shoulders. So? Not his problem. He was the victim in all this. But before he could turn his attention back to the window Leeteuk spoke up again.

“They found out about what you and the others have been doing”.

The younger one shocked when swallowing, his eyes widening in shock and his heart starting to race in a split second. He got pale. “Wh-what?!” he asked, terrified.

“You knew this would happen sooner or later.” Leeteuk said, and he sounded way too calm for Eunhyuk's liking. 

“I'm not telling them anything.” Eunhyuk said in one breath and shook his head fast. 

“You're telling them the truth.”

Eunhyuk chuckled out loud in complete sarcasm. Of course Leeteuk, a mature role model who didn't have any consequences to fear, would say something like that.

“No, I'm not.” Eunhyuk said and glared, but that didn't affect Leeteuk even the slightest. He just looked back at his dongsaeng with a superior look; eyes telling Eunhyuk he was immature because he really only had himself to blame. Eunhyuk would have been pissed off if it wasn't because he knew Leeteuk was right.

“Yes you are.” Leeteuk replied calmly.

“Hyung, are you crazy?! I can't go to jail!” 

“You're seventeen years old, Hyukjae. They won't send you to jail.”

“But–”

“And you are only considered as an a accomplice.” 

Too bad that wasn't much of a comfort. Eunhyuk ran his right hand through his hair and face, desperation and fear taking over his mind completely. Leeteuk got up from his seat to sit down on Eunhyuk's bed before placing a supporting hand on his shoulder. The gesture was nice, but didn't help at all. 

“You know that–”

“I'm not telling them anything because the others wont.” Eunhyuk almost hissed and harshly shook Leeteuk's hand off his shoulder. “They're going to lie, and so am I.” 

“That doesn't matter. You can't lie.”

“Of course it matters!” Eunhyuk yelled back. “The others–”

“Haven't you been following others for too long now, Hyukjae?”

As expected, that sentence made the young male go completely silent. Even trying to snap back at that would be stupid, it didn't take a genius to understand that. He bit the inside of his bottom lip, because he was ridiculously close to insult his hyung for saying the truth. How mature. 

“Besides,” Leeteuk continued. “You know Donghae wouldn't appreciate you lying.” 

The fear was quickly replaced by embarrassment. Eunhyuk didn't realize till now Leeteuk, like everybody else in school, knew about him and Donghae. Maybe they didn't know they were dating, the fact that they had actually had , but they did know something was there. It was weird, it was unfamiliar and it was scary. It was even embarrassing, because that would mean people would think Eunhyuk was gay. Lee Hyukjae, Eunhyuk, was gay. And it wasn't any guy he would be dating, it was Lee Donghae, the only poor guy in school, the guy that no one liked because Heechul had said so.

Eunhyuk hadn't thought about it till now and it sure wasn't a good feeling. But when looking at his hyung Eunhyuk saw that there was no need to be embarrassed. He could see it in his eyes, hear it in his voice.

“Isn't this enough?” Eunhyuk asked and gestured himself “I got beaten up for him.” 

Leeteuk shook his head. “What you did was admirable,” he started but Eunhyuk just waited for the 'but'. “But do you have any idea how much Donghae must have been suffering from all this? Not just because you took his place and got beaten up, but ever since the first day he sat his foot here in this school.” 

Eunhyuk hadn't been thinking about that. Mostly because he didn't dare to, because he was scared Donghae would wake up from a mental coma and realize Eunhyuk didn't deserve him – because he didn't – and leave. But also because the way Eunhyuk had acted made him feel disgusted over himself. Honestly, Eunhyuk had been thinking about Donghae as little as possible, because he still wasn't sure what he felt about all this. 

“Exactly.” Leeteuk said, when Eunhyuk didn't reply, as if he had read his mind. 


Eunhyuk had feared of not being noticed, feared of being a nobody. But what is being a nobody? Donghae was supposedly one, but the whole school knew who he was and he was probably the most patient and caring person Eunhyuk had ever met. Most of the students were stupid, so stupid they wouldn't even give Donghae a chance because of his social status. But there were people who gave Donghae a chance, Ryeowook, Siwon, Kibum, and those were the lucky ones because they had a friend like Donghae. 

Donghae wasn't a nobody, Donghae was greater than any one in their school.

 

~ * ~


“My baby!” the boy in the doorway squealed. He hadn't knocked and Eunhyuk had jumped in surprise at the door suddenly flying open. “You have no idea how worried I've been!” 

Eunhyuk raised his hands to stop the smaller male from attacking him with hugs and kisses but the other male either didn't notice or didn't care. Probably the latter. But as soon as Sungmin wrapped his arms around Eunhyuk's neck Eunhyuk winced, his eyes squeezing shut and he hissed in pain. Sungmin immediately backed off. 

“Your back?” he asked apologetic and Eunhyuk nodded; one hand caressing his shoulders and Sungmin calmed down and sat down on the bed. 

It was six days ago Sungmin found out Eunhyuk was out of danger and it wasn't till now that he was able to visit him. Those who weren't blood related to Eunhyuk weren't allowed to visit him until just yesterday. But Sungmin hadn't been able to come then because Leeteuk had said he needed to talk to Eunhyuk first. According to Leeteuk it would be best if Eunhyuk only had one visitor at a time or else it would be too much. 

“I missed you.” Sungmin said and Eunhyuk nodded and smiled, which was the closest to 'I missed you too' Sungmin would get. 

Last time Sungmin and Eunhyuk talked had been in their dorm, more than a month ago, when Sungmin had thrown private pictures at Eunhyuk before rushing out of their common room. Eunhyuk hadn't forgotten Sungmin shocked face, the way he had cried because of fear from the hyungs or what he had said. 

“I don't hate you.” Sungmin said in a low voice, as if he was reading Eunhyuk's mind. He probably wasn't though, because reading his face was enough. “And you don't disgust me. Never.”

“I know.” 

Sungmin leaned forward and hugged Eunhyuk a lot more carefully this time and Eunhyuk hugged him back with one arm, the other one still being too sore. “I'm just so happy you're alright.” Sungmin said and Eunhyuk knew Sungmin wanted to cry. But Sungmin didn't because he knew Eunhyuk would use that against him, calling Sungmin a crybaby, whenever he got the chance. Besides, Sungmin was tired of crying.

 

~ * ~ 


The first place Eunhyuk stopped by right after setting his foot outside the hospital wasn't the school, but the police station. Leeteuk had offered to go with him as a moral support but Eunhyuk felt old enough to handle his problems and face his mistakes on his own. 

Eunhyuk hadn't told anyone of his friends except from Leeteuk that he would go to the police. The principal knew and some teachers knew, but since this school was filled with teachers not knowing how to shut up and students not knowing it was rude to eavesdrop a lot of students knew too. 

Soon Eunhyuk found himself sitting in the court with Leeteuk, his noona and his parents being there to support him. Eunhyuk was surprised when seeing three of Heechul's “friends” there as well, all of them looking both ashamed and embarrassed. And he got even more surprised when all three told the judge, a skinny woman in short hair and with a look that could kill, that Eunhyuk hadn't done anything except from just from being a silent witness. It was true, but the fact that his hyungs would admit it still surprised him. 

Leeteuk had been right, of course they wouldn't send a 17 year old boy to jail. However, what Eunhyuk had done, even as just a “silent witness”, was still a crime and Eunhyuk got his punishment: community service. It was embarrassing for someone like Eunhyuk hearing that and it was a huge slap on his ego – seriously, Lee Hyukjae? Eunhyuk? Community service? – but he was clever enough to not even think about arguing against the judge's decision. 

 

~ * ~  


Eunhyuk temporarily had to quit the school dance and skip his dance practices after school because he had a new schedule now: school and then unpaid work. He spent his afternoons and evenings picking up he hadn't thrown and clearing streets of snow, streets he knew wouldn't pass. And just to make his life a little more miserable than it already was, he had to wear this ridiculous, over-sized orange uniform which made people be able to spot him even in a large crowd. 

He also spent his afternoons and evenings alone, because he didn't tell anyone where he was working. Both because he was embarrassed and because he didn't want to be distracted, to be able to finish this as soon as possible. He wouldn't meet anyone after he was done either, except from Sungmin since they shared room, because he would come back to the dorm exhausted and head straight to bed. 

So while standing there, picking up cigarette butts, candy wrappers and other disgusting things this Friday evening Eunhyuk sighed loudly to himself. However, he had already decided he would take his punishment like a man. There was a reason to why he was doing this in the first place after all.

 

~ * ~ * ~ * ~


School had ended. Jessica, Siwon, Ryeowook and Kibum had decided to give Donghae his Christmas present two days ago because they were all childishly impatient. They had been sitting in the school cafeteria when Kibum gave Donghae a white envelope; showing off his perfect, white teeth as he smiled and said it was from all four of them. Donghae had thanked them and was about to say that they didn't had to but never got to finish that sentence. 

Happiness, longing and love was inside that little piece of paper when Donghae opened the envelope and saw two train tickets; one from Seoul to Mokpo and another from Mokpo to Seoul. He didn't know how to thank his friends enough and even though hugs weren't enough for him to express himself, he still hugged each one of them. 

Siwon and Jessica left the same day school ended, like most students, after wishing their friends a merry Christmas. Ryeowook left the day after that and Kibum the day after that. 

So Donghae was alone now in his room, lying on his bed and facing the ceiling. A friend of Eunhyuk had told him where Eunhyuk was working right now and Donghae was mind battling with himself whether he should go and see him or not. He knew Eunhyuk wouldn't want him there, but at the same time Donghae hadn't seen Eunhyuk except from in their classes, which wasn't anything special. It wasn't like they were sitting next to each other, holding hands or hugging. Nothing had changed between them when being in the classroom, except from the fact that no one laughed at Donghae anymore or talked behind his back (which they used to do loud enough for Donghae to hear). 

Donghae and Eunhyuk's special time was not until after school, in the practice room where they had one hour for themselves. But now with this Donghae had been practicing alone after school, from 9p.m to 10p.m. 

Donghae missed him. 


Deciding that he could handle an angry Eunhyuk better than the feeling of wanting to see him, Donghae got up from his bed and got dressed. 

As soon as Donghae passed the school gate he bumped into Leeteuk and some other seniors. All of them smiled at him and wished him a merry Christmas and when Leeteuk asked where Donghae was going Donghae casually changed the subject and told that he would be able to leave to Mokpo soon. Leeteuk smiled and ruffled Donghae's hair before giving his dongsaeng a hug; telling him to have a great Christmas because he deserved it. Donghae promised he would. 

He stayed there for a moment, watching as the seniors left with suitcases in their hands. Donghae turned around and looked up. 

He stared at the big banner hanging over the gate entrance and read SM Boarding School. The banner itself still scared him, because it was so big it could be seen from a long distance. He inspected the school area carefully; the mighty buildings, the snow, the few students who were leaving. It was weird thinking about what he had been through in this place, when all he wanted in the first place was to just be a normal teenager getting a good education.  

Donghae chuckled to himself before he turned around and walked away. 

 

**


He hadn't been out for that long but when turning his head to his right and seeing his own reflection in a window he saw that his nose was already red. He smiled to himself when thinking that the only thing left was for him to grow antlers. Tiny snowflakes were falling down in his brown hair, his shoulders and face; decorating him completely like the rest of the city. 

Seoul was white today. 

His feet sank into the snow every time he would step somewhere and he hoped his shoes would be thick enough to keep his socks dry and warm. Small clouds were born out of his mouth and nose with every breath and he dug his nose deep into his thick scar and his hands in his pockets because he hadn't bought any gloves yet. The city was decorated and people were in the middle of Christmas shopping, running from one store to another; shopping bags in each hands. 

“This is so ing humiliating.” Eunhyuk hissed as he brutally stabbed the beautiful snow with the shovel in his hands. His gloves made the shaft slippery which only annoyed him even more. Yes, Eunhyuk had decided he would take his punishment like a man. That didn't change the fact that this was the most boring and humiliating thing he had ever done. He had every right to complain and hate his life. “ing unbelievable...” 

Donghae came back to reality and turned to look at the dancer with a questioning look; tilting his head to the side. Eunhyuk looked funny in his horrible, orange uniform. He had pulled his gray toque down so it was almost covering his eyes; a weak and pointless attempt to hide his identity. Donghae chuckled silently to himself; failing at keeping a straight face and Eunhyuk heard him and immediately turned around, almost dropping the shovel; turning his anger from his duty to the boy behind him. 

“What are you laughing at?” he asked and glared at the younger one. 

“Nothing.”

“Thought so.” Eunhyuk replied without looking at Donghae because he continued clearing the way and he cursed under his breath once again.

“You look cute in that uniform though.” Donghae said and Eunhyuk just snorted, obviously not taking that as a compliment. 

Donghae decided to stay quiet, he didn't come here to disturb Eunhyuk. He just wanted to see him and standing behind him in silence was far way better than being alone in the dorm and miss him. 

“I'm spending Christmas in Mokpo.” Donghae said. 

Yes, he really didn't want to disturb Eunhyuk and he really wanted to shut up. But for Donghae that was something that was easier said than done. 

“I thought you said you didn't have enough money to leave.” Eunhyuk replied and before Donghae had the time to answer Eunhyuk cursed out loud because he accidentally hit a big rock he couldn't see because of the snow; gaining the attention of an old couple who glared at him and said something about young people not knowing their manners.

“I don't. My friends gave me train tickets as a Christmas present.” Donghae said. Eunhyuk didn't reply to that which made Donghae frown because either he hadn't heard him because he was too concentrated in what he was doing or he simply wasn't listening because he didn't care. 

“When are you leaving?” Eunhyuk asked after a while. During this whole conversation he had been talking to Donghae with his back facing the younger, not giving him even a single glance (except from the glare after hearing Donghae chuckle, but that didn't count).

“Tomorrow.” 

Eunhyuk made a sound in the back of his throat to show that he was listening which made Donghae smile. At least he cared. 


Love didn't help Donghae when trying to figure out what was going on inside of Eunhyuk's mind. There were still so many things to learn and so many things to tell. Donghae didn't know the name of Eunhyuk's sister, who his first kindergarten crush was, what got him into dancing or what his other hobbies were. He didn't know Eunhyuk's favorite color or favorite song or favorite food. But Donghae knew how to communicate. He knew what to do to make Eunhyuk smile and he knew what to say for Eunhyuk to let his guard down. That, in Donghae's opinion, meant a lot more than knowing if Eunhyuk preferred blue over green or not. 

“I love you.” Donghae suddenly said, his voice low, because those words were only meant for Eunhyuk to hear. 

Eunhyuk froze in his position for a moment, he wasn't expecting to hear that now of all times. Without looking at Donghae, but still on the ground, he grinned – gums and all. He made sure to hide his smile before turning around; facing the younger one for the first time since Donghae got here. 

This whole thing was new and, to be honest, a little scary. It was scary how Donghae loved him despite what had happened, despite what they had been through. It was scary how Donghae was a guy, not a girl, and how people would look at them. And it was also scary how much Eunhyuk trusted Donghae; how he knew in his heart that Donghae meant what he was saying, ever word of it. 

But maybe it was okay like this. You can't change the past, but the future could be a different story. 

Eunhyuk looked around; making sure people were minding their own business. The traffic light turned green for the walkers; allowing them to pass the street, a young couple were holding on each hand of their young daughter, an old woman passed with her dog. Without giving Donghae time to ask what Eunhyuk was looking after, Eunhyuk leaned forward and kissed him. Their nose touched because neither of them were tilting their head; Donghae was too surprised and Eunhyuk's neck still hurt a little. The kiss was sweet and innocent, lips against lips and eyes closed, and Donghae completely forgot winter as a comfortable warmness was being spread in his body. 

Eunhyuk had told Donghae he was sorry before; sorry for what he had done, sorry for what he hadn't done, sorry for what he should have done... He felt like saying it again would only make the word lose it's meaning and have a relationship based on “I'm sorry”s was nothing Eunhyuk was interested in. He doubted Donghae wanted that either. 

The older of the two was the first one to pull away and Donghae blushed when realizing they were outside, in front of people, in daylight. He mumbled something under his breath about Eunhyuk not doing that in public and that only made Eunhyuk smile proudly at what he just had done and how shy and embarrassed he could manage Donghae to get. 

Eunhyuk looked so cute, so playful and Donghae had to fight the urge to hug him tightly, tightly, because there was still people around, Eunhyuk was working and also because Eunhyuk's body was still sore. So instead they just stood there looking at each other in silence.

Eunhyuk wasn't sure if he was in love with Donghae. It wasn't a feeling he recognized. He didn't regret stopping Heechul that cold day on the soccer field and he didn't regret letting the school know he did it for Donghae. Maybe it was love, maybe it wasn't. All Eunhyuk knew was that he cared about Donghae and he could actually see himself look past the fact that Donghae was a guy and poor. He could see himself being loyal to him and wait for him when Donghae would go back to Mokpo. 

Donghae had said he loved him but Eunhyuk wasn't going to say that he loved him too. The thought itself scared the out of him and even the slightest thought of saying it made his body freeze and his heart forget to beat. But he didn't see why he had to force it out of his mouth. Things had just gotten started and he still had time to get used to things, to learn.

Eunhyuk had indeed told Donghae he was sorry already, but there was one thing he hadn't said. He tilted his head a little, a shy smile on his lips. 

“Thank you.”