Chapter 5.1

SM Boarding School

Donghae almost got scolded when returning to his dorm. Siwon made himself very clear; the principal did not like it when students broke the rules. Donghae was twenty minutes late, which meant that he had broken the first rule: Do not be outside your dorm after 10p.m. But Donghae was an expert with cute smiles and eyes – so Siwon ended up with just saying a “Don’t be late again. You’re lucky no one saw you.”

 

~~~

 

Today it was Friday and Donghae woke up half an hour before everybody else, as always, to make his breakfast. He tried to wake Siwon up too, but Siwon was too tired to wake up and Donghae was too tired to try. Instead he decided to be a good friend and do breakfast both to him and to Siwon. He slipped his feet into his fish-slippers before silently open his door and walk over to the kitchen. When being almost there he suddenly heard a door open somewhere behind him. He froze and hoped that when he turned around he would see Siwon standing there. But it wasn’t Siwon he saw; he saw a person that didn’t belong there at all – a girl. The girl got out from Sungmin and Eunhyuk’s room and when she realized that she wasn’t alone in the corridor she looked at Donghae with the same surprised look that Donghae had. They stared at each other for a moment before she suddenly blushed and almost ran out of sight. Donghae got that disgusting feeling again just like yesterday. Maybe she was Sungmin’s girlfriend, he thought. But then he shook that thought out of his mind – because he really didn’t care.

 

“Does Sungmin have a girlfriend?” Donghae asked when he and Siwon were sitting at their little table in their room, eating their breakfast. Siwon shrugged his shoulders. “I saw a girl getting out from their dorm.” 

 

“Sungmin didn’t sleep in his room this night.”

 

Donghae widened his eyes and dropped the spoon he was holding. “What?” was the only thing he could think of saying. 

 

“They do that sometimes.” 

 

“Do what?” 

 

“You know what.”

 

“No I don’t.”

 

Even Siwon find it uncomfortable talking about it. He scratched his head and thought about which words to use. “It’s not our business anyway.” he decided to say instead. “So don’t in”. Siwon got back to his eating while Donghae just stared at his cereals. “What?” Siwon asked after a while, when seeing the bothersome look on Donghae’s face.

 

“Nothing.” Donghae responded before raising himself from his seat. “I just lost my appetite.” 

 

While Siwon was brushing his teeth and getting dressed Donghae took all their plates back to the kitchen. It was still very early and the students weren’t supposed to wake up yet. But there already were two students there, talking. When Donghae recognized the voice of one of them he stopped walking and stayed out of sight. Since Donghae didn’t hear sounds that told him that the guys were doing something he guessed that they probably were just sitting at a table, chatting. 

 

“Is it your turn to clean the kitchen?” he heard Eunhyuk say. The guy he was talking too must have shaken his head. It was probably Sungmin. “Watch the noticeboard.” Eunhyuk said.

 

“Why?” the unknown guy said, with a voice that did not belong to Sungmin. “You think it’s your turn?”

 

Eunhyuk didn’t have time to answer before the other guy spoke again.

 

“Room 208.” he said. “Whose room is it?”

 

Since Eunhyuk didn’t respond immediately Donghae guessed that he was thinking. “Isn’t it Choi Siwon’s room?” Eunhyuk said.

 

“And that new guy? The poor one?” the other one added. 

 

Donghae would have glared at him if he could see him. Must they be so freaking snobbish? 

 

Eunhyuk chuckled. “Yeah, I think it’s them.” There was a silence, but only just a few seconds. “Junsu yah.” Eunhyuk suddenly said and in Donghae’s opinion it sounded very suspicious. He could imagine that Eunhyuk was smirking. “Don’t you think it’s pretty clean here?”. The guy named Junsu laughed – completely understanding Eunhyuk’s point. Donghae understood it too and he got an impulsive feeling of wanting to scream at them in their face. But he still had his common sense left and the only thing he did was to sigh soundlessly and return to his dorm. 

 

“Didn’t you return the plates?” Siwon asked when Donghae returned.

 

“Prepare yourself.” Donghae answered with. “We’ll have a lot” he widened his eyes and emphasized the words ‘a lot’. “to clean.”  Siwon raised his eyebrows, not understanding what Donghae was talking about. But he just had to go to the kitchen to understand. The kitchen was a total mess, almost all plates that this kitchen had were dirty and food was on the floor and even on the walls. It was so chaotic that Eunhyuk and the guy named Junsu impossible could have done it by themselves. That was the first time Donghae saw Siwon furious. But Siwon controlled himself and just muttered swearwords and quietly insulted Eunhyuk, Sungmin, Junsu, a guy named Shindong and some other names Donghae couldn’t remember.

 

“Does it feel like home now, you poor imbecile?” they suddenly heard Sungmin say. When turning around they saw Eunhyuk, a chubby guy with funny hair also from their class – Donghae couldn’t remember his name though – and Sungmin standing in the door way. When Eunhyuk and the chubby guy laughed Siwon raised himself, totally pissed off. Donghae was quick to grab his shirt and pull him back. He glared at Siwon, with eyes that told him to not do anything stupid. Siwon gave the three boys a nasty look before getting back to help Donghae clean. 

 

And so the day started. It was a usual day, like always, except that Donghae experienced what Kibum meant when saying that Sungmin became ‘brain dead’ when Eunhyuk wasn’t around. During their singing class Donghae almost got a shock when Sungmin neither said nor did anything to him. He was just like a regular student. He was not nice to him and he was not mean to him, he just acted like he didn’t know him. 

 

9p.m was Donghae at the dance practice room – like always. He was pretty good with catching up with the school dance. Eunhyuk had given him a theoretical lesson for about six minutes before giving him three disks. Donghae didn’t even have time to say ‘thank you’ before Eunhyuk left, almost running away. When Eunhyuk was explaining everything he was talking extremely fast and low, probably because he didn’t want anyone to see him talking to Donghae of all people, and when Donghae tried to ask something he glared and threaten him with not helping him at all. In other words; Eunhyuk wasn’t really much of a help. But that didn’t matter since Donghae was really good. When he didn’t remember the steps or the choreography he just improvised. He didn't care; he just loved dancing and didn’t care if he was following Eunhyuk’s choreography or not. 

 

He was so deeply focused in what he was doing that he, for the second time since making the deal, forgot the time. “Why are you still here?” Eunhyuk asked in irritation when seeing him. 

 

“I’m sorry.” Donghae walked over to his own bag. “I was just leaving.”

 

Eunhyuk took his outer clothes off before opening the big bag he always had with him when practicing, and took out a blank tank top. “Leave the disk inside the CD-player.” he said.

 

Donghae didn’t have to turn around to look at Eunhyuk, since the mirror was there. He didn’t answer to what Eunhyuk said since he wasn’t listening. He was looking intensely at Eunhyuk through the mirror reflection, watching as Eunhyuk took his shirt off to replace it with the tank top. He was really skinny; Donghae could clearly see it now. But he still had some visible muscles which he probably got from dancing. He really was good looking, Donghae couldn’t deny that. Too bad he was such an though.

 

“Are you listening?” Eunhyuk asked, his voice being a mix between annoyance and irritation since he noticed that Donghae wasn’t listening, waking up Donghae from his thoughts. 

 

“Yes.” Donghae said since he didn’t want to make Eunhyuk even more irritated. He had no idea what he was saying ‘yes’ to. He kept looking at Eunhyuk, who crouched down again and started digging in his bag. “Can I ask you a question?” Donghae suddenly asked, still looking at Eunhyuk through the mirror. Eunhyuk didn’t respond and Donghae didn’t know if it was because no, he could not as a question or because Eunhyuk knew that Donghae would ask anyway. “Are you mean to me because you don’t like me or because your friends tells you so?”

 

Eunhyuk stopped with what he was doing and almost tensed his body. But he didn’t answer. Instead, he just continued packing up his things – this time a pair of shoes – and pretended that he wasn’t listening.

 

“I think you’re doing a lot against your will.” Donghae said and watched Eunhyuk all the time while speaking. He wanted to see his reaction. “You don’t seem like a bad person.” 

 

That was the last straw. Eunhyuk lost his patience and raised himself only to slam the door open for Donghae to leave.   “Then think again, dickhead.” he hissed. 

 

Donghae sighed before grabbing his own bag and leaving.  It was at least worth trying, he thought as Eunhyuk slammed the door behind him.

 

It was raining when Donghae got out of the building where the practice room was. The weather was totally unexpected he was only wearing jeans, a T-shirt and a summer jacket. He didn’t even have something to cover his head with. And he was carrying a heavy bag so he couldn’t even run fast back to his dorm. And to add yet another thing – his dorm was on the opposite side, so he had to cross the whole school area before being there. He sighed heavily, before making himself ready.

 

When finally arriving he walked up the stairs with heavy steps. The jacket he was wearing wasn’t really much of a help – even his shirt was wet. At least the school uniform would keep his T-shirt dry. His wet jeans were pasted to his legs; making it very uncomfortable. He walked like a penguin, waddling without bending his knees. He dragged himself to his door – imagining how wonderful it would be with a blanket right now. He knocked the door and called for his roommate but no one opened. Then he dug in his pants pockets but didn’t find what he was searching for; the keys. Instead he took his cell phone out and saw that someone had sent him a message.

 

I’m out with some friends, if you don’t find me in the dorm. 
Siwon.

 

Donghae put the cell phone back in his jeans pocket before checking if his keys were in the pockets of his jacket. No, they weren’t. He searched for them in his bag but still didn't find anything. No problems, he thought and grabbed his phone again. He called Siwon and refused to believe it when he heard Siwon’s phone calling from the other side of the door. Hadn’t he brought the phone with him?! He hung up the phone before digging in all his pockets again. Nothing. Then he realized that that he hadn’t brought the keys with him in the first place and they were probably laying on his bedside table right now. 

 

Today just wasn’t Donghae’s day. 

 

He moaned in frustration. Who knows for how long Siwon would be out? He kept knocking on the door and search in his pockets and bag again, even though he knew it was completely useless. Suddenly he heard steps walking towards him and he begged, hoping from the bottom of his heart, that it would be Siwon. But with the luck he had today it would surprise him if it actually was him. 

 

And of course, it wasn’t. The boy walking towards the corridor was not Siwon but Lee Hyukjae. Of course it would be him. The day couldn’t possibly get any worse. Donghae almost moaned out loud in complainant again, but managed to stop himself. Eunhyuk – with his brown wet hair pasted to his face – walked passed Donghae without giving him one singe look and stopped in front of a door looking exactly like the one Donghae was standing in front. The only difference was the number; the door in front of him had the number ‘205’ while Donghae’s had ‘208’. He watched as Eunhyuk, being just as wet as Donghae was, searched for his keys in his pockets and unlike Donghae he actually opened his door.

 

“Hyukjae shi.” Donghae called impulsively, before Eunhyuk entered his room. He realized that he was about to do something he probably would never forgive himself for. But what else could he do? He was desperate. Eunhyuk turned to face him, a surprised look on his face, but he didn’t say anything. “I forgot my keys.” he said awkwardly.

 

Eunhyuk stared at him for a moment, not understanding what that had to do with him. Then he entered his room, without saying a word and closed the door behind him.

 

Donghae wanted to punch him. How could anyone be so freaking heartless?! He sighed in frustration and was about to curse out loud when he heard the door open. He looked at where the sound was coming from and only got to see something white being thrown at him. The white thing, being very soft, hit his face and then he heard the door being closed again. He grabbed it to inspect it and to his surprise he saw that it was a folded towel and inside a white T-shirt. Donghae smiled. “Idiot...” he mumbled softly to himself.

 

When changing to the T-shirt he stayed there in the corridor, sitting beside his door. He felt like a homeless child right now. He chuckled a little at the thought while thinking about Sungmin and Eunhyuk. Then he sighed and tried to prepare himself for the long wait.

 

It was Friday night and the students, at least on this floor, where rarely there this at this point of time. And it was very quiet on this floor, so Donghae could easily guess that there were very few students that were inside their dorms now. At least he knew Eunhyuk was in his room. He looked at the door marked with the number ‘205’. He sighed and put the towel over him, as a blanket, since he was freezing thanks to the water. At least his upper body wasn’t wet anymore. But his jeans and legs still were which made it extremely uncomfortable to sit down. It was uncomfortable to stand up too, so it didn’t really matter. 

 

After sitting there for almost two hours he finally heard some steps walking towards him. Please, please, please, please, he thought as the steps became louder and louder. He turned his head and saw his hero. 

 

“Siwon aaaaah!” he yelled as he flew up from his seat and almost threw himself over the taller one. Siwon laughed a little, not really knowing what was going on, when Donghae suddenly hugged him hard. Then, Donghae pulled away and glared at him. “Where have you been?!” he asked, like a mother would ask her child.

 

“With some friends.” he said and raised his eyebrows even more, if that even was possible. “I texted you.

 

 

“Right.” Donghae said after giving himself some seconds to think. “You did.”

 

Siwon chuckled. “Why are you waiting here?”

 

“I forgot my keys. I’ve been waiting here for two hours.”

 

“Really? God, and I didn’t even bring my cell phone.” he said and Donghae saw that he got a bad conscience. “I’m sorry.”

 

Donghae shook his head. “Don’t be. It wasn’t your fault. I mean, I was the careless one. Just open the door, please.”

 

Donghae almost moaned when changing from his wet and cold jeans to his warm, grey sweatpants. But he didn’t since he probably would scare the heck out of Siwon if he did. Instead he threw himself on his bed, feeling like the most satisfied person earth. Then he looked at the T-shirt and towel that didn’t belong to him, before raising himself up again.

 

“Where are you going?” Siwon, who was sitting on his own bed with his laptop, asked when seeing that Donghae was making his way out of the room.

 

“I’ll just return this.” Donghae answered and grabbed the shirt and towel.

 

“Whose is it?”

 

Donghae laughed. “You wouldn’t believe me if I told you.

 

He carefully knocked the door and felt his heart beat a little faster. No wonder – he was voluntarily entering the enemies’ territory. He heard someone say something and guessed that it was a “Come in”, even thought it didn’t sound like it. He slowly opened the door, as if he was afraid a monster would attack him if he wasn’t being careful. 

 

The room, being impressively clean, was almost like his and Siwon’s; two beds on either side of the room, a desk with two chairs, a door to their bathroom and two wardrobes – all this looking exactly like it did in Donghae’s room. But what this room also had was a big television, a CD-player, two laptops and even a little couch, in front of their television. It didn’t look like a student’s room in a school – but just a teenage room belonging to two snobbish brats. One funny thing with this room, Donghae thought, was that one side was completely pink while the other side had rather dark colors. 

 

“I need you to help me with something.” Eunhyuk said.

 

He was sitting at the desk, his back facing Donghae, and he was... studying? Donghae cleared his throat to get Eunhyuk’s attention, since he knew that what Eunhyuk just had said wasn’t meant to him. Eunhyuk turned around and when he did Donghae got ever more surprised. Eunhyuk was wearing glasses and immediately took them off when realizing that Donghae wasn’t Sungmin. He glared.

 

“I just wanted to return this.” Donghae said and held up the shirt and towel so Eunhyuk could see it.

 

“There.” Eunhyuk simply answered and pointed at the bed with a dark brown coverlet. He turned around again and sat back down on his chair. Donghae did as he was told and was about to leave when he glanced over at the abandoned glasses on the desk.

 

“I didn’t know you wore glasses.” he said, surprised. He knew he probably shouldn’t mention it but he couldn’t resist.

 

“Only when I’m reading.” Eunhyuk was quick to answer, without turning around.

 

“You look good in them”. Donghae didn’t know why he said that but he knew that he always had been an honest person – he couldn’t help it. He never got to know what Eunhyuk would have responded since the door suddenly went open.

 

“Hyukie, I–”Sungmin started but went silent when seeing Donghae there. He looked at him in surprise before turning to look at him nastily. Then he just ignored him – as always.

 

“I guess I’ll just leave.” Donghae said and got no respond from neither of them. “Thanks anyway.” 

 

Before closing the door behind him he heard Sungmin say: “Ew, what was he doing here? Don’t let him in!” and Eunhyuk responding: “I wont.

 


 

AN: Teaser comes out tomorrow. I am sooo excited! (:

 

Posted on: 31st July, 2011. Saturday.