Epilogue

SM Boarding School

It had felt weird waking up in his own bed, without Siwon being there, and eat breakfast in his kitchen with his mother and brother and not ten other students. At school Donghae always had this mixed feeling that didn't make any sense; feeling both comfortable and happy because he was living with his closest friends, but also feeling uncomfortable and misplaced. Kinda like a mismatched piece of puzzle that simply didn't fit the pattern. 

When he was in Mokpo, with his family and without his uniform, he had just felt... relaxed. He had felt relaxed and it was just so unfamiliar. But of course, Donghae didn't complain. The time he spent in Mokpo; the movies he watched with his brother and the food he cooked with his mom, was more than he could have asked for. 

Donghae didn't just visit his mother and hyung, but also a few old friends. He would usually leave after lunch and always return before dinner because sure, he had missed his old classmates but not even half as much as his family.

Donghae also visited his dad. 

He had been standing there with flowers in his hand, in front of that big stone with tears in his eyes but also a smile on his lips; a smile because he knew in his heart that his dad would be so proud of him. He would be proud of Donghae getting this far by himself, proud of how much Donghae had grown this year, over how strong he was, how determined he was to follow his dreams. 

He had crouched down, whispering “I did it dad”, before kissing two of his fingers and pressing them to the cold stone.


Saying goodbye to his family was one of the hardest things Donghae had ever done. His mother was crying which only made Donghae cry too. But Donghae thought it was alright, because he knew he would never have to lie to them again if and when they asked how he was doing in school and if he liked it there. 


The sun was halfway down when Donghae walked under the huge banner; watching the schoolyard filling up with people; students hugging each other after not seeing each other for a while, laughing, joking and talking. He didn't see any familiar faces so just kept walking without stopping. 

Annyeonghaseyo.” two girls said and smiled when Donghae walked past. It took a few seconds for Donghae, who had been taken by surprise, to bow his head and reply their greeting. 

The snow was slowly disappearing, leaving dark, slushy water behind and Donghae had to lift his feet high to not get his socks wet. Suddenly the green bag hanging on Donghae's right shoulder began to slide down, making Donghae lose his balance. To not fall he let the bag drop, letting the other bag he was holding slip out of his other hand while he was at it. 

Do you need help?” a familiar voice asked and when Donghae looked up his eyes met a student much taller than himself with short black hair and a friendly smile. Donghae smiled too, as flashbacks from what felt like ages ago crossed his mind; a hot summer day in the beginning of June, a huge school and a scary banner. 

Thanks.” Donghae said and gave Siwon one of his bags. 

So, you're the new guy?” Siwon joked as he took it and Donghae just laughed. 

Shut up.” 


**


Their room looked exactly how Donghae had left it, not that Donghae expected anything else. It never once crossed Donghae's mind that he would ever feel welcomed in this room. After all, it would always be just one of many rooms in the boys' dorm. But as he walked up the stairs, Donghae got this tiny feeling that maybe, just maybe, he actually missed this place. The familiar scent of their room, the soft bed, the colors; he was so used to it that he'd found himself missing it when he was in Mokpo. 

Siwon helped Donghae unpack everything in his (now wet) bags; mostly clothes and books. They exchanged stories about their vacation and, by the time they were done, they were already back to their everyday life. Donghae was stretched out lazily on his bed as Siwon, true to form, pushed his glasses up the bridge of his nose, devouring the book in his hand. 

You really don't waste any time, do you?” Donghae sighed, admiring Siwon's ability to study with so much enthusiasm even before school had started. 

Siwon just chuckled without looking up from his book. When he did, a couple of seconds later, he saw Donghae lying on his back, his arms behind his head, eyes fixed on the white ceiling. He could tell what Donghae was thinking about, knowing too that Donghae would need a little push to gain courage. 

The practice room is still open.” he said randomly, eyes back to his book before Donghae turned his head to look at him. Siwon simply nodded in the door's direction, and they both knew what Siwon meant. “What are you waiting for?”


**

Last time he had seen Eunhyuk was a little more than three weeks ago. Since Donghae had left they hadn't said a word to each other, not online or over the phone. Donghae hadn't dared to call and of course Hyukjae wouldn't take the initiative in taking the first step. On Christmas eve Donghae had gathered enough courage to send him a text message, “Merry Christmas” and minutes later he received a reply “You too. Merry Christmas. And that was all. 

Of course Donghae had missed him; there was no denying in that. Donghae, however, wasn't sure if Eunhyuk had missed him as well. It made him sad that the thought of Eunhyuk not missing him at all didn't surprise him. But Eunhyuk loved him, right? He had said it himself. He knew they wouldn't turn into Romeo and Juliet from one day to another (it's Lee Hyukjae we're talking about), but that didn't prevent Donghae from dreaming. Cheesy dreams with Eunhyuk repeating how much he loved him over and over again was what made Donghae sleep like a baby at night. 



Compared to earlier in the day, there was hardly anyone outside when Donghae walked towards the practice room. The cold was making his nose unattractively red and he dug his hands deep in the pockets of his jacket to not freeze. Luckily for him the walk wasn't long. He opened the front door of the tall building and got goosebumps when he was welcomed by a dark and cold corridor. 

He hurried to the practice room (no, he wasn't scared. Really.) he had been in so many times before. Finding the practice room was an easy task, because Donghae could find it even if he walked inside the building blindfolded. 

The only sound killing the uncomfortable silence was the pop music coming from said room, the only room where light was peaking from the crack of the door. The music got louder and louder for every step that Donghae took, just like his heart started to beat faster and faster. Standing in front of the door, he slowly opened it; having to peer for a second to let his eyes adjust to the sudden light.

The music wasn't ridiculously loud, but still loud enough for Eunhyuk to not hear Donghae entering the room. He didn't seem to notice him either despite the huge mirror, but that didn't surprise Donghae. Deciding to not interrupt him just yet, Donghae took off his thick scarf and jacket and, leaving them on the floor before quietly sitting down a few feet away, back against the wall and legs bent on the knees. 

The dancer was wearing a black tank and gray sweatpants that didn't cover the small of the leg. Donghae knew he had missed him, of course he had, but seeing him in person stirred up other feelings in his body, as if it had been ages since he'd last saw him. He didn't want to hug or kiss the dancer. No, he just wanted sit down for a moment and just watch him; watch how he moved, how he was just... being himself. 

Donghae had tried to erase the horrible images from his head, the images of Eunhyuk lying helplessly, bleeding and balancing over the thin line between life and death. He tried not to think of how Eunhyuk's body had felt so lifeless and how Donghae had been this close to losing him. But Eunhyuk had recovered almost completely now, merely having a few, almost invisible, scars on his arms and face. But his legs, hips and arms moved like they had never been touched, never harmed.

When Eunhyuk lost concentration and rhythm Donghae knew he had seen him. He smiled at him and received a tiny smile in response, one Eunhyuk was trying to suppress before the other walked over to turn the music off. 

How was your Christmas?” Donghae asked as Eunhyuk walked over to his own bag, beside the stereo, and took out a bottle of water. The dancer's reply was just a quick shrug of his shoulders. He was standing on the opposite wall, close to the mirror and looking at Donghae through the mirror's reflection. 

Mine was amazing.” Donghae said, a peaceful and content expression on his face just from thinking back at it. “My mom was really sad at the train station when I was boarding it to come back here.” 

Eunhyuk still didn't say anything, but kept his eyes on Donghae to show that he was listening. 

We're doing a lot better now, because hyung finally got promoted. So the atmosphere and all at home was amazing.” Donghae sighed heavily and Eunhyuk could see he was sad over the fact that he was back in Seoul. “Her food was awesome. I had almost forgotten how real food, cooked by a mom, tasted like.” Donghae continued and laughed a little to himself. 

Eunhyuk thought it was amusing how Donghae could have a complete conversation with himself without even noticing it, because Eunhyuk still hadn't said anything. He grinned a little but was quick to hide it, deciding to play a little and see how long it would take 'til Donghae would notice this was a one-sided conversation. So instead of looking at Donghae, he looked at the mirror; taking a few steps forward before starting to fix his hair with one hand. 

I think I gained some weight now.” Donghae said and looked down at his stomach. Eunhyuk chuckled soundlessly. “I mean, I didn't practice or anything while I was there. And I ate so much.” 

The pout on the younger one's lips as he was looking down at his tummy was adorable and Eunhyuk had to focus to not grin like an idiot. It was hard, but he succeeded. 

And one day this really weird thing happened.” Donghae suddenly said, eyes back to Eunhyuk and the dancer asked himself if he would lose his patience and talk before Donghae would notice he hadn't said anything. “I met an old friend and he was gonna sleep at my place and then during the night he wanted us to get some snacks and–”

Finally

You're not listening, are you?” 

Eunhyuk dropped the hand he was using to fix his hair and looked at his classmate without turning around. He chuckled without Donghae hearing him. That took him a while. 

No.” he said simply. 

His voice made Donghae's heart jump in happiness and caused the butterflies in his stomach to flutter their wings even faster. Too bad the first thing he would say after three weeks wasn't “hello” or “I've missed you” or “How have you been?”, but a cold and short “no”. 

The younger of the two pouted, a frown visible on his forehead when he crossed his arms in disapproval and glared at the other. But then he couldn't do anything other than sigh loudly. For a moment he seemed to have forgotten who this person actually was. This was Eunhyuk

It's not my fault.” Eunhyuk said. “You talk too much. And most of the time it's not even important.” 

Donghae felt himself drop his jaw. What a welcome. 

Sometimes I wonder if you really do love me.” he sighed as dramatically as he possible could; hoping that at least that sentence (and sigh) would make the dancer a little softer. 

Yeah,” Eunhyuk said casually. “I have a hard time believing it myself.” 

Yep, this was indeed Eunhyuk. Welcome back, Donghae.

So mean...” he muttered under his breath and the way his lips tensed and how he turned his head to not look at the other made Eunhyuk all happy and stupid. 

Eunhyuk drank the last what was left of the water in his bottle in one go before walking over to the right side of the room where he had left his bag. He bent down and opened it to leave the empty bottle there. When he looked up he saw that Donghae had stopped sulking and was just silently watching him, as if waiting for Eunhyuk to do something. Probably just approach.

And Eunhyuk did, after searching and finding something in his bag. He walked over to Donghae – Donghae's eyes following his every move – before crouching down in front of him. He gave what he had in his right hand to him, a small box, and the needed blood for mental work took its time to reach Donghae's head. Donghae widened his eyes; eyebrows shooting up in surprise. 

What's that?” he asked, after a few seconds in silence, eyes on the little black box in Eunhyuk's hand. 

Eunhyuk rolled his eyes. He and stupid questions never got along well. 

It's a Tyrannosaurus Rex.” he answered and considered not giving Donghae the gift at all. “I found him on the street and thought he might want a place to stay over the night.” 

Donghae, already knowing that patience and muting certain things were the best ways to handle the dancer, took the little box from Eunhyuk's hand. He observed it closely and glanced up at Eunhyuk before opening it. 

A simple silver ring was inside the box and Donghae could swear he would die of happiness and surprise. Those dreams where Eunhyuk drowned him in lovely dovey words were suddenly so tiny, so insignificant. 

When his eyes went from the ring to look at the dancer, they stopped at the dancer's hand and he realized Eunhyuk was wearing a similar ring. 

You have it too.” Donghae said, being more convinced in each second that passed that, yes, he would not survive this day. 

I didn't notice. Thanks for the remark.” Eunhyuk responded, because saying “you're welcome” was from another universe. He sat down beside Donghae, his back also against the wall. 

Donghae tilted his head and smiled, eyes and lips not expressing anything but pure happiness, reflecting how much this little gesture actually meant for him. It made the dancer uncomfortably shy (of course it wasn't something he would ever admit, not even if his life depended on it). The young boy raised his arms to hug Eunhyuk and was about to move his head to the dancer's shoulder when Eunhyuk stopped him by kissing him. 

Eunhyuk pulled Donghae's arms a little, telling him to move closer and Donghae did; moving to sit on Eunhyuk's lap, his knees on either side of Eunhyuk's thighs. He felt Eunhyuk's hands move to touch his face, his fingertips moving to caress Donghae's soft cheeks. When he did, Eunhyuk kissed him even more, even deeper, pulling Donghae's face even closer to his own. Maybe, Donghae thought, just maybe, Eunhyuk had missed him just as much as Donghae had missed him. 

Donghae pushed back against Eunhyuk's lips; Eunhyuk's head touching the wall, and the kiss that at first was slow and innocent turned into something more needy, longing, as if their bodies were promising each other to never be away from the other for so long. 

Donghae was the first one to pull away, partly because his lungs were demanding to get some oxygen but also because he hadn't forgotten about what was still in his hand. His attention went from Eunhyuk to the little box. He took out the ring and reached for his jacket to place the empty little box in his pocket. The ring slipped on his finger easily and Donghae observed it for a moment; loving the meaning this little piece of jewelery had, before leaning forward to kiss the boy in front of him again. 

When someone knocked the door Donghae froze; breaking the kiss as his head immediately turned towards the direction of the door. He was about to move away but Eunhyuk grabbed his waist to stop him from getting up. 

What?” Eunhyuk asked, his eyes also turning to look at the door. 

I really hope you're dressed.” another voice both males had no problems in recognizing said; causing Eunhyuk to chuckle and Donghae to blush. He made another attempt to get up but Eunhyuk's hands wouldn't let him. 

Give us a second.” Eunhyuk replied and Donghae widened his eyes before punching Eunhyuk's shoulder. 

A loud “Ew!” was heard from the other side of the door. 

I'm kidding, you idiot.” Eunhyuk chuckled and the door opened, revealing a cute boy in the same age, with the eyes of an angel and short light brown hair. But Donghae knew this guy was anything but cute and angelic. 

Sungmin stared at the two males for a second, eying them awkwardly before sighing to himself and shaking his head. He pointed behind him with his thumb. “We're leaving to get something to eat.” he said, for a second looking at Donghae before looking back at his friend again. “Are you coming?” 

The fact that he said “we” made it obvious he wasn't alone, and Donghae felt even more uncomfortable and awkward when knowing that Shindong and probably Junsu too were standing behind babyface. He felt Eunhyuk let go of his waist to let him get up, before standing up himself. 

Sure.” Eunhyuk said and walked over to get his bag. 

Donghae couldn't help but feel sad over the fact that a beautiful moment just went straight to hell. And Eunhyuk leaving him for his friends didn't make him much happier. He hadn't hoped for a romantic night with roses and candlelight, but just to spend some time with Eunhyuk now that he finally got to see him. He sighed in his mind as he grabbed his jacket, utterly surprised when Eunhyuk grabbed his hand and started walking towards his friend without showing any signs of letting go of his hand. 

Are you coming too?” Sungmin asked, surprised, before seeing the confused look on Donghae's face and turning to ask Eunhyuk instead. “Is he coming too?” 

Yes.” was the simple answer as Hyukjae walked past his three friends with Donghae's hand in his own. 

Donghae was walking without protesting, his mind was still in the process of registering what the heck was happening. He looked down at their hands; their fingers weaved together and a silver ring decorating their ring finger. In his own little way Eunhyuk was whispering lovely dovey words to him and Donghae decided that he didn't need to dream about a unrealistic Hyukjae, because he loved him like this, the real Hyukjae. 

The three friends behind the couple hadn't moved an inch or even said anything. Shindong and Junsu turned to look at Sungmin, as if they were waiting for him to decide whether this was okay or unacceptable. Sungmin just shrugged his shoulders. 

As long as they keep their clothes on and hands in place we're cool.” Sungmin said started to walk too. Both males behind him chuckled, agreeing that it was a good deal, and followed him.

 


 

AN: I am not going to lie okay, I just re-read the whole fic and wow I love love love the epilogue :c I love the way this fic ends with a sweet eunhae moment that leaves the readers all happy and adskfjadsf I love it to bits honestly! and I hope you guys do too! :D

I just wanted to say a big thank you to each and every single one you guys out there who have read, commented and supported this fic! I am however afraid to say that there will be no sequel to this considering the nice way this has ended already. We woudn't want to ruin that would we? A lot of people have been asking so I decided to officially announce it once and for all! This will be the last time this fic will be "updated" ever I am afraid.

Once again, a huge thank you for all the encouragment! Keep loving eunhae, yes? haha ^^