Chapter 03

SM Boarding School

Donghae saw red. And his thighs still hurt.

 

How could anyone be such a... such a ing...? He couldn’t even find the right words for such a person.

 

Angelic”, my , he thought as he walked as fast as he could; searching for his target. He didn’t even know where that bastard was, but that didn’t stop him. He decided to go and see if he was still in the cafeteria and when arriving he saw his friends, not the star himself.

 


When he finally finding him, behind the boy’s dorms, he stopped dead short. He did not expect to find him like this – Eunhyuk pressing a thin bimbo against the wall and his tongue literally in . Donghae widened his eyes. What. The. !?

 

He just stood there, watching them stupidly, feeling his anger grow more intense. He fist his hand; his knuckles becoming white. His anger changed, this was hate. He got an impulsive feeling of wanting to beat the crap out of that . Seeing Eunhyuk gently placing his hands on her hips was all it took for Donghae to take one step forward. But he didn’t get any further since someone grabbed his T-shirt and pulled him back, Donghae almost falling backwards.

 

“Wh-what...?” he started but got interrupted.

 

“Are you out of your mind?” 

 

He didn’t have to turn around to know how it was; the voice had been familiar since years ago. “Let go! I’ll fall.”

 

Kibum stopped and spun Donghae around, placing his hands on Donghae’s shoulders, grabbing him hard and looking at him with warningly eyes. “Are you out of you mind, hyung?” he asked again, this time louder.

 

“I didn’t do anything.”

 

“I thought your friend told you to stay away from him!” Kibum screamed. 

 

“I didn’t do anything! Why are you acting like this?” Donghae screamed back.

 

They glared at each other, till Kibum’s eyes softened. He removed his hands, only to start massaging his own temples with his fingers. “I’m sorry.” he sighed. “I just...”

 

“I don’t need a babysitter, you know.”

 

“I know.”

 

Kibum sighed again, sincerely looking apologetic. “I’m sorry.” he said again. 

 

“It’s alright.” Donghae said, even though he still sounded irritated. “I’m sorry too.” 

 

“I didn’t mean to sound like that. But I get angry when you won’t listen to the people that care about you. You never do.”  It didn’t really sound like an insult, more like a compliment, and Donghae chuckled. Under normal circumstances he would just laugh it away, but he was still angry. He sighed and said a low “Let’s go” and Kibum knew that he still was annoyed.

 

The scene he had seen still bothered him, even after some minutes passed, and whenever he thought about it he got angry. I bet she’s a total , he thought. A ing cheap one

 

“What are you thinking about?” Kibum said, clearly noticing that Donghae’s anger in his eyes still was there. He was worried that Donghae was still mad at him. 

 

“I thought you said they were a couple.” 

 

“What? Who?” 

 

"Hyukjae and Sungmin.” 

 

“No, I said ‘’.”

 

“What, so they just sleep with each other?”

 

Kibum laughed a little. “I didn’t mean it literally. Eunhyuk doesn’t like guys.”

 

“Yeah, I kind of saw that. He likes cheap and stupid es, like all wannabe gangsters do.” 

 

Kibum raised his eyebrows. “Are you jealous?” he asked.

 

Donghae chuckled in pure sarcasm. “Oh, yes, sure. Of course.” he said, overdosing drama in his voice. He turned to glare at the younger. “Don’t make me vomit.”

 

“Then why are you so upset about it?” 

 

“Because she’s a .” 

 

“How do you know, you know her?”

 

“That’s not the point.”

 

“How can you say she’s a when you don’t even know her? What if she’s the kindest person on earth?”

 

“If she is, then she’s also the stupidest person on earth."

 

What do you mean?"

 

You must be pretty ed up to date a guy like that.” 

 

“You’re not making any sense. Are you mad at her?”

 

“Yes, I’m mad at her because she’s a stupid , or else she wouldn’t date him.”

 

“I don’t understand it either, but I’m still not mad at her because it’s not my business.”

 

Donghae didn’t respond that. Instead, he just started to walk faster, but Kibum still kept the pace.

 

I don't think they're dating." Kibum said, carefully.

 

I don't care." 

 

Why would he be jealous of her? He wasn’t jealous. He didn’t even like that guy – he was a punk and Donghae knew it from the start. And he wasn’t even Donghae’s type. He just thought that she was stupid – that’s all.

 

“Would you’ve been happier if he was dating Sungmin?”

 

“Yes, because they’re share their stupidity.”

 

“Not because he’s a guy then?”

 

Donghae stopped walking and turned to face Kibum with a glare. “Stop saying such ridiculous things. And I don’t want to talk about this anymore. If you want to keep nagging then leave, because I’m not in the mood. Kibum nodded, a mix between sadness and surprise in his eyes. It hurt seeing him like that and it hurt talking to him like that, but Donghae was too angry to apologize. He would do it later. He kept walking, not caring if Kibum followed him or not.

 

Kibum kept silent when they walked back to their dorms. They stopped when seeing an empty room – a room looking like a living room at a rich family’s house. There were three large sofas there, dressed in silk, carpets, a table with chairs, a fireplace, paintings hanging on the wall – everything. Donghae had to remind himself once again that this was still aschool, because once again he almost forgot. They sat down in the couch – opposite each other and remained silent. Donghae was too upset to talk and Kibum, knowing him well, knew it and just sat quietly, till Donghae would decide that he wanted to break the silence.

 

While stitting there, Donghae glaring at something unknown and Kibum playing with his own fingers, they heard and saw a worried Siwon rush towards them.

 

“I looked for you everywhere!” he said to Donghae, using his hands to speak just as much as his mouth did.

 

“Don’t worry. Kibum saved me.” Donghae said and tried to sound nice, even though the word 'saved' sounded rather insulting.

 

Siwon sighed as he let himself fall down on the couch beside Donghae, tired as if he had been running a marathon. He was about to say something but didn’t when even he saw Donghae’s anger. “Are you angry?” he asked and Donghae shook his head without looking at him. There was an awkward silence and Siwon looked at Kibum for answers but Kibum just shrug his shoulders.

 

“I’m a little angry” Donghae suddenly said, to not cause any misunderstandings “but I don’t want to talk about it.”

 

“Then let’s talk about something else, so you get something else on your mind.” Siwon said and turned to face Donghae. “What class will you be taking?” 

 

“Dance and singing.” 

 

He raised his thick eyebrows, just like Kibum did. “Both?” they asked in unison.

 

Donghae nodded, not looking as angry as before. “My family lives in Mokpo so I won’t go home during weekends. Maybe not even during holidays, so I’ll have plenty of time. I’ll be in the school dance too. I already talked to the principal, over the phone before arriving here, and to the man who gave me my scholarship. I’ll start next week.”

 

“Don’t push yourself too hard. You’ll have to work hard” Kibum said “and you’ll only be here for two years.” 

 

“I will work hard.” Donghae said and smiled a little. “Don’t worry”. Kibum and Siwon smiled too, when seeing Donghae’s anger disappearing little by little. “Besides” Donghae said, this time grinning and sounding as cocky as possible. “I heard my singing and dancing skills are pretty good”. Both boys laughed, both because of Donghae and of relief. Being angry didn’t suit him at all.

 

“Which class do you take?” Siwon asked Kibum.

 

“Acting classes.” He answered. “And you?”

 

“Singing.” 

 

“Then you’ll have to help me.” Donghae said. 

 

“Since you’ll have to practice a lot, with the school dance and all, why don’t you go and see if you can use the practice room after school? You can practice by yourself and in that way catch up with the others.”

 

“Yeah, that’s right! Why don’t you ask the reception lady?” Siwon added. 

 

“Are you kidding me? She scares the out of me.”

 

Kibum and Siwon laughed, knowing exactly what Donghae was talking about. “You’ll learn to live with it.” Kibum said. “We’ll go with you, so she doesn’t eat you or anything.”

 

Donghae talked to the scary lady, stammering and stuttering, and worked it out. She told him about the practice room, where he should go to find it and that she could give him permission to practice, from 9PM to 10PM. She also told him about the rules, mostly that he wasn’t allowed to let anyone in when practicing and that he must report the days he wouldn’t practice. Then she signed a paper which she gave to him – a proof of permission, since the students weren’t allowed to be outside their room after 10p.m, also Sunday to Thursday.

 

The school dance only practiced once a week – Tuesdays – which meant that Donghae had already missed this week’s practice. He hadn’t even talked to the one in charge so he could start his practice. But that didn’t stop him from going to the practice room today. A lot of things had happened today – even though he had only been here for one day. Dance always helped him to relax.

 

He walked over to the CD player to turn whatever he could find on, but he didn’t manage to turn anything on when suddenly the door opened. He didn’t have to turn around to see how it was; he just needed to look at the mirror in front of him. But when seeing who was standing in the doorway, he had to turn around because he didn’t believe his eyes. He was about to say something when the other person, being just as surprised as Donghae was, spoke first.

 

“What are you doing here?” Eunhyuk asked. He was too surprised to even sound rude and Donghae reminded himself that he hadn’t heard Eunhyuk speak till now. He had imagined that Eunhyuk’s voice would be very deep, since… well, scary people always have a deep voice (in Donghae’s opinion) but it wasn’t. Donghae’s voice was probably deeper.

 

“Practicing.” Donghae answered. 

 

“Why?” 

 

“I’m in the school dance.”

 

Eunhyuk stared at him with a surprised look on his face. But when understanding exactly what was going on, he glared. Donghae kind of felt a little more comfortable when seeing Eunhyuk glare at him – having Eunhyuk talk to him like… a normal person would… was weird and kind of scary.

 

“Why?” Eunhyuk said again, but this time it sounded more like a threat then a question. 

 

“You’re in the school dance too?” 

 

Donghae knew he didn’t have to ask; Eunhyuk’s reaction made it obvious. “I’m ing in charge of it.” 

 

Now that wasn’t obvious. Did that mean Eunhyuk would be responsible for teaching Donghae everything? Donghae lost his breath. This guy was everywhere. Seriously. Maybe being in the school dance wasn’t such a great idea.

 

But then he got a second thought – this wasn’t about Eunhyuk. This was about Donghae doing what he wanted and Donghae working hard. So what? Who cares about Eunhyuk?

 

“Well, I got permission from the reception lady.” He said and tried to sound as unpleasant as possible (and as unpleasant as he dared.) 

 

“I don’t ing care. Get out.”

 

“No. I’ve already talked to her and she gave me permission. I don’t mind you, but if it bothers you then please leave.” Eunhyuk’s glare got even more intense. He looked at in him pure disgust and mumbled a low “ing idiot” before leaving – slamming the door behind him with all his might. Unbelievable. That guy, really, was everywhere.

 

“How come you didn’t tell me Hyukjae’s in charge of the school dance?” 

 

Siwon got out of their toilet and took the toothbrush out of his mouth to speak. “I didn’t know. He hasn’t been participating for a while, so I thought he quitted.” 

 

“Oh God, he’s everywhere. And he uses the practice room after school.” Donghae moaned in compliment and threw himself on his bed. “I’ll have to practice with him!” he squealed in pain. 

 

Siwon should be worried, that was what Donghae expected, but instead he laughed. “True. It even becomes funny. New students don’t suffer from Heechul hyung’s gang until they at least have been here for a week. You really are unlucky.”

 

That didn’t help to cheer Donghae up. He sighed.

 

“Take one day at a time. It’s just once a week anyway, right?” Siwon said, after leaving his toothbrush in the toilet, and walked over to turn the ceiling lamp off, so the two small lamps standing on bedside tables were the only source of light. “And you promised to work hard. We, your friends, support you.” he walked over to his own bed. “But now, try to get some sleep. You had a pretty long day, even though you just arrived.”

 

“It was a freaking 'try to survive'-day.” Donghae complained. 

 

Siwon laughed. He lay down in his bed and pulled his coverlet over him. “Just try to get some sleep.” he said again and Donghae followed Siwon’s example – nestling down in his own bed. 

 

“I will. Thanks.” He smiled. “Good night.”

 

“Good night.”

 

They turned the lamps off, leaving the room completely dark.   



~~~

 

One hour passed. Two hours passed. Three hours passed. This bed was so much more comfortable then the empty bed back in Mokpo. This bed wasn’t as hard as the one Donghae had in his real room and Donghae often woke up with pain in his back and neck. But Donghae didn’t care. A hard bed, ugly house, cheap furniture – he didn’t care.  He missed it. He missed it so much that it hurt and being left alone with only himself and his memories only made things worse.

 

He glanced over at Siwon, but it was too dark for Donghae to see him. It didn’t matter; he knew Siwon already was fast asleep. Donghae couldn’t sleep like that. At least not this night. He sat up, thinking about his mum and his hyung. He missed them; his mother’s cheering smile and the hugs this hyung always gave him whenever Donghae was feeling down. He really needed one now. He remembered small things, like when his hyung gave him his pocket money so Donghae could go and buy whatever he wanted. Or when Donghae broke something and his brother would take the blame. Suddenly these tiny things became so precious.

 

He felt the tears being at the top of the edge and he tried hard to hold them in. It was absurd, he thought, since he just arrived. But the thought of him being so far away from home for two whole years was still in the back of his mind. He didn’t want to complain because he couldn’t complain. His mother and hyung had sent him here to give him a better future. Complaining would be the same thing as not being grateful. He was going to stay strong for his mother and hyung and… for his dad. Dad... 

 

The tears became impossible to stop. He cried silently, burying his face in his pillow. He missed them so much. He missed him so much. Then, he told himself once again to stay strong and dried his tears with the back of his hand and lay down. He shouldn't cry. Instead, he would call them tomorrow – it was too late doing it now. He would call them and tell them how much he missed them and how much he loved them. Thinking that cheered him up a little. He closed his eyes and tried to relax when he suddenly heard giggles coming from the corridor. Wasn't the clock like, 3a.m or something? Are people still being up? It’s not even Friday yet.

 

“Schh! You’ll wake someone up.” he heard someone say. The giggles got a little louder and suddenly something, or someone, fell to the floor and someone burst out in laughter. “For ’s sake, Sungmin!”

 

Donghae sat up. Sungmin? Then the person speaking must be Donghae’s ‘best friend’. Donghae raised himself from his bed before silently walking over to the door. He pressed his ear against the door. 

 

“I’ll leave you here and I’ll lock the door! We’re like five meters away from our room, so stop it.” Eunhyuk hissed, apparently not being in such a good mood as Sungmin was. 

 

Curiosity took over and Donghae slowly and carefully opened the door, just a little but enough for him to peek. He saw their backs – Sungmin sitting on the floor, giggling and Eunhyuk walking before stopping in front of a door. He dug in his pockets and took out some keys.

 

“I’ll leave you there for real. I literally carried you all the way here so I won’t help you up.” He said in a low voice, but loud enough for Donghae to hear. 

 

“Hyukie~ Dun be like'tha!" the boy on the floor said in a loud and sloppy voice. Eunhyuk ignored him and just opened the door to their room. Sungmin placed a hand on the wall to raise himself up before swaying over to Eunhyuk, still giggling. Donghae widened his eyes – Sungmin wasn’t actually drunk, was he? Eunhyuk opened the door and placed Sungmin’s arm over his shoulder to help him get inside.

 

He closed the door and locked it.

 


 

AN: Updates changed to once every week; weekends. Keep supporting this! (:

Posted on: 18th July, 2011. Teusday.