Chapter 14

SM Boarding School

The sun was shining bright and clear; waking both Donghae and Siwon up before the alarm clock did. Both teenage males groaned, cursing the sun for getting up so goddamn early. 


“What time is it?” Siwon mumbled, his face pressed against the pillow; an attempt to mitigate the strong sunlight.

Donghae, who was also using the pillow as protection, mumbled back something inaudible, which Siwon understood as an “I don't know”. It took some minutes before both students decided to gather all their common sense and raise themselves from their bed. 


For some reason there was a bit tension in the air, but the reason for that was pretty obvious for both of them. Though neither for them dared to bring it up; Donghae because he wasn't sure if Siwon wanted to know and Siwon because he wasn't sure if Donghae wanted to tell him. But they had already succeeded in becoming close friends so eventually Siwon decided to speak up. He had no idea how to start the conversation so while he was standing in front of the mirror, fixing his uniform tie, he decided to just go straight to the point. 

“How did everything start?” 

“With Hyukjae?” Donghae asked, who just had finished making his bed. He sat down on it. 

“'Eunhyuk'.” Siwon corrected and even sighed slightly annoyingly at his roommates boldness. “And yes, with him.” 

“Remember that trip we made with the teacher to that forest? When me and him got paired up?” In the mirror reflection Donghae could see Siwon drop his chin. “I know.” Donghae said. “I didn't know it would turn out like this.”

The taller one turned around to face the younger and look him in the eyes when he was talking to him. “I honestly have no idea what you're getting yourself into, Donghae.” he said and Donghae could only nod in agreement. “But whatever the heck you're doing I hope you won't regret this”. Donghae kept nodding. “And we're friends so if things go wrong, you know,” Siwon shrugged his shoulders, clearly not being used to say such things. “at least you know that I'm here for you.”

The shorter one immediately shone up. He couldn't stop himself and just had to give his tall friend a hug. “I know.” he said and smiled. Siwon could only sigh as he hugged his friend back. 


Eunhyuk's seat was empty their first lesson, and the teacher didn't ask about it. Same thing with their second, third and fourth lesson and those teachers didn't ask about it either. Sungmin, who switched between acting like Eunhyuk's girlfriend and mother, didn't mind either and Donghae drew the conclusion that he was sick and had already informed their teachers. Though that didn't stop Sungmin, Shindong and some other students to giggle, comment or roll their eyes whenever Donghae said or did something. 

But like all other days, Donghae survived and he almost let out a yell of happiness when the huge, loud clock rang; telling the students that the day finally had ended.

 

After spending some hours with his friends he and Siwon made their way back to their own room. Siwon decided to study for a while, and since Donghae didn't feel the same he left the room to not disturb his friend. With a book in his hands he sat down in one of the couches in the kitchen; his knees close to his chest, and his feet on the seat. He opened the book and started reading.


After a couple of minutes he heard one of the doors open and Donghae, being curious by nature, leaned forward, without even thinking about it, to get a better view of the hallway. There, he saw Sungmin leaving his and Eunhyuk's room. Considering his shorts and tank top, his sunglasses and his bag Donghae could easily guess he wouldn't return anytime soon. He watched as the same aged boy locked the door, adjust his glasses and started walking.

He waited until he heard the main entrance of the boys' dorm open and close, before he left the book on the table in front of him, raised himself and quickly ran over to knock on the door to see if Eunhyuk had left as well.

“You ing have the key, why are you knocking?” he heard an irritated voice from the other side of a door, and a small smile was spread on the younger one's lips. He knocked again, but no one opened. It wasn't until the the fourth knock that he heard heavy and angry steps walk towards the door, and Donghae had to step back to make sure the door wouldn't hit him when it got opened. “What?!” Eunhyuk hissed, clearly not liking whoever was disturbing him. 

His hair was pointing in all possible directions and he was wearing gray sweatpants and, like Sungmin, a similar tank top who only made his defined arms look even better. When realizing it was Donghae standing in front of him, he got wide awake, looked around in the corridor before grabbing a hand full of Donghae's shirt and pulling him inside his room with one motion. He locked the door and turned around to face the younger – clearly not liking his visit. “What do you want?” he asked and didn't wait for a reply before he got to bed again. He turned his back against Donghae and pulled the coverlet up to his chin. 

“Are you sick?” Donghae asked.

“None of your business.”

Obviously, that was a yes. 

“Do you have a fever?” Eunhyuk didn't answer, which didn't surprise Donghae at all, so instead he walked over to sit on the small space that was left on Eunhyuk's bed. Eunhyuk didn't move to give him some more space. “Let me see.” 

Eunhyuk sat up, but not to let Donghae get what he wanted. Instead, he sat up to directly throw Donghae out. “What are you doing here?” he asked, even though he didn't want an answer. “I don't recall giving you permission to–”

Donghae placed both of his hands on either side of Eunhyuk's cheeks, ignoring Eunhyuk's rudeness, and leaned forward to press their foreheads together. Eunhyuk immediately went silent. “Yep.” Donghae said, not looking into Eunhyuk's eyes but up, at his forehead. “You have a fever.”

Waking up from his frozen position, Eunhyuk pushed Donghae back as gently as he could. “What is it with you and skin ship?” he asked and frowned, even though he ended up looking rather cute than threatening in Donghae's opinion.

“What do you mean?” 

“You're always touching everyone, like to a point when it even gets annoying. And you're always being so goddamn close and clinging on everyone. What's wrong with you?”

It sounded like some kind of a disease Donghae seemed to have, and rather than being curious about it, Eunhyuk didn't want anything to do with it. 

“Nothing's wrong with me.” Donghae said. “I'm a skin ship-person.” 

“Then stop it. It's freaking me out.” 

“Most of the time you don't seem to mind.” Donghae said honestly. Eunhyuk frowned again and snorted, before getting back to his previous position on the bed; once again his back facing Donghae. “Besides” Donghae added. “I only do it with people I treasure.” 

There was a moment of silence until Eunhyuk shifted on his bed to find a more comfortable position, and finally giving Donghae some more space to sit on. “Whatever.” he mumble, but the fact that it was a half hearted 'whatever' made Donghae smile. 

~ * ~


Eunhyuk wasn't in school the next day either, though that was the last thing Donghae had in mind. For some reason, their last lesson seemed to go painfully slow. 

What their history teacher was saying was, at the moment, completely uninteresting and Donghae couldn't even pretend that he was listening. And to make things worse, Siwon and Donghae got caught when talking too much so the angry teacher ordered Donghae and another talkative guy to switch places. With a silent sigh Donghae grabbed his books and raised himself, to sit down beside a pretty blonde who Donghae had never talked to before. He gave the girl beside him and awkward smile – feeling the scent of an expensive perfume that came from her as soon as he got close – as if asking for permission to sit down beside her, and she responded it with a much more comfortable smile. 

Donghae sat down and opened his book before placing one elbow on the desk; supporting his chin on his hand, and looked out of the window beside him. He sighed once again, just as silent as before. 

The teacher kept talking about whatever the subject was. When Donghae woke up from his daydreaming he saw that Siwon seemed just as bored as he himself was; if not more, because Donghae at least had a window to entertain himself. He glanced over to the blonde without her noticing because she was too busy writing down what the teacher was saying in her pink notebook. He noticed that her handwriting was neat and her nails were long. 

He turned his face again to look out of the window and suddenly he wasn't in the mood for daydreaming anymore. He saw a male sitting on a bench, his upped body leaning forward, his legs spread and his elbows resting over each knee. Beside him was another male sitting, his back leaning against the wall behind them; a taller brunette with his hair in his famous little ponytail. Even though they were pretty far away Donghae could clearly see who the two guys sitting there were.

He watched as Leeteuk leaned forward a little to tap Eunhyuk's knee motivationally and Donghae was too far away to see Eunhyuk's reaction. He had no idea they were friends. He didn't even know that they actually knew each other. And then, that famous group of mini gangsters walked towards the two males, with Heechul walking in front of them as always, and Donghae felt his stomach cramp at just the sight of his senior, the distance not making any difference. Leeteuk was the first one to raise himself from his sitting position, while Eunhyuk only raised his head to look at his hyungs, and even Donghae could see that there was some tension between both seniors. 

Leeteuk still looked calmed, despite the fact that he didn't have any of his friends there with him, until Heechul approached and pushed him back hard with one hand. Some of Heechul's friends who were standing behind him made themselves ready to however Leeteuk would try to defend himself with. But Leeteuk didn't do anything. Instead, he turned to face Eunhyuk, probably said something and gave him a quick, cheering tap on his right shoulder. He left, without even looking at the same aged males.  

“Can I borrow your eraser?”  The soft voice made Donghae almost jump a little in surprise. He turned his face to look at girl beside him. He looked at her without knowing why or what she wanted, since he hadn't been listening to what she had said. 
She smiled a little. “The eraser.” she repeated and nodded at Donghae's gray eraser; her long golden hair waving a little.  Donghae grabbed it and gave it to her, their hands touching, without saying anything. “Thanks.” she said and smiled again before erasing what she just had wrote. 


Even though Eunhyuk had skipped school today too, Donghae doubted that he still was as sick as yesterday, since he had seen him outside during history class and since he came to his dance practice at night. Though that didn't surprise Donghae. What did surprise him was that Eunhyuk came fifteen minutes earlier than he should have, 9:15p.m. 

“You're early.” Donghae said after turning the music he was dancing to off. 

“Do you mind?” was Eunhyuk's reply as he walked over to the CD player and took Donghae's disk out. 

“I do have fifteen minutes left.”

Eunhyuk ignored the others protest and turned his own music on. Donghae could only sigh as he walked over to sit behind the older, his back against the wall. Honestly, he didn't mind.

While the dancer was doing what he was best in Donghae considered whether he should ask why he hadn't been in class today or not. He watched as Eunhyuk lost himself, not paying any attention to Donghae sitting behind him; matching the beat of the music and his movements perfectly. No, Donghae thought, he probably shouldn't ask. 


Donghae enjoyed sitting there, just watching. But sooner or later time ran out and before he knew it Eunhyuk stopped and turned the music off. He was about to ask what he was doing, why he stopped, but he didn't since the question would be more than stupid. Instead, he raised himself from his position. 

“Are you hungry?” Eunhyuk suddenly asked when changing from his practice shoes to his casual sneakers.

“A little.” Donghae replied as he as well started to get ready to leave, by packing down his CDs. 

“Wanna go and eat something?” 

The question was unexpected and caught Donghae off guard. He turned around to face the older; being completely positive that his ears were playing him a prank. “You're asking me that?” he asked stupidly.

Eunhyuk could impossibly answer that in a nice way. “No.” he said. “I'm asking everyone else here except from you, idiot.” 

Each day that passed Donghae seemed to become a little more immune to Eunhyuk's sarcasm. So he simply ignored it.  “It's already 10p.m.” he said after shooting a glance to the clock. “Isn't everything closed at this hour?”

“Does it look like I care?” Eunhyuk replied and swung his bag over one shoulder. “And I know a few places that are still open. Are you coming or not?” he asked again, this time just waiting for a reply before leaving. 

Donghae looked at the clock again with a bothered look before facing his classmate. “We'll get in trouble if someone sees us.” 

“Never mind then.” Eunhyuk said and opened the door to leave. Though he didn't get that far. 

“Wait!” 

Eunhyuk chuckled, not minding to turn around.

**

Even though it was dark Eunhyuk was still careful in remembering who he actually was walking with. Hence he was wearing his famous doctor-like mask, covering his chin, mouth and half his nose, and covering his head with the hood of his shirt.  Donghae didn't mind though, since he knew it was completely out of character Eunhyuk just asking if he wanted to eat something with him.

They didn't say a word to each other when walking and strangely enough Donghae didn't find it awkward, since he was almost getting used to it. Since Donghae had no idea where they were going he kept his distance two or three steps behind Eunhyuk. But Donghae got a little more nervous for each step they took. He had no idea where they were going or how expensive the restaurant would be. Donghae had a limit in what he could spend when it came to eat out, since he had no expectations of Eunhyuk paying for him. 


The place Eunhyuk chose suited them both. It was neither a expensive one with waiters in fancy uniforms nor McDonald's.  After Eunhyuk made sure he didn't know anyone there, they sat down at an empty table and ordered what they wanted. But when they got their food they still didn't say a word to each other. The silence didn't die until Donghae decided to break it.  

“Are you close friends with Leeteuk hyung?” he suddenly asked.

Eunhyuk looked up from his bowl of food, his chopsticks pressed against his lips, and Donghae immediately saw that he clearly disliked Donghae asking that. Donghae's first impulse was to take it back, but he didn't. How much of a progress would they actually get, if he had to take back everythingEunhyuk didn't like? Eunhyuk didn't mind answering, but just gave the younger a glare to warn him before turning his attention to his food again. He took another bite. But Donghae was stubborn and put his own chopsticks down on the table. 

“I'm not asking what you think about him or how long you've known him. I'm just asking if you're close friends”. No answer and Donghae had started to get tired of Eunhyuk acting like that. Really, it was just a simple question. “Are you?” Donghae asked again and suddenly Eunhyuk slammed his chopsticks and hands hard on the table, making both their bowls squeak from the vibrations. Some guests turned to face where the sound came from, before giving the teenagers a look that told them they were being rude and bad-mannered. Donghae froze.

“That's none of your business.” Eunhyuk hissed. “So stop asking or I'm gonna ing leave you here with that empty wallet of yours.”

This time, Donghae was the one getting silent. He dropped his head slowly, eyes staring at his almost untouched food.

Always, always, always people reminded him of how different he was compared to the other students. That distance, that difference would always be there and people kept repeating it over and over again; bullying him in school just because he apparently wasn't worth as much as they were. And of course Eunhyuk wouldn't be an exception.

“I just lost my appetite.” he said he a low voice before quickly picking up his wallet, leaving enough bills on the table to pay what he had ordered. “Thanks anyway, Eunhyuk shi”. He raised himself from the table, neatly drew his chair up closer to the table, and walked out of the restaurant. 

Eunhyuk, being left alone, just watched as Donghae soon disappeared out of sight. He looked at the almost complete meal the other had left before leaning forward; his elbows resting on the table and his fingers massaging his temples. He let out a loud sigh as he drew one hand through his brown hair.  it, he thought. I don't give a . 

**

For a moment, Donghae regretted leaving the restaurant. Not because he wanted to go back to Eunhyuk, but because he didn't know the way back. He cursed himself for getting lost for the umpteenth time. What was it with him and being outside alone and lost during the night? But at least this time he had his phone with him. He called the first person who came to mind. 

Apparently he wasn't that far away from the school since it only took around ten minutes for Kibum to get there.

“You do know that we're breaking the rules, right?” was the first thing Kibum said when approaching his hyung; both of his hands being in each pocket. 

“I know, and I'm sorry. I wouldn't have called you if I knew the way back. Really.” 

Kibum gave him a lazy smile. “I'm glad you called me anyway.” 

Donghae smiled back and hooked his arm around the younger one's. 

“Do you mind if we take another way back?” Kibum asked. “A little longer one”. The brunette shook his head and the cool air made him move yet a little closer to his dongsaeng.


They both walked slowly, Donghae still holding onto his long time friend, and did what they always did; talked a little about everything. And as always, Donghae was the one talking the most and Kibum didn't mind. Quiet the reversed, he enjoyed it – as always. Neither of them talked about anything important, even though they both seemed to have important things in mind. 

Donghae couldn't prevent himself from seeing the difference between Eunhyuk and Kibum. In Kibum's eyes Donghae was indifferent. He wasn't worth less because he got a scholarship, he wasn't worth less because his family came from the lower class and he wasn't worth less because of his uality and gender. Kibum liked Donghae because of who he was and he didn't care about anything else. Eunhyuk wasn't like Kibum. 


When they finally arrived to the school, almost twenty-five minutes later, Kibum said something funny and Donghae laughed, his head meeting the younger one's shoulder while Kibum just chuckled. That was until they saw another student sitting on the ground, right beside the gate; looking as if he was waiting. Both males got quiet when seeing Eunhyuk look at them. Kibum couldn't stop himself from giving the older one a nasty look and as a reply he got a glare. The happiness in Donghae's disappeared and he walked a little faster, dragging Kibum with him as he did. 

Had he been waiting for him? Even though the thought was nice Donghae didn't dare to think Eunhyuk had actually been waiting for him. But when he turned around to glance at the dancer one last time, he saw him getting up and walk towards their dorms, as if he was done waiting Maybe, just maybe, he actually cared a little.

 


 

Posted on: 12th February, 2012. Sunday.