Chapter 09

SM Boarding School


Day three

Donghae was already sitting up, looking at his team mate, when the alarm rang. He wasn’t looking at him with the same eyes as the previous night – this time it was more like a soft glare. Eunhyuk had unconsciously moved closer and closer to Donghae, his hand touching Donghae’s legs, and when he opened his eyes and realized how close he was to the younger he immediately flew back, being totally awake. “Good morning.” Donghae said but got no respond. Instead Eunhyuk rubbed his eyes and got out of the tent. Donghae stayed in his sitting position, waiting for him. He needed to make things clear.

When Eunhyuk got back he had already washed his face and teeth. He went back to the tent only to get his black cap, to cover his messy hair. “It’s not time for breakfast yet.” Donghae said. Eunhyuk kept ignoring him till he was about to leave but Donghae grabbed his forearm. He glared at the younger – his eyes forbidding Donghae to say what he had in mind. “Do you remember anything of what happened ye–”

“No.” Eunhyuk said sharply, suspiciously fast. He was way too obvious.

“How much did you drink yesterday?”

“Way too much.” Eunhyuk responded and tried to pull his arm out of Donghae’s grip. But Donghae didn’t let go. 

“I don’t believe you.” 

Eunhyuk kept glaring at the younger.

“You’re not even having a hangover.” 

“Yes, I am.” Eunhyuk said, doing one last effort and managed to free himself from the younger’s grip. But Donghae was fast enough to grab his other arm and Eunhyuk moaned in frustration. “What’s wrong with you?!”

“What’s wrong with you?” Honestly, Eunhyuk asked himself the same thing. Eunhyuk wasn’t sounding even half as relaxed as Donghae was which bothered the hell out of him. “Why did you kiss me?” Donghae continued. The forbidden question had been asked.

“I didn’t kiss you.” 

“Then what do you call it?”

“I tripped –” he tried once again to free his arm but failed “– and I fell –” yet another try but Donghae tightened his grip “– and you were in the way –” Eunhyuk would get bruises, for sure, but none of them cared; Eunhyuk just wanted to escape and Donghae refused to let go “– and I wasn’t thinking.” 

Donghae widened his eyes. Was that a confession? He should be grinning, enjoying his victory, but he was too surprised.  “So you admit that you kissed me?” 

“Let go of me, idiot!” was Eunhyuk’s reply. 

“What are you guys doing?” a voice coming from outside asked and the tent opened. Their teacher was crouched down in front of the tent, while Eunhyuk and Donghae froze in their positions. The man slowly raised one eyebrow and so did the students standing behind him. Donghae pouted before letting go of Eunhyuk’s arm, while Eunhyuk thanked his teacher in his mind for saving him.


Eunhyuk avoided Donghae as much as possible. And he was thinking out plans of how to keep avoiding him when it was time to start their teamwork. But the clock was ticking way too fast and when it was time Eunhyuk still hadn’t figured out a plan. Instead, he sighed soundlessly and tried to mentally prepare himself. Maybe he could try being exceptionally mean and that way Donghae would avoid him instead of him avoiding Donghae.

“Hyukjae shi!” he heard Donghae call and that woke him up from his thoughts. He realized Donghae just said something forbidden; he had called him by his real name. He turned his head and looked around; the students were staring at Donghae with eyes wide opened and their eyebrows high up on their foreheads. Even the teacher looked at Donghae in surprise.

The dancer raised himself from the stump he was sitting on and walked fast over to the boy calling him. “Don’t call me that.” he said in a low voice, still feeling everyone’s eyes on them. 

Donghae frowned at that, not understanding what he had done wrong, till he remembered that you had to be V.I.P to call Eunhyuk by his real name. Absurd. Like most things were in this class. “But that’s your name, isn’t it?” Donghae insisted, a little too much confident in his voice for Eunhyuk’s liking. Eunhyuk frowned and hit the younger on his head. Not hard so it would hurt but just to warn him. “Yes, yes.” Donghae sighed. “Whatever makes you happy.” 


Hours passed and the evening came. Even though the kiss was the only think Donghae could think of he didn’t mention it again. He didn’t think it was worth it; bringing it up again and having to deal with a mean and angry Eunhyuk the rest of the day. So instead they walked in silence in the forest, Eunhyuk leading the way even though he was just as bad as Donghae was with maps. After some minutes, they both didn’t seem to care about the task and just walked, enjoying the beautiful nature. They were both in their own little world and didn’t notice the sky suddenly turning gray, thick clouds covering everything. Donghae grabbed a tree branch as support when walking over some rocks and some roots, when he suddenly felt a water drop on his hand.

He looked at his hands in surprise and then looked up, not noticing the change in the sky till now. “It’s raining.” he said.  Eunhyuk turned to look at him and when he did he felt something wet fall down on his forehead.

Only minutes later the rain just poured down and they both had to run back to their tent, with wet clothes and hair.

They both were running, Eunhyuk still leading the way, getting wetter and wetter with each step. They were both wearing just T-shirts and jeans and Donghae couldn’t help but feel bad when seeing Eunhyuk’s clothes getting wet, since his clothes were probably third times as expensive as his own.

Eunhyuk finally recognized the way and soon they were standing outside their tent. Other students were also already there, complaining out loud, while other students were running with all their might towards their own tent. Their teacher was just laughing at the timing; the rain waiting to come 
after they would finish today's task. 


Before entering they rolled up their sleeping bags and put them aside since they didn’t want them to get wet. They were still freezing when being inside. Donghae was about to say something when he saw Eunhyuk getting up on his knees and taking his wet T-shirt off. The younger immediately looked at another direction, his face getting hot and red. But he couldn’t help his eyes glancing over at the dancer; his wet hair pasted to his neck and face, his arms, chest, shoulders, back... Donghae swallowed loudly and turned to look somewhere else again. He didn’t dare to look back at the other till he was 100% sure Eunhyuk had put another shirt on.

Donghae still had his wet shirt on when he remembered that Siwon had packed a small, thin blanket in Donghae’s bag. He smiled and thanked Siwon in his mind before searching for it in his bag and pulling it out. He was too shy to change his shirt and just wrapped himself in the blanket. “So cold...” he mumbled to himself, a shiver running down his spine from just mentioning it. He rubbed his hands under the blanket, being very greatful since they didn't have to go out again today. 

The rain was loud, thousands of drops crashing on top of the tent; holding a pace that was almost musical. Rain wasn’t that bad actually. Rain could be nice and cosy, when being together with a precious person. Donghae thought about his family, his hyung, mother and father. He thought about his friends, the ones he left in Mokpo, Kibum, Siwon and even Ryeowook. Then he glanced over at the person who wasn’t his hyung nor Kibum, Siwon or Ryeowook. It was Lee Hyukjae who was sharing this nice and cosy moment with him. He sighed silently.

Eunhyuk seemed to be in his own little world, his knees up to his chest and his arms embracing them. He was obviously still freezing. “Are you freezing?” Donghae asked.

Eunhyuk shook his head, not looking at him. A weird and awkward thought crossed Donghae’s mind. But he would rather be weird and awkward than mean and selfish. “I know you’re allergic to me” he started and Eunhyuk chuckled soundlessly “but this blanket is big enough for both of us.”

What Donghae meant didn’t shock Eunhyuk and he just shook his head again. Donghae dared to move a little closer and Eunhyuk glanced at him, without turning his head. “Do you want to talk?” Donghae carefully asked, as if talking to a scared child.

Eunhyuk new exactly what kind of talk Donghae had in mind. “I want you to leave me alone.” he answered. 

“It’s raining outside and half this tent is supposed to be mine.” 

Eunhyuk turned to glare at him, prohibiting Donghae to go any closer. “Then stay in our half and don’t talk to me.”  

Eunhyuk knew Donghae wouldn’t care at all. And Donghae knew Eunhyuk knew that he wouldn’t care at all. So Donghae kept talking. “I just don’t get what you want. One day you’re a total jerk and the next day you’re suddenly on my side. How about being honest for once?” No respond. Donghae wasn’t even expecting one. “What do you want?” 

The cold didn’t succeed in giving Eunhyuk goose bumps, but Donghae’s voice did. His voice was so soft, speaking to him so gently even though they both knew how Eunhyuk had been treating him every since the first day. “Right now I want you to shut up and leave me alone.” 

Donghae could clearly hear that Eunhyuk was getting more and more nervous, for every second that passed. For a split second they changed roles; Donghae being in control and Eunhyuk being the underdog. But Donghae didn’t take advantage of it, like Eunhyuk always did. “Why do you treat me so bad?” 

The victim asking his bully ‘why’. How ironic. Eunhyuk wondered if it was raining more now. The sound suddenly seemed to be so much louder. Or he was just being very attentive now, too attentive for his own liking. He tried to think about the drops, anything that would distract him from Donghae.

“Are you scared?” Donghae suddenly asked.

Eunhyuk forced out a chuckle and a smirk. “Of you?” he asked, arrogantly.

“Of the hyungs.”

Eunhyuk tensed his body and his smirk immediately disappeared. He turned to look at Donghae, his eyes only expressing anger and hate. “Don’t get too confident with me, you beggar” he warned. "or I swear you'll regret it.”


Donghae went silent since he was clever enough to figure out that if he kept to his subject Eunhyuk would only end up really pissed off. And maybe Donghae really would regret what could happen. He moved away from Eunhyuk a little. 


Since Donghae stopped talking they sat in silence. After some minutes Eunhyuk suddenly pointed, still being too angry to talk, at something beside Donghae. Donghae turned to look what Eunhyuk wanted. The dancer was pointing at their pile of clothes and bags.

“What?” he asked.

“My bag.” he answered shortly. Donghae grabbed one of the bags that wasn’t his own. “The other one, idiot.”

Donghae randomly grabbed another bag but Eunhyuk's glare told him that this also was the wrong bag.“Then grab it yourself." Donghae said, as nice as possible. He didn't want to make Eunhyuk angrier than he already was.

Eunhyuk sighed, loudly and angrily, before leaning forward. At the exact moment he did that Donghae moved to adjust and sit a little more comfortable and they ended up with their faces inches away from each other. They both froze, staring at each other with eyes wide opened. Eunhyuk didn't seem to be angry anymore. 

They stayed like that, like statues, just looking at each other and Eunhyuk’s eyes kept falling to look at Donghae’s lips. He tried with all his might to look at Donghae’s eyes instead, but that was too embarrassing and in the end he had no idea where to look. Pulling away never came to his mind. “I'm too close” Eunhyuk said in a low voice, almost a whisper. He didn't say that to Donghae, but just said out loud what he was thinking. “Isn’t this awkward?”  That was said to Donghae and not to himself. He was still speaking in a low voice. 

Donghae nodded slowly before they both suddenly closed that tiny, tiny space between their lips. Soft lips against soft lips. The kiss was slow, an exploration. Both their bodies were paralyzed and neither of them dared to touch the other, even though they both wanted it. Donghae dared to make the first move; his hand slowly, slowly rising and his fingertips touching Eunhyuk’s cheek. Feeling Donghae touching his face Eunhyuk got the confident to use his tongue, his tongue sneaking into Donghae’s mouth and he could feel Donghae gasp and the sudden action. They had finished their exploration and the kiss got a little more forceful, as they dared to move a little closer; eyes closing, arms embracing, tongues dancing together and hearts racing.

Eunhyuk removed Donghae's blanket with one hand before pressing Donghae down, making Donghae fall down on his back with Eunhyuk over him, supporting himself on both his hands that were placed on either side of Donghae's head, without breaking the kiss. Donghae's arms embraced Eunhyuk, his hands meeting on Eunhyuk's back. 

“Hyukie yah!” 

They both froze when hearing Sungmin whisper outside their tent. Eunhyuk broke the kiss. He widened his eyes and held his breath when exactly realizing what had happened, but they still stayed in their positions.  


“Hyukie, are you there?" 

It had stopped raining, without them noticing it. They still kept looking at each other without moving, till Eunhyuk slowly removed Donghae's hands from him and pulled away, without saying anything. Donghae didn't dare to say anything either and raised himself a little, supporting his body on his elbows. Eunhyuk put his shoes on without even looking at Donghae, grabbed the nearest sweater and left. 


He didn’t return that night, but stayed in one of his friends’ tent, and Donghae didn’t know if he should feel relived or sad about it. But in the end he just felt sad and not relived at all. Sad and confused.

 


 

Posted on: 6th December. 2011.