The Next Day

The Love Bet

Chapter 6

Jiyong woke up first the next morning.  Sooyeon was still sleeping on the far corner of the bed. He wondered how she had been able to stay like that throughout the night. He pulled himself off the bed and headed to the washroom.  It was still early in the morning and Jiyong was surprised at himself; he normally never woke up that early. However, it may have to do with the recent events that occurred.

Halfway to the washroom, he sighed and sat on the corner of the bed again; he had no idea what he was going to do now. He glanced at Sooyeon and wondered what it would be like to actually be her husband. He just couldn’t picture it: he wasn’t husband material, he did not marry--but he just had and that fact made Jiyong stressed out. He could not just stay married. For him, that was not an option and if he were to be a jerk about it then so be it. He wasn’t normally a jerk but the image of being a married guy was not a pleasant one for him.

He resolved that he should probably get another person’s point of view and got up once again. After freshening up he went to the living room to find Seunghyun. He wasn’t sure just who had stayed the night, but had an idea, which turned out to be correct when he spotted Seunghyun.

Instead of going back to the bedrooms after the movie had ended, everyone had just fallen asleep in the living room. They were all sprawled over the couches and floor. Jiyong had to step over a few of them to get to Seunghyun. Upon getting there he nudged Seunghyun a few times.

“Huh?” Seunghyun mumbled, opening his eyes only to cover them again with his arm.

“Yo, wake up,” Jiyong whispered to make sure he didn’t wake anyone else up. He nudged Seunghyun again who in return pushed Jiyong’s hand away.

“What’s your problem?” Seunghyun grumbled but sat up anyway. He rubbed his hand over his eyes to get the sleep away.

“I needed to talk to you.”

Seunghyun glared at the guy standing in front of him. “You couldn’t wait ‘till I woke up later?”

“No,” Jiyong grabbed Seunghyun’s arm and pulled him up. “Now come on.”

Seunghyun shrugged off Jiyong’s hands but got up nonetheless. “You’re a bastard, you know that?”

“Yeah, yeah, I know,” Jiyong replied while leading Seunghyun towards the washroom. “Just get ready. We’ll talk in a bit.” 

Seunghyun turned to Jiyong, “What?”

“I mean were going on a walk,” Jiyong said and pushed Seunghyun to move towards the washroom.

Seunghyun gave him a weird look. “Since when do we go on walks?”

“Since now.” Finally, after giving Seunghyun a final shove he ended up at the door to the washroom. Seunghyun shook his head and reluctantly went in.

Ten minutes later, Jiyong was closing the door of the house with Seunghyun behind him. At first they just walked. Seunghyun kept giving Jiyong weird looks as Jiyong looked like he was daydreaming.

“So, what’d you want to ‘talk’ about?” Seunghyun said while raising his hands to form the quotations symbol. It was silent for a while as they walked with Jiyong thinking of a proper answer.

“This whole marriage thing,” he said at last.

“What about it?” Seunghyun could see how there would be problems as he knew his friend better than anyone else. He could already see where this was going.

“I don’t want to stay married. I don’t get why my dad even decided to do this to me.” Jiyong mumbled.

“You know exactly why,” Seunghyun gave Jiyong an accusing look. He was sure Jiyong knew why; after all those times Mr. Kwon pestered his son to get married made it very clear.

Jiyong groaned and ran a hand down his face, “ugh, don’t remind me.” Jiyong shuddered just thinking of it.

“Ever since I turned twenty he set up these dates for me and ever time, I would come home telling him that it didn’t work out. But, did he listen?” Jiyong turned to Seunghyun.

No,” he drew out. “He would just set me up on more of those stupid dates where the girls where total air heads and didn’t know the meaning of having fun. Did he ever listen to me? No, why would he? Then I asked him why? And you know the answer I got in return?” Jiyong asked and Seunghyun knew what was coming.

“He goes and bestows upon me that he has freaking colon cancer and won’t live longer than a few years! ‘Cause you know that’s gonna make me feel any better. First, he’s setting up dates for me and then he says he’s doing cause he wants to see me settled in before he goes and dies on all of us.” He laughs bitterly and stares at the sky, “Are you happy now dad? You’ve finally gotten what you wanted all along.”

 “What’re you gonna do now?” Seunghyun asked, trying to drift this conversation onto different subjects.

“That’s what I wanted to talk about; I don’t know what I’m gonna do now.” Jiyong spotted a bench and sat, Seunghyun followed.

“What happened to just leaving?” Even if Seunghyun didn’t exactly approve of this, it was what Jiyong would have come up with eventually.

“I was thinking of that—but is it the right way?” Jiyong said and glanced at Seunghyun.

“Is it?” Seunghyun raised an eyebrow at his friend and leaned back on the bench, crossing his arms.

Jiyong leaned his elbows on his knees and placed his head in his hands. He ran his hands through his hair a few times before lifting his head again. “No it isn’t…”

“And?”

And I’m still thinking of leaving,” Jiyong replied.

“Thought so,” Seunghyun muttered under his breath. He knew Jiyong enough to know that he rarely does what he thinks is right. Sighing, he got up. “Well, now that our little talk is over we should head back. Everyone’s probably awake by now.”

Jiyong nodded and followed Seunghyun back to the house.

~~~

By the time they got back to the house everyone was awake and were just about to have breakfast due to Mrs. Jung’s persistence. The others had not wanted to intrude and were going to leave but she insisted and everyone was having breakfast.

That all crowded around the table and grabbed the food that was laid out. They all grabbed something and went to sit in various locations since there wasn’t enough space on the table. When Jiyong got to the table, he stared at it in unease; he didn’t have an appetite anymore. Instead of grabbing the food Mrs. Jung cooked, he grabbed a banana and started eating even though he still didn’t feel like it.

After half an hour, everyone had just about left.

Jiyong and Mr. Park were the only two that stayed back, but, it seemed that they wouldn’t be staying for much longer either.

“So Jiyong what are your plans now?” Mr. Jung asked when they all sat down on the couches in the living room.

“I think that at the moment, I should go back to the city.” Jiyong looked at Mr. and Mrs. Jung and decided that he should continue what he was saying. “I think that it would be best for me to go and then, when I am truly ready, I will come back. I just feel as though that both I and Sooyeon were dragged into this marriage far too quickly and we didn’t get time to really grasp the concept of marriage. I would definitely love to get to know Sooyeon more,” he looked at Sooyeon who was staring at her lap, then turned his gaze back at the two parents, “but I think that a bit more time before that would be nice.”

They both nodded their heads, slowly taking in what Jiyong said. Then they turned their gazes towards Sooyeon.

“Honey, what do you think of that? Do you feel the same as Jiyong?” asked Mrs. Jung.

“I- uhhh-,” she looked at Jiyong and he was giving her this look that was begging her to agree with him. She wasn’t sure what the right choice was. Her heart kind of wanted to get to know Jiyong because she wanted this marriage to work; even if it were for the sake of her parents’ expectations. But then, looking at Jiyong she saw that he however did not want to be with her at the moment. Deep down, Sooyeon knew what she was about to do would cause her a lot of regret, but she did it anyway. Just like she always had.

 “Yes, I do.”

“Well then, we can’t really go against both of their wills.” Mrs. Jung looked at her husband. He nodded and then turned to Sooyeon for one last confirmation.

“Are you really sure about this?”

“Yes.”

~~~

Fri., Feb. 13, 2015: So this is the end of my updating spree for now =D I will update more chapters in a few days and get this story going once again. I thank all of you who have supported this story and I will get  to updating it once again, I pormise!

Friday, February 28, 2014

mycatWalter: hiya! Mar5122 worked extremely (and surprisingly) speedy to finish this chapter in what I would say record time. All I can say at this point is that I hope that all you can enjoy this chapter too! :3

Mar5122: Hey there!! So I really did update quickly- at least quick for me. =) I hope you liked it. Also by the way I kind of changed a bit of the first chapter. Not much just added aline or two. It's just I don't want to change the title but at the same time I want it to actually work with the story so I added some things in the first chapter to make it work. ^_^

p.s. Have you guys watched the Mr.Mr. MV for SNSD yet?? I have to say i really liked it. Sooo many people are saying that they don't like it but I feel that it's good. Its very different but good. They tried something new and on my behaf it worked out great. Now i cant wait for their live performances so we can see their full choreo (The ddance break looks amazing!) XD