To Succeed or Fail?

The Love Bet

Jessica let her head fall and banged it against the table causing her to jump back up. “Oww, bad idea,” she muttered as she rubbed her forehead before turning around and seeing if Jiyong had seen.

She sighed when she saw him still talking to some guy. So far this date had been a failure, at least in Jessica’s eyes.

Everything she did would backfire and then when she thought to do something else, it wouldn’t work out either. She had started off following what Tiffany had suggested and tried the amusement park, which wasn’t a bad idea to let their inner child come out but apparently it was closed for some sort of maintenance. Then, since there was a museum nearby Jessica thought it would be cool to go there and then found out that they didn’t open until a week later. Then after all hope was lost, she decided to go to the movies. When they got there, however, the movies they wanted to watch had already started and it would be an hour until the next show runs.

That’s how they ended up going for a late lunch at the nearest café. Jessica was exhausted and wanted the day to end but it seemed Jiyong found it all amusing. She had suggested just heading home again but he told her it was alright. It didn’t seem alright to Jessica, considering Jiyong had went to talk to the first person he recognized, leaving Jessica alone at the table.

Jessica looked behind him to his friend. The guy looked like a model and Jessica tried to remember if he’d ever been to the company. Nothing popped up so she forgot about it.

She picked at the pastry lying in front of her. When she looked up again she saw Jiyong heading back. Her hand went back to her forehead to make sure there wasn’t a bump on it. Relieved when it felt alright, she set her hand back down.

“Sorry about that,” Jiyong said when he reached the table and started to sit down. “It’s just we used to work together but then he moved so I haven’t seen him for a while.’

“How long have you been modeling?” asked Jessica who tried to forget Jiyong had ditched her; he had a good enough reason.

“Six years? I think. It was around the time I was in high school. I went with my dad to the company and ended up in the fashion sub company. Someone saw me and said I should be the model for a shoot and I kind of just went with it. It seemed like the only thing I was good at.”

Jessica nodded and picked at the pastry again.  Jiyong chuckled, “You really don’t like that, do you?”

“Huh?” startled she looked at him and he pointed to her pastry. She looked down and saw her pastry ad become a mess of puncture holes from her fork.  “Oh,” she smiled lopsidedly. She didn’t mind the pastry, she usually liked it but her mind was distracted and she didn’t feel hungry.

“Do you wanna order something else?” he asked.

She shook her head, “No it’s fine. I’m just not that hungry.”

“This date was supposed to be to bring my mood up, right? It wasn’t meant to bring down yours, so what’s wrong?”

She shook her head again, “Nothing, it just seems this date was a failure.”

Jiyong sighed, “Didn’t I say that it was fine? Dates don’t have to be something complicated, we could be at the house and just talk and I would be fine with that. Even working on your fashion project would’ve been fine.”

Jessica raised her brows, “Really? Working on something where I would’ve probably ignored you and focused on the work only would’ve been fun for you?”

He thought about it, “Okay, so I guess not, but I think you’re exaggerating it a bit.”

“Oh yeah? When we work on the project together before how did I work?” she pointed out.

He pursed his lips, “Alright you have me there. So maybe that wouldn’t have been that fun but there are so many things we could do that don’t have to be so extravagant. Simple works too.”

“I guess,” she said. It wasn’t like she was an expert in dating so she didn’t know what she had to do. Jessica went back at picking on her pastry until she felt Jiyong’s eyes on her. “What?”

“Can I ask you a question?” he asked and she nodded. “Sorry if this is offensive but have you actually been on dates before?”

She looked away, even though she had dated before it felt like she had never dated. The relationship was so plain and they never did anything together that Jessica couldn’t even count it as dating.

“You haven’t?” He exclaimed with his eyes wide open. He leaned closer and Jessica averted her gaze again. She shrugged.

“Seriously? How can a girl like you not have gone on dates before? But, didn’t you say you dated before?”

“Yeah and? I never said I didn’t go on any dates.”

“So that means you didn’t go on many dates”

“Why does it matter?” she snapped not liking this conversation anymore.

“Because it doesn’t make sense how a beautiful girl like you hasn’t gone on many dates before.”

She snorted, Jiyong sure didn’t think that when Jessica was Sooyeon. She shook her head, she promised Yuri she would get over that and had to try her best to think like that.

“What if it was me who rejected those dates? What if I didn’t want to go on them?” she lied, it wasn’t like she could really give a true response that. She wasn’t about to say that she had gotten a makeover and that was the only reason guys had glanced at her. It was also partly because she gave up on love at a point and didn’t pay attention. She just blended in like she wanted to and no one ever bothered her.

“But why would you do that? What if you ended up liking the guy?”

Jessica quirked an eyebrow wondering why Jiyong was even asking that, “If they really wanted to go out with me they would have tried harder.”

Jiyong grinned mischievously, “Like me.”

Jessica snorted and tried to hide the smile growing on her face. She shook her head, “Go ahead, think like that, doesn’t make a difference to me.”

This time it was Jiyong’s turn to raise an eyebrow, “It doesn’t?”

She shook her head, “Nope.”

He smirked and leaned forward over the table so they were inches apart, “Really?” She moved back and nodded.

“Really,” she said and started to get up. Jiyong moved back to his seat and looked up at Jessica.

“Where’re we going?” he asked while also getting up.

“To Kwon & Co,” she responded as they exited the café. They had already paid for their food so they didn’t need to waste time on that.

“What?” he stopped in his tracks.

She turned back to him a smirk appearing on her, “What? Didn’t you say working would have been a fun date?”

“No!” he said quickly and caught up to Jessica who started walking again. “Didn’t we establish that it wouldn’t be?”

“I don’t know, you’re the one who claimed it would’ve been fun,” she said as she opened the driver’s door to Jiyong’s car. He had given her the keys earlier so she could drive wherever she wanted to. He was regretting it now.

He pouted as he got into the car and Jessica bent over laughing. She held onto the steering wheel for support.

“Yeah go ahead, laugh at my misery,” he crossed his arms and looked out the window.

Jessica straightened up and patted Jiyong’s shoulder, “It won’t so bad.”

“Sure it won’t,” he scowled and Jessica grinned.

“You were the one who mentioned it,” she reminded him.

“Alright, alright, I get it. I was the one who said it would be fun but didn’t we come to the conclusion that it wouldn’t be?”

“I don’t know, I may have missed that part.” Jiyong scowled at her and then slouched on the seat.

The rest of the ride was done in silence but occasionally Jessica would start laughing and Jiyong would sulk even more.  When they reached the company Jessica got out and Jiyong slowly followed. When they entered they saw that the place was empty.

“Are you sure we’re allowed to be here?” Jiyong asked. Jessica looked at him oddly.

“Yeah we are and if you’re only saying that to get out of here, that’s not happening. Plus, you're like the heir to this company so I doubt they would kick us out even if we weren't allowed.”

Jiyong sighed and followed Jessica to a table full of sketchpads.

“Stand over there,” Jessica pointed to the little stage like thing in front of the table. Jiyong reluctantly went to stand there.

“What’re you going to do?” he asked.

“Draw you,” she responded curtly while trying to find a pencil to sketch with.

“Draw me?”

She nodded, “Yup.” She sat down and placed the sketchpad in front of her when she found a pencil. “Now stand still.”

“I am st-“

“-Shh,” she interrupted, holding a finger to her lips and Jiyong chuckled. But, when she looked up at him he instantly stopped.

For the next ten minutes Jiyong tried his hardest to stand still which proved harder than he thought. He eventually resorted to watching Jessica draw as her hands fluidly moved along the paper. She was so concentrated and her eyebrows were furrowed. She would occasionally look up and hold the pencil between her lips then look back down. Then she would erase something and start re-drawing it. 

Suddenly, she put the pencil down and sighed.

“What happened?” Jiyong asked. “Are you done?”

She shook her head, “I can’t get it right.”

“Can I see?” he asked.

“No, not yet,” she replied as she tried to hide it from his vision.

“So, what’s the problem?” he asked instead of pushing it since he knew she would show it to him when she was done.

“You.”

“Me?” He was taken back at that, “Why am I the problem?”

“You- you’re, just distracting. You keep staring at me. It’s hard to draw because of that,” she murmured.

He laughed, “Really? That’s why you can’t draw? Didn’t you tell me not to move?”

“I know,” she whined. “It’s just harder than it seems and on top of your staring this is the first time I’ve drawn from a live person. Usually I just draw things that come to mind, I don’t focus on the body shape and stuff. The model of the clothes gets chosen after I’ve drawn them not before.”

“Alright then why don’t you do that now? Just draw the clothes like you would before and then adjust them to fit my body style?”

She shook her head, “No that wouldn’t work. You know what, let me just try this one more time and see how it goes.”

He nodded and went back to where he was standing as Jessica started drawing. A few minutes later she raised both her hands in the air and yelled, “Yes!”

Jiyong was startled, “You’re done?”

“Well the rough sketch is. I just need to add in all the details. You can come and sit down now; I don’t need to look at you anymore.”

He let out a sound of pain and patted a hand to his heart, “That hurt, you don’t need to look at me anymore.” He shook his head and sniffled.

She gave him a blank stare and he sighed, “Okay that was a bad joke, I’m sorry.”

She shook her head and got up to get a packet of pencil crayons. She sat back down and started to work. He walked towards the table and sat across from Jessica. After a few seconds of staring at Jessica again he realized she probably wouldn’t like that. Instead he grabbed a sketchbook and pencil and started to draw. First it started out as a stick figure but he erased it and started to draw Jessica.

He admitted to himself that he couldn’t draw to save his life. It looked more like a cow than Jessica and he laughed. He didn’t even know how that was possible.

Jessica glanced at Jiyong and in return he held his drawing up. She stared at the drawing, “What is that supposed to be? Some sort of animal?”

Instead of answering, he set the picture down again and started writing on it. He wrote Jessica’s name and an arrow towards the picture. He held up the picture again.

Jessica’s eye’s almost popped out her sockets, “That’s me?

He nodded and grinned, “Yup.”

She stared at him blankly for a second but then burst out laughing. “Please tell me you weren’t thinking of pursuing a career in art,” she asked when her laughter died down.

“I don’t know, after looking at this masterpiece I may just think about it.”

Deciding not to reply she looked down at her own sketch, “I’m done.”

“Oh, you are? Can I see?” he asked, totally forgetting about his own drawing.

“Uh-huh, here,” she passed the sketch to him and Jiyong was awestruck.

“You sure you shouldn’t be going into art?” he asked. The drawing caught every little detail about his body and drew clothes that he could really picture himself wearing.

She laughed, “I’m not that good.”

“Yeah you are. You just drew and coloured that in a little over ten minutes, that’s amazing.”

She shrugged and got back up.

“What’re we doing now?” he asked, also getting up and grabbing the sketch book just in case.

“We need your measurements and unless you remember all of them we need to get them re-measured,” she said and tried to look for a measuring tape.

“Wait what? You need my measurements?” he set the sketchbook down.

“That’s what I just said.”

He stared at her while she looked for a measuring tape. “Does that mean you’re going to be making all these clothes by yourself as well?” It seemed like a lot of work but fortunately she shook her head.

“No, I’m getting help with one of the actual designers who produce the clothes. He’s helping me put it all together but I have to do everything else by myself, like choosing the materials and the measurements, for example.”

Jiyong nodded just as Jessica found the measuring tape and a notepad to note the numbers on. That was when Jessica lost all her confidence and started to act awkwardly as she stood a foot away from Jiyong playing with the measuring tape.

“What’s wrong?” he asked with a smirk. His cockiness was what made Jessica stare back at him.

“Nothing,” she replied and walked closer. “Spread your arms.”

“Gladly," he replied with a grin. She tried to hide her blush by measuring his lower body first, which turned out to be a bad choice.

After a period of extreme awkwardness, Jessica got back up and measured his waist, torso and then his arms. She didn’t realize that by that point their bodies were almost touching, until she looked away to record his measurements and his face was staring at her.

~~~

Thursday, July 10, 2015

Woo-hoo!  An early update for once lol! I hope you enjoyed it and don't forget to comment/subscribe!

P.s the story is coming to a close soon, there are only about three or four chapters left...yeah, I'm sad too but I didn't want the story to go on for too long before Jiyong finds out the truth (it's already too long honestly)

But! I am going to try to write a new story! I'm just having a hard time figuring out who to pit as the main characters. Would you like to see these two again or someone totally different? Please leave suggestions in the comments!