Going an a Drive

The Love Bet

Chapter 3

"I'm sorry, I totally forgot," Sooyeon waved awkwardly to the three males who were staring at her, "I'll be right back."

She ran up to her room, whacking her head while doing so. She tried to get herself together; she knew that her soon-to-be husband would be here when she got back but she still needed some time.

"Sooyeon I presume?" Mr. Park asked, his eyes drifting to the direction Sooyeon walked off to.

“Yes, that is her," Mr. Jung replied while chuckling at his daughters antics.

Jiyong too was looking at the direction where Sooyeon walked off to. He couldn’t quite believe what he was seeing. That was not the way he expected her to look or at least hoped to look.

Sooyeon entered her room and saw how she looked, letting out a gasp when she saw herself. Her hands went up into her hair as she tried to fix her short golden locks. She patted her hair down until she was semi- satisfied with how she looked. Then she took off her glasses and cleaned them because somehow they got messy as she was walking home. Looking down at her choice of clothing, she thought it would be best if she changed into something a bit more presentable. After a minute of rustling through her wardrobe she found a decent shirt and jeans.

She closed her bedroom door after getting dressed and started to walk downstairs; her steps really slow. She couldn’t stop thinking about Jiyong. He looked rich, based on his clothes that he wore. She wasn’t aware that he would be rich, her dad failed to mention Jiyong’s background and she didn’t really pester him much about it either, which Sooyeon was regretting now. Sooyeon grew up being relatively average and she never really met someone who was rich. She didn’t like to stereotype but at this point she didn’t know what to expect of him.

She started entering the living room slowly, wanting to delay the meeting even more. All heads turned to her as she entered. One person’s caught her attention quickly: Jiyong. He stared at her with a blank look which Sooyeon didn’t know how to decipher. However, she couldn’t seem to look away; his eyes held her there. Not only was he rich, Sooyeon concluded, he was good looking as well. She couldn’t tell how tall he was while sitting down but he looked taller than her five-three structure.

"Oh, look at these two. Why don't we leave them alone for the time being so they can get to know each other?" Mr. Jung interrupted their staring contest they had going on.

Snapping out of it, they both turned their heads to his direction. Before they could say anything Mr. Jung wheeled out of the room followed by Mr. Park.

“Umm…” Sooyeon just stood awkwardly for a second glancing between Jiyong and the door which the two adults left from.

“Hi,” she said at last, when it seemed like Jiyong wasn’t about to say anything. She walked over to the empty couch across Jiyong and sat on it.

"Hi,” he replied curtly.

“So, what do you do for living?" she asked after a few seconds of silence.

"Well not much, just this and that.”

And so that went for the next fifteen minutes; Sooyeon asked questions and Jiyong replied without actually asking any questions of his own. After a while she got slightly irked at how Jiyong was acting and gave up. They sat in silence after that until Mr. Jung came in telling them that dinner was ready. Sooyeon noticed that her little sister was already seated at the table.

"Oh, when did you get here?" asked Sooyeon.

"Well, I didn’t want to ruin whatever moment you were having with Jiyong,” whispered Krystal, low enough that only Sooyeon would her.

Sooyeon glared at her sister, “Nothing happened.” She hit the back Krystal’s head as if punishing her for even thinking that.

"Oww,” Krystal rubbed the spot Sooyeon hit her. “Did you have to do that in front of brother- in- law?"

Sooyeon's face turned bright red and she sat down at the table, but didn't notice that she sat down right across from Jiyong until she looked up. Sooyeon was getting uncomfortable with the way Jiyong had been looking at her. Ever since she saw him, he had the same expression and that was starting to freak her out. She wondered if he was like that all the time.

That face happened to be Jiyong’s thinking face. He had been trying to analyze Sooyeon ever since he met her and he came to one conclusion: she was not his type. He found her boring, which was another reason why he had that face; he couldn’t help it.

“Sorry for the lackluster dinner,” Mr. Jung said as he set down the last of the food. “My wife usually prepares dinner but she’s on a business trip right now.”

“When does she get back?” Mr. Park asked, as everyone started eating.

"She’ll be here for the wedding tomorrow. Her plane lands here today."

Sooyeon’s eyes widened while she tried to swallow the food in , "Really? Moms back, oh my gosh! Can I be the one to pick her up, please?" she pleaded.

"Dad, why don’t you let her go and send brother-in-law along with her?” asked Krystal, giving puppy eyes to her Dad, then she turned to Sooyeon and smirked. Sooyeon glared at her younger sister; Sooyeon was totally going to get her later.

"That’s a wonderful idea," replied her dad.

"Alright," she beamed; it’d been over a week since she had last seen her mother so she was glad to be seeing her now.

Jiyong got up reluctantly, glancing to Sooyeon and down to his almost-but-not done plate of food. He shrugged; it wasn’t like he had much of an appetite anyway. He looked at Sooyeon who just ran to the garage smiling.

"Did she remember the keys to the car?" Jiyong asked, remembering that she ran out the minute she heard she was allowed to pick up her mom.

His answer came when Sooyeon ran back into the house, panting for air.

"There's your answer," Krystal laughed at her sister’s actions. She grabbed the keys and held them out to Jiyong. "She'll probably forget about you if I give her the keys."

Jiyong took them and walked towards the garage. He could see Sooyeon following him from the corners of his eyes.

"Jiyong, may I have the keys?" Sooyeon asked very quietly. She hadn’t gotten over his personality yet so she wasn’t able to speak up with him.

"Oh, yeah, here," he passed over the keys and finally got a good view of the car. It wasn’t bad, he guessed. Obviously not a sports car of any sorts but he kind of realized that wouldn’t be the case. He had thought it would be even worse of a car than that really, but it was a semi recent model of a Toyota.

Sooyeon walked to the driver’s side and got in; Jiyong doing the same thing. She started the car and drove it out of the garage. After that it went quiet for a while, Sooyeon started concentrating on driving and didn't really pay attention to what Jiyong was saying. Not that he was saying anything. Jiyong, on the other hand, just felt awkward and decided to turn on the radio. Classical music blasted through the radio and he quickly turned down the volume.

"Is this what you listen to? Really?" He asked turning to her

"Uh-huh, it’s relaxing for the mind," she replied, stopping at a red light. She reached for the radio and turned up the volume.

Jiyong looked at her wondering how this girl could get any weirder. He turned down the volume of whatever song that was playing.

"Why did you lower the volume?” Sooyeon asked, still keeping her eyes on the road.

"Because I don’t like classical music," he tried changing the song but then another classical piece came on. He did that a couple of more times, "Is there no other genres in here?"

"No, I don't think there is."

"Are you kidding me?" He muttered and slammed the radio off.

"Hey, be careful with that!" she shot him a serious look.

"Sorry," he slumped into the seat and looked out the window.

Sooyeon saw him looking bored and thought if there were actually other CDs. “I think there might be another cd in the drawer over there if you really want to listen to music."

Jiyong looked at her wondering why she even cares about how he feels. Even as he was thinking that, he straightened up and looked through the drawer. He found a CD and put in the player. This time rather than classical music, Michael Jackson’s “Smooth Criminal” came on. 

“You like Michael Jackson?” Sooyeon asked, keeping her eyes on the road. She didn’t expect Jiyong to like this kind of music; she thought he was more of a dubstep or rock kind of person.

“Yeah, I like a lot of the oldies,” he nodded his head along to the music.

Sooyeon couldn’t help smiling, this was the first time she saw some sort of emotion on his face. She slowed down the car as they reached the parking lot of the airport.  She parked the car and turned to Jiyong, “We’re here.”

He nodded and the two stepped out of the car. “Do you know when the plane lands?”

She turned back to him, “Yup,” she nodded, “I asked my dad right before we left.” She took out her cellphone and read the time, “It should’ve landed by now.”

He nodded once again and the continued to walk towards the airport. They entered and went

"Mom!" Sooyeon yelled and ran straight into her mom's open arms.

"Hi, honey," she said patting Sooyeon’s head then she turned and saw Jiyong standing behind Sooyeon; looking extremely awkward. She let go of Sooyeon and faced him.

"My, who’s this handsome boy?" She looked back at Sooyeon, "Is that your husband to be?" And then back at Jiyong when Sooyeon nodded. "What's your name? I have so many things going on, I can’t remember anything anymore."

"My name is Jiyong. Mrs.…Jung?"

"Just call me Mom, now," she smiled. She turned to her daughter and gave a loving look. “Come on, let’s head home,” she said and Sooyeon nodded.

~~~

Updated Oct. 28, 2013

I am soooo sorry taht i haven't updated in soo long. Its because i have way too much homework that i need to do. I made this chappie a bit longer then the other ones so i hope that add up for it. I will try as hard as i can to update faster ^_^ Oh and thank you to all my subscribers! I really appreciate it =)