The One Condition

The Love Bet

Chapter 1

“This is my, Kwon Sangwoo’s Will…,” read the lawyer, Mr. Park, as he stood at the front of the room while the other members of the Kwon family sat around the table placed in the center. One member of the family, the second oldest, gave the lawyer a blank look; he had zoned out. After realizing what he was doing, he sat up straighter and began to listen.

“I hereby entrust the name of my company to my oldest son, Minho, until Jonghyun becomes of age to take the position of CEO. My saving are to be divided into four parts and given to my four children. I give all my property to my son, Jiyong, under one condition: that he marries the woman I choose for him. I had made a prom-"

Jiyong stared wide eyed at the lawyer who was reading the will of his deceased father. He shook his head trying to convince himself that what he was hearing was wrong; Mr. Park had not just mentioned marriage, had he?

 “-ise to a friend of mine a long time ago and it was that I was to let my son, who is the same age as his daughter, marry her. They live in the town I was born and raised in and I do not intend to break the promise I made. I talked to him and he believes the same as I do. If Jiyong wants this property he must marry this girl and stay married for at least four years. If he chooses to not marry this woman, then he is not allowed access to my finances and he may not reside in any of my estates."

"What is this nonsense?” said Jiyong. He stood up from the chair and ran a hand through his hair; he needed time to process this. The self-proclaimed player was about to get married to a girl he has never met so, yes he would need some time; however, both his late father and lawyer thought otherwise.

 “Wait, sir, it says in the will that you have to leave now or else the condition will not be met.”

 “What kinds of conditions are those?” He groaned, “How can I just leave? And is this even legal? You’re just asking me to get married, this second, with a girl I don’t even know! This is ridiculous!” When he came to this Will hearing he expected his father to tell him that the property was his, just like his dad had said. But, he came and got all this.

“Well you’re never going to get the property that way, you know. Why not just get married? What’s the worst that could happen, really?” said Jonghyun, trying to knock some sense into his older brother. His older brother was a smart guy but sometimes he didn’t seem that way. Although Jonghyun couldn’t really compare, he wasn’t the one getting married to a girl he didn’t know.

“But I don’t want to marry,” whined Jiyong. He didn’t want to spend the rest of his life, or at least four years, with a girl that he may or may not like; however, he was leaning toward the latter.

“Then what are you going to do, huh? Just let this property go to the bank?  Well you can have a good life bro ‘cause I’m not helping you anymore. Grow up! You're supposed to be the older one.” Jonghyun had to lay it hard because that was the only way Jiyong would possibly listen. That being said, Jonghyun left, fore there was no reason to stay in the house any longer. The lawyer already read all of the Will and now the only issue was the one with Jiyong.

“Jiyong, just think about it, it won’t be so bad. Maybe you’ll fall in love and have a very happy life! Maybe you’re soul mates,” said the only girl of the family, Elisa. She clapped her hands and stared into the sky, picturing a beautiful love story blossoming. She loved those sappy romances and dreamed of true love; she hoped her brother could have a novel worthy romance, even if he disagreed with her.

Jiyong ignored what his younger sister said and finally sat down again. He held his head with his hands and started to think rationally once again. He might’ve not wanted to marry, but it was even more important that he had a place to live and money to spend. He ran a hand though his hair and shot a defeated look to Mr. Park. He hoped what he was about to do next was the right choice.

“Alright, when do we leave?” He asked Mr. Park and Jiyong could see that his mouth twitched with a smile.

“This afternoon. Your dad set up everything. All you have to do is go there, do some socializing, get to know the girl and get married.”

Jiyong huffed; Mr. Park said it as if that was so easily done. “How long will this take?”

“Let’s see," Mr. Park paused for a while as he thought about it. "We’ll probably get there by sundown and then the day after that would be for getting to know the parents and other relatives and so I’m guessing about four days by the time we get back.”

“Whatever,” he rubbed a hand along his forehead and taking a deep breath. “I just want to get it over with.” He was about to leave when, once again, he was stopped; this time, however, it was not the lawyer but his older brother.

“Hey, Jiyong, you never know, you might like her so don’t judge her before getting to know her,” said Minho, the oldest of the siblings. The two were really close, and Jiyong almost always listened to what Minho said. He resembled Jiyong the most in personality, because he once was a player too. He eventually found someone he fell in love with, and now they’re married. So when Minho says to give it a chance he knows where it’s coming from.

“Alright, I’ll try my best but honestly I don’t expect myself to fall in love, alright. It totally goes against my image.” He tried to shrug it off. He didn’t want to think about it right now. Not when his reputation of being a no-strings-attached kind of guy was being flushed down the toilet.

“Then don’t uphold your image of being this so-called ‘player’ who has line ups of girlfriends waiting for him.  When the real you is someone totally different. You know that you’re not like that,” Minho said, before shooting Jiyong an accusing look. 

 “I don’t know what I’m like anymore,” mumbled Jiyong, looking everywhere but at Minho. “I’m just going to go pack,” Jiyong got up and left to go to his room.

Minho just shook his head, smiling at the conversation with his brother. They were similar in so many ways that even he couldn’t believe it sometimes. Hopefully, their endings to their stories would end up being similar, as well.

~~~

“The worst moment of my life has finally come and you know what?” Jiyong paused, looking straight at his best friend, “I can’t do a thing about it! I need a house and money but at the same time I don’t want to marry. Why did my dad do this to me? He couldn’t just let me live in peace,” ranted Jiyong to Seunghyun while packing things for the trip.

“Well, your father most likely knew that you would never marry someone so why not bribe you into it?” He was sitting on Jiyong's king sized bed, looking around at the mess that Jiyong had made of his clothes. Seunghyun shook his head slightly as Jiyong paced back and forth.

“You know what; you are an idiot,” Jiyong pointed at him and nodded, “but a correct idiot. I can’t even stand the word marriage, and now I’m getting married.” He turned around and started putting some designer-brand shirts into the suitcase and then throwing them back out. He went to his closet and took out other pieces of clothing.

“It’s not like you have to stay there and live with her,” said Seunghyun, getting up from the bed and cleaning up a bit of the mess that Jiyong had made; the floor of Jiyong’s room was covered in clothing, and knowing Jiyong, it was only going to get worse.

“True, but I might have to bring her back here and that is not a situation I want to be in.” He started to put some jeans into the suitcase.

“But, you could say that you’ll be busy, and that you won’t even be able to take care of her. Say that you’ll come back for her after you’ve settled your work. I don’t know, aren’t you supposed to be the smart one here?” Seunghyun said apathetically, whether Jiyong brought the girl back here or, came back without her didn’t matter to him. He felt slightly bad for the girl though, knowing that she would have to deal with Jiyong.

“Oh, that may not be a bad idea,” agreed Jiyong, while smirking. “Not bad at all.”

~~~

Fri., Feb. 13, 2015: Im back! Hope you like it xD

The first chapter! how is it? It  is kind of short but hopefully its worth reading. I needed this to just open up the story. Jiyong and Jessica will probaby meet in the second or third chapter. Thank you to those who subscribed and commented! It means a lot.

*As of Teusday, Sepetember 16, 2014: I've re-edited this chapter, since I really did not like how it was before. 

Friday, December 26 2014: Re-edited once again xD