Sad,Sorrow and Pain

Immortal Love

[128 years ago]

Year:1885

   War was brewing and life was horrible. It was equally the same for angels. Angels were busy keeping peace among mortals, restoring the land to the way it once was. But it wasn't helping much and the situation only worsens with every passing day. But still, the council needs to maintain the order with the angels. In a matter of time, the council fished out angels who made use of this opportunity to break the most ancient rule. Falling in love with a mortal. More than 15 angels broke the rule. The punishment never did change and it was of course, death for the mortal. Kevin was no different. It wasn't intentional. He was out on his usual strolls until he met this mortal girl and unnoticingly fell in love with her. Despite all that, Kevin had no intention of turning in the mortal girl. He would never do that.

  All those talk about the council taking good care of the mortal's were just plain lies. Once the mortal was in their hands, the only option was death. Kevin knew it and was more than determined to keep her safe from the council. If he turned her over, their time together would only shortened. He wanted to be with her a little longer.

Deep within the woods laid a small cottage. The smoke was rising from the chimney marking it in use.

  "You're going to be fine." Kevin lied to her as he held onto her hand tightly. He didn't want to scare Su Jin. Time was running short. Kevin was afraid but he couldn't let Su Jin know. Su Jin rested on the bed as her life slowly drain away. Su Jin's brown eyes which were always lively and cheerful seemed to be relatively dull today. Kevin couldn't blame her. Her time was ending and it was all because of him. He shouldn't have fallen in love with her, he destroyed her life. Su Jin seemed to read Kevin's thoughts because she squeeze his hand tightly.

 "It's not your fault. I never regreted falling in love with you." Su Jin told him, her voice weak. Kevin looked away shamefully. He didn't dare face her. He was the reason why she was in this bed, dying. 

  "I was the one who destroyed your life. I...I shouldn't have fallen in love with you. We never should have met." Kevin choked on his words.

  "Don't say that, Kevin. I would rather live a day knowing that I've met you rather than a hundered years not knowing you exist." Su Jin said, attempting to smile softly. Kevin still wouldn't face Su Jiin. With trembling hands, Su Jin made Kevin face her. "Can you promise me something, Kevin?" Su Jin asked, her voice getting weaker and weaker with each passing minutes. Kevin nodded quickly. "Take care of yourself. It's not your fault i turn out like this, it's all because of the council. Don't blame yourself for this." Su Jin said.

   "I'm sorry..." Kevin told her quietly. 

   "It's not your fault. It never was." Su Jin said as she smile gently. 

   "I'm sorry...I'm sorry I couldn't protect you better..." Kevin whispered softly, he was close to tears but he couldn't let Su Jin see it. Su Jin didn't reply, instead she smile again before closing her eyes for the last time. Su Jin's hand went limp as her grip on Kevin's hand loosen and parted away. Kevin broke down into tears. The last three words escape his mouth a second too late and Su Jin couldn't hear it one last time. Kevin cried and cried until he didn't know how much time has passed since he sat beside Su Jin's body. 

   Within moments, the angels arrived to pick Su Jin's body. It took them some time to pull Kevin away from Su Jin's body but they managed it in the end. Kevin sat there far longer than he could imagine. He was grim and sad.

    "I warned you. But you wouldn't listen." A voice suddenly said from behind. Kevin turned around to see Yu Han standing there. Yu Han was one of the council members. He used to be a kind a cheerful fellow but because of his tragic end with the mortal girl he use to love so long ago, he changed so much that Kevin didn't even want to know what happen to him. "No good ever happens to those who fall in love with mortals. It will always end tragically and it will stay that way forever. I did this for your own good Kevin. You should be grateful."  Yu Han told him.

     Kevin felt a small lump of burning hot thing welling up inside of him. Something he had never felt before considering how cheerful he always was. Even when Su Jin was cursed with that incurable illness, he never felt like this. It was anger.  But this time it was different, the anger wouldn't go down no matter how much he push it. "You...How could you do that to her!" Kevin shouted. Kevin was devastated and angry.

     "I did that to protect you Kevin." Yu Han said.

     "I love her! I would have done anything for her. I would rather spend a day with her than a thousand years alone. I would have given up immortality just for her!" Kevin shouted loudly. Yu Han shook his head before turning his back at Kevin and walking away. Kevin wanted to hurt Yu Han, to curse him. To let him feel the pain Su Jin experienced. Kevin was ready to strike when his hand seem to lower itself back down. He couldn't do it. It was always this for Kevin. He didn't have the heart to hurt anyone no matter how much they deserved it. He was too weak and fragile. He hated himself for being so soft.

     Kevin left that small little cottage after so long. He wanted to end his life but there was no way he could do it. Angels could not die. They were immortal. Even when they were hurt their body would heal itself. An angel could only die if another angel kill them. But Kevin had died. Not his body nor his life but his soul. Deep inside him, he was dead and rotten. Kevin never did smiled since then.

[128 years later]

Year: 2013

       Ji Yung was running to class, she was late for class, again. The lecture, Mr. Chae, would be furious. It was just the 3rd day of the new semester in college and Ji Yung was already late twice. It wasn't her fault after all. Mr. Chae's class starts at 8a.m. in the morning and was quite a distance from her dorm to the classroom so it would be impossible tfor her not to be late. Books in her hands, she could barely see the road ahead but Ji Yung speed up anyway. Until she bumped into someone else. The books scatter onto the floor and Ji Yung could only sighed loudly.

      Slowly, she started to pick up her books once more until she noticed the person who bumped into her was also doing the same except that he didn't help pick up her book but instead, pick up the book he dropped. Glancing at the black hard-cover book, the title wrote only one word. 'Angels'. Ji Yung didn't think about it much since she thought it was only another fiction storybook all her classmates read these days.

     Quickly, Ji Yung collected her books and looked up at the person just to find herself facing a boy. He was probably the same age as she was and he had brown hair. When he looked up at her, she could see his light brown eyes staring at her. He was good-looking? No, that wasn't the word for him. He looked stunnning, more than perfect. His eyes was suppose to look beautiful but it unsettled her in a different way. He didn't seem hostile, instead he radiated sorrow and bitterness.

      It was pretty hard to see through the emotion since all Ji Yung could see was sorrow. His eyes twinkle with a mysterious light and Ji Yung thought she saw...pain? He felt old. Not 'old' in age but just genuinely 'old'. It was hard to understand the feeling but he looked like he suffered a lot in the past that was more than a million of years ago although Ji Yung found it weird for such a young boy to experience pain from something so long ago.

     Ji Yung apologized quickly but the boy didn't respond, instead he dusted his shirt and got ready to leave when Ji Yung shouted at him to wait. The boy turned his head to face Ji Yung, his face expression still hard to read. Ji Yung didn't know why she shouted at him to wait. Probably because she had never seen him before or just because something got to her head. "I haven't seen you before..." Ji Yung trailed off. A pretty stupid thing to say but it was only logical. Only a student or teacher is allowed in school grounds and if Ji Yung had never seen him before, who could he be. The boy looked surprise at her words but he just shrug and walk away. 

     After class, Ji Yung started to search for the boy she met this morning. It took some time but she found him sitting at a bench by the school field. His leg was crossed as his gaze seemed to be absorb into the book he was holding. Ji Yung crept over and sat beside him which startle him a little. He looked up at her and the momentary surprised look was replace by his grim expression as he turn back to his book, ignoring her totally.

     "I'm sure i haven't seen you before. Mind telling me who you are?" Ji Yung started the conversation. It was so NOT like her to start a conversation with people but curiousity got the better of her this time so she asked. The boy looked up at her and blinked a few times, like he didn't know to answer her or not. But in the end he open his mouth to speak.

    "My name is Kevin." The brown hair boy said.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Feedback and comments are GREATLY appreciated ^^