XXI.

Bind Blind
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter XXI.

Goodnight Goodnight

“Beautiful isn’t it?” Wheeling out Jongin into the garden of the hospital, Kyungsoo smiles as he tightens the scarf around the man’s neck while they gaze at the night sky together, the explosion of stars across the vast space awing them both.

 

Jongin simply nods in return, agreeing to what the older male had stated. He breathes in the warm breeze that the summer evening offers in contrast with his body’s low temperature and waits as the redhead plops himself on the bench situated just beside his wheelchair. Almost like a routine, Kyungsoo immediately grabs Jongin’s hand, intertwining it with his before rubbing circles into the younger male’s palm.

 

“You’re still wearing it hyung?” Although sounding a bit awkward with a hoarse voice, Jongin still speaks, slender fingers reaching out for the necklace place around Kyungsoo’s neck. With eyes forming into shapes of a crescent moon, Jongin tries to blink the tears away while he touches the accessory with much importance.

 

Kyungsoo smiles. “Yeah, of course I still have it. It was given by you after all besides I wouldn’t even think of throwing it away. How about you, where’s your dream catcher?”

 

“I’m wearing it hyung.” Jongin simply says, staring at Kyungsoo with happiness flashing in his brown colored orbs.. Grabbing the pale hands of the tanned male, Kyungsoo brings the man’s fingers against his lips, kissing every tip with so much care and gentleness.

 

“You’re so amazing, you know that?” Kyungsoo softly speaks, unconsciously making Jongin feel more butterflies in his stomach. He pats the head of the latter and the younger doesn’t know what makes him fall more. If it’s the stare, the concern, the captivating voice or just simply everything about Do Kyungsoo.

 

Jongin bites back a sob. “Hyung, are you really willing to stay with me?”

 

“What do you think am I doing Kim Jongin?” Kyungsoo fondly questions back, staring. “Of course I’m staying. I’m sticking on to you forever whether you want it or not.”

 

“But hyung you’ll just get-”

 

“Oh look, a shooting star!”

 

Not wanting to dwell on Jongin’s insecurities once again, Kyungsoo tries to direct their conversation into another topic. He holds the man’s hands in his tightly as if he’s making sure that the other would never have a chance of letting him go and flee away from him. He secures him within a close proximity, the latter responding with a satisfied silence as they treasure the moment together, trying to forget that the world never offered as much as you wanted.

 

Soon, fatigue greets Jongin as his eyes closes and Kyungsoo turns to look at him, a sad smile grazing his features. Standing up, the redhead then wheels Jongin back into his room and watches him while a nurse checks up on his current condition.

 

Thanking the nurse after, he sits on the chair beside Jongin’s bed and stares while the man’s chest continues to heave up and down. He runs his fingers across the man’s locks and kisses his forehead. “Goodnight my Jongin.” He says before he also falls asleep.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

Some days tend to pass by like the breeze of the wind, unnoticeable but occasional. It’s been two weeks since Kyungsoo started staying with Jongin in the hospital and it’s his 14th day just holding the man’s hand, comforting him with soft of his thumb as Minseok, who’s assigned as the tanned male’s nurse, ambushes the man with different medications and injections everytime.

 

Murmurs of “it’ll be fine” and “don’t be afraid,” clashes against the walls of a room that had witnessed far too many tragic stories that sometimes it seems as if these words are just feeble attempts to make one think of death in a lighter manner.

 

Kyungsoo then sniffs, hiding a grimace and only showing it when he finally sees Jongin drift towards unconsciousness.

 

“How much longer?” He asks, not holding back himself.

 

Taemin shrugs. “He’s getting better Kyungsoo, don’t lose hope.”

 

“I’m not looking for a consolation or a comforting lie Taemin. I..ugh, I just want the truth.”

 

“Then there’s no time.” Taemin directly responds, writing on the clip board he has been carrying since he had arrived. He ushers Minseok who rarely even speaks to check on the blood bag that has been connected to Jongin’s frail form to somewhat give him color, a poor excuse to be exact for someone who’s state is as worst as it can get.

 

Kyungsoo bites his lips. “No time?” He croaks out eventually, earning him a nod from Taemin who’s still busy with Minseok in checking all the apparatus plugged into Jongin’s skeletal frame.

 

“How about his sight? When will it fully  disappear?”

 

“A day or two from now. Jongdae will be coming here later to check on his eyes so you can ask him all the other question you have but for now, I’m afraid I’ll be taking my leave.”

 

Finally closing his clipboard, Taemin could only offer the redhead a simple pat on the shoulder. With Minseok walking first towards the door, him following, he turns around as Kyungsoo literally jumps off of his chair besides Jongin’s hospital bed.

 

“Wait!” Kyungsoo states and Taemin stares at him with a quizzical look on his face.

 

“What is it?”

 

“Is..i..s..is there hope?”

 

Not minding the man’s stutter, Taemin tries to be as tactful as he can and smiles just a little.

 

“There’s always hope Kyungsoo, that is, only if you plan to believe.”

 

In a blink of an eye, Taemin and Minseok are out of the room, leaving Kyungsoo to drown in his own thoughts. He walks limply towards Jongin’s bed and the male’s hands in a dazed motion as he feels himself breaking down bit by bit and with his head snuggled into Jongin’s arms, he simply whispers the words, "Don’t drift too much to sleep."

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

Luhan and Sehun arrives with Jieon for their third visit that week. With the younger of the two carrying the little girl in his arms, Luhan is the one tasked to knock onto the hospital door of their sick friend.

 

The greeting is casual with Kyungsoo trying his best to lift the sides of his lips just to appear cheerful in front of little Jieon and fortunately he half succeeds. She pats his head softly after she had been put down by Sehun to be in level with Kyungsoo who crouches to be in the same height as hers.

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter