Virtual Romance

Emergency Call

If love is strong enough, it can survive not only the test of time, but also the test of distance.  
This ties somewhat with another TaengSic story of ours, "The Story of Us: Hidden Feelings", found here: http://www.asianfanfics.com/story/view/524911/hidden-feelings-jessica-oneshot-snsd-taeyeon-taengsic If you haven't already, please check it out! \o/
Happy reading. ^^


 


 

A petite, manicured hand reached under a frilly pastel pink pillowcase and pulled out from under it a screaming smartphone.  A right index finger pressed a code onto the screen and the screeching of the alarm ended abruptly.  A groggy, brassy blonde pushed herself up, heels of her hands rubbing at her eyes.  With a yawn she leaned over the side of her bed and hefted up a laptop and dropped it on her duvet-clothed thighs.  The computer , eyelids falling closed, head drooping back against her propped-up pillow.  Suddenly the girl woke with a start and blinked at the screen before typing in her password.  The code registered with Windows and her desktop—an assortment of pictures of her with her best friend—flashed onto the screen, the brightness burning her retinas.  She clapped a hand over her eyes, waiting a moment before slowly parting her fingers to peek at the screen, her pupils adjusting.  Google Talk had popped up.  She moved her cursor to the box and typed in a long- password and her pinky hit the enter button.  As she waited for her orange and green bubbled chat list to load, Jessica cast her gaze to the time displayed in the bottom right corner of the screen. It was 6:22 AM.  Unknowingly she chewed her bottom lip, willing the chat list to load faster, afraid she might have missed catching Taeyeon before the girl turned in for the night.  It was 10:22 PM in Seoul.  The good thing was that it was a Friday night. Finally the list appeared and there was Kim Taeyeon, name highlighted with a green bubble.  The status: “Calling 1 4 3 <3”

Jessica: *hugs from behind and rests my chin on your shoulder* How was your day?

Taeyeon: *grips your arms and grins* Fine~ c: How was your sleep?

Jessica: Still tired zzzzzzzz.

Taeyeon: :P *turns and your hair and sings softly* Rock-a-bye Sica in Taeyeon’s arms.  Whenever she falls, Taeng will catch her…even though she might get squished underneath, she promises she’ll catch Sica. Lol fail.

Jessica: *grins and gently slaps your wrist* Babo.

Taeyeon: Whaaaaat those lyrics came up suddenly. =w=

The blonde shook her head.  Her girlfriend was such a dork.

Jessica: I love you.

Taeyeon: I love you more. <3

Jessica smiled at the screen of her laptop and Taeyeon smiled at her smartphone, both of them hating that university had torn them apart.  They had survived for nine months in a long-distance relationship, keeping in constant contact largely through IM and video/voice messaging.  And they loved each other more than ever.  But the distance still hurt.  A lot.  They had tried to remedy the situation, but without much success.  Jessica had, on several occasions, suggested that Taeyeon move to the USA.  Taeyeon replied that though she would love nothing more than to do that, the price of university for foreign students was outrageous.  Once, Taeyeon even playfully suggested they get married in the U.S.  Jessica responded saying she missed her.

These reminiscent thoughts were running through Taeyeon’s mind.  Jessica never took her seriously when she was being serious.  Aish.  She supposed that was the penalty for being such a child.  Her phone dinged, snapping Taeyeon back to the chat on her phone.

Jessica: Sing more. TTwTT

Taeyeon’s fingers flew over the screen, an idea forming in her head as she typed.  Maybe Jessica just needed another nudge in the form of a not-so-subtle hint.

Taeyeon: Twinkle twinkle Jessica. How come there ain’t no stars like you?  Your beauty is out of the world.  You’re more precious than diamonds.  Twinkle twinkle Jessica, won’t you say you’ll *mumbles* me.

Jessica’s eyes widened at the message, the corner of her lips twitching. 

Jessica: Marry?

Taeyeon: I didn’t say that~ But if you’re willing to marry me then why not :P

Taeyeon bit her lip, hoping Jessica would take the hint.  A few minutes passed, “Jessica is typing” being the only indicator Jessica had received the message.  Three minutes passed and no message came through.  Taeyeon didn’t know if she should fear for her life that Jessica was taking so long in formulating her response.

On the other side of the world, Jessica stared intently at the screen.  She knew she was oblivious to 90% of Taeyeon’s past hints.  But she was pretty sure she got this one this time.  The prospect of marriage had never really intrigued her…that is, until Taeyeon mentioned it.  The first time Taeyeon had suggested marriage, Jessica thought she was only joking.  But it had got her thinking.  It wouldn’t be that bad.  It would be like being devoted to her best friend for life.  That was pretty cool.  And now Taeyeon had just given her the perfect opportunity to make that happen.  There had been times in the past when Sica had almost lost her girlfriend because of her inability to commit herself.  But she wasn’t going to let that happen this time.  She needed to claim Taeyeon as her own.  And it felt right.

Jessica: *takes your hands in mine, whispering what I have to say* Marry me. *lips press to your temple* Stay committed to me until that moment we can be together.  Let me playfully call you my wife and tend to you as one.  And when we can be together, the proposal will come with a ring.  I love you, Taeyeon.

Taeyeon froze and bit her bottom lip, her face on fire.  She had not been expecting that.  At all.  She leaned back against the wall, tears building in her eyes.  And her lack of response caused Jessica to worry. 

Jessica: *cups your face and gently pecks your forehead* You can say no, but I will still love you.

Not wanting Jessica to get the wrong impression, Taeyeon wiped the tears from her eyes and quickly typed a reply.

Taeyeon: You must be kidding.  My answer is hell to the yes.  *hugs your neck and kisses you softly*

Jessica had never grinned so broadly in her life.  And the pain from smiling had never felt so wonderful. 

Jessica: *smiles and hugs you happily, lips tenderly pressing to yours*

Taeyeon: *grins against your lips and hugs tighter*

Jessica: *whispers “wifey”* I love you, Taeyeon. You just made me the happiest girl in the world! \o/

Jessica was so proud of herself.  She had caught Taeyeon’s hint this time and had capitalized on it.  She smirked smugly.  All the other chasers of her marvelous girlfriend could cry themselves to sleep.  Ha! She was going to marry her best friend.  And Jessica had done something she had never imagined herself doing: proposing.  Albeit, it was virtual, but what could one do when separated by an ocean?  And just as quickly as she started patting herself on the back for her victory, her smile fell.  Could it be she hadn’t caught the hint after all?  She scrolled back through the conversation, her fiancée’s written words burning in her mind.  Twinkle twinkle Jessica, won’t you say you’ll *mumbles* me.  Taeyeon wasn’t hinting at her.  She was freaking proposing!  Jessica could slap herself.  JESSICA, YOU IDIOT, YOU RUINED IT FOR HER!

Taeyeon was still typing her response.  Taeng probably told somebody she got engaged.  Jessica knew her well enough to guess this was the case.  (And she was right.)

Jessica: You were asking me.

“Taeyeon is typing…” disappeared from the chat box for a second and then reappeared.  After a moment her message was delivered to Sica’s laptop.

Taeyeon: =w= Yes, I was asking.  I was hinting, so it wasn’t technically a proposal.

Jessica: Now I feel like I stole it from you. TT_TT If I had realized, I woulda said yes.

Taeyeon: *clears my throat and takes your hand* Jessica Jung Sooyeon.  I’m just gonna type out what’s on my mind now.

Jessica Jung Sooyeon waited, a small smile curving her lips.

Taeyeon: People say that true love is not found by people but is built by people.  We have been through many stages of relationship – strangers, friends, best friends, lovers.  And we have created so many sweet memories in all of those.  Those stages are the witnesses to the growth of our love.  I never thought that I could ask you to be my girlfriend at first because you seemed unreachable.  Now that you’re my girlfriend, I want to ask you one more question.  Will you marry me?

Jessica: *grins, tears building in my eyes* Yes.

Taeyeon: *grins and cups your face, caressing your cheeks with my thumbs*

Jessica: *mouths “I love you”*

Taeyeon: I love you more. *grins and pecks your nose*

Jessica: *nuzzles against your cheek* So are we engaged or engaged to be engaged?

Taeyeon: The latter. *grins* I want to propose to you for real when we’re together.

Jessica: *grins* Either way, we’re engaged.

Taeyeon: I somehow wish my height can be like my love for you.  I want to grow a bit every day lol.

Jessica: Your height is perfect.  Your heart is big enough for that growing love. *pecks your forehead and cups your face* You are perfect to me.  All of you.  And we’ll be together soon. <3

Taeyeon: And you’re perfect to me~ *curls up against you, resting my head on your shoulder* You have university soon. :P

Jessica’s eyes widened after seeing the time projected by the laptop screen.  She was running behind now.

Jessica: Damn. TT_TT * your hair* Sleep well, Taeng.  I love you.  Thank you for loving me too.

Taeyeon: Have a good day, wifey. o// I love you.

Jessica’s green bubble turned to grey.  But her arms hugged the screen of her laptop, a smile plastered on her face.  Somewhere in Seoul, a smiling brunette named Kim Taeyeon hugged her phone to sleep.