Emergency Call

Emergency Call

 

 

It was almost three o’clock in the morning and the lights in the Soshi dorm were off.  In the living room, the light of a television flickered and a caramel brunette, bangs side-swept to reveal a furrowed left eyebrow, stared at the credits of white names scrolling up the flat plasma screen.  She sat on the sofa with her knees pulled up under her chin, eyes in a glaze.  Taeyeon sat on the opposite side of the sofa, laptop on her lap.  She was updating her Instagram with photos of Ginger.  A sniff drew her attention and her eyes flicked over to Jessica.

“That movie was really cute,” Jessica whispered, picking up the remote and changing channels.

“Mhm.”  Taeyeon’s eyes found the laptop once more.

“Wouldn’t it be nice to be in a romance like that?”

“The proposal was kinda cheesy.”

Jessica rolled her eyes.  “Like you’re not.”  She flipped through some more channels.  “He really loved her, and the thought he put into it….  She’s lucky.”

A small smile played on Taeng’s lips as she closed the laptop and set it down next to her.  The ceasing of clicking keys drew Jessica’s attention to the older girl.  “What are you thinking about?”

There was a slight moment’s hesitation before Taeyeon offered with a smile, “You dating the sweetest guy who courts you in only the sweetest way.”

Jessica pretended to arch an invisible arrow toward the ceiling and let it fly.  She puffed her cheeks and then bopped them, creating a popping sound.

“Did you just shoot down my idea?” Taeyeon asked with a hint of amusement in her tone, pretending to watch her idea drift to the floor.  She stared at the carpet and lifted up an invisible bundle, nurturing it.

“Yep.  All guys are s and I’m done with them.  I’d rather die alone than suffer the rest of my life with one of them.”

Taeyeon’s eyebrows shot up at this announcement and her eyes flew back to the girl who was glowering at the television.  “Nuuu~ you're too nice to die alone and you are so beautiful that you give the sun a reason to shine.”

Having been taken off guard by the unexpected sweetness of the comment and the rare display of aegyo in Taeyeon’s voice, Jessica turned away for a second to make her blush subside.  “Fine,” she offered up, running her fingers through her bangs, “I’ll die with my 99 cats.”

“Aish.”  Taeyeon scooted closer and laced her arms around the girl in a loose hug.  “Don't dieeee…  I need someone to keep my dorkiness in check.”

“You’re so selfish,” Jessica chuckled softly, returning the hug.  “But seriously, why are you awake?”

“Insomnia.  I'm pretty much like an owl now. What’s your excuse?”

Jessica shrugged.

“Well…”  Taeyeon stretched her arms high above her head as she yawned.  “I should go to bed now.”  She offered a quick peck to Jessica’s temple.  “I hope your morning is as radiant as your smile.”

Jessica’s left eyebrow arched as she fought to hold back a smile.  “God, you’re so cheesy.”

“I am cheesy!” Taeyeon exclaimed with a grin.  “Oh!”  She reached into her pocket and removed her cellphone.  Apparently she had it on vibrate.  It was held up to her ear.  “Hello?  Uh-huh…yeah...”  She looked over at Jessica, then looked to the floor.  “She’s here…yeah…okay, you got it, Sir.”  She hung up and placed the phone back in her pocket.

“Who the hell was that?”

“I just got an emergency call from God saying he's missing an angel so I told him you're here with me.”

The smile could be suppressed no longer.  Realizing Taeyeon was trying to give her that perfect romance, Jessica blushed and placed her forehead to the girl’s shoulder.  “What did He say?” she asked in a whisper.

“He said okay, just as long as you don't die alone or He'll kill me.”  Taeyeon giggled this as she her fingers through Jessica’s hair.

A snort was offered in response.  “So it’s your fault if I die alone?”

“Nope, He wants me to accompany you so we'll be a perfect couple made in heaven.”

“I guess that works out for both of us.  You get to keep your dorkiness in check and I don’t have to die overrun with cats.”  Jessica pulled away, smiling softly.  “Good night, Taengoo.”  She left her with a soft peck on the forehead.

Before crawling into bed, Jessica checked the Instagram updates on her phone.  There were a bunch from Taeng.  She smiled softly and began looking through them—her smile developing into a grin as she saw a picture of her taken from behind, chin on her hand, eyes locked on the television.  The picture had been taken that night, and the caption read, “Watching movies with an angel. \o/”  Her phone was turned off and set atop the nightstand.  She closed her eyes, Taeyeon in her mind.  Thank you for this beautiful beginning.