What was Lost

Emergency Call

 

 

On a typical Saturday evening, she would have heard from Taeyeon by now.  But the clock was ticking six chimes.  And there had been no call.  No text.  No Taeyeon.  Jessica grabbed her car keys.

Taeyeon’s car was in the drive.  Her lights were on.  Odd.

The headlights of Jessica’s white BMW flashed and the vehicle gave a small toot, ensuring her it had locked.  One, two, three knocks she delivered to the door.  Five seconds she waited.  Her ear pressed to the door and there was the sound of a television.  But no Taeyeon.  She held down the doorbell.  She held it down until the door creaked open and a red-eyed Taeyeon looked up into the face of the brunette. Jessica’s hand fell to her side, worry replacing morbid curiosity.  “Taeyeon-ah, what the hell is wrong?”  She forced herself inside, immediately enveloping her friend in a tight embrace.

“Nothing.”

Jessica’s eyes flicked around the room.  Amber beer bottles scattered around the room.  Untidy blankets tossed on the sofa.  Taeyeon’s disheveled hair.

“Nothing results from something,” Jessica voiced, releasing Taeyeon to start to pick up the rubbish, tidying the room.  Something she hated doing.  But it was a substitute for fixing Taeyeon’s emotions.  She scowled and gingerly removed a balled up sock protruding from under the couch skirt and her eyes found Taeyeon’s feet, one clothed and one .  “Aigoo, what happened?”  Taeyeon slowly shuffled along behind as Jessica held the sock an arm’s length away from her.  It was deposited in the wash.  She let out a little squeal at the build-up of laundry that toppled on her head from the overhead rack when she slammed shut the washer.  “Seriously, Taengoo,” Jessica whined, peeking at her friend between sky blue sweat pant legs, “what’s bothering you?”

Taeyeon’s eyes found the floor and Jessica pushed the clothes off her shoulder and onto the tile before fixing her bangs.  “At least let me help you.”  Still the girl remained quiet and Jessica sighed, shaking her head and stepping from the room to investigate the rest of the house.  Her hand was gripped and she stopped to turn around and study her friend. 

“I want to see the stars.”

Jessica took a seat on the swinging bench, waiting for Taeyeon to join her in the backyard.  The girl finally stumbled out and took a tumble on the grass, her hands on her chest, eyes on the sky.  She gripped a fresh pair of clean, white socks in her hand.

Sica slid from her seat and slowly approached her friend before kneeling beside her, silently taking the socks and pulling them onto Taeyeon’s feet.

“What are you doing?”

“Your feet are going to freeze,” Jessica whispered softly as she pulled on the second sock.  She then leaned back until soft blades of grass caressed her cheekbones.  She closed her eyes, enjoying the way the nighttime breeze gently at her hair.

“My mom and I would do this every night.”

“Really?”

“Yeah,” Taeyeon responded hoarsely, a faint smile tugging at her lips.

Jessica cracked an eyelid and looked over to see Taeyeon wiping at her eyes with the back of her hand.  “I’m sorry…”

Taeyeon shook her head.  Her mom had passed away two years ago.  But it still hurt.  She had lost her best friend.

Jessica reached over and gripped Taeyeon’s hand, her thumb against the back of it.  “Hold on to the good memories.  But don’t be afraid to make new ones.  She’d want you happy.”

Taeyeon grimaced.  Jessica was so dense sometimes.

“Today’s the anniversary.”

Jessica gripped the hand in hers a little tighter. “So what would you guys do when stargazing?”

“Just…stare at the stars.  Think.”

“You never wished upon a star?”

“No, I’m not that childish.”

“Well, I have.”  Jessica pointed up to the sky with her free hand.  “I’ve also made my own constellations.  See those four?  They make a diamond.”

Taeyeon narrowed her eyes, peering into the sky.  “I don’t see it.”

“Then what do you see?”

There was silence for a second before she replied, “A kite.”

Jessica pointed to another set of stars.  “A crown.”

“A bird.”

Jessica laughed.  “That’s a crown, babo.”

“Bird!”

“Crown!”

“IT’S A BIRD!” Taeyeon hollered as she jumped Jessica, wrestling with her and rolling across the grass.

“Ewwww.”  Jessica brushed her hair off her face once she had crawled free.  Taeyeon’s giggle made her smile, though.  They fell back and studied the stars some more. 

The sound of chattering teeth broke Sica’s gaze.  Taeyeon was lying in the grass, hugging herself.  Jessica sat up again and removed her brown leather jacket, lying it over her friend.  Taeyeon cuddled into its warmth, her eyes locked on the silhouette of the girl at her side. She was smiling up at the sky, one arm under her head, the other at her side as her fingers the blades.  “What are you doing?”

“Wishing on a star.  You should try it.”

Taeyeon rolled her eyes and glanced back up at the diamonds splayed across the black velvet of the sky.  One in particular glowed rather brightly.  She wanted that star.  Maybe it was hers.  It reminded her of her mom’s smile.  Mom…help me.  Please. Give me back what was lost…

Jessica stared intently at her diamond.  Which actually did look like a kite.  And a little like a heart, somehow.  She bit her tongue at the wish that popped into her head.  It was so stupid.  But she wished it every time, and she couldn’t help but think it.  Bring us together. Thank you. Smiling at the absurd thought of she and Taeyeon being a couple, her eyes closed once more.  The breeze bit at her cheeks.  And she liked it.

Jessica had been still for so long that Taeyeon finally cast her gaze to her side.  And there was Jessica, the sleeping princess.  Taeyeon scooted closer and peered down into her face.  She looked so peaceful.  But shouldn’t she be cold?  She had given up her jacket.  And her lips looked so tight. Come to think of it, her own lips were cold. She had the sudden urge to kiss her.  But that would be wrong.  They were just friends.  Or that’s what they called themselves.  But Jessica was…different.  More lovable than a friend.  She always held a fondness for her.  Would one kiss hurt their relationship?  And Jessica was sleeping… Something taking over her, Taeyeon leaned down, her lips brushing those of the sleeping beauty.  It was to her shock when arms wrapped around her and held her closer, Jessica’s lips working against hers.  Jessica was awake?! And was…kissing her back. When their lips parted, their foreheads met.

Jessica didn’t ask why Taeyeon kissed her.

Taeyeon didn’t ask why Jessica kissed her back.

They knew.

“What does this mean?” Taeyeon whispered against Jessica’s lips, thoroughly enjoying the heat residing in her face and in her heart.

“I think it means,” Jessica replied with a soft smile, “that our wishes have been answered.”

 

 


Inspired by xStitch. May all your wishes come true. Happy eleven months of friendship. 
Thanks for reading.
--xXBlackWidowXx