Magic 8

Emergency Call

 

 

Kim Taeyeon stood on her tip-toes, waving a feather duster at the top of the book shelf, dust particles floating in the air.  She coughed and wheezed as dust went up her nostrils.  “Geez,” she grumbled.  She hated cleaning day—or rather, the day she had to clean—and she wondered how one lazy Jessica Jung Sooyeon was faring keeping house on her own.  Her mind drifted as she cleaned.  Jessica Jung Sooyeon had moved back to California to pursue a career in American film while attending university.  Taeyeon didn’t realize how much she would miss the girl until she was gone.  There was no longer anyone to tease with cucumbers.  There was one less person spouting off sarcastic remarks.  She missed the left eyebrow that would arch in response to one of her cheesy jokes.  And that small smile that would always accompany the eyebrow arch.

Taeyeon looked down at the cluttered top of the dresser she had begun to clean.  Sighing, she began removing items from it one by one.  Her hands cupped a Magic 8 ball and she made to set it on the floor, until an idea struck her.  Hmm…  She turned it over in her hands before casting her eyes around the room to make sure no one was watching.  The coast clear, she closed her eyes, deep in concentration.  “Does she love me?” she asked the ball.  She opened her eyes and turned the ball over, nearly squealing in delight at the answer: Absolutely.

Hmm…

“Will I get to see her again?” Prospect good.

She had always scoffed at the thought of a magic 8 ball predicting her future, but today she was starting to hope it was right.

She felt herself flush and her heart beat a little quicker as she asked the next question.  “Will we ever be more than friends?” Focus and ask again.

Taeyeon shook her head clear and focused her attention, waiting to repeat the question until her nerves calmed.  She inhaled deeply and asked again.  “Will we ever be more than friends?”  Don’t bet on it.

Taeyeon frowned.  “Stupid orb.  Never believed in you anyway.”  She bent down to place it on the ground, then slowly straightened out, orb still in her hands.   “Am I the greatest love of her life?” she asked quietly.  Slowly she turned the ball over.  No doubt about it.

Taeyeon’s frown flipped into a wide grin.  Her mind was starting to run wild thinking of everything they could do together as a couple.  They could watch movies and cuddle, even kiss….or…. “Will we have a byun moment?” Looks like yes.

Taeyeon’s eyes widened and she started to regret that question as her imagination began to create visuals she wasn’t ready to see.

“Tae-Tae?”

Taeyeon pivoted and saw Jessica standing in the bedroom doorway, luggage hanging from her fingertips.  The shorter girl blinked at her, not sure what just happened.  Her eyes then went back to the orb as she recalled its answer to her inquiry of ever seeing Jessica again.  Was this a dream or reality?

“Tae-Tae…” Jessica whined, stomping the ground with her foot.  “Aren’t you glad to see me?!”

Taeyeon nodded vigorously, setting down the orb and skipping over to the girl to embrace her in a hug.  “What are you doing here?” she asked with a huge grin plastered on her face.

“Well, duh, I came for your birthday, of course,” Jessica answered with a wink as Taeyeon broke the hug.  “Wouldn’t miss it for the world.  Now help me with this luggage.”  Jessica shoved it into Taeyeon’s chest.  As the older girl lugged it to the closet, Jessica peeked at the orb and saw the answer Looks like yes still floating in the purple liquid.  “What question did you ask, Tae-Tae?” Jessica inquired in her nasally, teasing tone.

“What?” Taeyeon huffed as she hefted the luggage into the closet and shut the door.

“The Magic 8 ball.  What question did you ask?”  She grinned as the growing red in Taeyeon’s face hinted that the inquiry of the supernatural ball was embarrassing.  “Oh Taeng, you amuse me.”  She pecked Taeyeon’s temple and then unexpectedly smacked her , then sashayed from the room, leaving Taeyeon questioning the power of the 8 ball…and her desire for Jessica.