Paint a Reverie

Emergency Call

 

 

Ripples broke the stillness of the water, a flat grey pebble bouncing across the elastic surface before sinking into a watery grave.

Two fists skyrocketed into the air, a wide victorious smile flashing on the young face of a teenage girl standing on the bank of the river. “Did you see how far that went, Sica?” the female asked excitedly, turning around to beam proudly at her long-time best friend.

Jessica Jung peeked up from under the cover of her bangs and squinted at the waterfront, studying the red sun reflecting off of the ebbing surface.

“It skipped five times!” Taeyeon cheered, realizing her friend had missed the spectacle.

“Do it again,” the brunette commanded, hugging her shins as her chin found a resting spot atop her knees.

Determined to earn an awe of admiration from the apathetic girl, Taeyeon crouched down and searched in the rock bank before plucking a nice flat stone.  She straightened out and squared her shoulders, casting a look behind her to make sure Jessica had not drifted off into another reverie. Finding that the woman was staring in the direction of the water, Taeyeon retracted her arm, tightening the muscles like a rubber band. With one quick motion the arm snapped and the pebble assaulted the surface a good seven times before being below the surface.

Grinning triumphantly, Taeyeon wiped her palms on the denim of her faded shorts and smugly turned around to smirk at her friend. “I bet you can’t beat me.”

Silently Jessica accepted the challenge, lazily pushing herself up and sashaying toward the pile of gravel. She reached down and chose one at random before throwing it carelessly into the water. It sunk immediately.

“What the hell was that?” Taeyeon squawked. “Sica, use a flat pebble, like this,” she instructed, carefully selecting one from beneath her feet. “And then try to toss it sideways and as straight as possible, like so.”

Jessica watched with her hands on her hips, thinking it was cute Taeyeon thought she would actually acquire the skill with just one lesson.

 

Tonight there were no ripples on the water. She had watched the sun set on the horizon and the sky purpled. Lightening bugs had begun their nightly dance. Sighing, Jessica pushed herself up from the well-worn spot in the grass and trudged up the hilly incline toward her car.

 

Taeyeon’s eyes focused beyond Jessica and a smile crept onto her face.  “Do you believe in destiny?”

“Not really. Why?”

“Well, I see a lightening bug. You know what that means?”

Jessica blinked, wondering why her friend would ask such an impertinent question. “It probably means we are by the water, that there is damp vegetation, and therefore there is also a high possibility for mosquitos to be out.”

Taeyeon scrunched her nose. Sometimes Jessica could be so dense. “Babo. It means that there is love in the air.”

“What?” Though she spoke with a flat affect, the quizzical arch of her left eyebrow alerted Taeyeon that she had caught the attention of the quiet girl.

“Fireflies are the insects of romance.”

“You’re an idiot.”

“No, really. Just catch a few of them in a jar, set them in the middle of a picnic blanket, and crack open a bottle of wine with the star of your dreams and viola, a perfect first date.”

“I think you’re lonely.”

“Cheesy, yes,” Taeyeon replied as she sauntered over to the tree overlooking the lake, its branches stretching across the sky, reaching for the retreating sun. She ducked behind it for a few seconds before emerging with a blanket and picnic basket, setting them up on the ground at the feet of a surprised Jessica. Taeyeon pulled a glass jar from the basket and began unscrewing the cap. “But I’m never lonely when I’m in your presence.” With a grin she was up on her feet, running around gathering up little floating lights.

Bewildered, Jessica sank to her knees, peeking into the basket to find a bottle of red wine and breadsticks.

Taeyeon sat cross-legged across from her, setting the jar between them. She cracked open the bottle of wine and poured it into two wine glasses, handing Jessica the first one to be filled. “Sica, I gotta tell you something.” Even bald and frail, Taeyeon was beautiful.

Jessica sipped at the alcohol, feeling the heat in her face rise. “What’s that, Taeyeon?”

“I love you.”

 

Dust drifted up from the ground, filling the glass of the rearview mirrors of the white BMW coursing down the country road leading from the lake to the city. Jessica fumbled with the radio dial before settling on the coffeehouse station, her ears focused on the lyrics of Norah Jones’ “Painter Song”.

Three years had passed and Jessica’s rock skipping had improved little to none. But every time she visited the lake, she had to try – Taeyeon was challenging her. And every time she failed, she could hear Taeyeon’s laugh.

If I were a painter,
I would paint my reverie,
if that’s the only way
for you to be with me.

We’d be there together
just like we used to be
underneath the swirling skies
for all to see.

A tear rolled down her cheek and she wiped it away. She hit the steering wheel, a sudden burst of anger shooting through her spine. She couldn’t go anywhere or do anything without Taeyeon taunting her in some sort of way.

And I’m dreaming of a place
where I could see your face,
And I think my brush would
take me there….

“Damn you, Taeyeon,” Jessica cursed under her breath, furiously wiping at another mascara tear.

But only if I were a painter,
and could paint a memory,

Memories hurt – even the good ones.

A few moments later Jessica parked her car and stepped out of the driver’s seat, softly shutting her door before walking around her car and onto a plain of grass. She walked without looking up, the path familiar to her. She came to a stop automatically at a headstone resting beneath an oak and reached into her coat pocket, removing from it a small jar containing some glowing specimens. Smiling softly to herself, she set it in front of the stone. “Taeyeon, wait for me up there. I plan on us having many more dates.” Jessica leaned back against the trunk of the tree, staring up at the darkening sky. “I’d climb inside the skies to be with you…”

 


So a recent breakup I just suffered through helped me write this (fortunately we realized we can't live without each other so it's getting better owo).
Je t'aime, Je t'aime, mon amour.
--xXBlackWidowXx