Chapter Nine

Misunderstandings

While cleaning tables Jonghyun would actively look into the kitchen and watch Key cook. He never thought that cooking could be considered graceful, but that's what Key was. He fluttered around the kitchen, ingredients in one hand and smiles for everyone. He worked with a quiet determination that Jonghyun admired from all around the restaurant. 

Every so often their eyes would meet and Key would smile at Jonghyun. Soo Hyun and Junho had show up to help to spent a majority of their time teasing Jonghyun for his 'crush' as they called it. He hadn't explained much to them except that they would be busing tables at an up and coming restaurant. When they saw Key wave from the kitchen, Soo Hyun had given Jonghyun a knowing smile and a pat on the back. 

"He's hot, hyung." Was all that he said before putting an apron on and getting to work. 

Jonghyun and the guys worked diligently, cleaning tables and getting drinks for customers when the waiters asked them too. He thought it was funny that he had never waited tables before, yet people took to him fast, sharing too much information too quickly. After he brought a woman a water, she informed him of her marital problems which were rooted in the lack of she was having with her husband. 

As the time went by, Jonghyun found himself actively looking for Key in the kitchen. While he tried to keep in mind that Key was unavailable, and that he was not a real bus boy, he couldn't help but seek a look of approval from Key. Though he couldn't believe he had fallen for Key's flirting, he had to admit that he liked having him so close. 

He was unsure whether he was picking up nonexistent signals from Key or if they were really there. When he winked at Key while being instructed he had done so to be playful, but Key had winked back. Jonghyun hadn't expected that. 

Maybe Key was willing to have an affair. Even though Jonghyun had never been with anyone long enough to cheat on them, he figured that people did it all the time. He wondered more and more about the type of relationship that Key had. Maybe his boyfriend wasn't romantic anymore. Maybe his boyfriend was distant. Maybe his boyfriend didn't treat him the way he wanted to be treated. Maybe they weren't having . Jonghyun thought of a million reasons for the wink, but couldn't decide on a plausible one. 

One look at Key's face, and he knew that someone couldn't depreciate him. His smiles were so sweet, someone had to be putting them there. And there was no way in hell someone could not have with Key. The sway of his hips was more than enough to lure someone. He could only imagine what he looked like when he was intentionally y. 

On second thought, he shouldn't imagine that. Nope, definitely not while attempting to clean tables in Key's restaurant, maybe later when he was alone. That was definitely a better alternative. Jonghyun began to focus on what he could ask of Key. He said that he would collect at the end of two hours, but he hadn't really thought of anything yet. 

Soo Hyun and Junho were also pretty proficient at cleaning tables. He had called Soo Hyun on a whim, not wanting to clean tables by himself. The leader had been more than happy to help his hyung, especially after offering him 100,000 won for the two who helped. He'd brought Junho because he had actually waited tables before being a trainee.  

While Soo Hyun was strong and swift, Junho interacted well with the customers. Smiling at customers and maneuvering around the place like he had been there a million times. 

"Its easy," Junho explained during a moment of rest.

"There are too many kids for this time of day," Soo Hyun complained. "Why aren't they in school? They make a mess."

"Seriously, Soo Hyun. Calm down. Kids are the best ones. When they look at you with their little smiling faces, It makes it okay." Junho answered gushing. 

"Baby fever much?" Soo Hyun teased. 

"Whatever. I just miss my nieces and nephews. They are so excited that they are going to see me on TV!"

"Well my girlfr- uh. Friend. Yeah she's gonna watch me," Soo Hyun corrected himself, knowing that they were prohibited from dating during their debut. 

"I didn't hear anything!" Jonghyun exclaimed, walking away. Those kids were kind of cute. 

~~~~~

As the lunch rush died down, Key felt a hint of nerves. Having watched Jonghyun for a solid two hours, he was anxiously awaiting the request he would receive. He was preparing himself for the wild things that were sure to come about.

'Maybe he'll ask me to go home with him, or ask me on a date,' Key thought to himself while preparing food for his temporary bus boys. He was taking the liberty to make them the restaurant's most popular dishes for them to choose from. To be honest he was cooking as a distraction, not paying careful attention to the plating of the dishes as he usually would. 

Key wasn't sure if Jonghyun's two helpers, whose names he did not know, would be staying to eat at the restaurant. They closed at three, when Danny got out of day care, and reopened at six, but he could stick around if they wanted to eat there. Anticipating that they would, he decided to call in a favor. 

He pulled out his phone and called Woo Hyun and stepped out of the kitchen. 

"Namstar speaking, how may I assist you?" Woo Hyun answered the phone. Key knew that he could ask him for a favor since he had the most flexible schedule out of his friends. Being a scriptwriter for dramas meant that he made his own hours. 

"Hey Woo, can you do me a huge favor?" Key asked, heading towards the back room. 

"Uh, maybe. How huge is it? Is it come over and kill a spider huge, or help you bury a dead body huge? Because you're on your own with a spider, but I do know the perfect place to get rid of unwanted evidence."

Key laughed, the answer being characteristic of their friendship. "I need you to pick up Danny from day care. Some guys came to give me a hand because my bus boys decided to call in sick today, and I'm gonna feed them. I don't think I'll have time to go get Danny and you're already registered with the school." Key explained everything quickly, knowing that Woo Hyun would ask for the details anyway. 

"Ooh, how exactly did they help you? Did they help you relieve stress?" Key could picture Woo Hyun waggling his eyebrows. He was also another person who continuously told him to go out and get laid. 

"No, Nam Woo Hyun. I don't just hop into bed with strangers, unlike you." Key answered, though not maliciously. He loved Woo Hyun, but he was kind of a . 

"Alright, alright. Yeah, I can pick up Danny. Do you want me to bring him to the restaurant later on?" 

"Yes please." Key answered. Danny had his own coloring center in the manager's office of the restaurant. Everyone loved Danny because he was so well behaved, and that meant that Key could keep him nearby while he worked. 

"I hope you know, I expect food as a form of payment! I'll get Danny to the cafe around six. Love you!" Woo Hyun confirmed. 

"Love you too." Key answered, hanging up. He turned to walk back towards the kitchen, when he saw one of Jonghyun's helpers looking at him with a puzzled look on his face. 

"Um, Hi. Thank you for helping out today! I'm Key!" Key said quickly, trying to avoid an awkward situation. 

"I'm Soo Hyun," was all the boy answered. 

"Are you guys hungry? I'm making some of the restaurant's more popular dishes for you guys!" Key said cheerfully. 

"Okay." the boy said, turning away. Key sighed, not really sure why the boy was so awkward with him. He looked up to see Soo Hyun looking at him intently.

"Is there something wrong?" Key asked softly.

"I thought you were dating Jonghyun hyung." he declared. 

"Uh, no. We just have some mutual friends," Key answered shyly. Had Jonghyun told them that they were dating? Is that why they had come?

"Oh. Okay." the boy replied and walked away.

, Key thought. Should I have said that I liked him? Ugh, now what. He worried as he went back into the kitchen where Jonghyun was waiting for him with a smile on his face. 

"Hey, I made you guys some food," Key said enthusiastically, shaking the awkward conversation with Soo Hyun. 

"This is not what you owe me," Jonghyun teased. 

"I know, but I thought I should feed you guys, at least."

"The guys will take their food to go, and if its not too much to ask, could you put in enough to feed the team? They'll be jealous if only Soo Hyun and Junho get delicious food."

"Yeah, sure. I made more than enough," Key answered getting together to-go carriers. "So what is the 'one' that I'm going to owe you?"

"I want you to eat with me." Jonghyun answered, smiling. 

"That's it?" Key asked, a little deflated. He totally hadn't wanted Jonghyun to ask him to go out on a date. Or .. more suggestive things. 

"Yep," Jonghyun answered. 

"Well we close right now at 3 and don't reopen till 6. We can go get something to eat then."

"No," Jonghyun answered. "I want you to cook me something that's not on the menu."

"Okay," Key handed over the food he had packed into to-go boxes. They headed out of the kitchen together, to find Soo Hyun and Junho having a drink at the waiter's station with Nicole. The rest of the waiters were attending to the last of their tables. 

Junho bowed politely, looking at Soo Hyun until he did so as well. 

"Here you go, guys. Jonghyun told me to pack enough food for seven." Key smiled. "I'm Key by the way. Thanks for helping out today!"

"No problem," Junho answered. "It was kind of fun!"

"Well, you'll be on your way then," Jonghyun interrupted any further conversation. 

"Thank you," Junho said, bowing farewell. 

"Bye," Key waved. 

"Well, I'm gonna go help the waiters," Nicole said, leaving Key and Jonghyun alone at the waiter's station. 

"Do you want me to help?" Jonghyun asked Key. 

~~~~~

Jonghyun had felt the awkward atmosphere between Soo Hyun and Key, but had decided not to discuss it until he could get them alone. 

He had decided to get Key to cook for him as a way to see him in his element. He totally hadn't thought of the fact that they could be alone for three hours while the restaurant closed. 

Nothing suggestive was running through his mind at all. 

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

A/N: I feel like I'm always super late with updating!

I will update again later today! I think. 

The next chapter may or may not have a hint of . But I'm scared that I at writing it, so I don't know. =/

I'm gonna skip the song and all because I am in Starbucks and I need to leave! Haha.

 

Thanks for reading! Please subscribe! Love you guys! <3