Chapter Twenty Eight

Misunderstandings

Jonghyun walked back to his seat, feeling oddly empty without Key sitting next to him. To say that he was itching to join him in checking on Danny would have been the understatement of the century. He had decided to respect his boyfriend’s wishes begrudgingly, due mainly to the fact that Minho had sent him a text message assuring him that both Taemin and Danny were stable, and because he was sure that Key wanted some time with Danny. 

 

Although they were a trio most of the time, with Danny hanging out with the couple more often than not, he had to respect when the other two were a duo. No matter how much he hated it. And he REALLY hated it. While it was too absurd to say aloud, Jonghyun hated every moment that he was away from Key and Danny. He hated not waking up near them, he hated not having breakfast with them every morning, he hated not going with Key to pick up Danny from school. It basically boiled down to the fact that he loved them so much that it was difficult to make his way home, literally every time he had to leave. 

 

Respecting the duo was what kept Jonghyun rooted in his seat. He wasn’t even nervous about the award anymore, worries for Danny and Taemin filling his mind. Minho would have called if it was anything truly serious, he told himself. They wouldn’t just leave him in the dark, he was sure of it. 

 

He wondered about the circumstances which led to them being hospitalized, hoping that Minho had been overzealous in his message due to his worry. 

 

As categories and winners went on being announced, Jonghyun honestly just wanted the show to be over. If a camera had spotted him waiting, it would have caught him chewing on his nails vigorously. While it could most likely pass for nerves at his nomination, it definitely would have been attributed to his anxiousness to get the hell out of the venue. As much as Jonghyun would have liked to think he had a chance at winning, it was also his first time being nominated, so he didn’t really see a possibility. 

 

That’s exactly why when his category was announced, he felt a calm overtake him. Just a few more minutes and he could leave, a couple more minutes and he could make his way to Key and Danny. Knowing for sure that the camera would look for him in the audience, Jonghyun made as passive, pleasant face as he could and clapped politely. 

 

The presenters complemented each of the nominees, singing their praises, and Jonghyun grew more impatient. While he admired all those nominated, a short acceptance speech was in his way of being where he wanted to be. 

 

As the laws of the world go, Jonghyun was caught completely off guard by the fact that his name was announced as the winner. His jaw fell open as he processed the words that rang untrue to his ears. It wasn’t until his colleagues around him pushed him to his feet, did he realize that he had to make his way to the front. By nothing short of a miracle, Jonghyun made his way to the stage without tripping over anything or generally making a fool out of himself.  

 

He made his way up the stairs of the stage, and tried to gracefully take the award from the presenter’s hands. That was pretty much shot to because he hadn’t anticipated the weight of the award and nearly dropped it, to which the audience softly chuckled. 

 

“Wow, um. Wow.” Jonghyun began his speech eloquently and with a chuckle. “I honestly didn’t think I would be standing up here tonight, so please forgive me if my speech is a bit scattered.”

 

He was relieved to hear the audience laugh at his lame attempt at putting himself together. 

 

“I’d like to thank SME for giving me an opportunity to write music and believing in my talent. Thanks to Fly High for working their butts off and making my work come to life on stage. A huge thanks to my parents for allowing me to ‘throw away my life’ and pursue music,” he said, including the finger quotes. “To my friends who’ve always been there for me, even when they don’t want to be. That means you Minho and Taemin.” 

 

Jonghyun saw a red light begin flashing atop of the camera that he was directing himself to. Almost at a panic, there was one more thing he wanted to say. “Lastly, I’d like to dedicate this award to the love of my life, Kibum, who words will always fail to describe, and our amazing son, Danny, who makes me want to write a thousand songs with all the things I want to share with him. You guys give me more encouragement and love than I ever thought I deserved and I promise to spend the rest of my life trying to show you exactly how much I appreciate it. Thank you so much,” he ended his speech with a long ninety degree bow, gratitude flowing through his veins. 

 

Although completely impromptu, his speech made Jonghyun realize exactly how lucky was to have so many amazing people in his life. Still in a daze, Jonghyun let himself be guided to the backstage area where his picture was taken and he gave back the dummy award. He was told that he would be receiving his engraved award within the following week, but all he heard was permission to leave. 

 

He didn’t make it back to the seating area, making his way out of the auditorium and out to the street to look for the valet. He spotted the suited man, and requested his car. As he was waiting, he looked at his cell phone and found the name of a hospital not to far from where he was in a text message from Minho. 

 

As soon as his car was brought around, Jonghyun made his way to the hospital the quickest way he knew how. Blessed with empty streets and green lights, it didn’t take him but ten minutes to make his way to the hospital. He almost lost his mind trying to find a parking space, but finally managed to make his way inside. 

 

At the front dest, he asked for the rooms of Kim Danny and Lee Taemin and was told that they were both in 316. When questioned about his relation to them, he didn’t hesitate in answering that he was Danny’s dad. The nurse shot him a weird look, no doubt that Key had introduced himself as the same thing. Before he made his way upstairs though, Jonghyun decided to stop by the gift shop to pick up a few things. 

 

While standing in the elevator with full hands, Jonghyun wondered whether they happened to watch his acceptance speech. As he was driving to the hospital he considered it, though his award was probably the last thing on their minds. 

 

He had said some things that he hadn’t even discussed with Key. Though to be honest, his speech was much more of a confession to himself than a proclamation to the world. He realized a few things while standing up there. Specifically that he wanted to be a real family, not that they weren’t already. 

 

Jonghyun wanted to make it official though. For when he pulled out his phone and someone questioned his background, he could introduce Danny and Key as his family. He wanted much more. More than being placed on the pick-up list at Danny’s school. More than having the employees at Key’s restaurant greeting him with familiarity. More than having a key to Kibum’s apartment. 

 

The opening elevator doors revealed a sight that he hadn’t expected and it broke his heart, just a little.  

 

“Am I interrupting something?” Jonghyun asked, only half joking. He saw Minho and Kibum pull out of their embrace with tears in their eyes. He was only half joking because he didn’t want to intrude as they commiserated about their loved ones being hurt. They were his loved ones too, but he was painfully aware that he had no real claim on anyone in the particular hospital room they were standing outside of. 

 

“Hey baby,” Key greeted him, wrapping his arms around Jonghyun’s neck, completely disregarding the bags he was clutching. 

 

“Hi,” he replied quietly, dropping said bags and returning the embrace as tightly as he could. Key seemed to find comfort in his arms, his shoulders loosing some of their tenseness and chest expanding as he took the deep breath that he needed. “How are they?”

 

“Taemin’s kinda beat up, but nothing worse than some fractured ribs and a sprained ankle.” Key sighed into his chest where his face was buried. “Danny has a broken arm but is fine other than that.”

 

Instead of replying, Jonghyun simply rubbed his hands up and down Kibum’s back in a hopefully soothing manner. He looked up to find Minho sneaking back into the room he assumed held Taemin and Danny. 

 

Raising his hands to cup Key’s face, he pulled his boyfriend away from his body and stared into his eyes for a second before pressing a soft kiss to his lips. It was a chaste kiss, they were in a hospital after all, but it was full of emotion. It was full of the worry that he had felt being alone in the auditorium, full of the happiness he felt knowing that Taemin and Danny were okay, and full of the love he felt for Key. 

 

Key returned the peck with a kiss of his own, lasting longer and pressing harder than Jonghyun had. As they pulled away, Key happened to look down and notice the bags that were waiting at their feet.

 

“What’s all this?” Key questioned, bending down a little to bring the bags towards his inquisitive eyes. 

 

“Well,” Jonghyun chuckled, “just a few things.” Key went through the first bag, pulling out four stuffed animals and clicking his tongue at each one he found. “I thought that Danny could use a pick me up, and he always gets so excited at the different animals. He almost has the whole zoo now, if you count these,” he explained. 

 

Key just laughed and the assortment of stuffed animals, probably because he was well versed on Danny’s quest to find a stuffed animal that corresponded with all the animals he saw at the zoo. It had been a bit of a project, mainly funded by Jonghyun. 

 

Jonghyun waited for Key to put back the stuffed animals and to pick up the second bag before clearing his throat to make his confession. As Key pulled the flowers out of the second bag, his eyes grew wide before Jonghyun could even get a word out. 

 

“That’s right! You won! We saw that you won, so I believe a congratulations is in order,” Key exclaimed, very nearly throwing himself onto his boyfriend, knocking the breath out of Jonghyun. 

 

“You saw that I won?” Jonghyun questioned, suddenly extremely self conscious. He’d never actually voiced out the words that expressed his feelings, and Key found out through a stupid tv set. And all he said was congratulations, was that his way of avoiding responding to my feelings, Jonghyun questioned silently. He wasn’t sure what to expect when his boyfriend pulled away from the hug, but an affectionate smile was not it. 

 

“Well,” Key started and Jonghyun’s heart picked up the pace. “We actually only saw you exiting the stage, but that obviously meant that you won!” Key gave a small cheer before he frowned slightly. “I’m sorry for not being there on your big night.”

 

Exhaling the breath he had been holding, Jonghyun shook his head. “I understand. Hell, I wouldn’t have stayed there if you didn’t make me.” Although he wanted to tell Key all about his speech, there was a part of the lyricist that thought that there was a better time to talk about his feelings. Especially with the semi trauma they had all been through tonight. 

 

Key smiled fondly at Jonghyun, very nearly melting his insides. “I’m going to stay here tonight, but you should go out and celebrate with your team. I’m sure they’re waiting for you.” 

 

Jonghyun doesn’t know whether to scoff in offense or laugh at the suggestion. He decides to do neither and simply shakes his head. “I’m where I need to be.”

 

Key eventually makes the time to relay the story of what happened while sitting in Jonghyun’s lap on one of the couches in the halls of the hospital. As much as it fills Jonghyun with rage, having Kibum in his arms helps keep him grounded. 

 

That night, as he is attempting to make himself comfortable in the cot that the hospital so reluctantly provided, Jonghyun looks to his left to watch Key and Danny cuddle in the small hospital bed. As much as he is upset about the situation, and will be sure to hire the best lawyer in all of Korea to make the bastard who did this will suffer as much as possible to the furthest extent of the law, he’s glad he’ll wake up to his favorite people. 

 

He whispers a quiet I love you into the air before drifting off to sleep.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A/N: Hello lovelies! 

 

Here is the latest chapter :) a lot quicker than the last two chapters too! I had a little bit of a chance to write while helping my sister with an essay, so I decided to update! I'm not too sure when the next chapter will be up because I don't have another day off from work until next Sunday, and so yeah. I apologize in advance. 

 

Some of you were anticipating the speech, I hope I did it justice. I swear I rewrote it like eight times. I hope you like it. 

 

As always, thank you for reading! Leave me a comment! Subscribe! Upvote if you'd like! IDK i like hearing from you guys :)

 

<3