Chapter Twenty One

Misunderstandings

 

Key woke up on Saturday morning to an upside-down grinning face right above his. He wasn't sure, but there was a faint warmth on his forehead that he could probably attribute to Danny's lips or hands (his preferred method of waking up his dad). A smile automatically adorned his face, regardless of his nearly sleepless night. 

 

He had been worrying about Jonghyun and whatever he was going to choose to do. It had been a while since he genuinely liked someone, so he was hoping that this one was willing to stick around for a substantial amount of time. Key felt that he couldn't really voice his concerns to anyone, since very few people were privy to the non-relationship he was in with Jonghyun. He considered telling the three stooges, Woohyun, Jinwoon, and Mir, but thought that their teasing personalities weren't the best to deal with when he was vulnerable. They meant the best, but their foots were perpetually in their mouths. 

 

Instead of venting, Kibum decided that the next best thing was to distract himself with a completely occupying activity. Last night, it had been watching Lilo & Stitch: The Series for four hours straight. He had allowed Danny to stay up well past his bedtime just to keep him company. It would also allow the both of them to sleep in the following morning. 

 

Which was why he was surprised that Danny's head was floating above his own. Key turned to look at the clock, it showed that it was just past 11 a.m., a good three hours later than Danny usually woke him. 

 

"Daddy, you were talking!" Danny giggled. "What's a jong?"

 

Key couldn't help but blush, apparently even his dreams were plagued by Jonghyun. "Its nothing. Did you just wake up, baby?" 

 

"No, you've been sleeping forevers. I had to brushed my teeth by myself!" Danny replied, opening his mouth widely to show off his clean teeth. 

 

"I'm sorry Danny, why didn't you wake me up?" Key asked, pulling Danny into the bed with him and tucking him under the covers. He noted that Danny's pajama shirt was soaked, probably due to his adventure in the bathroom. Usually, Danny would wake up Key before anything else. 

 

"I was talking on your phone!" Danny exclaimed. Key looked at him, puzzled. "I saw Uncle Jinwoon's face on the phone and it was buzzing, so I pressed the buttons and I talked to him."

 

"What did he say?"

 

"He told me to be a big boy and that he thought I could brush my teeth. Oh! He said he was coming over with Uncle Woo and Uncle Mir." Danny said suddenly. Key groaned, knowing that his friends coming over meant that he was probably going to be cooking for all of them. "I was gonna watch more cartoons but I wanted you to watch them with me."

 

Just as Key sat up in his bed, he heard the doorbell ring. "Danny, how long ago did you talk to Jinwoon?" 

 

"I dunno." Danny shrugged. 

 

Key made his way to the living room when the front door opened to reveal his three best friends talking amongst themselves. 

 

"KEY! DANNY! WE'RE HERE!" Mir yelled out from behind the other two. 

 

"You don't have to yell, Mir-ya. We're right here." Key replied, rubbing his face. 

 

With that, the guys stepped into the apartment, Jinwoon sweeping Danny up in his arms. They didn't bother with polite greetings, all of them making their way to the kitchen. Eighty percent of the time they spent together was around food. 

 

"Why are you still in PJ's?" Woohyun asked. 

 

"Daddy and I stayed up watching cartoons! It was already tomorrow when we went to sleep!" Danny explained excitedly. 

 

"Whoa! You stayed up all the way to tomorrow? You're a big boy now Danny!" Jinwoon joked poking him softly all over. As Danny squirmed around, JInwoon faced Key, "That's way past bedtime. Something wrong?" Even though the four of them were the same age, JInwoon was always concerned with the well-beings of his friends. He seemed to have a knack for knowing when something was wrong from the simplest of details. 

 

"Nah," Key answered taking out pans and food from the refrigerator, "I just wanted to sleep in today."

 

"I want pancakes!" Woohyun yelled out. The rest of the guys all shushed him, telling him that pancakes weren't served here. 

 

The morning transitioned into afternoon with eggs benedict and fresh muffins being demanded by the majority. The guys all took turns catching each other up on their lives around the dining room table, which was their usual routine. It had actually managed to take Key's mind off of the impending phone call that either would or would not come. 

 

As the guys made their way to the couch, they were questioning Danny about his week at school and deciding what movie to watch. 

 

"Please not Lilo and Stitch!" Jinwoon cried out. 

 

"How about Mulan?" Woohyun suggested.

 

"Lion King?" Mir questioned. 

 

As much as they hated the movie, they were all aware that it was probably the one they would end up watching. Each one of them had sat through the movie enough times that they could recite it as a play between the four of them. 

 

With a single pout, Danny was able to convince them to put on the forsaken movie. Instead of sitting with them in the living room, Key made his way to the kitchen to clean up. Even though he was the one who cooked, he kind of liked the peace and quiet of cleaning the kitchen alone. His hands were kept busy and his mind was quiet. 

 

Key washed the dishes absentmindedly, a tiny bit glad that he didn't have to watch the movie with everyone else. He looked over at the clock which read 1:47 p.m.. Even though he didn't want to think about Jonghyun, he couldn't help it. 

 

Taemin had told him that he and Minho would talk to Jonghyun over brunch, and that they would make sure that he would call Key. Good news or bad news, he would be receiving a call. Key sincerely hoped that it would be good news. He hadn't had fun with someone who was actually interested in him in quite a long while. There was a weird connection between them, and Key kind of wanted to explore where things could go. 

 

It was hard enough to admit his feelings to himself, Key doubted that he had conveyed his interest to Jonghyun. 'What if he thinks I don't like him that much? That's ridiculous though, I told him about Danny. What if I think he likes me more than I think he does? Why am I freaking out right now?' These questions were plaguing his mind as he set the dishes to dry. In an attempt to keep calm, he joined the four boys sprawled out in his living room. He chose to sit on the big couch with Jinwoon and Danny, to snuggle his son for a little while. That would surely take his mind off things. 

 

The guys left to go pick up dinner after a couple more movies, all arguing about the best Thai food around, giving Key a chance to give Danny a bath and get him ready for bed. Danny had had chicken nuggets while they watched Hercules, which was rare for him. 

 

"Daddy, I have to be a regular kid sometimes," he had commented. Key had to laugh, sometimes he forgot that even though his son was a bit of a foodie, there were times that he wanted crappy food. Thankfully, there was a fast food place nearby. 

 

As Key was drying off Danny, he heard his phone ring in his own room. He left Danny putting on his pajamas, sure that it was probably Woohyun asking what his order was again, because that boy was forgetful. 

 

Key made his way over to his bedside table and looked down at the phone, reading Jonghyun's name. To have said that Key was nervous would have been a gross understatement. He steeled his thoughts and answered the phone in a quiet voice. 

 

"Hello?" 

 

"Hey Key." he heard softly. He wasn't sure whether the soft tone was one used to let someone down or what the heck it could mean. 

 

"What's up?" He asked, berating himself. This was so awkward.

 

"Um, not much." Jonghyun answered. 

 

Even though it had been ten seconds into their conversation, Key was feeling the pressure. "Oh my God, make better small talk," he voiced. 

 

Jonghyun's laugh was clear and loud on the other end of the line. "Sorry, I didn't know what to say. This is kinda weird, right?"

 

"Tell me about it. Can we just cut to the chase here? I'm kind of dying of anticipation." Key replied, glad that Jonghyun seemed to be in a happy mood. 

 

"Really now? Dying of anticipation? Way to confess your undying love, Kim Kibum."

 

"Shut up, you know what I meant." Key replied, rolling his eyes. This was part of what he liked about Jonghyun, he could make light of a situation and put people at ease. 

 

"Well," Jonghyun began, taking a long pause before continuing. "I think we should try to make this work." Key sighed heavily, feeling like a load had been taken off his shoulders. However calm he got, he was completely shocked by the next thing that came through the phone. "I want to meet Danny."

 

"You want to meet Danny?!" he repeated loudly. 

 

Behind him came a curious little voice, "Who wants to meet Danny?" Danny asked, referring to himself in the third person. He realized that his dad was on the phone and reached for it. "I want to meet you! Who are you?" he yelled. 

 

"Danny, go put your pants on!" Key yelped, surprised that Danny heard him, bringing the phone back up to his ear. The person on the other end of the phone was completely silent. 

 

"Daddy, you gave me the wrong ones. I can't wear Cars pants with The Incredibles shirt!" Danny laughed, showing Key the pants he was holding. "Who's on the phone, Daddy?"

 

Key looked at his phone, wondering whether Jonghyun had hung up. "A friend."

 

"Uncle Mir said you don't have friends because you're dull. What does dull mean?"

 

"Give me a second, Jonghyun." Key said into the receiver, not waiting for a reply and putting the phone down on his bed. He turned to face Danny, "I do too have friends, and it doesn't matter if your pajamas match. No one is gonna watch you sleep!"

 

"I dunno Daddy, this feels wrong." Danny reasoned, putting his pants on anyway. "Is your friend gonna meet me now?"

 

Key groaned, knowing that Danny wouldn't let this go now. "Why do you want to meet him Danny? You don't even know him."

 

"Uh, if someone likes Danny, Danny likes them!" Danny exclaimed, fully clothed now. 

 

"What about Ah Young, then?" Key asked a bashful Danny. "Go get into bed, I'll be right there."

 

With that, Danny left the room and Key looked at his phone. Hesitantly, he put it back to his ear. There was still nothing but silence. "Sorry about that."

 

"So that was Danny?" Jonghyun asked.

 

"Yep, he's kind of a trip," Key laughed, hoping to alleviate the awkwardness of the situation. "I do think its too early for you to meet him though. We haven't even gone on a date!"

 

"How's Monday afternoon?" Jonghyun asked suddenly. "Doesn't your restaurant close for a while?"

 

"Yeah, but I usually go pick Danny up at school and have him with me for the afternoon." 

 

"Well, um, when are you free?" 

 

"I think I can get Woohyun to pick him up on Wednesday, if you want to have lunch." Key answered, pacing in his room. He knew that they were both busy people, but he was willing to put in the effort if Jonghyun was as well. 

 

"That sounds good. I'll pick you up from the restaurant at three. Okay?" 

 

"Perfect."

 

"Yeah, I'm pretty great," Jonghyun joked. "You sound a bit busy, so I'll let you get back to Danny. See you Wednesday."

 

"Okay, bye." Key replied, ending the call. He made his way back to Danny's room, leaning on the door frame and watching him pick out a book from the shelf. With a smile on his face, he helped Danny settle in for the night. 

 

When his friends came back, he had set the table with dishes and drinks. They dug into their food, discussing more adult topics now that Danny was asleep. After they were done talking about how 'ridiculously hot' Jinwoon's new coworker was, Key faced Woohyun. 

 

"Hey, do you mind picking Danny up from school on Wednesday? And actually keeping him with you until six?" he asked. 

 

"Sure. What do you have going on Wednesday?" Woohyun asked, still shoveling food in his mouth. 

 

"I have a date," Key answered and three forks hit the table. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Even though Key had managed to keep the details of his date from the guys, he was physically incapable of withholding the information from Nicole.  As soon as she walked into the restaurant on Monday morning, he had dragged her into his office and shared the news. 

 

She had happily squealed along with him, almost jumping up and down. It was also her who suggested that he bring a separate outfit on Wednesday so that he didn't have to go on his date smelling like the kitchen. Key had stayed up for an extra hour, or three, the previous night trying to decide what to wear on his date.

 

He was nervous, not only because it was their first official date, but because it was the first time that everything was out in the open. Jonghyun had said that he wanted to make things work, but what if he didn't realize exactly what that would entail? What if he changed his mind? What if the date was a complete bust? Key struggled with these things as he worked in the kitchen, burning himself several times because his mind was elsewhere. 

 

Key was currently in his office, changing into his black skinny jeans and royal blue cardigan. He had considered putting on some makeup, but Nicole managed to talk him out of it suggesting he not look like he was trying too hard. He'd sneaked some BB cream on, sure that his face would look less than optimal after several hours in the kitchen. 

 

Glancing at his cell phone and ran his hands through his wavy hair. It was two minutes till three, so he made his way out to the front. Nicole was at the hostess stand, chatting with an early Jonghyun. As soon as Jonghyun spotted him, the smile on his face grew exponentially. 

 

'Gosh, he looks good.' Key thought, his eyes raking over Jonghyun's white skinny jeans and black polo. It was a simple look, but man did he work it. 

 

"Ready to go?" Jonghyun asked, holding his hand out. Key was sure that his face flushed as he held the hand extended towards him. He'd never admit it, but his heart picked quickened it's pace in his chest. 

 

"Sure." Key answered as they made their way out. He looked over his shoulder at Nicole who winked conspiratorially. 

 

The couple made their way down the street, hands swinging between them. "I thought I'd take you to my favorite place," Jonghyun said, smiling at Key. "I thought we'd take the train, if that's okay with you."

 

Key nodded and they made their way to the station. Jonghyun's manners were quite impressive, Key noted. He paid for his way onto the subway, let him sit in the only available seat and stood guard in front of him, and even guided him around by the small of his back. It was nearly impossible to keep his heart from fluttering. They made small talk on the way to the restaurant, which was almost in the center of the city. 

 

Jonghyun mentioned that he was seeing less of Fly High, as they were filming several last minute teasers. Key told him about the trouble's he'd had with the farmer's market delivery system. 

 

There was a comfortable air around them, which lasted until they got to the restaurant. It was at the top of a building, with a gorgeous view and romantic atmosphere. As they were seated, they both got a bit awkward. Now that they were facing each other, it was kind of difficult to think of what to talk about. 

 

"So," Jonghyun started, playing with his menu. "Uh. This is awkward."

 

"Ugh, I know." Key replied, setting down his own. "First dates are always weird."

 

"Ha, I really wouldn't know, dating has never been my thing." Jonghyun replied but quickly retracting his statement. "I mean, I don't really go out on many dates. But, I've dated! I just kind of meet people and yeah. Oh my God, I should shut up."

 

Glad that Jonghyun's word vomit had broken the tension, Key laughed. "Its not like I'm surprised, Jonghyun."

 

Groaning, Jonghyun put his head in his hands, mumbling to himself as their waitress appeared. 

 

"Hello, my name is-" the waitress stopped as Jonghyun lifted his face. "Jonghyun?"

 

Key looked between the waitress and Jonghyun, and Jonghyun between he and the waitress. 

 

"Am I having a nightmare?" Jonghyun asked quietly. He muttered something along the lines of 'this isn't happening to me' under his breath. "Hi Soo Jin," he said finally. 

 

"My name is Ji Eun," she corrected, indignantly. 

 

"Right." He said, staring down at his plate. Although he definitely hadn't expected something like this to happen, Key had to giggle. The look on Jonghyun's face of utter distress was amusing to watch. The waitress turned to look at him and smiled. 

 

"Sorry about that sir, your companion and I know each other. How are you doing today?" She asked, her professional demeanor back. 

 

"I'm pretty great, thank you. How are you?" Key asked politely. After making polite chit chat, Ji Eun took their drink orders and left the table. 

 

"I'm so sorry, Key. I forgot she worked here. I forgot about her entire existence, actually. I feel like a . I can't believe this is happening. This is the worst first date ever, isn't it?" Jonghyun apologized as soon as the waitress was no where to be seen. 

 

"Its definitely not dull," Key answered, trying to mask the humor in his voice. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A/N: Hey guys! Here is another update! Woot! 

 

I should probably apologize for the travesty that was the last chapter. I wrote it when I was falling asleep and when I went back to reread, I was like 'What is this?!" I don't even remember writing it, whoops lol. 

 

Anyways, I am much more satisfied with this chapter! 

 

Well then, let me know what you think! 

 

Thank you for reading!

Leave me a comment!

Upvote if you'd like!

 

Love you guys! 

 

P.S. I used this restaurant as inspiration for the date: 

http://www.topcloud.co.kr:8080/

 

P.P.S. What are some of you guys' favorite bands? (K-Pop or otherwise)

I am currently obsessed with the latest Panic! At The Disco album, its amazing.

 

Okay, that's it.